PDA

View Full Version : iTunes sales are NOT plummeting! Press credibility, on the o...

MacBytes
Dec 14, 2006, 03:13 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iTunes sales are NOT plummeting! Press credibility, on the other hand . . . (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061214041312)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

PCMacUser
Dec 14, 2006, 03:48 AM
Sigh, this is just another example of how the media dictates what people believe, rather than reporting the facts...

Mord
Dec 14, 2006, 04:46 AM
Thought so. Just a zune ploy.

jimN
Dec 14, 2006, 05:31 AM
Thought so. Just a zune ploy.

Not sure that you can blame evil MS for this one. The fact of the matter is that there's no news like bad news.

mkrishnan
Dec 14, 2006, 05:47 AM
I had linked that NYT article in the thread that got deleted accidentally and called them on this. The Register article just didn't make any sense....

Queso
Dec 14, 2006, 06:01 AM
I had linked that NYT article in the thread that got deleted accidentally and called them on this. The Register article just didn't make any sense....
Orlowski rarely does. :rolleyes:

Mord
Dec 14, 2006, 06:11 AM
Not sure that you can blame evil MS for this one. The fact of the matter is that there's no news like bad news.

The register is not exactly known for being even handed to apple.

Queso
Dec 14, 2006, 06:17 AM
I find them fine, providing the article isn't written by "Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco". His stuff always comes across as quite poorly researched and sensationalist in tone.

It's not just Apple he does it with either.

mkrishnan
Dec 14, 2006, 06:28 AM
Ahhh, I see. What's confusing sometimes about the Register is that at least, online, their satire is not always instantly distinguished from their real journalism. And then to add to that, as you point out, I guess some of their real journalists aren't so diligent...

The NYT article is actually a great read. What it had to say about the market for ringtones was a real surprise to me. And we know that the CD industry is slumping... I think the key thing for the future is for Apple to take the etail entry point and continue to do innovative things with it, allowing for organic growth. They're doing more and more of this already. I think the monopoly issue is one that they will have to worry about before they have to deal with plummeting sales....

islandman
Dec 14, 2006, 06:38 AM
We should all go to iTunes today and buy a few songs and see what happens in the news next time. :D

rafperini
Dec 14, 2006, 12:08 PM
This is what I replied to the article in his blog. Here just in case they don't publish it:

"I believe that you are responsible for the information you make available. If you partially publish a report, you cannot argue that the information was misinterpreted because the full report (which requires a fee) was not read. Although in this last blog entry (iTunes sales are NOT plummeting! Press credibility, on the other hand . . .) you question the press credibility, you should instead question yours. This article just looks like you are trying to fix a terrible mistake that is publishing partial information that can be misinterpreted.

Letís make a quick analogy to medical journals. Abstracts of research are available for free (via pubmed), but the results are clearly stated and itís hard to misinterpret the information even without reading the entire article (that usually requires a subscription). If the results can be misinterpreted, it means that the journalís editor credibility and competency is questionable. Usually this happens in low impact and low credibility medical journal.

The lack of privacy on our credit card information is also very worrisome. Even more is that this information can be used to

Lastly, in your ďa word for AppleĒ you mention that Apple should be more willing to comment and share a bit more. Why not start with your company by sharing the report with everyone without requiring a $250 fee.

I think itís just too easy to blame on the press and Apple. Take some of the responsibility, which I think are actually liable for.

Best regards"

SilvorX
Dec 14, 2006, 12:50 PM
There's a newspaper here in Canada called the National Post that had an article with the title "iPods only last 18 months" a few weeks ago, the news media loves to bash Apple in this day (atleast in Canada), it just went on and on about how any iPod you buy won't last more than 18 months.. they need to actually ask more than the ONE person they based the whole article on.

I have 2 iPods, one is coming up to 3 years and the battery maintains a charge just as well as 3 years ago, and a shuffle from 1.5 years ago that's the same.

Whatever happened to the anti-Microsoft articles that papers used to write?, not including the Zune

K12MacTech
Dec 14, 2006, 01:21 PM
Sigh, this is just another example of how the media dictates what people believe, rather than reporting the facts...

Unfortunately with today's instant access to information, we see this more and more. Sometime it is amusing. I think it is hilarious when a news site takes a story from a rumors site and reports it as fact. Other times it isn't so benign. How many of you heard the news a few weeks ago that studies showed that red wine helped prevent obesity in mice? The problem is, that wasn't what was reported at all. In reality, the study showed that it reversed or prevented the ill effects of obesity (heart problems, cholesterol problems, high blood pressure, diabetes), but never once said that i prevented obesity itself. The point of the results were totally skewed by the main stream press. It is no surprise that our kids don't know how to properly filter good information from bad when they try and do research on the internet.

Eric5h5
Dec 14, 2006, 08:49 PM

They give Apple products good reviews, some reporters occasionally mention their Powerbooks or whatever, and their slant tends to be pro-Apple...so you're right; they're not even-handed. They're nicer to Apple than most other companies. ;) But if you're looking for blind Apple worship, of course you're not going to find that. Being what they are ("biting the hand that feeds IT"), they'll get their digs in when necessary....

--Eric

solvs
Dec 15, 2006, 01:25 AM
Whatever happened to the anti-Microsoft articles that papers used to write?

Man bites dog. MS sucking is not news, everyone knows that. Apple, on the other hand... Apple is just held to a higher standard for some reason.

And journalism isn't what it used to be. It's all about selling ad space, no matter what the medium. Facts have given way to bias and throwing together poorly phrased buzzwords with little to no actual factual checking or knowledge of subject matter. Especially when it comes to technology. It's almost as bad as politics. Of course, there are exceptions, but subscription and ad revenue seem to be the most important things, and even those articles with praise often fail in their duty to report and/or research.

The Reg, not exactly a bastion of journalistic integrity. ;)

mkrishnan
Dec 15, 2006, 07:02 AM
Ahhhh, continuing evidence of Apple's poor sales performance (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/16242944.htm). I think they should just close the company down now. :rolleyes: