PDA

View Full Version : Seriously considering the move but.....

rotlex
May 2, 2003, 12:52 AM
Hi there,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Steve, a LONG time PC user and current, for the past 6 years or so, Windows NT/2000 administrator. Recently, the past year or so, I had become serverely interested in Linux due to the fact I had to learn it to install and support a number of VMware servers running on IBM e-Series servers for work. I fell in love with it. Linux that is. So much so, that I started using it at home on an older PC I had lying around. So what the heck does this have to do with a mac you say? Well, the bottom line is, Linux can't handle all of my home needs. Primarily photograhy, video and a bunch of other stuff. (While the Gimp may be great, it ain't no Photoshop).

Anyway, I came across a few articles on Mac OS X and said to myself, wait a minute, you mean I can have a Unix based OS and still have all the apps I really want to run? WOW! I was already sold, and I hadn't ever even tried one out.

Well, since then, I've spent A LOT of time reading articles, forums etc. etc. and I think I've decided a G4 tower is the way to go for me. Now, to the whole point of this writing. I just can't bite the bullet yet! I mean, I thoroughly believe the Mac will suite me better for home use than any other machine out there, but I just can't get over the cost compared to a PC. I know, I'm sure it's been discussed many times, but, as newbieish as it may be, I can't get over the hump of spending nearly 1000 or so more dollars for the G4 than I will for, in my head, a faster PC. :( To throw another wrench into the mix, now I keep reading about new stuff being released in the near future. The whole IBM chip thing that is. Mmmm, what to do. I've kind of been agonizing over this for a few days now, and just can't seem to come to a decision.

Forgive me for rambling on this, but i'ts kind of late here, and I guess I'm just blowing off some steam about this decision. As I don't NEED a replacement computer right now, maybe I should just hang out and wait to see what the coming months bring. Problem is, I HATE WAITING, LOL.

Anywho, thanks for listening, and take care all. I'll probably be spending some time on these boards as it seems like a great bunch of folks are here.

sparkleytone
May 2, 2003, 01:02 AM
if you are really set on a tower and are able to wait, then wait. i would wait at least until after the WWDC conference in June just to see what you may or may not be up against in terms of product cycles. if you aren't married to the idea of a tower, an iMac is a pretty sweet purchase.

yzedf
May 2, 2003, 01:09 AM
Wait. The G4's are a bit tired... wait and see if the 970 comes to fruition in the next few months. Funny how many swtchers are from the win to linux to OS X camp (me too).

scem0
May 3, 2003, 12:59 AM
I know.... if apple needs to work on one thing, it needs to be on
getting prices down. I am 15 and I have to buy my own computer,
so I can understand having doubts about getting a mac. ;)

But you should wait for the 970 like I am. :)

rotlex
May 4, 2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the responses here folks. As much as I know "waiting it out for the next bit thing" can mean forever in the computing world, I'm really leaning towards waiting to see what happens with the 970 over the next month or so.

Being so new to the Mac arena, and having waited this long, I would just really HATE to spend 3-4K on a new machine today, only to find out there's some major new stuff released in the next few months.

This always drove me nuts about computers in general, but from all the news tidbits out there, I think I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens!

Falleron
May 4, 2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by rotlex
Thanks for the responses here folks. As much as I know "waiting it out for the next bit thing" can mean forever in the computing world, I'm really leaning towards waiting to see what happens with the 970 over the next month or so.

Being so new to the Mac arena, and having waited this long, I would just really HATE to spend 3-4K on a new machine today, only to find out there's some major new stuff released in the next few months.

This always drove me nuts about computers in general, but from all the news tidbits out there, I think I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens!
I suggest you wait until the 970 is released. There are so many advancments that will happen to the motherboard + other components that you should really wait. Once these come out, then you will be able to justify the extra cost. Dont forget, its been proven time and again that Macs are cheaper to run over the long term as well.

Zeke
May 4, 2003, 09:57 AM
I felt like replying about the price problem as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that unlike PCs, a new mac will last you a lot longer than a PC will. My last mac was a 200 Mhz 604e (that I finally upgraded to a 300 G3) but I had it for 5 years. Most PCs that are 5 years old running are tired and aching. I had no problems with this computer and it worked fine for most things that I used with it (I even played Diablo II on it which was pretty demanding). So, where PCs outdate themselves in a year, macs last as long as you want to use them. My Dad used a Mac IIcx doing studio music until he finally couldn't stand how slow it had gotten with Performer. He then bought a 350 Mhz G4 when it first came out. He's still using that and relatively happy (of course he would love a new dualie but...what're you gonna do). If you take into account how long the computer will last, the price really isn't that bad.

I also think that Windows has a built in system to slow down your computer based on how old it is. Have you ever noticed that Windows is much slower a couple years after you get a new computer. Even if you reinstall it still doesn't matter. I think they do that so you buy a new computer and force the re-purchase of Windows...not a bad idea if all you care about is stealing money.

Flowbee
May 4, 2003, 11:24 AM
When I switched (last december), I bought a G4 Cube with 1gb of ram for $700. It runs OS X and all of my apps (dreamweaver, photoshop, iapps) just fine. I just didn't feel comfortable dropping several grand on switching to an OS that I wasn't sure I would like (plus the rumors of the 970 just around the corner). The best part is that even when the 970's *do* come out, if I want to sell my cube, I'll probably be able to get back what I paid for it, due to the fact that people buy cubes as much for their style as anything.

You may want to try going this route, just to "test the waters" until the next generation is announced.

