PDA

View Full Version : When TVs hang on too long...

topgunn
Dec 14, 2006, 08:48 AM
So I have this 10 year old Zenith 32" TV that won't die and I have told myself that I won't get a new TV until it does. The picture quality has degraded a bit over the years but aside from that it still works just as well as the day I bought it. Each time I turn it on I cross my fingers and hope that today is the day.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation? If so, did you just give in and buy it or tough it out and wait? How long do CRT TV's typically last, anyway?

miloblithe
Dec 14, 2006, 09:01 AM
Mine is from the early 1990s and I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it (a 19" Sony...or maybe 23").

I don't watch that much TV. I mostly watch stuff on my computer or external monitor hooked up to a DVD player.

I'm hoping that by the time I want to replace my TV, roughly 30" 1080p TVs are like $400-500.

Swarmlord
Dec 14, 2006, 09:05 AM
Depending on your definition of "work", CRT TVs can last for a long time. I have a 10 year old Zenith that works almost as well as when it was new. However, it has started to hiss a bit when the picture shows a lot of bright white color. I guess when it gets too bad or to the point where it bothers me too much I'll replace it. The trouble is that the new TVs don't fit into the entertainment center that I use for that TV.

topgunn
Dec 14, 2006, 09:19 AM
My Zenith sort of retains color or probably light is more appropriate. For example, my daughter used to watch a kids show called "Bear in the Big Blue House" and at the end of every show Bear would talk to Luna (the moon) who was very big and a very bright white. After watching this show for a few weeks, I started to notice that there was a large discolored spot where luna always appeared. My daughter hasn't watched the show in more than a year and the spot is still there. We have two other similar spots which are a bit smaller but still rather annoying.

I hear people talk about refrigerators having parts that are designed to wear out after so many years. You think I can get one of these parts for my TV? Maybe I can hire some sort of electronic hitman to come and take care of my TV at some random time in the next year.

clayj
Dec 14, 2006, 09:30 AM
So I have this 10 year old Zenith 32" TV that won't die and I have told myself that I won't get a new TV until it does. The picture quality has degraded a bit over the years but aside from that it still works just as well as the day I bought it. Each time I turn it on I cross my fingers and hope that today is the day.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation? If so, did you just give in and buy it or tough it out and wait? How long do CRT TV's typically last, anyway?My Mom is still using a 20" Radio Shack tube TV which I originally bought for myself in 1988. Looks just as good now as the day I bought it. One reason for that may be that it has a Mitsubishi tube inside it, and they were known (they don't do tubes anymore, I believe) for outstanding build quality and endurance.

So don't hold your breath waiting for your Zenith to die. CRT TVs can last a LONG time if no random part fails.

atari1356
Dec 14, 2006, 09:46 AM
I have an old Philips/Magnavox piece of junk that no longer receives signals from a remote control. So, to change the channel I have to go up to the TV... not a big deal since I really only watch DVD's and not much network TV, but annoying nonetheless.

I'm waiting for HDTV's to come way down in price before I buy one.

leekohler
Dec 14, 2006, 09:49 AM
I had a 12 year old 32" Sony that would still be with me now if the movers hadn't accidentally ripped the top off it. :( It was as great as the day I bought it, but alas, I was forced to buy my first HDTV as a result. I got a 30" Philips that I love. :)

heehee
Dec 14, 2006, 09:59 AM
I have a 18 year old Toshiba TV that won't die and I won't buy a TV until it does. :D

Sdashiki
Dec 14, 2006, 09:59 AM
Its a CRT, other than perhaps the phosphor coating losing its "luster" it can be adjusted and calibrated back to "normal"

all those fiddly knobs you have:

tint, brightness, contrast, color, sharpness

have other knobs inside the TV itself. not always but usually.

youd need to know monitors or TVs or at least something about electrical components before doing anything yourself.

but, it can be re-adjusted further than the front knobs allow you to.

i think its changing the tolerances of what the front knobs MAX/MIN levels are....

Jschultz
Dec 14, 2006, 10:19 AM
My girlfriends parents have a zenith 32" in a wooden cabinet that they bought in 1991. Still going strong.

My girlfriend and I are still using her Sharp 19" tube tv from 1997 as our family room tv. She says we can't get a new LCD or anything till either hers or her parents' tv dies (since we'd get theirs if ours died)...:mad:

The sad thing is I work at Circuit City in the TV department, so you could understand my frustrations.

