PDA

View Full Version : Apple discontinues UK mail-in repair service

MacBytes
Dec 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple discontinues UK mail-in repair service (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061210212843)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Dec 10, 2006, 08:33 PM
I don't exactly remember the old state of this in the US, but we ran into a problem on a powermac a month or so ago which required service under AppleCare, and Apple required us to accompany the machine physically to a store or certified repair center - the closest of which is 3 hours away.

that... in a nutshell... sucks. That's a 3 hour drive to deliver, another 3 hours back home... wait 2 days, 3 hour drive to pick up, and another 3 hours back home. That's 12 hours of time lost to driving in the car that could have much better been spent working on something else. I'd happily pay the FedEx charge to have it moved back and forth if it kept me from making the trip. Whatever fedex would charge would probably be less than the cost of gas for the 2 trips we had to make.

(I should probably point out we had ProCare on the machine, which at least meant we had a predetermined time with a genius when we got there, but still...)

bluebomberman
Dec 10, 2006, 09:14 PM
I don't exactly remember the old state of this in the US, but we ran into a problem on a powermac a month or so ago which required service under AppleCare, and Apple required us to accompany the machine physically to a store or certified repair center - the closest of which is 3 hours away.

that... in a nutshell... sucks. That's a 3 hour drive to deliver, another 3 hours back home... wait 2 days, 3 hour drive to pick up, and another 3 hours back home. That's 12 hours of time lost to driving in the car that could have much better been spent working on something else. I'd happily pay the FedEx charge to have it moved back and forth if it kept me from making the trip. Whatever fedex would charge would probably be less than the cost of gas for the 2 trips we had to make.

(I should probably point out we had ProCare on the machine, which at least meant we had a predetermined time with a genius when we got there, but still...)

That sounds entirely unreasonable. Can't they have a policy that allows for shipment when the nearest repair center is more than 2 hours away?

Osarkon
Dec 10, 2006, 11:07 PM
That sounds entirely unreasonable. Can't they have a policy that allows for shipment when the nearest repair center is more than 2 hours away?

You'd think so, but my nearest repair centre was over 3 hours and they still said tough luck, you'll have to take it there. Regardless of the fact I'm in uni and am unable to make the trip financially and viably, no dice. Had to work out a way to get my macbook to there, wait 3 weeks, then get back up there to fetch it.

Dunepilot
Dec 11, 2006, 03:50 AM
Another reason why Apple UK's service doesn't remotely match up to the quality of their product.

Most other vendors will give you next-day onsite service for free - for instance PC World and Currys.Digital will do that for any machine they sell you apart from Apple's (because you get handed over to Apple for aftersales service).

bigandy
Dec 11, 2006, 04:53 AM
I'm shocked and appauled by this. There are places here in Scotland where it can take over 8hrs to get to an Apple Reseller. Why the hell should customers be forced to take the time and money to return a product to have a slow repair, when the fault is most likely not their fault? I mean, you could just go buy a Dell and get a door to door service (which you'll need, obviously)!

Queso
Dec 11, 2006, 05:00 AM
Utterly Disgusting. I suggest we all make use of our e-mail on this issue and let Apple know how we feel.

When I bought AppleCare, there was an expectation of service. Now Apple are ripping a central part of that service away, without consulting or notifying their users until it's too late and there is a problem with the machine. And for what? Penny pinching? Have they not learned from Dell, whose service became so renowned for being rubbish they lost masses of customers and their share price tanked?

This is unacceptable. Some of us depend on our Macs, but that doesn't mean Apple can treat us like dirt on your shoe.

AdeFowler
Dec 11, 2006, 08:04 AM
This would also be a major problem for me.

I'm in a wheelchair and housebound without assistance. I've always bought AppleCare for the peace of mind it gives, knowing that my kit will be collected and repaired. This would be a huge backward step for Apple UK :mad:

Is there anyone at Apple that I can email before I buy my next mac?

