PDA

View Full Version : Leopard iChat Answering Machine

MacRumors
Dec 13, 2006, 01:28 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The latest build (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061213003836.shtml) of Leopard (9A321) released yesterday introduces a new feature that has not been described by Apple (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/ichat.html) as a new feature in Mac OS X 10.5's iChat.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/answeringichat.jpg

The new iChat answering preference tab allows users to record a Video greeting to serve as an answering message when users are away from their desk. The caller may then leave a message. At this time, there only appears to be partial functionality implemented.

The ability to record video-clips has previously been suggested as a tie in (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061205152617.shtml) to the iPhone to provide a "call ahead" feature.

SilentPanda
Dec 13, 2006, 01:30 PM
Kinda stinks. I like iChat but I use AdiumX simply because I hate having two IM programs open when one will do. I hope AdiumX can use these features although I'm doubting so. Or maybe all my friends should get Macs? :D

srobert
Dec 13, 2006, 01:31 PM
Recorded video messages in ichat? Love the idea.

BornAgainMac
Does any instant message client do this yet?

Josias
Looks pretty nice. iChat has really turned inferior to MSN, and could need a bump.It's awesome and all, but until it supports MSN, no way I'm gonna use it. I'd gladly have Leopard delayed till may if this could be a new feature:D (MSN support for new better iChat...):rolleyes:

gandalf55
Dec 13, 2006, 01:35 PM
This seems mildly useful. If there was a tie-in with an iPhone, thats cool too.

bommai
Looks pretty nice. iChat has really turned inferior to MSN, and could need a bump.It's awesome and all, but until it supports MSN, no way I'm gonna use it. I'd gladly have Leopard delayed till may if this could be a new feature:D (MSN support for new better iChat...):rolleyes:

I am pretty sure MSN support will require Microsoft's cooperation. Also, is MSN really that popular. Most people I know are on AOL or Yahoo. I know one person that is on MSN.

devman

Gizmo does it.

Josias
Dec 13, 2006, 01:36 PM
I am pretty sure MSN support will require Microsoft's cooperation. Also, is MSN really that popular. Most people I know are on AOL or Yahoo. I know one person that is on MSN.

Reversed here. I know one person on AIM...:D

~Shard~
Dec 13, 2006, 01:41 PM
This isn't a bad idea in theory, but I feel that iChat as a whole needs to be reworked and improved for functionality like this to be really useful. Here's hoping we see a revamped iChat as part of Leopard as well. :cool:

Peel
Dec 13, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think this is a great new feature. My home Mac is in my home office, which is the back room of my house, and I often don't notice when someone's trying to get ahold of me. The answering machine concept is an easy one for most people to grasp.

runplaysleeprun

I've noticed that Europeans mainly use MSN, while most Americans use AIM, and a few yahoo.

I think its a plot by the long-distance phone companies.

apachie2k

almost everyone i know out of the u.s uses msn, while everyone in the u.s. uses aim!

apachie2k
Dec 13, 2006, 01:44 PM
don't forget my spanish peeps in la republica, they use it alot...
the only euopeans i know are the french, and i know they all use it too

narco
Dec 13, 2006, 01:45 PM
This would be awesome if it can send those messages to my .Mac mail or even as a voice mail to my phone. But then again, they could just CALL ME.

I'm also looking forward to iChat comparing to Adium. I hate having to open up iChat every time someone wants to send me a file or do a video chat.

Fishes,
narco.

arn
Dec 13, 2006, 01:47 PM
I think an iChat answering machine is nice and all.... but only becomes really useful if an iPhone is introduced that can make calls to iChat'ers.

arn

tny
Dec 13, 2006, 01:51 PM
I think an iChat answering machine is nice and all.... but only becomes really useful if an iPhone is introduced that can make calls to iChat'ers.

arn

It really does look as though they're targeting Skype, not AIM.

jmbear
Dec 13, 2006, 01:52 PM
All of my friends from Mexico use MSN, all of my friends from the US use AIM. I wish iChat was compatible with MSN, that would be cool. The video greeting is a cool feature but just another whistle in iChat, not really that useful I think. I am excited about the call forward thing though...

arn
It really does look as though they're targeting Skype, not AIM.

perhaps... Skype/VOIP is not an area that I've every gotten into.

arn

JME120
This is a great great idea, I saw something similar from Cox communications, but it never really took off, as someone mentioned tight it to Iphone and you get a winning product.
Overall Ichat video is very good , but it does need some interface rework, (anyone who as seen MS Communicator 2007 , it is not bad at all)

Cheers to Apple engineers, keep the good work

Supa_Fly
Dec 13, 2006, 01:59 PM
WICKED!

