PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Mac Genius

MacBytes
Dec 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Confessions of a Mac Genius (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061208155906)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

swingerofbirch
Dec 8, 2006, 03:20 PM
God that guy sounds like a jerk. I can see why Apple doesn't want them talking to reporters.

GoCubsGo
Dec 8, 2006, 03:28 PM
This guy is Apple PR's worst nightmare. He sounds like the dick I think somoe tech people are. Just as they laugh at us, I usually find myself laughing at them.

bubba451
Dec 8, 2006, 03:34 PM
I remember when I was 19...

yellow
Dec 8, 2006, 03:42 PM
He's just saying what a lot of information technology professionals think everyday.

To me it looks like he's burned out and needs a vacation or a job change.

If your job revolved around tons of repetitive mindless stupid questions every day.. don't you think you'd be a prick too?

Rojo
Dec 8, 2006, 03:42 PM
I don't know if I'd say he sounds like a jerk, per se (except for maybe being a little mean about people who might be a bit computer naive). He just sounds really, really bitter about the stupid people he has to deal with on a daily basis. I know lots of people in the service industry, including two Apple store employees (one of which is a Genius), and they ALL have a lot to legitimately bitch about.

There's a lot to learn from this, and people DO need to treat MG's, waiters and the like like human beings if they expect to get any kind of respect or good service. Having been to the Genius Bar a few times myself, I've always had GREAT service -- but then I've always been patient and treated the people who've helped me quite well. I've also seen customers who come in screaming from the get-go, or acting all priveleged, and they sometimes get the "sarcasm" that's talked about here. But that's the worst I've seen, and it's usually directed at customers who deserve it. If it was me as a MG, and someone talked to me the way some of these customers do, I would probably fly off the handle. It's amazing that some of these MG's have so much patience, considering that they deal with that kind of crap on a daily basis...

Max Payne
Dec 8, 2006, 03:59 PM
I liked it... He is being honest. People don't like honesty. They prefer people who lie into their face.

Don't ask for a free repare, if your macbook fell in the water while having a bath. :D

AJ Muni
Dec 8, 2006, 04:01 PM
Any1 want to post the article here? I'm at work, and the internet block doesnt let me visit that site, and I'm reaaaaalllllllyyyyyy bored here :cool:

MacFan782040
Dec 8, 2006, 04:01 PM
I worked in retail for 3 years, and yes, people can be rude, and I can imagine the stress of working as a Mac Genius, but I think this guy takes it too far...Whenever somebody talked back to me or gave me a hard time, I'd stay calm and sweet talk them the best I could. Why get worked up about somebody you don't even know?

FleurDuMal
Dec 8, 2006, 04:02 PM
Nothing that surprising. This is pretty common in menial service jobs. I worked in telesales for quite a few months and we all reverted to exactly the same kind of bitter, vicious humour in dealing with how tedious every customer interaction became. I ended up saying some really nasty things (through the veil of sarcasm, of course), as did the person on the other end of the phone.

The customer doesn't really want to be speaking to the staff as they just wish their machine was doing what they bought it to do. The staff doesn't want to be speaking to the customer as they find their job pretty boring and would rather be doing something more enjoyable. If we expect both sides to behave impeccably to each other we are living in fantasy land.

Rojo
Dec 8, 2006, 04:07 PM
I'm just surprised that being a Mac Genius is apparently a low-paying job.
Perhaps if they were better paid, they would have more patience with rude customers? :confused:

yellow
Dec 8, 2006, 04:21 PM
I'm just surprised that being a Mac Genius is apparently a low-paying job.

I believe the average starting salary is just under $35k/year.

Any1 want to post the article here? I'm at work, and the internet block doesnt let me visit that site, and I'm reaaaaalllllllyyyyyy bored here :cool:

Busted machines, broken iPods, and crabby customers are just part of the job. Making it look easy is the other part.

Any service industry/retail position is bound to have its share of abusive customers. For Mac Genii, the tech support arm of every Apple Store, their customer relationship always starts off on the wrong foot. One part customer service rep, one part tech support, and another part baby sitter, the folks behind the "Genius Bar" help customers with their computer or iPod be it software of hardware. Hopefully, whatever the issue may be, MG's can resolve it or at least offer a repair solution. But again, the process of technical triage begins with unhappy customers and bad news.

