PDA

View Full Version : 12" PowerBook Problems

FadeToBlack
Dec 12, 2006, 11:31 PM
I got a 12" PowerBook on eBay (Rev. A 867MHz) and received it yesterday and I'm having a couple problems. The first thing I noticed is that my AirPort will connect, but it won't actually go to any websites in Safari or anything.

After noticing that, I decided to just go ahead and do a clean install of OS X (It's running Jaguar) and when I booted from CD, it got a kernel panic. It does it at the Apple logo screen. It does this every single time I try to boot from CD.

Other than those issues, it seems to run fine. I used it for about an hour or so earlier just messing around and didn't have any problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mad jew
Dec 13, 2006, 12:27 AM
Are you very good at taking these things apart? Maybe open it up and make sure the optical drive cable isn't loose. If that's not an option, then is there an external drive or another Mac you could use to reinstall OSX from? :)

FadeToBlack
Dec 13, 2006, 12:52 AM
Are you very good at taking these things apart? Maybe open it up and make sure the optical drive cable isn't loose. If that's not an option, then is there an external drive or another Mac you could use to reinstall OSX from? :)

I've never taken a laptop apart before, so I wouldn't say I was good at it. :p

The only other Mac I have is my Mac mini. How would I use it to install OS X on the PowerBook?

I just did a FSCK for the hell of it to see if that would work and it said that my HD appears to be OK.

I've also zapped the PRAM with no success.

Hope to get this resolved. I've already e-mailed the guy since he has a 10 day return policy, but I'd really like to keep it if I can.

Anyone have any idea about the AirPort issue?

Ok, after running FSCK, I typed "reboot" and it's just hanging. Does it usually take a while to restart after running FSCK?

mad jew
Dec 13, 2006, 01:01 AM
Okay, try using Target Disk Mode (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583) to install the OS back onto the PowerBook. Hopefully this'll fix your AirPort issue too. :)

FadeToBlack
Dec 13, 2006, 01:12 AM
Okay, try using Target Disk Mode (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583) to install the OS back onto the PowerBook. Hopefully this'll fix your AirPort issue too. :)

Read that article and came across this. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303118) Does that mean I can't use the Mac mini to install OS X on the PowerBook, or just that I can't mount the Mac mini's HD on it? I've never used Target Disk Mode before, so I'm not too savvy when it comes to this.

This really seems like it may be a hardware issue to me. This is actually the first kernel panic that I've had on any Mac that I've owned so far and I've owned quite a few of 'em.

EDIT: Just tried creating a new user and the AirPort issue persists. I also tried turning off WPA encryption and still, no success.

mad jew
Dec 13, 2006, 09:27 PM
Read that article and came across this. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303118) Does that mean I can't use the Mac mini to install OS X on the PowerBook, or just that I can't mount the Mac mini's HD on it? I've never used Target Disk Mode before, so I'm not too savvy when it comes to this.

That shouldn't matter. You want to start the PowerBook up whilst holding T to get it loaded onto the Intel mini, and then try installing the OS on it from there. Of course, you'll need the PPC versions of OSX. The mini's OSX discs will not work.

FadeToBlack
Dec 13, 2006, 11:17 PM
That shouldn't matter. You want to start the PowerBook up whilst holding T to get it loaded onto the Intel mini, and then try installing the OS on it from there. Of course, you'll need the PPC versions of OSX. The mini's OSX discs will not work.

I have the original discs that came with the PowerBook. (Jaguar)

I actually e-mailed the guy I bought it from asking for a refund, since he had a 10 day return policy and he just e-mailed me saying he'd give me the refund.

If I didn't think this was a hardware issue, I'd probably go ahead and keep it, but I believe I'm just gonna go ahead and send it back.

bokdol
Dec 13, 2006, 11:36 PM
one thing to try if you have not returned it is reset the pmu. i cant remember how to do it but you can look it up on apples supprt site. that sometimes help. also how are you restarting from cd? are you holding down the c button?

FadeToBlack
Dec 13, 2006, 11:50 PM
one thing to try if you have not returned it is reset the pmu. i cant remember how to do it but you can look it up on apples supprt site. that sometimes help. also how are you restarting from cd? are you holding down the c button?

I'll try resetting the PMU and report back in a few.

And yeah, I tried holding down the C key and also holding down option and selecting the CD drive that way. What's odd is that when doing it like that, I didn't get a kernel panic, the screen just got a few lines through it and it just completely froze.

I'll give resetting the PMU a try after I see how to do it on Apple's site and report back.

EDIT: Well, I reset the PMU and that didn't help either issue. Looks like I'm sending it back. That's too bad, too, 'cause I really like it.

mad jew
Dec 14, 2006, 03:42 AM
Yeah, it's good that he's taking it back. I assumed that wasn't an option. You don't want a machine like this playing up from the beginning. :(

FadeToBlack
Dec 14, 2006, 03:46 AM
Yeah, it's good that he's taking it back. I assumed that wasn't an option. You don't want a machine like this playing up from the beginning. :(

Exactly. I'll be packing it up later on today. Sucks, 'cause I absolutely love it, but since it's already giving me trouble, the best thing to do is send it back. I may end up getting another one sometime.