Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Can anyone recommend a drive enclosure to use with the Mac Mini?

I'm curious which type of connection (USB/Firewire) seems to be the fastest. My plan had been to access my large array of drive storage on an old server on my gigabit network, but I had neglected to take into account the slow bus speed of my old Pentium II server!!! So, I'd like to overcome this bottleneck by attaching a drive via USB or Firewire.

I've seen the Lacie and Newertech models that are designed to match up nicely, but I don't care so much about looks as performance and price. The Newertech miniStack models seem very nice with the expansion ports and everything.

What is everyone using?

-Curt

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...The Newertech miniStack models seem very nice with the expansion ports and everything.

and they are! have one and love it. make sure either way that you go with a firewire connection, as it is faster for any major transfers. and it can also speed up your mini by becoming the boot device. bonus.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I too am using the newertech v2. I bought the empty case and added a Seagate 7200.10 500GB drive 16MB Cache with perpendicular recording. Got it from Newegg.com the day after Thanksgiving, $80 off so it was $149 instead of $229. So with the Ministack the setup ran $225. That is a great drive and I would recommend getting one. If prices went back up, might wait till the week after xmas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.