PDA

View Full Version : powerbook g4 crashing

ducksrfr
Dec 13, 2006, 10:02 PM
i'm having some old school os 8/9 crashes -- everything just freezes up. no kernal panic screen, i can't move the mouse, the keyboard doesn't even respond so i can't apple-ctrl-pwr to reboot, i have to hold down the power button to shut it off.

this is the second time it has happened in the past 2 weeks. any ideas?

mad jew
Dec 13, 2006, 10:10 PM
What recent changes have you made to your system? Do you have plenty of free space available? What sort of third party hardware (including RAM) do you have? :)

ducksrfr
Dec 13, 2006, 10:18 PM
i have 70 of 80 GBs of hard disk space free. i added 512 MB of owc RAM in early october, but haven't had any odd symptoms until last thursday.

Hockeypuck
Dec 13, 2006, 10:27 PM
Try removing that new RAM and see if it goes away. You might have ended up with a bad stick.

mad jew
Dec 14, 2006, 03:43 AM
Yeah, I agree. Even though RAM can act normally when first purchased, a bad stick can sometimes take a while to actually start playing up. The only real way to test it is to run the machine with the stick removed for a while to see if problems persist. The software-based RAM tests are useless.

ducksrfr
Dec 14, 2006, 02:44 PM
ok, i removed the stick of RAM and sent OWC an e-mail. i'll see where it goes from here.

thanks guys.

Swarmlord
Dec 14, 2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I agree. Even though RAM can act normally when first purchased, a bad stick can sometimes take a while to actually start playing up. The only real way to test it is to run the machine with the stick removed for a while to see if problems persist. The software-based RAM tests are useless.

It can act fine when it's cold and then act up after it's warmed up too.