PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS3 Beta On Friday?

MacRumors
Dec 12, 2006, 09:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

AppleInsider adds to its previous report (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061211005825.shtml) that they are currently expecting a Photoshop beta program to begin this Friday (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2301) for current CS2 owners. Specifically, the program is said to be announced by Adobe CEO Bruce Chizen during the company's quarterly conference call, and will be limited to the standard edition of Photoshop rather than the entire Adobe Creative Suite.

ThinkSecret has also chimed in on the matter (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0612photoshopcs3beta.html), saying similarly that the beta program would be limited to Photoshop. Also, while reports had said that Photoshop CS3 "simply flies" on Intel-based systems, ThinkSecret claims that much of that speed was attributed to OpenGL zooming, a feature that has been trimmed from the beta and may not even make the final release.

longofest
Dec 12, 2006, 09:25 PM
It will be interesting to see how fast she runs without the feature TS was talking about. I'm sure it will be a lot faster than non-native CS2, but I'd like to see a comparison on a Mac Pro vs. a Quad G5 :)

coday182
Dec 12, 2006, 09:26 PM
sure am glad i changed my mind about buying CS2 today.

Karpfish
Dec 12, 2006, 09:27 PM
"simply flies"

I wouldn't mind that, especially on my new mac pro. I have held off using cs2 since i made the switch to intel because it is really painful ediiting large TIFFs,which is what i do, usually exported from aperture so i need the speed handling 60mb TIFFs.

Fiveos22
Dec 12, 2006, 09:30 PM
Open GL zooming? Tell me more.

Is this similar to the Open GL multithreading that has been talked about (WoW, and OSX 10.5)?

Spanky Deluxe
Dec 12, 2006, 09:38 PM
This sounds really interesting!! Unfortunately I need to convert over to Photoshop from Paint Shop Pro because of migrating completely from Windows to OS X. I've been putting off using Photoshop properly though until CS3 because I don't want to be disappointed by the lack of speed.

ezekielrage_99
Dec 12, 2006, 09:40 PM
It's about dam time Adobe has decided to release an Intel version.

Roller
Dec 12, 2006, 09:52 PM
Interesting that they'd limit the beta to CS2 owners. Seems to me that they'd do better opening it up and potentially hooking those of us with earlier versions (or people who don't have PS at all.)

Bern
Dec 12, 2006, 10:10 PM
And here I am Photoshopless :(

waiting.... waiting.... waiting...

Westside guy
Dec 12, 2006, 10:13 PM
The rumor brings up more questions than answers. :) Why only CS2 owners - is it slow compared to the older versions? Why disable OpenGL zooming? Are they deciding not to support anything that won't work as-is in Windows? (Since Vista will not support OpenGL natively) Are we basically just getting Windows Photoshop with Mac widgets?

I'm a little disappointed that it's Photoshop only - while I use Photoshop, that's probably the least interesting new app to me. I was more curious what they're doing with Dreamweaver and InDesign.

I'll also be curious to see their pricing model this upcoming Spring. With a reported "advanced" version of Photoshop in the works, are they going to a three-tiered structure for the app? Elements -> Photoshop+Lightroom -> Photoshop Ultra-special Coolness Edition?

Oh well, it's just a rumor so I'm trying not to draw any negative conclusions based on "facts" that may be totally wrong. :p

xsedrinam
Dec 12, 2006, 10:16 PM
from the article...
"People familiar with the Macintosh version of the editor confirm it to be a Universal Binary which "simply screams" on Apple Computer's new Intel-based hardware. However, they tell AppleInsider that this week's beta will include only the standard version of Photoshop CS3."

wmmk
Dec 12, 2006, 10:22 PM
I'm assuming that Westside Guy was right about it being slower than CS1. It'l simply be clunkier. Anyway, will this be cocoa? That'd be beyond wonderful. I also wonder if this means PSE 5.0 Mac is coming soon. Considering trends, do we think PSE 6.0 will include lightroom? Wonder what PS+Lightroom will do to aperture sales. Apple is going to have to do something really special.

shrimpdesign
Dec 12, 2006, 10:32 PM
I find the Photoshop advance application intriguing. Rotoscoping? OpenGL zooming? Sound pretty wicked. I wonder how much more it'll be than regular Photoshop.

Matthew Yohe
Dec 12, 2006, 10:36 PM
Question Mark?

bit density
Dec 12, 2006, 10:44 PM
The rumor brings up more questions than answers. :) Why only CS2 owners - is it slow compared to the older versions? Why disable OpenGL zooming? Are they deciding not to support anything that won't work as-is in Windows? (Since Vista will not support OpenGL natively) Are we basically just getting Windows Photoshop with Mac widgets?

Photoshop is the least difficult to move from code warrior to xcode. And has had many odd passes of processor specific code. This means they have solved many of the problems already.

It is difficult to understand the full complexity of indesign and illustrator. It is amazing. And it will take time to get it moved to xcode, which just could not handle out of the box programs like this. There are not many, and Adobe ships most of them :)

It is almost assuradely not a port of the windows product, but it is advantageous that the windows code is around for bit management.

I have no idea on the open gl zoom, but I suspect it has to do with pixel accuracy. Photoshop has to have an exact pixel representation, and I am willing to bet that is not always the case in open gl. There may be a hybrid at the end of the day that will give the users what they want: SPEED.

