Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Hi

My Dad has an Intel iMac Core Duo (1.83GHz, 512Mb) , and I am his tech support. Although due to living so far away, I only see him (and his Mac) about 3 times a year.

He's got a new scanner and he's scanned about 3000 photos in to iPhoto 6.0.5. However, because he's not really got the hang of concepts like DPI, resolution and MB, many of the scans are approaching 10,000 x 7,000 pixels and 10 - 50Mb in size. As a result, iPhoto is running like a 1 legged dog.

What I'd like to do is create some sort of job that can run overnight that will seek out all the photos over a certain size and reduce them. Is there a 3rd party utility that will do this, or possibly an applescript?

Thanks in advance
SL

PS: Have just realised that he's "only" got 512Mb. Would he notice a substantial difference if I convinced him to pay for an upgrade?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Definitely get more RAM. Intel machines need 1GB or more to run efficiently. As for the batch resizing, have you looked into Automator and the Scale Images process? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.