But yeah, tube TV's last FOREVER in most cases. My mom still has a CRT rear projection that is 12 years old. My dad had a Mitsubishi rear projection CRT that lasted 15.

MacBoobsPro
Dec 14, 2006, 10:23 AM
I remember when I was younger we had a Sony TV for about 10 years then one day while we were watching it, it literally went bang and had a giant (abeit gentle) flame flickering out of the back. It still worked but only while the flame was visible. If you blew it out the picture would fade and eventually disappear. Turn the TV back on and the flame would reignite.

TVs with built in candles are great. Maybe thats where the Ambi-light idea came from?

sushi
Dec 14, 2006, 10:27 AM
So I have this 10 year old Zenith 32" TV that won't die and I have told myself that I won't get a new TV until it does.
My Sony 19 in TV is still working. I purchased it in 1984. Been all over the world and still works.

I guess it will never die.

topgunn
Dec 14, 2006, 10:30 AM
So what you guys are saying is that by the time my TV actually dies I can replace it with a holodeck.

Moof1904
Dec 14, 2006, 10:32 AM
I have a 10 inch (?) color GE "portable" tv that was a high school graduation gift for a relative. It was purchased in 1982. Works fine.

miloblithe
Dec 14, 2006, 10:42 AM
I'm kind of amazed that we should be surprised that a TV lasts for 10-15 years. That should be a bare minumum standard.

sushi
Dec 14, 2006, 10:45 AM
So what you guys are saying is that by the time my TV actually dies I can replace it with a holodeck.
Beam me up Scotty! ;)

Well, actually the holodeck would be a bit longer since that was in Star Trek TNG.

MacBoobsPro
Dec 14, 2006, 10:48 AM
I'm kind of amazed that we should be surprised that a TV lasts for 10-15 years. That should be a bare minumum standard.

You have to think about the hammer TV sets get. They are on all day every day alot of the time. 10 years is very good i think. However I just dropped 1400 on a new plasma and if it doesnt last ten years I'll be pissed. :D

My hypocrisy knows no bounds :p

nbs2
Dec 14, 2006, 11:29 AM
My folks have an old Sanyo that they picked up election night 92. Our old TV died during the early returns, and within 45 min we had our new 32" TV. It's worked since and they are thinking about maybe possibly upgrading and giving us that one to replace our 13" No Brand from the mid 90s (which we won't replace until it dies).

So, yes - you will never have a new TV.

Jschultz
Dec 14, 2006, 11:36 AM
My folks have an old Sanyo that they picked up election night 92. Our old TV died during the early returns, and within 45 min we had our new 32" TV. It's worked since and they are thinking about maybe possibly upgrading and giving us that one to replace our 13" No Brand from the mid 90s (which we won't replace until it dies).

So, yes - you will never have a new TV.

We had an old sanyo that lasted forever too. damn.

So yeah, I give the OP's TV another 5 years lease on life.

Killyp
Dec 14, 2006, 12:05 PM
LOL It is quite funny reading through this list. I have a Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 600 from 1970, which is still in absolutely perfect working and cosmetic condition with all the original manuals and receipts. It's still one of the coolest looking TVs around:

http://beoworld.co.uk/products6/beovision600a.jpg

Mine's in white though, and as I said perfect cosmetic condition.

rdowns
Dec 14, 2006, 05:47 PM
I have a 13 year oold Toshiba 32" that works as well as it did day 1.

My mom has my first color TV, a 12" Panasonic from the early 80s. She keeps it in her laundry room. Has a rotary tuner and still works well.

OutThere
Dec 14, 2006, 06:27 PM
In my dorm room I have a 12" CRT TV made in 1982. It works fine but something is wrong with the cable connector so I can only get broadcast channels on it. :rolleyes: :p

sushi
Dec 14, 2006, 07:40 PM
LOL It is quite funny reading through this list. I have a Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 600 from 1970, which is still in absolutely perfect working and cosmetic condition with all the original manuals and receipts. It's still one of the coolest looking TVs around:
Very cool! :D

CanadaRAM
Dec 14, 2006, 07:51 PM
So I have this 10 year old Zenith 32" TV that won't die and I have told myself that I won't get a new TV until it does. The picture quality has degraded a bit over the years but aside from that it still works just as well as the day I bought it. Each time I turn it on I cross my fingers and hope that today is the day. One suggestion:

Hummer
Dec 14, 2006, 08:09 PM
My dad has this massive TV that ways like 3 tons or something in our living room that he wont just get rid of. It's something like 50 inches and it dies like every 3 months. Then it costs him a fortune to get it fixed. He's spent more money on that thing than it would cost to buy a decent sized LCD. It's older than me and I'm 16.