It seems that my predictions are coming to fruition.
(check a few of my last posts on what the iPhone is capable of http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3104042&postcount=86)

> I see THIS feature working well over Verizon or Cingular's highspeed data wireless network along with the iPhone.

Video calling and Video VoiceVideoMail (VVM) to your Mac or .Mac account.

BTW, ScotiaMcLeod Mutual fund company here in Canada raised their initial $90CAN forecast from earlier this year to $110/stock!!! :eek:

I just saw this moments ago on CityPulse24!!

berniemac
Dec 13, 2006, 02:03 PM
Everyone I know uses Google Talk (partially because I told them to try it out). It's nice that it works with iChat but it would be even nicer to see voice support and eventually video.

dejo
Dec 13, 2006, 02:08 PM

MSN and Yahoo are now interoperable.

Microsoft and Yahoo! Announce Landmark Interoperability Agreement to Connect Consumer Instant Messaging Communities Globally (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/oct05/10-12MSNYahooMessengerPR.mspx)

miketcool
Dec 13, 2006, 02:16 PM
Might as well simplify your life and drop having both a wireless and a home phone. Fuse them using VOIP and an iPhone. Apple could be pushing into a new realm for telecommunications as well...

Mobility151990
Dec 13, 2006, 02:17 PM
i live in the uk and all my friends at college use MSN not one uses AIM, so thats 200+ people with MSN. Lol so while the feature is cool it is totally useless to me, i will never ever use iChat until they bring in msn support..

SciTeach
Dec 13, 2006, 02:22 PM
I wonder if it allows you to screen the calls like a real answering machine?:D :rolleyes: :p

MacIllini
Dec 13, 2006, 02:22 PM
stopped using AIM cuz i can't figure out how to get past my wireless router's firewall. MSN for me... at least for now :confused:

phpwzrd
Dec 13, 2006, 02:28 PM
The flaw I find most fascinating with iChat is the inability to connect to multiple accounts at once (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc). Adium can do this no problem! When will iChat?

Once iChat does, won't that help capture the market?

stephenmckeague
Dec 13, 2006, 02:28 PM
ARGH!!! Stupid Americans...
"LOLZ!!!111oneoneeleven but leik no1 uses MSN"
HOW MANY MORE TIMES??? MSN is (albeit unfortunately) VERY popular in Europe!!!

Websnapx2
Dec 13, 2006, 02:33 PM
Everyone I know (save for my cousin in Boston and a friend in Chi-Town) is on MSN, even the mac people I know. They may have a AIM account as do I but if you actually want to talk to some one (at least in canada, it's on MSN).

bigandy
Dec 13, 2006, 02:36 PM
I am pretty sure MSN support will require Microsoft's cooperation.

like adium didn't? :rolleyes:

hawken1
Dec 13, 2006, 02:38 PM
perhaps Apple should think about solving compability issues between panther and tiger in ichat before taking it further...

After my girlfriend installed tiger the audiochat stopped working. now it works again since I moved up to Tiger...

stuff like that really sucks... When they release applications without proper testing.

dejo
Dec 13, 2006, 02:40 PM
The flaw I find most fascinating with iChat is the inability to connect to multiple accounts at once (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc). Adium can do this no problem! When will iChat?
If that's a flaw, most IM clients suffer from it. Adium and others were designed for the sole issue of interoperability, but they still require you to have accounts on each system. True interoperability, like demonstrated with iChat and AIM or Yahoo and MSN, only require one account. Oh, for the day when you only need one account on one system to chat with all others on iChat, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Skype, etc.

Peace
Dec 13, 2006, 02:42 PM
If that's a flaw, most IM clients suffer from it. Adium and others were designed for the sole issue of interoperability, but they still require you to have accounts on each system. True interoperability, like demonstrated with iChat and AIM or Yahoo and MSN, only require one account. Oh, for the day when you only need one account on one system to chat with all others on iChat, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Skype, etc.

THAT day will never come.

mr_matalino
Dec 13, 2006, 02:42 PM

arn

Free calls/video calling from an iPhone to iChat!!

Markleshark
Dec 13, 2006, 02:44 PM

That would rock your socks off.

MacsRgr8
Dec 13, 2006, 02:45 PM
gr8!

Our first real screenshot of the new Leopard build! :)

I want more... more... more... more... :D

EDIT: wow... I was immediatley kicked out of my iChat, and cannot reconnect. They are on to me!! :p

mdntcallr
Dec 13, 2006, 02:50 PM
sounds like a nice improvement to ichat av

dejo
Dec 13, 2006, 02:53 PM
How 'bout MOST others? Can I get that?

darwen
Dec 13, 2006, 02:53 PM
This goes nicely with another recent rumor.

