Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

llunett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I cut a file from itunes in garageband to make it into a short file so i can send it through bluetooth to my cell phone to make it as my ringtone.... but it wont let me send it, a box comes up and says: "File Not Accepted: The target device claims it will not accept a file of the type you are trying to send" Is there a way to change the type of file it is so it can be compatible with my phone?? If so, how?? Is it possible?:confused:

llunett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
the type is AIFC audio file... then i changed it in itunes to a MPEG-4 Audio File... they both dont work... when i accept the file on my phone the dialogue box comes up on the computer saying "internal error..." i guess my phone is just not accepting the file for some reason... its 344kb.. i wonder if there is a way to make it smaller and more compatible... sorry im just not familiar with bluetooth that much..

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Does the file fully download onto the phone before it gives you that error? In other words, is it just that the phone can't play that file type once the file is on the phone, or does Bluetooth refuse to send it over entirely, and it never gets on the phone?

Canerican

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
I cut a file from itunes in garageband to make it into a short file so i can send it through bluetooth to my cell phone to make it as my ringtone.... but it wont let me send it, a box comes up and says: "File Not Accepted: The target device claims it will not accept a file of the type you are trying to send" Is there a way to change the type of file it is so it can be compatible with my phone?? If so, how?? Is it possible?:confused:

You don't happen to be with Verizon do you? Verizon disables OBEX (basically bluetooth) on all their newer phones. You can change the firmware of your phone to Alltel (called flashing), but this is risky and voids your warrenty.

If not Verizon, what type of phone are you using?

llunett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
My phone is the Motorola L2.. the carrier is FIDO
Basically, my phone is connected to the computer, and the file is sent to my phone. However, when i start press accept on my phone, an error box comes up on my macbook saying "File Transfer Failed Internal Error"...... Its odd i cant find any info on the net or anything...

amyp

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
...However, when i start press accept on my phone, an error box comes up on my macbook saying "File Transfer Failed Internal Error"..... Its odd i cant find any info on the net or anything...

I have been having the same exact problem. It has worked just fine for me for a few weeks now, then all of the sudden i am getting the same error message today. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them!
thanks so much,
amy

NukemHill

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore, MD
the file transfer failed: internal error

I'm having the same problem with my Motorola RAZR v3.

I'm trying to copy a midlet over using bluetooth, and the 'internal error' message comes up after I click accept on the phone.

Any ideas?

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Phones generally accept 3GP audio formats. I put such a format audio file on mine and my wives' Moto phones via BlueTooth.

This will convert to 3GP from anything (Free): http://www.ffmpegx.com/

FYI merely changing the extension does not change the file format.

And yes, Verizon stupidly disables BlueTooth file exchange (OBEX, object exchange) protocols. And now Verizon will charge $0.15 to send/receive single a SMS message (or IM), $0.25 from International users (if you lack a Messaging Package)! Woo-hoo!

Apple really should have gone the MVNO route instead of using Cingular, oh sorry, AT&T v3.0.

NukemHill

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore, MD
transfer problems

Phones generally accept 3GP audio formats. I put such a format audio file on mine and my wives' Moto phones via BlueTooth.

This will convert to 3GP from anything (Free): http://www.ffmpegx.com/

FYI merely changing the extension does not change the file format.

And yes, Verizon stupidly disables BlueTooth file exchange (OBEX, object exchange) protocols. And now Verizon will charge $0.15 to send/receive single a SMS message (or IM), $0.25 from International users (if you lack a Messaging Package)! Woo-hoo!

Apple really should have gone the MVNO route instead of using Cingular, oh sorry, AT&T v3.0.

I should mention that I'm using Cingular. Do they disable file transfer too?

NukemHill

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore, MD
Cingular: Motorola disables file upload

Well, I just spoke with a Cingular representative at one of the (many) stores in our area. He claims that Motorola does not allow program file uploads to any of their phones. He says that it will only work for full-on PDAs.

Can anyone independently verify this? Is he blowing smoke? Or is it actually Cingular who disables this functionality? It doesn't really matter in the long run. I clearly can't do what I want with my V3. Now I need to track down a (relatively) cheap PDA that can run MIDLets. Any recommendations? I'm developing through XCode, with the mpowerplayer emulation environment. It sucks, but what're you gonna do.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.