PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the first Gen iBook

Alte22a
May 3, 2003, 12:56 PM
Hi Guys, Wondering if you people can point me in the right direction. Have an old first generation ibook(blue) back home. Thinking about changing the HD and maxing the memory. Thing is I cant find a site that mentions the upgrade of the HD. Just thinking about using it to email and store digital pictures. Wish it had FW so can use it with the ipod.

SO can anyone one help? Is there a miracle to add firewire to the ageing ibook. :rolleyes:

RBMaraman
May 3, 2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Alte22a
SO can anyone one help? Is there a miracle to add firewire to the ageing ibook. :rolleyes:

You don't need FireWire to use the new iPod's. They now have a USB 2 connector, and USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1. So, you can use the new iPods through USB. But, file transfers will be very slow.

Kwyjibo
May 3, 2003, 01:19 PM
actually no, the USb stuff will only be for windows there won't be mac drivers according to the keynote. Your probably going to have to get a new mac sometime in the future.

Alte22a
May 3, 2003, 01:23 PM
using the ibook just to store stuff that I dont access that regularly. Plus can email, surf while the other macs are rendering or what have you. But would be nice to use itto backup the music from the ipod though never mind...:(

evoluzione
May 3, 2003, 01:47 PM
the original "clamshell" ibooks are a real problem when it comes to upgrading the HD, there's a load (like, 30) of screws to take out etc to get to it. not worth it unless you are really comfortable taking stuff apart...sorry :(

ibookin'
May 3, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by evoluzione
the original "clamshell" ibooks are a real problem when it comes to upgrading the HD, there's a load (like, 30) of screws to take out etc to get to it. not worth it unless you are really comfortable taking stuff apart...sorry :(

I've done it on an iBook 466 Graphite. It is a daunting procedure for anyone not confortable working on laptops. I got instructions off the web somewhere, and replacing the hard drive involves taking the whole thing apart, including taking the screen off.

Don't do it if you're not 100% comfortable with going into a laptop and totally dismantling it. Also, why don't use that lovely TiPB 1GHz with its 60GB Hard Drive?

pepeleuepe
May 3, 2003, 03:18 PM
I replaced the HD on my iBook 366mhz and it was a huge pain. The extra space is definately nice, but make sure you know what you're getting into first. The site below is what I used for instructions, it will be pretty clear after browsing through the site what is required.

http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html

Alte22a
May 4, 2003, 11:08 AM
Well since that I already have the Ti, I feel totally 100% to take the old clam shell apart. Thinking that I could upgrade it to give it a bit more life, all the clam shell is now is a massive paper weight.

beatle888
May 4, 2003, 12:47 PM
let us know what you think of the performance after you upgrade. dont forget to buy the fastest drive out there since you have to go through so much to install it. :)

iJon
May 4, 2003, 01:04 PM
you will need to have a authorized service center replace the hd for you. it will probably be pricey but it will be worth it. replacing the hd in ibooks is a bitch and a half by itself.

iJon

yzedf
May 4, 2003, 08:01 PM
since us PC users don't get to gloat much...

to replace the hdd in my ThinkPad 600X (1999) it takes all of 1 screw to remove! There is even a spacer so that 9.5mm or 12mm hdd's can be used.

Being that I am about to switch (broke up with ex a while ago... lost access to her iBook)... has anyone seen xbench scores for the new 900? Or even some comparison of general performance (ripping same cd or something)?

I am contemplating buying new 900 vs buying 800 off ebay (damn Apple and the CD-Rom only on current low-end 800) and a new iPod.

Thanks,
Chris