PDA

View Full Version : ImageReady gets the boot in favor of Fireworks in Adobe CS3!

rogersmj
Dec 11, 2006, 09:45 AM
I just found this on AppleInsider, and it practically makes me giddy:

According to those people familiar with Adobe's plans, Macromedia's Dreamweaver will replace Adobe's GoLive as the suite's primary web development tool.

Similarly, those same people say that Adobe ImageReady, which has been packaged side-by-side with Photoshop since version 2.0, will get the boot in favor of Macromedia's Fireworks bitmap and vector image editor.

I could care less about Dreamweaver, because I code everything by hand in TextMate or Smultron, but I was scared for Fireworks when Adobe bought Macromedia. It is without question the best app to do web layout work. I always hated ImageReady, and it disappointed me to see people stuck using it because their company just thought, "Well, Adobe makes Photoshop, all their other stuff must be the best too!"

Some of you might not care, but half of my job revolves around using Fireworks, and I've been using it since it was at 4.0 about 6 years ago. I did not want to have to learn to use some crappy Adobe equivalent.

elppa
Dec 11, 2006, 11:59 AM
Some of the features in Fireworks 9 look very nice, particuarly for creating mockups.

http://www.adobe.com/newsletters/edge/november2006/articles/article2/index.html?trackingid=NBWB

rogersmj
Dec 11, 2006, 01:58 PM
Nice article! Thanks for that link. Makes me feel even better.

Blue Velvet
Dec 11, 2006, 02:06 PM
Ah, but will the print version of the Creative Suite include it? I'm not sure exactly how Adobe are planning to bundle these packages.

That's one of the advantages of ImageReady, i.e. that it's almost integral with Photoshop, despite being a separate app. If I have to bounce small files through Bridge or Version Cue just to get to Fireworks for small GIFs and JPGs and pay extra for all of the web tools, I'd be pretty unhappy about that.

Bern
Dec 11, 2006, 07:28 PM
I heard (as many of you have also) there will be different CS3 packages. Perhaps the web bundle will have Fireworks, Flash and Dreamweaver only just like the regular Macromedia Studio. Let's hope they build some extra stuff into Firework that exists in PS and Illustrator.

decksnap
Dec 11, 2006, 09:05 PM
Oh praise the lord. This just made my day!! I have been living in Fireworks so long I don't know what I'd do if I had to switch. It's just so much better than Imageready. (features and workflow-wise that is... they could definitely iron out some glitches)

No seriously. This just made my week!

christapherWayn
Dec 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
ive been using macromedia studio for about 6 years now, and i was really scared about them getting eaten up by adobe products. well, now at my job all my horrors have come true: im using adobe cs2... on a pc... yuck. haha

but it really hasnt been so bad, ive really loved illustrator. anyway, tangent.

in review, im excited about still being able to get fireworks.