Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
ITunes (v7.02 running on OS 10.4.8) “hangs” upon opening, eg won’t fully open but icon stays in dock with tag reading, “application not responding”.

iTunes will not respond to multiple attempts to "Force Quit", in that when Force Quitting from the Finder it shows in red as not responding, disappears as it should when I tell it to Force Quit, and yet the icon doesn't change in the dock and when I go to Force Quit again from the Finder it is back in the list again as not responding. When attempting to Force Quit from the icon in the dock, nothing happens.

I go to “Activity Monitor”, to find the process ID for iTunes but it's not there, i haven't tried using terminal mostly because i don't know what to do there.

The problem is intermittent. Occasionally it will go away when multiple utilities are run, preferences deleted, etc., but it always comes back. This issue forces hard reboots of my G4 powerbook (since I can't shut down or restart because the Finder hangs on the fact that iTunes will not quit), all to no avail. Otherwise, everything is running fine. I have two main questions:
1) How to fix this specific iTunes problem?
2) How can I force iTunes to quit so that I do not have to hard reboot my computer?

Thank you so much!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Does it do it when you're playing the same song(s)? Do you have an iPod connected? If you open a new user account, check to see if the problem reoccurs. :)

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
no it hangs on startup...i have 2 ipod's connected but one's not configured to open itunes or sync, it's used as an external hard drive. have been doing it for a while never had a problem it started yesterday without warning.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Unplug the iPod(s) and try it again.

did it no help....still can't quit itunes

I have a PBG4 and had this same problem. Found out for me it was because the iPod was plugged in that it hanged for some reason. As soon as I pulled out the iPod iTunes worked again. I'm not sure what it could be as you said you've rebooted multiple times already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.