Most people aren't aware of how integral technology is in their lives until an issue arises. Photos, music, email all play a role in how we communicate and keep our memories. How would anyone feel if all those memories became interrupted by a crashed hard drive? Nobody (and I mean nobody) makes an appointment just to wait thirty minutes during their lunch break at a crowded Apple Store and say, "Hi, I just wanted to let you know that my computer is running great! I haven't lost any data, my iMac never freezes up or overheats, Apple is not responsible for any problems that may occur, everything runs perfectly." Although, any customer who says that will most likely be hugged by a crying Mac Genius.

It's not everyday an MG gets to talk about how they really feel to the public. I had an email conversation with one such Mac Genius about his job and his experiences. When I asked him about doing the interview, he thought is was a great idea, but the interview had to be anonymous to the point of not even his store or city could be revealed.

From our conversation, I got the sense that there seems to be a kind of mythology surrounding MG's. Customers needing help with their Apple products have the unreal expectation that MG's can fix anything... for free. Customers seem to expect MG's to be knowledgeable in everything. Mac Genius is more of a marketing term than actual Mensa status. Some former Mac Genii have websites dedicated to debunking unrealistic expectations and perceived attitudes surrounding this largely underpaid job.

The access to information afforded to MG's can be tricky. Working within a layer of inside knowledge (at a company whose culture of secrecy is epic) can put an MG in an awkward position. On one hand, it's the job of an MG to help the customer and make them happy, on the other, they still have to be the face of Apple which means sometimes pleading ignorance about a known issue to a customer. For instance, a while back Apple settled on a class-action lawsuit over some iPods of a specific model that used defective batteries. What are the odds that MG's noticed a trend of poor battery performance? Chances are, they did but couldn't say anything about it.

But the job isn't entirely thankless. Quickly fixing a computer for a customer can make their day and that can be its own reward. Being appreciated goes a long way as it turns out.

My Interview with A Mac Genius

What should people realistically expect when they need to see a Mac Genius?
They should expect a long wait. Just because you're appointment is scheduled for 5:00 doesn't mean yo can stroll right up to the Genius Bar and get help. Name one friggin' place that will see you exactly at your scheduled appointment time without any wait. Now you may ask yourself why you would have to wait if your appointment is at 5:00 and that's when you showed up; because we're dealing with other people that are just as arrogant as you!

Sarcasm. Yeah, they should expect sarcasm. But in two different forms: There's the nice sarcasm, where we like you, think you're a cool customer, and we're just trying to lighten the mood of a potential bad situation (meaning something like a major hardware failure). And there's the other sarcasm, the one where you've proven yourself to be a complete prick, self centered, and completely clueless. This is a more condescending sarcasm that all Mac Geniuses are thoroughly trained in, we are able to deliver this and then be thanked for it by the customer.

What would be your advice to them?
Get a clue. Make your Genius Bar appointment in advance so that you're at least guaranteed a seat, even if it is an hour past your appointment time. Don't freak out and act like an entitled prick because you came into a busy store with no appointment and there's no available openings left two hours before closing. We don't care. We have to spend 8 hours a day in there, you may only have to spend a few minutes. The Genius Bar at the Apple Store is no place to be in a hurry, be prepared to spend several hours there.

Another piece of advice, don't treat us like ****. That's like treating your waiter at a restaurant like ****, you'll end up with spit (or worse) in your food. Mac Geniuses have complete power to determine how quickly and efficiently your problem is taken care of, or not. Come in here acting like an idiot and you can guarantee we'll stick hard to our policies and cut you no slack.

I also wouldn't recommend coming to the bar and stating you don't know anything about computers but then proceed to tell us how to do our jobs. If you're so friggin' smart, stay home and fix it yourself.

Oh, and don't come in here bragging about how long you've been using Mac's, or that you're a Mac tech at your company, or anything like that. It doesn't impress us and it makes you look stupid when you don't know how to do something simple, like reset your PRAM. We're only going to make fun of you, behind your back.

This is a more condescending sarcasm that all Mac Geniuses are thoroughly trained in, we are able to deliver this and then be thanked for it by the customer.

