PDA

View Full Version : G4 Powerbook to Black Macbook?

$MacUser$
Dec 10, 2006, 09:56 AM
Hey there,

I'm milling over a switch from a 1.5 year old Powerbook G4 (17" display, 1.67GHz, 1440x900, 128mb ATI) to the Black Macbook, in its standard configuration. About my only reservation is the jump in screen size. The weight, performance, etc etc etc of the Macbook all beat out my aging powerbook. However, I have become rather accustomed to the 17" display.

Any of you out there make the switch from a Powerbook with one of the larger screens, to the current Macbook? Any drawbacks?

My reasons for switching are thus: for one, its quite obvious the G4 processor pales in comparison to the Core 2 Duo. In fact, I knew the G4 was an obsolete unit even when I purchased this powerbook, but got a decent deal on it. Beyond that, it seems as if the monitor on my 'book, 17", is actually too large for what the performance of this machine actually is, if you understand what I mean. Also, and obviously, this thing is a bit bulky to lug around when all it is really used for is internet surfing and writing documents. If it was a performance powerhouse, a true Power Book, then I wouldnt mind. As it stands, the extra bulk is completely unrequired, and is in fact dead weight. Finally, this particular powerbook has undergone some abuse in the past few months. A few falls from the bed, this and that, has caused the lid to pop up on its own. In fact, when I want it to remain closed I actually have to place it upside-down.

Given all this, I actually have someone who will take the Powerbook off my hands. Although he wouldn't be paying anything for it, my father expressed interest in putting it in his newly refinished basement as a stationary internet machine.

So, my life story aside, what do you guys think regarding a switch from a Powerbook to a Macbook? Don't even suggest a Pro, because the holiday season being what it is, I'm pincing pennies, and trying to avoid making the same mistake I made last time (that is, buying more computer that I realistically need or can use).

Thanks for your time.

combatcolin
Dec 10, 2006, 10:05 AM
The Macbook blows your old PB out of the water thats foe sure, although im not sure if the GPU in the MB is a step down a bit.

Guy Incognito
Dec 10, 2006, 10:53 AM
At home, I have my Blackbook hooked up to an external monitor, giving me all the screen real estate I need. When I travel, though, I find the 13" screen to be just right. I can use the Macbook on a plane, for example, which I could never do comfortably with my old 15.4" laptop.

That's my 2 cents.

IDANNY
Dec 10, 2006, 12:02 PM
My dad my that same exact switch. He really enjoyed using it for himself. But when he went and made presentations you just cant compare. He really loved it. He ended up getting a macbook pro 17 inch he says the thing is a brick now except that its much better how you can really have 2 things open side by side. Also the black macbook is sexy I have got 1 two its a great machine. Hope my rambling helped.

minus the ben
Dec 10, 2006, 01:52 PM
I'm planning almost the exact same switch (save that I'm moving away from my almost 4 year old 15" PowerBook). I had been worried mainly about the screen size as well. I don't care about the GPU not being as powerful, I use a computer to compute and an NES for gaming. And all else in the MacBook being more powerful it looks like a good switch.

Anyways, a couple of months ago I helped my best friends girlfriend and his parents switch over to MacBooks. In setting it all up for them (and helping with various conversion questions) I found that the MacBooks screen size is actually quite perfect for my uses. At work I have an external display to extend my desktop so I'm not worried about the screen size there. When I'm not at work, well I'm not working and I'm mostly just doing the average browsing, chatting, light programming, and music listening/ripping. None of that requires a huge screen (and also lets face it, 15" isn't a whole lot bigger than 13.3").

I should also note that at home I do have a 20" iMac 2.0 Ghz CoreDuo. So if I really did need a large screen for something (say that iMovie I'm probably never going to actually get around to making), I've always got that going for me. All in all, I'd say the switch is reasonable if games aren't your main focus on the computer.