As to why only cs2 owners. Because of the downturn of CS2 sales. This is to improve CS2 sales while we all wait with bated breath.

oober_freak
Dec 12, 2006, 11:03 PM
Interesting that they'd limit the beta to CS2 owners. Seems to me that they'd do better opening it up and potentially hooking those of us with earlier versions (or people who don't have PS at all.)

Approximately 32 minutes and 41 seconds after the release of Photoshop CS3 beta, a simple google search will lead you to 22112 torrent sites with CS3 beta available for download.

stoid
Dec 12, 2006, 11:11 PM
"simply flies"

In other words, it scrolls like butter? :D

iMikeT
Dec 13, 2006, 12:29 AM
This news just might accelerate my plans of purchasing the 24" iMac that I have been eyeing since the day it came out.

I'm so confused though. I want to go ahead and get it but I want to wait until 10.5 is out. What do I do?

Spagolli94
Dec 13, 2006, 02:00 AM
"simply flies"

I wouldn't mind that, especially on my new mac pro. I have held off using cs2 since i made the switch to intel because it is really painful ediiting large TIFFs,which is what i do, usually exported from aperture so i need the speed handling 60mb TIFFs.

It's all about the RAM. I am a CS2 user and was nervous when I got my Mac Pro. Sure enough, it ran like CRAP with the stock 1GB of RAM. So, I threw another GB in there and the difference was night and day. It seems to run just as fast as the old dual 1.8 G5 I used to work on. And the Illustrator crash problem was fixed by adding the RAM as well.

Since then, I've upgrade to 6 GB of RAM. CS2 doesn't run faster, but now I can run it with all my other apps (and parallels) too.

If it's running this well in Rosetta, I can't wait until it goes native!!!!

hidea
Dec 13, 2006, 02:15 AM
well, this open GL zooming they're talking about.

I could only think of it's being powered up, by Core Image. I mean, there's a lot of Core Image iApps, like iTunes (Cover Flow mode, utilizes Core Image? Expose itself?).

Zooming in and zooming out on vector/raster that are static shouldn't be much work, I wanna know it how holds up with Filters though. And Liquifiying ;) (we're talking about live re-rendering of pixels!)

bigandy
Dec 13, 2006, 02:26 AM
*reads article*

*crosses fingers*

:rolleyes:

twoodcc
Dec 13, 2006, 02:34 AM
It will be interesting to see how fast she runs without the feature TS was talking about. I'm sure it will be a lot faster than non-native CS2, but I'd like to see a comparison on a Mac Pro vs. a Quad G5 :)

yeah, i'd like to see that comparision also

milatchi
Dec 13, 2006, 09:18 AM
Adobe should drop the CS3 and just make it X. By my count CS3 will be the 10th version. Photoshop X

Kid Red
Dec 13, 2006, 09:49 AM
SO OpenGL which made CS3 fast is disabled and will not make the final? So then it won't be fast? Boo.

Secondly, this two tier system, wasn't that what PS Elements was for? So now I must assume that Photoshop doo doo will stay at the current premium price and this advance version balloons a few hundred from 3 features? More crap from big corporations.

koobcamuk
Dec 13, 2006, 10:12 AM
This news just might accelerate my plans of purchasing the 24" iMac that I have been eyeing since the day it came out.

I'm so confused though. I want to go ahead and get it but I want to wait until 10.5 is out. What do I do?

Wait to see if a beta is released. Or, you could just go and buy it now and be done with it. By the time 10.5 is out you'll have the 89 to upgrade.

zoozx
Dec 13, 2006, 10:59 AM
Adobe has been messing up since CS started. They make release dates then cut features as they can't finish them on time for the release.
Design the program and finish it then release it for a change and go back to individual programs that work together so you don't limit the production due to some dumb package release date!
:mad:

OwlsAndApples
Dec 13, 2006, 11:01 AM
Adobe has been messing up since CS started. They make release dates then cut features as they can't finish them on time for the release.
Design the program and finish it then release it for a change and go back to individual programs that work together so you don't limit the production due to some dumb package release date!
:mad:

Kinda like XP with their service packs...Or ME, never used but everyone says it was 'rushed out'.

brad.c
Dec 13, 2006, 12:11 PM
I like the package pricing for the bundles. It was probably designed as a way to push InDesign into Quark-centric shops back in the early days of CS1.

Ideally they would stick with package pricing, and then offer an upgrade subscription option to one or all of the included apps. That way they could have, oh I don't know, fixed Illustrator months ago.

pgfitzgerald
Dec 13, 2006, 02:29 PM
Silly question...

Does this mean people with a valid Photoshop CS2 license will be able to download the Photoshop CS3 Beta?

Or does this mean people with Creative Suite CS2 Standard or Creative Suite CS2 Premium will be able to download Photoshop CS3 Beta?

I have Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2, which is all I need. I don't require the additional apps offered as part of the Creative Suite bundles.

Paul

Edit: Nevermind... found answer here (http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/14/photoshop-cs3-beta-qa/).

heehee
Dec 13, 2006, 02:45 PM
I hope it'll be as fast as I imagine it would be. I'll be one of the first ones to download it. :cool:

japanime
Dec 13, 2006, 08:56 PM
This also strongly hints at a Friday release:

http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/11/taking-some-pto/

BuzWeaver
Dec 13, 2006, 09:09 PM
That's good news indeed.

dllavaneras
Dec 13, 2006, 09:56 PM
I hope it's as great as it's hyped up to be... But I'm sure I won't see much of a speed increase on my 700 Mhz G4 eMac ;)

hidea
Dec 14, 2006, 09:58 AM
SO, I read somewhere that there's supposed to be an announcement later today?