Falleron
May 4, 2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Zeke
I felt like replying about the price problem as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that unlike PCs, a new mac will last you a lot longer than a PC will. My last mac was a 200 Mhz 604e (that I finally upgraded to a 300 G3) but I had it for 5 years. Most PCs that are 5 years old running are tired and aching. I had no problems with this computer and it worked fine for most things that I used with it (I even played Diablo II on it which was pretty demanding).
Its true. My last mac (still in everyday use, but have got a dual ghz machine as well now) is a PowerMac 8600/200Mhz 604e. It still runs OS8.6 fine + does everything asked of it. It cant run OSX, but for what I do on it, its great. Certainly, I dont believe that a PC would make it to the 8600's age + still be a useful machine.

patrick0brien
May 5, 2003, 03:59 PM
I also think that Windows has a built in system to slow down your computer based on how old it is. Have you ever noticed that Windows is much slower a couple years after you get a new computer.

The spirit of this is very true. Windows does slow down with use - similar to the effects of engine when talking about a car.

Actually, this is a decent analogy - except the engine of Windows in this case is the registry (mostly). Over time, as one adds programs and registry entries, removes some, adds more, etc. the registry becomes bloated with defunct entries. Windows should clean these up, but is not 100% effective at this.

So this leaves extra things for your computer to pay attention to that really arent doing anything but taking up RAM and CPU cycles.

Even if you reinstall it still doesn't matter.

True, because the registry is often preserved, just other components are replaced fresh.

The real way to go about this is to back up your files, and wipe.

Or use RegEdit to clean your regisry.

I think they do that so you buy a new computer and force the re-purchase of Windows...not a bad idea if all you care about is stealing money.

:D

Well, I doubt this is purposeful as Microsoft can't control every developer out there and any crappy line of code as a result, but I can think of a number of conspiracy theorists who'd find that interesting.

rotlex
Jun 11, 2003, 04:10 PM
Just following up on my own post here as these boards have been very helpful to me. I guess I went and did the unthinkable a few weeks ago when my current PC bit the dust. I needed a replacement, NOW, and well, just couldn't justify spending 3K for a desktop. :( (Wanted a G4 Tower)

Well, I went and bought a Sony Vaio RZ series for around 1500. Fully loaded with just about everything. It's a NICE box, and I needed the video capabilities as well as the speed, 2.66Ghz model with 1GB of ram DVD +- R etc. etc., but I really wish things wouldn't have happend this way and I could have held out until the 970's.

On a lighter note, I STILL need a laptop, but it's not an emergency. I WILL own a powerbook as soon as news on what is going on with the 15" models is verified. I'm figuring the Sony will make a nice desktop unit/server, and heck, I couldn't beat the price for the features. I figure I'll live in the family room with the Powerbook and an airport connected to my router once I can get one.

Anyway, thanks again for all the comments and suggestions in this thread and the others I had posted. I'll be keeping an eye on things and hoping to join the ranks soon!:D

cubist
Jun 11, 2003, 04:17 PM
Why not buy a used G4 tower for $500-$600, load it up with RAM, and see how you like it? Cubes are scarce, and may be a little odd for people used to PCs.

Another thought is, consider an iBook. They're not likely to be upgraded soon, they're rugged and inexpensive, and if you get a tower later on, you can still use it as your portable workshop.

Considering
Jun 12, 2003, 09:05 AM
Just to let you know, I too have been working with PCs for quite some time (4 years) as an MCSE. I am currently the network administrator for a technical training company (we teach microsoft and A+).

A few days ago, I bit the bullet and bought a 15" TiBook, 1ghz, 512 ram, superdrive. I needed something fast, and I like the fact it still boots OS9.

Before I bought this laptop, the most I had ever seen a mac was in setting up my grandmothers iMac (one of the older ones, 300mhz proc?). However, we had one iMac at work, just sitting around, so I decided to take it home and play with it.

It was truly the best decision I've made in a while. My new mac runs great, handles all the tasks I used to throw at my PC (with the exception of many of my games...no way around that loss). But overall, I am very happy with my switch experience so far.

I would definitely encourage you to buy a Powerbook as your laptop...if not just for the fact that the machine's physical design is so much more solid and durable than a PC. It is FAR better designed than pc's as far as portability.

yzedf
Jun 12, 2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
Its true. My last mac (still in everyday use, but have got a dual ghz machine as well now) is a PowerMac 8600/200Mhz 604e. It still runs OS8.6 fine + does everything asked of it. It cant run OSX, but for what I do on it, its great. Certainly, I dont believe that a PC would make it to the 8600's age + still be a useful machine.
Is this the part where I can brag that my Mac Plus can run OS 7...? Just because you can doesn't mean you should, or that it is worth the time / effort. Same goes for Pentium 90 running win95 or win98.

In the end, it's just a tool. As long as it does the job, I am happy.

Falleron
Jun 12, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
Is this the part where I can brag that my Mac Plus can run OS 7...? Just because you can doesn't mean you should, or that it is worth the time / effort. Same goes for Pentium 90 running win95 or win98.

In the end, it's just a tool. As long as it does the job, I am happy.
You do have a point. However, I do believe that an old mac has much more to offer than an old Pc. I spend many hours a day fixing pc's + know from experience that they do go wrong more frequently + generally have a shorter useful life span.

nagromme
Jun 19, 2003, 01:36 AM
I'm in the camb that doubts the 970s are coming next week. But I DO think they'll come this summer, regardless. Wait, and get MUCH more for your money!

Plus, if you wait for Panther, you'll get an even BETTER UNIX desktop, without having to pay for an OS upgrade.

Enjoy your new Mac! Stop back here for help/answers.