Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insan56

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
my powerbook has just recently started this high piched squeal! its goes on and on and never quits! does anyone know what is happening and what i should do to make it stop?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Where does it sound like it's coming from? Is it the fans/hard drive/optical drive? To check if it's the speakers, see if it disappears when you mute the volume. When you restart, how soon after pressing the power button does it start up? :)

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
It may be the vents failing.

I remember seeing that that noise means that your vents are failing. Get it checked.

insan56

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
i think it is the fans. it seems evey time that i turn it on it starts to happen! monday i think i am going to call Apple Care. do you think im going to have to take it in and get it serviced?

insan56

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
this is in reply to this thread that i posted a long time ago i never took my PB in but i found out what was causing the sound! it was a program called Charla 2.0 (chat with yahoo's chat rooms) when i would launch it, it would make my PB squeal!!! so i uninstalled the program and now its fine... why would it do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.