PDA

View Full Version : Dual Mac G5 vs iMac 24"

Soulstorm
Dec 7, 2006, 02:53 AM
I am thinking of selling my G5 and buying a new intel iMac.

Here are my specs:

Mac G5 Dual 2.5 Ghz
1Gbyte RAM
ATI X800XT with 256mbytes VRAM

and buying the 24" iMac.

But I have some questions in mind:
1)Is the new iMac faster than my G5 in applications and/or games?
2)After I purchase my iMac, will I be able to upgrade my graphics card when I need more power?

EDIT: I know that a greater graphics card is a built-to-order option, but I want to know if I can upgrade my graphics card after the purchase.

Darwin
Dec 7, 2006, 07:02 AM
1) The Intel iMac is definitely faster, however it depends on your applications and whether they are Universal and make use of multi processors/cores.

2) As far as I know the graphics processor is still being soldered onto the logic board. So you have to pick which one you want then your stuck with it.

baxterbrittle
Dec 7, 2006, 09:49 AM
Actually on the 24" iMac the GPU is not soldered onto the logicboard but is on a seperate daughter card that uses an (correct me if I'm wrong) XMX or something like that card. Basically it is a laptop equiv of PCIe but finding replacement cards will be difficult to allow upgrades but I'm sure someone will release something if the demand is there. Also I think to buy the GPU as a service part from apple is in the order of around $200 for the 7600GT which isn't that bad considering.