Rychiar
Dec 13, 2006, 02:58 PM
AOL liek invented the instant messenger. AIM was around far longer than any of the others and has the biggest user base. I remember when MSN came out years later. I could log on with my hotmail email to get on but why would I. I don't see why anyone ever started usin it. It's liek gmail and myspace IM, i dunno why anyone would start using them. Maybe its cus microsoft forcefeeds ther products.... btw ichat does suck next to adium but i get disonnected alot on adium. I wish we'd get a new true AIM, that was the best, i miss the share folder

Andrew Danks
Dec 13, 2006, 03:00 PM

Apple may include MSN support because they are trying to get Windows users switched to Mac and most Windows users have MSN Messenger. Apple has already made Internet Explorer for Mac obsolete with Safari, so let's hope they'll make Microsoft Messenger for Mac obsolete too :)

Adium seems to have too many bugs, but it is pretty good if you just like to text chat.

theBB
Dec 13, 2006, 03:01 PM
Might as well simplify your life and drop having both a wireless and a home phone. Fuse them using VOIP and an iPhone. Apple could be pushing into a new realm for telecommunications as well...
Well, simplify your life by just canceling your wired home phone, no need to wait for VOIP.

nathan2301
Dec 13, 2006, 03:04 PM
i live in the uk and all my friends at college use MSN not one uses AIM, so thats 200+ people with MSN. Lol so while the feature is cool it is totally useless to me, i will never ever use iChat until they bring in msn support..

Jeepers, you have 200 friends!! Must make for some wicked parties.

I must say almost everyone here in Australia uses MSN (well that I know). Seems like everyone but Americans use MSN

MacsRgr8
Dec 13, 2006, 03:04 PM
Maybe its cus microsoft forcefeeds ther products....

That's exactly it.
I remember when I used to install Win 98 the MSN login info kept appearing, almost forcing you to create an MSN account. Ofcourse you could eventually turn it off, but most people found it easier to setup an account, than turing the "feature" off.. ;)

Installing Panther or Tiger also gives you the option to create a .Mac account during setup, but you can skip it very, very easily, and it never bugs you again.

One of the major differences between Micro$$oft and Apple, IMHO.

aswitcher
Dec 13, 2006, 03:07 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The latest build (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061213003836.shtml) of Leopard (9A321) released yesterday introduces a new feature that has not been described by Apple (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/ichat.html) as a new feature in Mac OS X 10.5's iChat.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/answeringichat.jpg

The new iChat answering preference tab allows users to record a Video greeting to serve as an answering message when users are away from their desk. The caller may then leave a message. At this time, there only appears to be partial functionality implemented.

The ability to record video-clips has previously been suggested as a tie in (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061205152617.shtml) to the iPhone to provide a "call ahead" feature.

Looks good, but I am hoping for more functionality.

I wonder if it will forward recordings onto an email address...

Can you set up one message for people you have as a buddy and another for everyone else?

Can it receive files in your absense from buddies?

Can you keep, export or archive video messages - and can you associate these through your Address Book?

dAlen
Dec 13, 2006, 03:07 PM

MSN??? If I can help it Microsoft will not be on my mac. :-)
Forget MSN, AIM, Yahoo...what about skype, seems popular where Im at in Europe. I can call landlines (do all the time), cell phones, i have answering machine, and free calls to PCs as well as the normal chat features with video.

So MSN...havent even checked it out, doubt its doing what skype is...regardless, whatever apple does, it will need to meet and exceed skype.
I have a mac and never use ichat...this is pretty bad for apple, as it appears many people use something else. They would do well to make it compatible with skype. Seems like it hasnt taken off in the states. Though they have free calls to cells and landlines in the states.

I dont own a phone, and have no need for one...skype has been quite well for me, though I would hope apple would finally catch up. :-)

Peace

dAlen

sivancotel
Dec 13, 2006, 03:09 PM
I wonder if it allows you to screen the calls like a real answering machine?:D :rolleyes: :p

since the preferences pane for "answering" has options for "manually" or presumed other choices, I'd imagine that when new voice chat request comes in, you'd have the options to accepts, reject, or send straight to voicemail.

Dec 13, 2006, 03:10 PM
Kinda stinks. I like iChat but I use AdiumX simply because I hate having two IM programs open when one will do. I hope AdiumX can use these features although I'm doubting so. Or maybe all my friends should get Macs? :D

Why do they need Macs? Or are you not using AIM?

dAlen
Dec 13, 2006, 03:10 PM

again, skype, in the U.S., was offering free calls to cells and land lines...not to just an iphone. Apple really needs to catch up with skype. They even have skypecast...pretty popular. Next will be a whiteboard Im sure...again, Im surprised apple is this far behind times, and kind of surprised people dont use skype in the states.