When you say sarcasm, give me an example? Is there a line you and your team find yourselves overusing?
I wouldn't say we overuse any one particular line, it's more like situation comedy than anything else. I'll give you a couple of examples, let's start first with the good kind of sarcasm, the kind where we're trying to lighten the mood of a bad situation. The one that immediately leaps to mind is a situation where a customers HD is failing and there's a high likelihood they will lose all their data. I would say something like "Well, at least you can start over with a clean slate. How many people get that kind of opportunity in their lives?" Naturally, it is purely a case by case basis as there have literally been times we've had to break out a box of Kleenex at the bar.

The more sinister example is when the customer is a total prick and thinks they're entitled to something more than any other customer, something completely outside what Apple would do for anyone. We'll take an example of a customer who has cracked their display on their portable computer. As we all know, a display can't just crack on it's own, it requires a force of some sort, and there's always a point of impact that can be easily identified. As usual, the customer claims they did nothing and that it just happened on its own. I might say something like "Oh yeah, it's a common thing for LCD screens to just break themselves. Sort of like a form of suicide, like it's unhappy with it's life."

There's also one of the most common forms of sarcasm used pretty much at Genius Bars world wide. Every single day it's a guarantee you will have at least one (more than likely multiple) customer(s) that has a problem and says: "Have you ever seen this before?" Seriously. We work in a service industry, I see nothing but problems all day, you're not unique. My response is usually something like this: "No, no! I've never seen this before. Ever. This is highly unusual."

Another form of sarcasm I like to use is a little more mean spirited as I use it on people who aren't very computer literate and are getting on my nerves by asking asinine questions. And it's usually questions that have already been answered within the time they've been there. I simply start using the most technical jargon I can think of, a kind of technical double-talk. After a few lines of that the novice customer is usually mind blown and completely overwhelmed that they have to leave.

Ok. So Mac Genii are people too. I take it then that the holiday season must be really hectic for you. Just to balance it out, what is your worst customer experience?
Where do I begin? There was the lawyer who's daughter cracked her display, so we wouldn't cover it under warranty. He started yelling and causing a scene and boasting that he's a lawyer and he knows warranties and he's going to sue us if we don't cover it. Which, reminds me of a piece of advice I didn't mention earlier. If you're a customer and you really want help, don't threaten legal action, or any other kind of action. The conversation is over immediately at the first threat. That **** isn't taken lightly.

There's also the customer who threw a fit because her HD died in her 5 year old PowerBook and couldn't understand why it would die and why we wouldn't cover the repair. She actually demanded to speak to a manager and she bitched about how she has owned Macs for more than 10 years and never had a problem and that she shouldn't be having one now. Naturally, we didn't cover her repair.

There's so many more. I could go on forever. I've heard of stories like Geniuses getting iPods thrown at them, I've heard of customers spitting on floors, I've seen customer stand up on the bar stools and yell at Geniuses, I've quite literally seen or heard everything.

And your best?
Same here, where do I begin. I have had many great customer experiences, I've made several really good friends through working at the Genius Bar. And it's the really good customers that make this job worthwhile. The good ones can completely make up for all the bad ones you have to deal with. And there's no shining example, the best customers are simply the ones who have good attitudes, listen to what you're saying, and treat you like a human being. You may not realize this, but there are quite a number of people out there who treat retail employees (and not just Mac Geniuses, and not just Apple Store employees either - all retail) like we're juveniles or second rate citizens. A lot of people condescend to us because we haven't got a 9 to 5 job, we get paid a low wage, and usually work holidays. So it's really nice when people treat us like humans.

If someone has to set up an appointment to see you, obviously there is something wrong. What should people do to their computers to prevent that from happening? Like, what are the some of the mistakes people make with their computers?
Well, not all people make appointments because there's something wrong. Some people think that the Genius Bar is there for training, and that's not the case. We are there for technical support, we troubleshoot problems that you are experiencing. Some people have set up appointments to buy things, or to learn how to use iPhoto, or help installing an application. We don't do these things. Many stores have a Creative Bar, or Studio, that is there to help you learn how to use your computer and the stuff on it, but the Genius Bar is for people having problems.

If you're having a hardware failure on your computer, there's nothing you can really do to prevent that. If the HD is dying, then the HD is dying. That's all there is to it. But we see a lot of software problems at the bar too. The best thing you can do to prevent software problems is to make sure you're installing applications from a trusted source, like the original CD. If you're installing a driver for some peripheral, make sure the driver is up date and compatible with the OS you're running. 99% of all software problems are due to people installing random crap, illegal software, out of date, or incompatible software on their computers.

