Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
I'm getting occasional crashes when gaming, and not only when overclocking (happens without o/c, happened before I've ever o/ced, so not related).

The game will freeze, the sound will stutter for a few seconds, then my MacBook Pro (C2D) will shut itself down, sometimes, but not always, displaying the blue screen of death.

Hasn't happened when I'm not gaming. The laptop itself doesn't feel particularly hot at all when this happens, and can happen 1 minute into a game or 1 hour.

Any ideas?

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
I'm getting occasional crashes when gaming, and not only when overclocking (happens without o/c, happened before I've ever o/ced, so not related).

The game will freeze, the sound will stutter for a few seconds, then my MacBook Pro (C2D) will shut itself down, sometimes, but not always, displaying the blue screen of death.

Hasn't happened when I'm not gaming. The laptop itself doesn't feel particularly hot at all when this happens, and can happen 1 minute into a game or 1 hour.

Any ideas?
Does this happen when you are using Bootcamp?

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Yep, in Windows XP SP2.

Itdoesn't appen regularly enough to make games unplayable. Sometimes it won't happen at all, and most games autosave - but it's a little unnerving.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I have no idea if this is related but Microstink runs a bunch of stuff on start up in XP. I was having constant HL2 craches and audio lock up & loops.They had some cures on their support page and this was one. By starting my machine without these things running has eliminated these crashes. I turned off three things system ini,process win, load start up this was under the run then msconfig field. This is was on a PC by the way.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Right, I'll give that a go. The crashes are getting more frequent. I'll also defrag my HD, because I haven't bothered to fix anything after a month of (infrequent up to now) crashes.

I'll also free up some disk space. There was only 1gig left, and maybe that was freaking it out.

Squirl

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2006
I also have a problem where games crash, only it happens every time that I try to play a game in Windows, I have a MacBook Pro 15'. I play a game for a while and then I hear the fan or something start to speed up, even in games that are not graphically intensive. I tried underclocking my graphics card and memory, and that seemed to delay the crash but it still crashed. When it crashes, it crashes and then immediately restarts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.