Peace

dAlen

sivancotel
Dec 13, 2006, 03:15 PM

on the contrary, that day will definitely come. remember the early days of consumer-oriented internet? when people used services like AOL or Prodigy, and there was little-to-no inter-communication possible? now you can e-mail from any domain to any other domain seemlessly.

there will eventually be total interoperability of iChat, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Skype, etc., where all you'll need is an account with one of them and then be able to communicate with others. if we see true integration in the iPhone as a pioneer and then later devices in the future, we might be able to call iChat, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Skype, from Verizon, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc. (just U.S. based service providers as examples, but you get the idea).

Moof1904
Dec 13, 2006, 03:17 PM
Does the presence of this report mean that one of the developers to whom this build was seeded has violated the confidentiality agreement with Apple?

If so, isn't that a bit slimy?

dejo
Dec 13, 2006, 03:18 PM
...and kind of surprised people dont use skype in the states.
Besides all the benefits you get from Skype, it requires you to create a new account on the Skype system (and your desired account name may already have been taken) and then you can only chat with other Skype users. Perhaps that would be a reason to be resistent. I'm still gonna continue to push the ideal one-account-for-all-systems dream!

yellow
Dec 13, 2006, 03:20 PM
Be prepared for my talking butt cheeks, a la Ace Ventura. :)

Websnapx2
Dec 13, 2006, 03:21 PM
AOL liek invented the instant messenger. AIM was around far longer than any of the others and has the biggest user base. I remember when MSN came out years later. I could log on with my hotmail email to get on but why would I. I don't see why anyone ever started usin it. It's liek gmail and myspace IM, i dunno why anyone would start using them. Maybe its cus microsoft forcefeeds ther products.... btw ichat does suck next to adium but i get disonnected alot on adium. I wish we'd get a new true AIM, that was the best, i miss the share folder

Around here (canada) People got a Hotmail account as their first Email account, then added contacts, then realized the can talk to those same contacts through chat and now are leery of changing from it, especially since they can use msn even on a mac. AOL never really took off here so Hotmail was their first foray into free web service.

BWhaler
Dec 13, 2006, 03:22 PM
Leopard is starting to look very, very cool.

My dream and hope is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Apple is only showing as much as they have to so they may get bug reports and to give developers the ability to make sure their programs are optimized for Leopard.

But I hope Jobs is going to knock the world on the floor with Leopard. Make 10.5 as big of a leap as OS X was to begin with.

Fingers crossed...and very excited...

Poff
Dec 13, 2006, 03:22 PM
perhaps Apple should think about solving compability issues between panther and tiger in ichat before taking it further...

After my girlfriend installed tiger the audiochat stopped working. now it works again since I moved up to Tiger...

stuff like that really sucks... When they release applications without proper testing.

So that's why?? I've wondered why audiochats with certain people didn't work for a long time. You just solved my mystery. :D

I think pow-wow, and maybe icq, was before aim..

Beligerent
Dec 13, 2006, 03:25 PM
I dont think Apple will ever make iChat a killer app. No revenue in it. Another thing that kills me is it only gets updated when a new OS version is released. Apple will never be able to charge for iChat simply no one would pay. Also video between iChat a/v and Aim on windows is still dicey... has been since the beginning.

It blows my mind that in 2006 video conferencing still isnt mainstream.

Frozonecold
Dec 13, 2006, 03:26 PM
Leopard is starting to look very, very cool.

My dream and hope is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Apple is only showing as much as they have to so they may get bug reports and to give developers the ability to make sure their programs are optimized for Leopard.

But I hope Jobs is going to knock the world on the floor with Leopard. Make 10.5 as big of a leap as OS X was to begin with.

Fingers crossed...and very excited...I too hope Steve shows us something amazing. I bet the hidden feature(s) will be a unified interface.

lazyrighteye
Dec 13, 2006, 03:26 PM

Most frustrating for me, is that I have to accept every file transfer - making file transfers impossile if not sittign behind my Mac.

My PC-using friends can set their IMs up that will allow designated addresses to send files in some auto accept mode.

Neat.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 03:28 PM
Now, if I connect my phone to my mac via bluetooth, will iChat act as an answering machine and let me screen cellphone calls on my mac? I can see this stuff going farrrr. Where can I get my iPhone?

Doctor Q
Dec 13, 2006, 03:29 PM
How long before somebody creates a website of "funny iChat answering machine greetings" with a list of buddy names to contact (and hope you get their greeting message, not them).

And then how long until advertisers figure out that getting a funny ad onto that list will give them free publicity?

And then how long until somebody develops a system to solve that problem -- a way to automatically weed out the ads from the personal greetings that are worth watching?

dejo
Dec 13, 2006, 03:31 PM
I think pow-wow, and maybe icq, was before aim..
ICQ, for sure, was before AIM. It debuted in Nov 96 and AIM came out May 97. That is why AOL bought ICQ (for the sweet sum of $407 million): they were concerned about the user base ICQ was building.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 03:31 PM
I dont think Apple will ever make iChat a killer app. No revenue in it. Another thing that kills me is it only gets updated when a new OS version is released. Apple will never be able to charge for iChat simply no one would pay. Also video between iChat a/v and Aim on windows is still dicey... has been since the beginning.