A common misconception is "Macs don't break." Well, that's just rubbish. Although Macs are reliable, and certainly more reliable than their PC counterparts, they are still a manufactured electronic device running software. That means there is a potential for having problems. However, I always hear "I thought Macs weren't supposed to break" from so many customers. STOP IT! Don't be an idiot. Just because Macs are known for reliability doesn't mean you can just start loading them up with a bunch of crap that you used to run on your machine 10 years ago. ****, get over it, get a clue. That's like a Christian thinking God won't let anything bad happen to him so he jumps off a building to prove it. Then he dies. God may protect you, but he's not going to change the laws of nature for you - especially when you're acting like an idiot.

And which Mac do the MG's own?
Haha. MG's own everything conceivable. I know MG's who have XServes, iMac's, G5's, Mac Pros, Macbooks, Classics, Lisa, you name it. I even know MG's who don't even own a Mac at all. Weird. There's MG's with just 1 Mac, or maybe even 1 Mac and 1 PC, and there's MG's that have 5, 6, 7, or even more computers. In general though, all the MG's always want the latest and newest product, and we're constantly blown away at the new stuff that comes out, but just because we work here doesn't mean we can always afford to buy it.

It's time for the flash round! Where I ask a question and you give me a one line response.

Worst broken computer:
One we received back from our depot; it was a PowerBook damaged in shipping, literally folded in half at a 90 degree angle.

Best MG comeback line:
Customer: You don't look like you're interested in helping me.
MG: Well, ma'am, you did begin our conversation by stating none of us know what we're doing here.

Most memorable celebrity:
Elvis Costello

Number of iPhone questions you've gotten:
Too many to count.

Procare or Don't care, this round is where if you are for it, you Procare it. If you don't like, you Don't care it.

iPod Shuffle: Procare or Don't care:
Don't Care

External Hard Drives: Procare or Don't care:
ProCare

MG Man Love: Procare or Don't care:
ProCare

Babies in an Apple Store: Procare or Don't care:
Don't Care

World of Warcraft players: Procare or Don't care:
Don't Care

Chris Williams writes a weekly column for Nerd Alert! covering geeky topics that affect pop-culture. His iPod is working fine now, thank you.

Eric Piercey
Dec 8, 2006, 04:38 PM
Typical tech attitude, but poor judgement I think to align the interview with his company. Is he telling it like it is? Absolutely. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if he gives great service. Are MG's underpaid? I know so. Are the customers hard to deal with? These are often people at their near worse behavior. My fellow tech's and I slam on users all day long behind closed doors and that's healthy, imho. But - to actually do an interview (anonymous or not) which will go public, and speak of customers in a denigrating way is just bad judgement.

This is why many customers preface their interactions with "you'll think I'm a moron.. but," or worse yet just outright lie to the tech over a completely non-warranty related issue. Nobody wants to be judged. Trust me people, as a veteran technician I can tell you- we don't care. We might grumble over how stupid -people- can be- but name me a profession that doesn't.

That tech is no exception- most of the tech's I've ever known have at least some degree of superiority complex. It comes with the job. We're generally underpaid and as powerless as anyone else in society- until it comes to technology. Then they're in our arena. It doesn't matter if they make 10 figures ot what hat they put on for work, they need our expertise. It doesn't take long for us to realize this and begin to treat people who treat us poorly with equal disdain, regardless- no amplified by their relative station in life. Do we give less than optimal service to complete jerkoffs? The good tech's will make every effort to make even the worse customers relax and look at the relevant issues. The great tech's are those who are able to truly rise above all the human misery and give the customer a positive experience one way or another. It's all about getting the customer off their emotional trip and back into the cold hard world of break/fix. It's about letting them know, "look, here's what we're dealing with- this is how long it will take and this is how much it will cost and no amount of whining will change this," BUT rather than being condescending we do so as would a doctor to a patient, or an accountant his client. That's the essence of a great technician- making them understand the facts in a completely neutral way- no ego involved, just two people and a problem that needs a fix. As progress is made it's often your worse customers who end up being the most grateful.

