Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ragz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I am unable to use firewire on my macbook pro with the video ipod 60gb version. This ipod is formatted for windows XP...but I want to change that to OS X now. However, each time I try to connect via firewire, the ipod says "firewire not supported, pls connect via USB" Is this due to that windows format?

Anurag

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
ipods act funny when switching from Windoze to mac. Try plugging it usb and changing it. Once changed, you should be able to use the firewire cable.

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
ah...that might be true too. I haven't seen the firewire connection since like 2 or 3 gen ipods, before color screens and photo. Have you seen the shuffle chargers!? They charge through the headphone jacks...pretty sweet if you ask me.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
ah...that might be true too. I haven't seen the firewire connection since like 2 or 3 gen ipods, before color screens and photo. Have you seen the shuffle chargers!? They charge through the headphone jacks...pretty sweet if you ask me.

Actually the Photo (with colour screen) supports Firewire. I think it was the last one. I have one that I sync with Firewire so I know it works.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yep, the 4G iPod (all kinds) and 2G mini were the last iPods to be able to transfer data via firewire.

5G iPods, nanos and all shuffles can transfer data via USB only.

epb87

macrumors member
May 14, 2006
Chicago
Yep, the 4G iPod (all kinds) and 2G mini were the last iPods to be able to transfer data via firewire.

5G iPods, nanos and all shuffles can transfer data via USB only.

true that. i have the photo and firewire works fine. why did they quit supporting it?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
true that. i have the photo and firewire works fine. why did they quit supporting it?

probably because it's easier to support only USB2.0 since iPods have to be able to run on both Windows machines and Macs.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
they stopped supporting firewire because they wanted to make the iPods thinner and that meant taking out one of the two chipsets. Since USB 2.0 was faster than 1.1 and more prevalent, i.e. on windows machines, they eliminated the firewire chipset. That is why the new iPods can be so thin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.