Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Hey all

Does any one know citrix that can help me log on to my companys network. Here is the error I'm getting. I already downloaded version 7.00.411. The IT department has no clue since I'm the only mac user.

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 106

cusqueno

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2005
Citrix

The screen shot looks like they are using the ICA Java client. Here is a thread from the Citrix forums which discusses the error. I would certainly have them try to upgrade the Java client to the latest version. This is an admin task since they .jar file goes on the web server.

http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=422966&fromSearchPage=true&#422966

I administer a Citrix farm and use Macs all the time. It does work, but can be a bit finicky at times. Here is a post I made at a Citrix community site that describes some gotchas I found working with Macs.

http://www.brianmadden.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=58340&mpage=1&key=mac&#59678

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Interesting link. Thanks. I decided not to bother with Macs for my Presentation Server (or for professional use at all in fact) as I wasn't getting much support from my VAR but it's useful to have the info and a resource I can go to next time.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Does any one know citrix that can help me log on to my companys network. Here is the error I'm getting. I already downloaded version 7.00.411. The IT department has no clue since I'm the only mac user.
I know this is off-topic, but you should demand someone in IT look into this on your behalf. This is what they are paid to do, and if they can't be bothered there are plenty of unemployed IT people who would gladly take their job and put the effort in. I'm so sick of IT departments dictating to other members of a company what they will and won't support. You have deadlines to meet I'm sure, and the answer to this will be googleable somewhere if they took the time to find it. You never know, they may even learn something outside of their Microsoft box in the process.

:mad:

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I know this is off-topic, but you should demand someone in IT look into this on your behalf. This is what they are paid to do, and if they can't be bothered there are plenty of unemployed IT people who would gladly take their job and put the effort in. I'm so sick of IT departments dictating to other members of a company what they will and won't support. You have deadlines to meet I'm sure, and the answer to this will be googleable somewhere if they took the time to find it. You never know, they may even learn something outside of their Microsoft box in the process.

Why? they probably don't have a Mac to test on either.

cusqueno

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2005

I agree with the sentiment above. In my opinion, one of the best features of Citrix technology is you can provide access to applications to a wide variety of clients. They can be Windows, DOS, Unix, Linux, Mac and these days all kinds of smart phone OSes too. If the IT department is not interested in universal access, they really should be using a pure Terminal Server solution and they will save a significant amount of money too.

You could even say I converted to Apple computers because of Citrix. I gained exposure to Macs and OS X because of users like the original poster. When the first Mini came out I decided it was worth $500 bucks to try one for myself. The combination of simplicity, usability and power impressed me. I can go home at night and enjoy using my computer instead of fighting with drivers, patches and video card settings. Of course, since then I've drunk too much koolaid and I've added two Intel based iMacs to my collection.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Why? they probably don't have a Mac to test on either.
I'm firmly of the belief that an IT Support Department should be there to support all the users in the business. They shouldn't be able to pick and choose. It's effectively letting the engineers go through the Helpdesk call list and cherry-pick the problems they want to work on and ignore the rest, only by writing it into policy Management think that's a valid approach.

If IT don't have the skills but someone in the business needs them to have the skills, IT should learn.

dhaen

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
UK
Not a Citrix guy, but...

I have had other (different) problems with the Java Citrix system. Instead, I now use the older "Metaframe Presentation Server Client For Macintosh", downloadable from Citrix. This is an executable that must be installed on your Mac and runs from a script sent from my employers server as I log in.
To stop Java from automatically running at Citrix login, I first disabled Java in Safari, which worked but was a nuisance, so now I run a different browser (Firefox) with Java disabled, just for Citrix logins.

Whether the above will work with your employers system, I don't know. I am not an IT professional. My employers IT department seem deliberately unhelpful with Macs. For example, I cannot join their in-house wireless network because of a possible security risk: In OSX it is possible to display the wireless encryption key....(whereas Windows is secure 'cos you can't)...:confused: (their words not mine)..

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL

That what I did. They made me open up a ticket and wait 1 week and now they tell me that they don't support it because

1. none of our laptops that they give us are mac's. PC's only
2. they don't have one to test on. (call center in CT and I'm in DE)

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I have had other (different) problems with the Java Citrix system. Instead, I now use the older "Metaframe Presentation Server Client For Macintosh", downloadable from Citrix. This is an executable that must be installed on your Mac and runs from a script sent from my employers server as I log in.
To stop Java from automatically running at Citrix login, I first disabled Java in Safari, which worked but was a nuisance, so now I run a different browser (Firefox) with Java disabled, just for Citrix logins.

Whether the above will work with your employers system, I don't know. I am not an IT professional. My employers IT department seem deliberately unhelpful with Macs. For example, I cannot join their in-house wireless network because of a possible security risk: In OSX it is possible to display the wireless encryption key....(whereas Windows is secure 'cos you can't)...:confused: (their words not mine)..

hea, I tried to use firefox and now get this error. I'm really getting pised at my IT department telling me they won't support me :mad:

Anyway here is what I error I get on firefox. Can anyone please help me with some easy instructions to get this working

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    145 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 74

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I'm firmly of the belief that an IT Support Department should be there to support all the users in the business. They shouldn't be able to pick and choose. It's effectively letting the engineers go through the Helpdesk call list and cherry-pick the problems they want to work on and ignore the rest, only by writing it into policy Management think that's a valid approach.

If IT don't have the skills but someone in the business needs them to have the skills, IT should learn.

Man I wish you worked for my IT department. You are the only one that will get things done

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
don't know what version of firefox you are using, but have 2.0 here, and entrust is listed. (firefox, preferences, advanced, encryption, view certificates, authorities, scroll down to see if entrust is listed). if not, you could try to add them to the 'trusted providers' list, or maybe upgrade to the latest. if you already are, then i am not sure. you need the certificate to establish the connection, and after you get one issued, it should show up on the 'your certificates' tab in the same preference pane.

best of luck. can't wait to hear how it all goes, and see the final solution posted!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004

I can understand an IT group's desire to have a standard base of computers to make things run faster and smoother (Roaming Profiles are a pain, without worrying about NT/2000/XP) however I think that they should provide support for all the users. At least, give the user some information on how to help themselves through the problem if they have other pressing concerns.

Of course, since then I've drunk too much koolaid and I've added two Intel based iMacs to my collection.

You can never drink too much koolaid.

don't know what version of firefox you are using, but have 2.0 here, and entrust is listed. (firefox, preferences, advanced, encryption, view certificates, authorities, scroll down to see if entrust is listed). if not, you could try to add them to the 'trusted providers' list, or maybe upgrade to the latest. if you already are, then i am not sure. you need the certificate to establish the connection, and after you get one issued, it should show up on the 'your certificates' tab in the same preference pane.

best of luck. can't wait to hear how it all goes, and see the final solution posted!

I agree. You beat me to the post by a couple of hours. Great minds think alike; shoddy minds think like rubber bands.

dhaen

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
UK
Almost there

Reflow,

I ran into this one too, but forgot to mention it. It is googleable, as I did, but this is what I found:
The box is asking for a security certificate. It is a file that ends in .crt and needs to live with others in a folder: applications/Citrix ICA Client/keystore/cacerts/. It must be provided by your IT dept. Hopefully if you ask the for the Citrix crt file they'll know what to give you. This file is the same for Windows systems AFAIK. In fact I think they just gave me a bundle of .crt files they found in the cacerts direcory of a working Windows machine - I have 10 .crt files but don't know which one is in use! But it works.

One cavaert: If if fails to connect or flags another error, don't give up, try again a number of times. It's not very reliable as a system, in my experience.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.