THEN and only then you go back into the lab or back room or cave and queitly laugh at the day's customers- but knowing you helped every one of them. Life sucks, get a helmet, but don't be assume your technican is a double talking weanie and a complete ass, we're not by necessity. There's a few power trippers out there, of course, and I'm not even sure the interviewee was one of them- but I still think it was in bad taste to even mention his employer. Hopefully people read it with a grain of "MG's are people too," rather than "Apple employees are rude and condescending."

edit - and no I don't work in an Apple store.

Ensoniq
Dec 8, 2006, 05:37 PM
Basically, the dude is an ass-hat.

That about sums it up. :)

IJ Reilly
Dec 8, 2006, 06:04 PM
Finally, the perfect cure for insomnia.

That's the other kind of sarcasm.

:rolleyes:

tech4all
Dec 8, 2006, 07:25 PM
It was a good read. But I didn't like most of the tone of the "Genius". If I hadn't gone to a MG before, I'm not sure I would want to go after reading that. Although some of the stuff they said was true and common sense. It's a good thing they didn't ID themselves....not sure if Steve would be happy reading that.

CanadaRAM
Dec 8, 2006, 07:38 PM
Well, I've been doing this for 20 years now.

I just came back from a client's Christmas party where they introduced me to people as "Trevor, who rescues us and keeps us running" and gave me a "Rescue Squad" action figure. ;) (They publish over 3,000,000 issues of magazines per year, I've been with them since Day One on their first mag.)

Days like these make up for the &&@*y ones, But treat customers right, and there are very few &&@*y days.

swingerofbirch
Dec 8, 2006, 09:46 PM
Well I can say in general I try very hard to be nice to people in customer service because I understand they are not the company. I worked at McDonald's in high school. And some people were just very rude. They would get furious if their food took a long time. The rudest people were the ones in the drive-thru who were served the fastest. The social structures--like a business and customer--create behavior that is not human-like.

Take an example of a man who shouted obscenities at me because his food was late at the drive thru. If I were to imagine him over at my house for dinner and the food was going to take an extra ten minutes, I hardly think he would have been so cross with me.

Or to be even closer, say it was a very expensive French restaurant, I doubt he would have been as cross.

But companies create an expectation--for McDonald's that the food is fast.

Apple creates quite high expectations as well. Apple products are sold as being superior--that's what the whole Mac campaign is about. And Geniuses--in name alone are sold as being superior-- http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Of course, none of this is reflective of the fact that people are people.

Imagine that your best friend built you a computer. And you had a problem with it. You would probably be more worried about not offending the friend, and the friend would probably be more worried about not dissapointing you, than if you were an Apple customer and your friend were Apple, to continue my earlier analogy.

A is jump
Dec 8, 2006, 11:14 PM
that guy isnt a Mac Genius. End of Story

and if he is... he should quit his job. Any time you are in Service, you have to deal with people.

my experiences with the mac geniuses in San Francisco were always good. they were always on schedule or close to it, and they were always polite and helpful. even to people customers who were being rude.

then again is this story supposed to be funny or something?

dornoforpyros
Dec 9, 2006, 08:55 AM
before you jump all over this guy and label him a jerk stop and think for a second. Would you like the conversations you have about work over friday night drinks put up on the net?

Everyone talks bad about their jobs at some point, even if you have the best job in the world you still need to let off steam and say things that you'd prefer your employer/clients/customers don't hear about.

swingerofbirch
Dec 9, 2006, 12:05 PM
I got the impression that this was an interview he wanted to be released. The questions were ones like what would you like the public to know, etc. It's also been pointed out it could be fake.

Case-sensitive
Dec 9, 2006, 12:23 PM
The guy sounds cocky and arrogant but how many people here, who work in user-support in any way, can honestly say you haven't encountered some arrogant, blame the IT guy, blame the machine, blame anything except me, it's-all-your-fault user who you'd really like to belittle and humiliate?

I'm of an age now where I can smile sweetly, massage their egos, not take it personally, be diplomatic enough to gently imply they MIGHT have something to do with the problem without getting their backs up etc etc.

The guy's young - he'll learn.

rockthecasbah
Dec 9, 2006, 01:13 PM
I work in retail and while i agree it's a problem when you get ******* customers, but the fact is you are being paid to put up with it. You don't have the option of choosing who to help, when, and under what speed or ability you perform your job. You receive a wage as an understood agreement to work courteously and efficiently to help customers with what they come to you for.