There's no revenue behind being able to search your computer quickly, or automate tasks quickly, or view all your program windows at once, or perform basic math, or look up ski conditions, but together it makes up OS X, which is what is responsible for most of apple's revenue.

and no, apple will never charge for it, unless they hook additional features into it with .mac.

Poff
Dec 13, 2006, 03:40 PM
ICQ, for sure, was before AIM. It debuted in Nov 96 and AIM came out May 97. That is why AOL bought ICQ (for the sweet sum of $407 million): they were concerned about the user base ICQ was building.

Cool. After doing some searching, I found out pow-wow was even earlier. -95. Never really caught on, even though it had great features for the time. buddies, group chats, bulletin board, file transfer, speech synthesizer (!!), instant messaging, voice-over-IP (!!), a shared whiteboard for drawing and so forth.

I mean, that's pretty much Skype++ in 1995.

failsafe1
Dec 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
I just want to know how I connect my rotary phone to my machine to get this cool new feature?

joeshell383
Dec 13, 2006, 04:02 PM

I think MSN is more popular abroad (Europe, etc.) While I don't have numbers, my own experiences lead me to believe AIM is definitely the most prevalent service in the U.S.

mainstreetmark
Dec 13, 2006, 04:03 PM

But WHAT a day that will be.

AdiumX 1.0b at least lets you paste pics in, like iChat does, so that's a major step forward.

And, of course, I'd like a nice "proxy" sort of service where it doesn't matter what client THEY are using, it translates them to whatever client YOUR using. I mean, the content is the same, just the language is different, so why not have mark@hotmail.com!VIA_AIM or some goofball thing, so i can talk to MSN folks from iChat.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe I'll just code one and be done with it.

Edit: Jabber does this stuff, doesn't it.

joeshell383
Dec 13, 2006, 04:13 PM

ARGH!!! Stupid Non-Americans...
"LOLZ!!!111oneoneeleven but leik no1 uses AIM"
HOW MANY MORE TIMES??? AIM is (albeit unfortunately) VERY popular in America!!!

joeshell383
Dec 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
I just wish Apple would open up their apps to other services. For instance, the only search engine in Safari is Google. Why not let me choose the search provider like in Firefox, Opera, IE7? iChat is only AIM. Why not let me choose like in Adium?

twoodcc
Dec 13, 2006, 04:21 PM
Recorded video messages in ichat? Love the idea.

me too. can't wait for Leopard

yellow
Dec 13, 2006, 04:24 PM
For instance, the only search engine in Safari is Google. Why not let me choose the search provider like in Firefox, Opera, IE7?

Use Saft to change it.

Or try this hint.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030514035516436

JARS
Dec 13, 2006, 04:26 PM
I truly do wish that ichat would incorporate all of the major messaging services. There are a great many independent chat clients which support yahoo, AOL, MSN, jabber, and others. It is high time that able did this to with its ichat. I looks far better than MSN or AOL IM in functionality but its compatability stinks. I think that compatibility ought to be a higher concern than features at this point. This feature is cool but its usefulness pales in comparison to the need to provide support for all chat services.

dejo
Dec 13, 2006, 04:28 PM
I truly do wish that ichat would incorporate all of the major messaging services. There are a great many independent chat clients which support yahoo, AOL, MSN, jabber, and others.
Yes, but it needs to do it without requiring accounts on each of those services...

tadunne
Dec 13, 2006, 04:29 PM
Edit: Jabber does this stuff, doesn't it.

Thats right jabber lets ichat chat to anyone on any network (text only) I have it set up right now. I use Google talk as a jabber account and the gateway services on a different jabber server let me talk to both my msn and aim mates.

I also have the added benefit of being able to use Gmails web based chat client to talk to the very same people, while I'm at work.

Instructions here (http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber)

kcroy
Dec 13, 2006, 04:40 PM
Hi this is Steve.

I can't answer my iPhone right now, but leave a video message and I'll touch back with you after my meeting with Bill.

Hmmmmm....Works for me.:rolleyes:

WildPalms
Dec 13, 2006, 04:48 PM
almost everyone i know out of the u.s uses msn, while everyone in the u.s. uses aim!

Studies have shown exactly that. AIM is the predominant IM of choice in the US.

WildPalms
Dec 13, 2006, 04:52 PM

based on your anti-American statement....who cares about europe?

WildPalms
Dec 13, 2006, 05:01 PM
Most frustrating for me, is that I have to accept every file transfer - making file transfers impossile if not sittign behind my Mac.

