PDA

View Full Version : Ibook hd problems

mike5732
Dec 8, 2006, 02:49 AM
I have an old ibook (600mhz g3, 384 mb ram, 20gb hd). Unfortunately I am getting the question mark during boot, and when it does boot it will sometimes freeze and make clicking sounds. I am guessing that this means it has a bad hard drive, so my plan is to replace the hard drive and reinstall OS X.

First of all, will this hard drive work properly in the ibook?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152501

Secondly, I am planning on upgrading from 10.2.8 to Tiger when I install the new hard drive. According to the system requirements on the Apple site it should be compatible with Tiger, but does anyone have experience on how well Tiger runs on a computer of this vintage?

I have looked over guides about replacing the hd. While it looks like an intricate process I think it is doable. My main concern is to get a hard drive that is compatible. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

tuftywhite
Dec 8, 2006, 07:50 AM
Secondly, I am planning on upgrading from 10.2.8 to Tiger when I install the new hard drive. According to the system requirements on the Apple site it should be compatible with Tiger, but does anyone have experience on how well Tiger runs on a computer of this vintage?

I've got an iBook G3 800GHz which I've passed on to my girlfriend to use. It's running the latest version of Tiger and it's lovely. Some of the effects, when adding new widgets or switching users via Fast User Switching, don't work but apart from that it's fine.

deebster
Dec 8, 2006, 07:59 AM
Your iBook's HD may not necessarily be borked. It may just be a software problem, so before you shell out for a new one I'd try booting from an external HD or bootable CD (your OS X install disk maybe) and use Disk Utility to check the HD.

As far as Tiger is concerned it will run,but you are a bit short on RAM really. My iBook has 640 MB and still beachballs a fair bit.

To be honest, you might be better off with Panther, as it'll be cheaper to buy and less demanding system-wise.

**Edit

My work PC's space bar is fooked

mike5732
Dec 8, 2006, 08:39 AM
I have already tried booting off an OS X cd and running the disc utility. I ran the "verify" on the internal hard drive. It ran quite quickly but found no errors. Is this the correct thing to have done? I know on the windows side this type of thing (check disk) takes a while to run. I also did the "fix permissions" since the verify permissions did come up with errors. Is there anything else I should try before plunking down the money for a new hd?

As far as the Tiger vs Panther, the reason I am going for Tiger is that I already have a set of Universal install cd's for it. I no longer have the original install cd's that came with the computer.