Random MG: People are stupid, you chose to work a job that you have to help lots of them. They are selfish and want what's best for them and like to complain about what they don't like and think is wrong. Suck it up and deal with it.

Sesshi
Dec 9, 2006, 01:29 PM
Sounds like someone who could let free with his frustrations since he was guaranteed anonymity. Doesn't sound entirely unreasonable really. From his later answers I'd say he is a Genius. The few times I've been to the Genius Bar in London's store and overheard people talking to the Genii, there have been some jawdropping moments in their ignorance about service in general and even possibly common sense - not just computers. I'm surprised they do reply with such grace.

I work in the service industry but I'm in the fortunate position of being able to pick my clients from a waiting list - and as a result I take absolutely no BS. Due to the nature of my business I do expect clients to be prima donnaish but if I have a problem with them I immediately tear up the contract. I have done it a few times.

Eric Piercey
Dec 9, 2006, 01:53 PM
before you jump all over this guy and label him a jerk stop and think for a second. Would you like the conversations you have about work over friday night drinks put up on the net?

Everyone talks bad about their jobs at some point, even if you have the best job in the world you still need to let off steam and say things that you'd prefer your employer/clients/customers don't hear about.

exactly. I think it would have been just as effective to have said he's a tech at a popular computer store chain. All this did was irritate people toward Apple when it would have otherwise been a harmless story.

wmmk
Dec 9, 2006, 02:02 PM
well, at least the guy was honest, but really, all the apple store employees i've ever met have been way more courteous than that. then again, i try to give retail people more respect than this guy apparently gets.

gothiquegirrl
Dec 9, 2006, 03:09 PM
From The Official Apple Site:

The place to go for advice, insight, and hands-on technical support.
Wondering how to use a new program, import your music into iTunes, or go wireless? What if your Mac or iPod needs to be repaired? Look no further than the Apple Store Genius Bar, where you can talk face-to-face with a highly trained Mac Genius. Our Geniuses will answer all your technical questions, troubleshoot problems, and explain it all in language thatís easy to understand.

And although what the guy says :

Well, not all people make appointments because there's something wrong. Some people think that the Genius Bar is there for training, and that's not the case. We are there for technical support, we troubleshoot problems that you are experiencing. Some people have set up appointments to buy things, or to learn how to use iPhoto, or help installing an application. We don't do these things. Many stores have a Creative Bar, or Studio, that is there to help you learn how to use your computer and the stuff on it, but the Genius Bar is for people having problems.

May be true.. It seems to me like it's in direct conflict with what the Official Apple Site says. Atleast in a general sense. Call me stupid.. but if he wants to be irritated he should take it up with Apple.. and not our on the customers.

Having worked in the service industry for several years in my life.. yes, you get really horrible customers.. and Yes, they frustrate you. However, there is no need to be an @$$. Just do your job the best you can.. take a min to get a grip if you have a particularly awful cutomer.. get paid.. go home.. enjoy all the toys you've worked hard to have.

The End.

Graeme A
Dec 9, 2006, 06:40 PM
The times I have used the Genuis Bar, I have had only good (and exceed expectation) experiences. I have not had to go in with the "OMG, My laptops dead." type of thing but, getting new rubber feet put on my aging PB, and to ask advice on my dead iPod (I didn't know it was truly dead at that point), and the guy took away the iPod and came back with a replacement one and said, "here you go, sign this".

When I get a good result, I try to look them in the eye, say thank you and shake their hand.

This guy sounds a complete ass who should be stuck in the back room fixing machines and not let out in public.

IJ Reilly
Dec 9, 2006, 07:29 PM
Random MG: People are stupid, you chose to work a job that you have to help lots of them. They are selfish and want what's best for them and like to complain about what they don't like and think is wrong. Suck it up and deal with it.

Or more to the point, if you don't like people, then don't work in a job where you have deal with people all day long.

As the Chinese proverb goes, "A man who does not smile should not open a shop."

nagromme
Dec 9, 2006, 11:00 PM
"However, I always hear "I thought Macs weren't supposed to break" from so many customers. STOP IT! Don't be an idiot."

Apple does make some overly-broad statements along those lines. I guess the Genius Bar takes some of the fallout!