Queso
Dec 11, 2006, 08:14 AM
Is there anyone at Apple that I can email before I buy my next mac?
Steve Jobs would be a good start. It's not normally read by him personally, but it gets the Customer Service staff at Cupertino to look into issues. He also monitors a few of the incoming mails just to make sure people are actually working to resolve customer problems coming in this way.

sjobs@apple.com is one of the addresses. Good luck.

bigandy
Dec 11, 2006, 08:54 AM
i'm shocked. i can't believe they're doing this in one of their biggest markets.

some places here in scotland are like 8hrs drive from an apple reseller - or a rather expensive plane flight (200/$400+).

it's annoying enough for me - and i'm only an hour from the nearest reseller. :(

EricTheRed71
Dec 11, 2006, 09:27 AM
We've got the same situation here in Germany now. I have problems with both of my 23" ACD but just can't spare the time to drive the 2 hours each way to the nearest certified repair centre.

Because of this policy I will never buy another screen from Apple.

Nice one Apple.

Swarmlord
Dec 11, 2006, 09:29 AM
I would hate to have to drive more than 30 minutes to get to a service center before considering a mail-in option for any service.

Outside75
Dec 11, 2006, 09:50 AM
is there a list of authorised service centres in UK? Couldnt find it on Apple website?

Queso
Dec 11, 2006, 09:54 AM
is there a list of authorised service centres in UK? Couldnt find it on Apple website?
Go here (http://www.apple.com/uk/buy/locator/) and choose to find service off the drop-down menu.

Eraserhead
Dec 11, 2006, 10:19 AM
Agreed. This would also be a major problem for me.

I'm in a wheelchair and housebound without assistance. I've always bought AppleCare for the peace of mind it gives, knowing that my kit will be collected and repaired. This would be a huge backward step for Apple UK :mad:

I would have thought in your case, that Apple would probably legally have to make you an exception.

miniConvert
Dec 11, 2006, 10:26 AM
Hmm... I'm pretty sure one could get collect & return service if one tried hard enough. Sounds like a challenge to me! :D

majorp
Dec 11, 2006, 10:37 AM
i just phoned them and after about 10 minutes of waiting they said they would decide each case differently depending on how far you live from an official reseller.

I said I paid for applecare just so i could have mail-in repairs and they said that they would make an exception in certain circumstances! wtf, sort it out apple. I would like to know exactly where I stand and i want a refund if im not getting my mail-in repairs.

btw. I get standard 3 year warranty through the HE agreement, i purchased the contract-uplift just to get mail-in repairs. :rolleyes: people who paid for full price applecare must be STRESSING!

AdeFowler
Dec 11, 2006, 11:12 AM
Steve Jobs would be a good start. It's not normally read by him personally, but it gets the Customer Service staff at Cupertino to look into issues. He also monitors a few of the incoming mails just to make sure people are actually working to resolve customer problems coming in this way.

sjobs@apple.com is one of the addresses. Good luck.
Thanks mate. I've emailed the man at the top. I'll post back if I get a reply.

Castle
Dec 11, 2006, 11:44 AM
Having bought a new MacBook Pro in the last couple of weeks, and having had to send my old PowerBook off to get fixed no less than 5 times, I was obviously concerned by this news.

So I phoned Apple UK, and according to them (and I made the guy I spoke to double check) they still offer the mail-in service within the warrenty period. Outside the warrenty period you have to pay up or take it to a store, which seems fair enough, but if you're still covered they'll collect it and fix it and return it.

nagromme
Dec 11, 2006, 12:02 PM
So I phoned Apple UK, and according to them (and I made the guy I spoke to double check) they still offer the mail-in service within the warrenty period. Outside the warrenty period you have to pay up or take it to a store, which seems fair enough, but if you're still covered they'll collect it and fix it and return it.

Hope that's correct--assuming that "within the warranty period" applies to AppleCare too.