My PC-using friends can set their IMs up that will allow designated addresses to send files in some auto accept mode.

Neat.

Automatically accept files in IM? ...wow, thats dangerous. Sounds like you need to setup a common repository if you are transferring files that frequently for work.

WildPalms
Dec 13, 2006, 05:02 PM
I just want to know how I connect my rotary phone to my machine to get this cool new feature?

Rotary phone for the win! :D :D :D

jonharris200
Dec 13, 2006, 05:05 PM
perhaps... Skype/VOIP is not an area that I've every gotten into.

arn
All my friends in UK and around the world use Skype, not AIM, Yahoo or MSN. Interesting to see (anecdotally) the spread of usage in this discussion.

Peel
Dec 13, 2006, 05:16 PM

It blows my mind that in 2006 video conferencing still isnt mainstream.

But...if iChat becomes the front end for the iPhone, (and the iPhone takes off like the iPod did), then iChat becomes mission critical software for Apple, much like iTunes is. Remember Apple makes no money off of iTunes downloads, but from the associated iPod sales. Perhaps we'll see the same model here with a tightly integrated software/hardware package supporting the sale of the iPhone.

bankshot
Dec 13, 2006, 06:02 PM
My killer iChat feature: instead of sending video from your camera, send video of your desktop. This could go a long way towards allowing technical collaboration among teams from different physical locations. You could toggle back and forth between camera and desktop.

Of course there are plenty of other systems available to do this sort of thing, like NetMeeting and such, but it seems so natural to have it as part of iChat. I was in a video chat the other day with another developer on a hobby project I work on, and while it was a much more productive meeting than text chat, I kept wanting to show him things from my screen as part of the discussion.

You'd think that Apple would use such a feature very extensively for themselves, too.

lazyrighteye
Dec 13, 2006, 06:13 PM
Be prepared for my talking butt cheeks, a la Ace Ventura. :)

If said butt cheeks are associated with your avatar, consider me prepared.

Giggle giggle...

jholzner
Dec 13, 2006, 06:20 PM
My killer iChat feature: instead of sending video from your camera, send video of your desktop. This could go a long way towards allowing technical collaboration among teams from different physical locations. You could toggle back and forth between camera and desktop.

Of course there are plenty of other systems available to do this sort of thing, like NetMeeting and such, but it seems so natural to have it as part of iChat. I was in a video chat the other day with another developer on a hobby project I work on, and while it was a much more productive meeting than text chat, I kept wanting to show him things from my screen as part of the discussion.

You'd think that Apple would use such a feature very extensively for themselves, too.

That is one of the new features. You may want to watch the WWDC demo of 10.5

From Apple:

Share and share alike
Remote control takes on a whole new meaning with iChat in Leopard. Thanks to iChat Screen Sharing, you and your buddy can observe and control a single desktop via iChat, making it a cinch to collaborate with colleagues, browse the Web with a friend, or pick the perfect plane seats with your spouse. Share your own desktop or share your buddy’s — you both have complete control at all times. And when you start a Screen Sharing session, iChat automatically initiates an audio chat so you can talk things through while you’re at it.

Doctor Q
Dec 13, 2006, 06:51 PM
My killer iChat feature: instead of sending video from your camera, send video of your desktop. This could go a long way towards allowing technical collaboration among teams from different physical locations. You could toggle back and forth between camera and desktop.See previous news story: iChat AV White Boarding? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060426003512.shtml)

shodson
Dec 13, 2006, 06:59 PM

Yahoo Messenger has had this feature for almost a year

ChrisA
Dec 13, 2006, 07:02 PM
The term is "integrated messaging". The idea is that the phone, VOIP, email and IM all will look like one seamless service. It is one service but with different "classes". One is "store and forward" which we call email or voice mail but it is the same thing. IM is the same thing but without the "store". Phone is an even more direct connection.

Whoever gets integrated messaging". right first will have a big win. I think Apple is working on this. I think (a first cut at) integrated messaging is one of Leopard's "super secret' features

taijuan
Dec 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
gr8!

Our first real screenshot of the new Leopard build! :)

I want more... more... more... more... :D

EDIT: wow... I was immediatley kicked out of my iChat, and cannot reconnect. They are on to me!! :p

I'm in Taiwan and that happens almost every time I try to log on. It takes me on average about 6 attempts before it lets me log on.

CJD2112
Dec 13, 2006, 09:44 PM

Seen 9A303 build, iChat on Leopard was great in that it logs you into all your accounts at once. I liked that feature as currently I can not use my AIM and .MAC account simultaneously. AIM icons are also animated, so it seems many other bells and whistles are being incorporated. I'm really intrigued by Leopards remote desktop on iChat coming out, in which your desktop changes to the party in which your conversing with. This is great for working on a project together, etc. but I have it from a source that Apple plans on implementing tech support (like Dell currently does) through iChat. A tech agent will be able to log into your system and work with a client in repairing any issues.

