Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerialboy77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Hi everyone. I'm new here and i wondered if someone could help. About 2 weeks ago my ipod 3rd generation 20GB seemed to completely die when i connected it to the computer. I got a message in itunes saying the software was corrupted and should be restored, but it wouldn't restore and just died (with the folder+explaination mark icon on the screen). I couldn't do anything for a week, but then managed to put in disc mode and restore the software. It is now working, but seems to freeze every 15mins or so, and doesn't always unmount correctly. Does anyone know what's wrong with it? I know that about 4 days before it "died", itunes updated the software on the ipod - could it be this? If so, how can i get old of an earlier firmware?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The firmware update could have pushed the hard drive over the edge in which case reverting back to the older version won't help. It might be time to buy a new one or take this to a technician. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.