Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Hey everyone, here is my situation, perhaps you can help me decide what I need...

So, I'll be needing an SD card for a Pentax K110D, most likely, or at least, I want to be prepared for that. Now, I'm a college student, so price is important to me. But other things are important to me as well. I mean, I want it to be able to snap a quicker picture quickly, but if it's a different of 50 dollars and is a few nanoseconds who cares? I can't justify it while I'm still in school. Also, I want to be able to store a lot of pictures at a time, I go out and can take many many pictures and don't want to have to bother with deleting ones I don't like while I'm out and taking pictures. So I may get two cards, and if one is a quick one I may get an old school SD really cheap card that is a 512 or a gig or so. Those are dirt cheap now, aren't they? That would simply be if I run out of room on my "ace" card. Anyone know a reliable list for how many pictures can be stored on a card at each type of shot at each memory card size? Here is what the guide says... Is it accurate? (These are per 128MB)
Raw Best Better Good
Raw - 11 X X X
6MP - X 34 70 117
4MP - X 51 96 161
1.5MP - X 106 173 271

That seems pretty good... as long as I'm not shooting raw very often. And even if I am... At 2 GB that chart would have 176 at RAW and 544 at Best 6MP, right? That's a lot, even for how many I take. I'd always shoot at raw with that, or almost always, anyway. Unless I had really specific reasons for not. Otherwise, I'd get a 1GB card and a 512 backup, most likely. But if the price different isn't huge... I may appreciate the jump at some point.

What do you guys think? What are my best options?

aj98

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2006
Hey everyone, here is my situation, perhaps you can help me decide what I need...

So, I'll be needing an SD card for a Pentax K110D, most likely, or at least, I want to be prepared for that. Now, I'm a college student, so price is important to me. But other things are important to me as well. I mean, I want it to be able to snap a quicker picture quickly, but if it's a different of 50 dollars and is a few nanoseconds who cares? I can't justify it while I'm still in school. Also, I want to be able to store a lot of pictures at a time, I go out and can take many many pictures and don't want to have to bother with deleting ones I don't like while I'm out and taking pictures. So I may get two cards, and if one is a quick one I may get an old school SD really cheap card that is a 512 or a gig or so. Those are dirt cheap now, aren't they? That would simply be if I run out of room on my "ace" card. Anyone know a reliable list for how many pictures can be stored on a card at each type of shot at each memory card size? Here is what the guide says... Is it accurate? (These are per 128MB)
Raw Best Better Good
Raw - 11 X X X
6MP - X 34 70 117
4MP - X 51 96 161
1.5MP - X 106 173 271

That seems pretty good... as long as I'm not shooting raw very often. And even if I am... At 2 GB that chart would have 176 at RAW and 544 at Best 6MP, right? That's a lot, even for how many I take. I'd always shoot at raw with that, or almost always, anyway. Unless I had really specific reasons for not. Otherwise, I'd get a 1GB card and a 512 backup, most likely. But if the price different isn't huge... I may appreciate the jump at some point.

What do you guys think? What are my best options?

I have both a Sandisk (2g) and a Lexar (1g) SD card. No noticable difference in the two.

Unless you are in a huge hurry, watch the pre-christmas sales. I picked up the 2g card on Black Friday for 29$ (reg price $103) :)

My Kodak is a 5mp, and stores as jpg; each pic is about 2mb - I get about 300 shots on the 1gb card. The 2gb card will provide about 2x that, or up to 80 minutes of video.

for a relative guide, a week in Hawaii....700 frames, 4x 128 cards in my old 2.1 camera.

A week in Orlando (Disney, Epcot, Seaworld), not quite 300 shots, 1 card on the kodak, with room to spare.

The convenience of only one card is hard to beat...

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Sure, some would argue the convenience of one card is hard to beat, but others would argue a backup card would be nice to have. But as far as speed when taking pictures it really doesn't matter? I may just get a cheaper 2GB card and shoot at RAW.

How's this one look?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
There is little noticeable difference between brands. You can't even buy slow SD cards. They are all 20x or 80x speeds and I've seen 2Gb cards sell for $29. Watch the sales and pick them up when you see a good deal.

But test them before you take them on a long trip. Don't buy the day before you leave.
(this goes for any photo gear)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
But as far as speed when taking pictures it really doesn't matter? I may just get a cheaper 2GB card and shoot at RAW.

The camera has built-in buffer memory. It should hold a few shots. (Some camera have more or less of this memory -- read the camera specs.) As long as you don't over run the internal buffer the speed of the card does not matter. Mostly the fast card will be noticed when you download the images to the computers. Cuts a minute or so off the download time

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
Hi,
A little piece of advice ...... Don't put all your eggs in one basket !!!!

I would advise buying 2 x 1 Gb cards rather than a single 2 Gb. Modern cards are very reliable but occasionally they do go wrong.

Greetings from Ireland

Dave :)

aj98

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.