CJD2112
Dec 13, 2006, 09:55 PM
Think about it guys. The Mac will become a central hub for everything in your home. iTv for Movies and television programs wirelessly, torrents used in Leopard will allow higher download speeds for DVD and HD DVD's in iTunes making netflix and blockbuster yesterdays news. ITunes and Airport Extreme for wireless music, iChat video answering system for your land lines and iPhone's keep you constantly connected. Some people even have wireless security camera's set up to broadcast home monitoring to a private password encoded web address to check up on your home, kids, babysitter from any where at any time. Why not incorporate that into a Mac/PC system? The computer is becoming the doorway to your home and lives, quite fascinating...

chrisxkelley
Dec 13, 2006, 10:46 PM
If you're looking to get MSN on iChat, check this out:

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/

iW00t
Dec 13, 2006, 11:14 PM

Probably never. Adium did it with the help of GPLed libraries, for iChat to do the same Apple would either have to reimplement these libraries or open up the source for iChat.

PodHead
Dec 13, 2006, 11:36 PM

Yeah, you can forget MSN support. Yahoo, on the other hand, might be more feesible. I have 52 Yahoo contacts, 108 AOL contacts, 5 MSN contacts:eek:
Don't think any of the cool kids are using MSN.:cool:

gonnabuyamac
Dec 13, 2006, 11:50 PM

same here. nearly everyone i talk to is on msn.

Bern
Dec 14, 2006, 12:24 AM
Great idea but nobody uses iChat that I know so I have never used it in all the years it's existed.

iMikeT
Dec 14, 2006, 12:33 AM
Mac OS X 10.5 might just get me to begin using iChat.

bankshot
Dec 14, 2006, 12:37 AM
That is one of the new features. You may want to watch the WWDC demo of 10.5

From Apple:

Share and share alike
Remote control takes on a whole new meaning with iChat in Leopard. Thanks to iChat Screen Sharing, you and your buddy can observe and control a single desktop via iChat, making it a cinch to collaborate with colleagues, browse the Web with a friend, or pick the perfect plane seats with your spouse. Share your own desktop or share your buddy’s — you both have complete control at all times. And when you start a Screen Sharing session, iChat automatically initiates an audio chat so you can talk things through while you’re at it.

Shoot, was that in the demo? I watched that! Must be getting old... :o

I guess that explains where I got the idea. :D

Poff
Dec 14, 2006, 01:04 AM
All my friends in UK and around the world use Skype, not AIM, Yahoo or MSN. Interesting to see (anecdotally) the spread of usage in this discussion.

Yeah, I'm slowly getting people to swich to Skype aswell. People seem more willing to do that, since they've heard a lot about it.

I can't even get my heaviest Mac-users to swich to iChat, though. Even though I've tried. I guess I'll have to wait until there are 10 of us who all know each other, always online or something. Or maybe install Jabber on the other computers. (I've helped a few "newcomers" setting up their computer.)

p0intblank
Dec 14, 2006, 01:34 AM
This sounds like it would be awesome! :D It's the little things that excite me the most.

GregA
Dec 14, 2006, 02:11 AM
I dont think Apple will ever make iChat a killer app. No revenue in it. <snip> Apple will never be able to charge for iChat simply no one would pay.There's money in VoIP though (to a point). Make iChat a virtual VoIP phone, charge $5 for a "real" phone number that can replace your regular phone line if you want... and then a minimal cost to make calls anywhere in the world. Free calls to any other iChat user of course just like it is now.

Take it a step further and sell a really cheap USB handset that plugs into your Mac, so it doesn't have to be handsfree. Or another step further and make a bluetooth handset that works within 30ft of your Mac (or perhaps we should go truly wireless with an Airport Phone). All using a iChat/VoIP system. It can easily BECOME something with revenue attached.

It blows my mind that in 2006 video conferencing still isnt mainstream.I want my (ethernet-wired) Apple video phone in the kitchen, with a little iSight camera and 2.5inch colour screen. I want it running dashboard apps and syncing with my address book & buddy list.

gopher
Dec 14, 2006, 06:22 AM
To all who say Adium is great, it missed the boat on videochat functionality. Yahoo videochat that is two way isn't fully supported on the Mac on Yahoo. And iChat while it supports Jabber doesn't support videochat with anything but AIM. I hope that changes. For an answering service on my computer, that will never work unless they find a way to make it work completely wireless 24/7, or be lightning proof. No way I'm risking a $1000+ computer on the chance it might be struck by lightning.

samh004
Dec 14, 2006, 06:22 AM

Although the vast majority of IM users use AIM in the states, MSN is much more popular in other countries, and simply mentioning AIM in Australia draws blank looks from people sometimes.

