PDA

View Full Version : upgrading RAM on a 1Ghz Emac (is it post april 2004 model?)

idiwa
Dec 10, 2006, 01:21 PM
I'm about to buy some RAM to upgrade a friends Emac and I need to determine the exact model. It's a 1GHz machine with an 80GB HDD but when i run memory finders on sites like crucial.com it says there are two versions of the 1Ghz machine. Those produced before April 13th 2004 and those produced after.

I'm not hands on with this mac, so ive had to talk to my friend over the phone and she's not exactly mac or PC savy. Looking at the system profiler she just said that it told her one memory dimm was installed, but not if it was PC2700 DDR 333Mhz etc. I asked her to look for the machine model and serial number and she gave me this:

Model: Emac 3.3

Does that ring any bells for anyone or can you point me in the direction of a url that will tell me (had a look on wikipedia, but it just gave general information on the different Emac variants).

I take it if it is the post 2004 variant that any PC2700 33mhz 184pin dimm will be OK? I was going to get 2x 512mb to bring it upto 1GB. Do I require any tools to get into the case? or just pop it open and fit in the same way as i would on a PC.

cheers.

Eraserhead
Dec 10, 2006, 01:32 PM
Remove the serial number from your post, you shouldn't stick it online.

To answer your question ask her to go to Apple Menu==>About This Mac==>More Info
The Apple System profiler loads, then
Hardware==>Memory, that should give the speed of the memory in each slot.

EDIT: Here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=34860) is the installing memory guide.

tyr2
Dec 10, 2006, 01:34 PM
You might find this useful: http://www.apple.com/uk/support/emac/identify/

CanadaRAM
Dec 10, 2006, 01:36 PM
If it is a USB 2.0 machine, then it is the DDR model. PC2700 should be fine.

If it is USB 1.1 then it used PC133

You don't need to pop the back off IIRC, there is a trap door on the bottom that exposes the RAM sockets. If the Tilt and Swivel stand is installed, however, you'll need either hex drivers or torx drivers (IDR which) to take the stand off before you can open the hatch.

idiwa
Dec 10, 2006, 01:55 PM
Cheers guys. Yeah it must be a USB2.0 model, I used my 1GB USB pen and it never popped up any alert to say it was a USB2.0 and could run faster etc.

Eraserhead: tried talking her thru system profiler as i said in my post but all she was telling me was how my dimms were being used rather than their properties.

Eraserhead
Dec 10, 2006, 02:15 PM
See this screenshot of the memory screen on my Macbook.

It clearly gives the speed at the bottom on the right hand side. (it also gives the speed in the table!)

I not convinced it would say that it would run faster with a USB 2 port if it didn't have them in the first place as you can't add extra USB 2.0 ports to a USB 1 eMac, I think that's a Windows thing.

idiwa
Dec 10, 2006, 02:39 PM
See this screenshot of the memory screen on my Macbook.

It clearly gives the speed at the bottom on the right hand side. (it also gives the speed in the table!)

I not convinced it would say that it would run faster with a USB 2 port if it didn't have them in the first place as you can't add extra USB 2.0 ports to a USB 1 eMac, I think that's a Windows thing.

Yeah i know what your talking about, i have a macbook and i can see what I'm running.... but like i said I'm not sitting in front of this Emac and she cant tell me what its got. I'll get my paws on it tomorrow and see what it says.