Partial false alarm?

If not--if AppleCare customers who paid for coverage suddenly have to drive 8 hours--that sounds like grounds for legal action!

Queso
Dec 11, 2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks mate. I've emailed the man at the top. I'll post back if I get a reply.
No worries. And please do post back what they say. It'll be interesting to hear the reasoning from the horse's mouth and see whether they'll be flexible or not.

combatcolin
Dec 11, 2006, 12:44 PM
Becuase Apple can do whatever they want to there customers and the will blindly estatic to be treaed that way.

Analog Kid
Dec 11, 2006, 06:40 PM
The way I read the article, Apple won't be sending the mailing labels out any longer-- I don't know that they forbid you from shipping it yourself.

I can't see any reason why they would... I can see why they don't want to pay the cost of shipping a PowerMac-- better to ship lead ingots. If you want to pay the cost though, then you're responsible for the unit while it's in your care, the shipper is responsible while it's in their care, and Apple is responsible while it's in their care. Not easy to sort out, but people do all the time...

solvs
Dec 12, 2006, 03:57 AM
Becuase Apple can do whatever they want to there customers and the will blindly estatic to be treaed that way.

Based on the reaction of this thread, I don't think that statement is correct. And we're the fans. Imagine people who just bought one because one of us told them to.

I'm hoping this is wrong, but if it isn't, bad on you Apple U.K.

combatcolin
Dec 12, 2006, 07:05 AM
I had a very bad experience with Apple UK and was utterly surprised by how shoddy the treastment was, took ages to get my issue sorted.

zRedbullz
Dec 12, 2006, 10:43 AM
:mad:

WildCowboy
Dec 12, 2006, 11:58 AM
In an update (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2296) to this story, AppleInsider is reporting that this is due to the impending closure of the third-party facility that handles the repairs for Apple and a host of other PC manufacturers. All the vendors are scrambling to figure out how to deal with it.

Loge
Dec 12, 2006, 01:34 PM
In an update (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2296) to this story, AppleInsider is reporting that this is due to the impending closure of the third-party facility that handles the repairs for Apple and a host of other PC manufacturers. All the vendors are scrambling to figure out how to deal with it.

Apparently closing due to "lack of business orders". Rather at odds with all of the quality issues that people seem to be having at the moment.

WildCowboy
Dec 12, 2006, 01:53 PM
Apparently closing due to "lack of business orders". Rather at odds with all of the quality issues that people seem to be having at the moment.

With the number of vendors that were apparently using the facility, there are any number of factors that could have resulted in a drop in their volume.

But yes, point taken. :D

daroca
Jan 11, 2007, 01:04 PM
I was hit with this today, my battery had failed for the third time, called apple first thing, I was on the phone for 90 mins (yes 9 0), talking to an "engineer" explaining the problem, to be told they wanted to repair my laptop rather than shipping me another battery, this was on a 0870 number by the way.

Then the bombshell... Please take it 30 miles to be repaired.

I have applecare I shouted, which made no difference.

I was informed because this is a "portable" computer, I can now take it myself to be repaired !

In the US they have toll-free support numbers, they still do collection and return by mail-in service.

Apple service in the UK used to excel other companies, this is no longer true.

Will I buy another Apple computer.. probably not ! :mad:

combatcolin
Jan 12, 2007, 08:32 AM
A 3rd party warranty bought from an insurance agency would offer a better degree of flexibility.

weckart
Jan 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
I was hit with this today, my battery had failed for the third time, called apple first thing, I was on the phone for 90 mins (yes 9 0), talking to an "engineer" explaining the problem, to be told they wanted to repair my laptop rather than shipping me another battery, this was on a 0870 number by the way.

Use this link: SAY NO TO 0870 (http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php)

Type in Apple or whatever supplier you are having a problem with and use the toll-free or non-premium numbers. Why should you pay extra for problems that they are responsible for?