I'm not sure what you mean, as iChat was not designed to connect to Yahoo or MSN, so obviously can't connect to it. But I am able to connect to both AIM and Jabber at the same time on my iChat.

I assume you mean multiple AIM accounts at the same time, I can't imagine it will be long before that feature is integrated.

JARS
Dec 14, 2006, 08:05 AM
<quote>There's money in VoIP though (to a point). Make iChat a virtual VoIP phone, charge $5 for a "real" phone number that can replace your regular phone line if you want... and then a minimal cost to make calls anywhere in the world. Free calls to any other iChat user of course just like it is now.</quote>

Basically that makes ichat a skype clone except with text chat for AIM. You can already get skype for mac and it has almost as good an interface as ichat. Its text chat is not nearly as cool as ichat's colored bubbles and aim icons. But the audio and video chat interface is excellent.

MacIllini
Dec 14, 2006, 11:40 AM
Google Talk... it's the next wave of the future :p

CiBoys
Dec 14, 2006, 12:36 PM
make it so i can add MSN w/ emotioncons and multiple AIM accounts.. thats all i care. iChat is great as it is, more cant hurt :D :D

sunfast
Dec 14, 2006, 01:43 PM
Such a good idea! I'm gutted that iChat isn't MSN compatible though - all these improvements to it in Leopard and I have no use for it! :(

Peace
Dec 14, 2006, 02:33 PM
Am I missing something?

How do all you Mac folks do video and audio chats with MSN messenger for Mac ?

Or are you using Windows?

GregA
Dec 14, 2006, 02:43 PM
Basically that makes ichat a skype clone except with text chat for AIM. You can already get skype for mac and it has almost as good an interface as ichat. Its text chat is not nearly as cool as ichat's colored bubbles and aim icons. But the audio and video chat interface is excellent.I guess that could be true. Skype offers computer chat, virtual phone numbers, and stand-alone Skype phones - and that's the beginning of what I'm suggesting Apple could make some money in.

I guess the question would become - is there room for Apple? Can Apple offer something significantly better than what Skype (or other VoIP providers) offer? (Or atleast - would they make enough money to warrant getting involved).

I think the answer is YES, myself. I think the market hasn't got anywhere near a point of making an evolutionary step. Routers don't handle the quality-of-service well enough, video doesn't seem to be thought of at all (why not video-talk VoIP-phone to mobile-phone?), there are very few cordless voip phones, phones rarely integrate with computer address books or act as an integrated part of the computer etc. Not to mention the possibility of home phones and mobile phones finally merging.

There's _room_ for innovation. And money there.

mixgrafix
Dec 14, 2006, 03:49 PM

Fire can be used with all of those messengers

Peace
Dec 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
Fire can be used with all of those messengers

Where's Fire's video and audio capabilities?

barnaby
Dec 15, 2006, 12:27 AM

It's really a regional thing. In the greater Toronto area for example, MSN is dominant. I believe AIM is dominant in California where apple is located. Personally I like google-talk, but know very few people who use it.

It's much like phone networks, only you're only allowed to talk to people on the same network. People who use multi-network clients are in the minority.
With the current infrastructure it's unlikely to change too.

I love iChat, but most of my friends use windows and MSN, so i'm stuck with adium.

barnaby
Dec 15, 2006, 12:32 AM
Such a good idea! I'm gutted that iChat isn't MSN compatible though - all these improvements to it in Leopard and I have no use for it! :(

MSN uses a proprietary protocol. There are plenty of open source clients that use it. But it's difficult to make a commercial product for it because of licensing issues. There's also the fact that Microsoft controls the database and servers.

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 15, 2006, 12:38 AM
Sounds pretty cool and i think the answer feature is a nice touch. However, i would really like to see ichat turn in the same direction as adium and support multiple accounts. Until it does, im still using adium. :rolleyes:

barnaby
Dec 15, 2006, 12:39 AM
To all who say Adium is great, it missed the boat on videochat functionality. Yahoo videochat that is two way isn't fully supported on the Mac on Yahoo. And iChat while it supports Jabber doesn't support videochat with anything but AIM. I hope that changes. For an answering service on my computer, that will never work unless they find a way to make it work completely wireless 24/7, or be lightning proof. No way I'm risking a $1000+ computer on the chance it might be struck by lightning.

Until someone does video chat well, i'll stick with a messenging client that does messaging well. I will often send instant messages as a short memo rather than an ongoing chat. I will often talk with mutliple people at the same time about different things. I will often talk to people when it is too loud around me, or I need to be quiet. There are plenty of times when instant messaging is useful and vidoe chat is not.

Adium is a great instant messaging client.