Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haoqfu

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
i'm in bad need of a desktop and thinking of getting mac mini, but since i heard it is going to be upgraded soon, so i'm going to hold my money and wait a bit longer. so i was wondering when it's possibly be upgraded.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
According to our trusty buyers' guide, 2 months...

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

I think you can hope for Janaury, but nothing is a given and none of us know. They'll definitely be updated some time in the first three months of 2007, let's say. Can you wait that long? If you can, it'll potentially be worth it. In addition to an updated computer, you'll also get iLife '07, and possibly OS 10.5, whereas if you buy now then you'd have to pay to upgrade to those as well. iLife '07 will come out in January. OS 10.5 will come out... probably first few months of 2007.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well, it's hard to say. It was upgraded with the imacs when the latter went to core 2 duo, so that option was available for the mini, but apple passed on it.

So there's an argument that the mini will only be upgraded again when the imac is - I mean, if apple wanted a c2d mini available at the same time as these c2d imacs, they could have done it when the imac got the c2d.

On the other side of that argument is the fact that the mini is currently the only 32 bit system left, which it was not at the time of the last update, and the fact that it's a pretty bad deal compared to every other machine apple sells.

My own opinion is that the mini will see an update when intel's next-gen integrated GPU is ready and not before. The last update was nothing but a processor bump, and I think they will not do the next update until they can add both new graphics and a c2d.

Have you considered an imac? They are much better deals than minis right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.