Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Approx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Norway
Hey folks...

I have been trying too get my pb12" too read allregions dvd´s...
Have any got there pb12" to be region free?

I readed on this forum that it was posible to get vlc to play other regions. but my drive isnt rpc1 but i can read the dvd´s but i cant play them get an encoding error...

Have any been sucssesfully playing difrent regions?

I have only one change left on the region switch.

Do any one know if some one is working on a region free firmwire?

Thanks

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Just a note before you use any of the utilities listed on that page... You must patch the firmware of your drive first to use any of these!!! If you use these utilities and have not patched the firmware you could end up with a drive locked in the wrong region. All these utilities do is change your drive region setting (which you can only do five times before it is locked). As far as I know (and as far as this site knows if you look at the firmware patches they offer) the new Ti and Al Books have no firmware patch available yet.

Also, any of these changes to the drives firmware can cause problems if not done correctly i.e. your drive may not be even recognizable by the computer if done wrong. This would basically make the drive useless.

Just a heads up. I would hate to see a brand new 12" with no working drive :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.