Clydefrog
Dec 14, 2006, 09:07 PM
i wish our sony would die, i want a samsung HDTV:(

clayj
Dec 14, 2006, 09:41 PM
i wish our sony would die, i want a samsung HDTV:(You need to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5k_BV8y-0).

thejadedmonkey
Dec 14, 2006, 09:47 PM
You need to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5k_BV8y-0).

That. is. horrible! I love it :)

Ok, my situation... I have a car. It's a '92 Saturn SL. The interior is falling apart, it leaks oil, the electrical system was re-done before I got it, the wheels are all bent so I can't go over 50pmh without the car vibrating, the trunk wouldn't close for the longest time (until I pounded it back into shape) and the air conditioning is busted, but it still runs, and not only does it run, but the gas mileage I get out of it is comparable to my friends '05 something or other.

How I want a new one, but dang my car still runs great.

Oh, and the microwave in my house was replaced after 12 years because my mom was worried it was decaying and going to start emitting radiation. The toaster was replaced because we were too lazy to clean it one day, and the VCR is still going strong after 20 years.

zflauaus
Dec 14, 2006, 09:51 PM
I swear, Zeniths are tanks. One of our family friends had a Zenith from maybe late 70s to the 80s and they finally got rid of it and replaced it with a Panasonic HD. Only problem, they have SD Dish Network Programming. :eek:

We had a Zenith probably from the late 80's/early 90's and it died maybe 4-5 years back. The picture started to go way off the screen and the colors were way screwed up. Then it finally died. So we got another Zenith in a cabinet. A good TV, if I say so myself.

iSaint
Dec 15, 2006, 06:21 AM
I just replaced a Sony 19" that I bought in 1986 with a 27" Sony Trinitron. I had actually bought a 27" Sony in the 90s that died after 7 years.

I gave the 19" to my mom. It still works fine!

SkyBell
Dec 15, 2006, 10:39 AM
I use an '84 Mitsubishi. The only flaw, is about one inch of the top part of the screen is "dead" (it only shows black.) I don't watch TV much though, so it's not a big deal.

mfacey
Dec 15, 2006, 11:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61)

This thread is pretty amusing! Note to the OP: however wasteful it may seem, if you really want a new tv then just get rid of the old one. Or shove it in a bedroom somewhere. Why wait if you're fed up with it? New toys are always lots of fun!

topgunn
Dec 15, 2006, 11:16 AM
One suggestion:

I was thinking that getting a Wii might work just as well.

"I don't know what happened. I went to serve and it slipped outta my hand."

dukebound85
Dec 15, 2006, 02:04 PM
i have a tv that my mom had when she was growing up. im 21 so this was probably mid 70's ish tv we are talking about. still works great except for the fact its hard to kook up video consoles to it as it doesnt have the audio vidoe plugs lol

dukebound85
Dec 15, 2006, 02:07 PM
That. is. horrible! I love it :)

Ok, my situation... I have a car. It's a '92 Saturn SL. The interior is falling apart, it leaks oil, the electrical system was re-done before I got it, the wheels are all bent so I can't go over 50pmh without the car vibrating, the trunk wouldn't close for the longest time (until I pounded it back into shape) and the air conditioning is busted, but it still runs, and not only does it run, but the gas mileage I get out of it is comparable to my friends '05 something or other.

How I want a new one, but dang my car still runs great.

Oh, and the microwave in my house was replaced after 12 years because my mom was worried it was decaying and going to start emitting radiation. The toaster was replaced because we were too lazy to clean it one day, and the VCR is still going strong after 20 years.

my car is 17 years old and still gets 30mpg regulary. no issues with it at all excpet for things that wear out like steering boots and stuff lol. couple thousand miles away from the big 100,000 mark

i love when stuff lasts forever

sushi
Dec 16, 2006, 09:03 AM
i love when stuff lasts forever
Yeah, you sort of get attached to things that way! ;)

Kalns
Dec 16, 2006, 09:26 AM
With regards to TV's, look at it this way, in 2008 (or is it 2009) when all broadcasts go digital you're going to need a converter box or a new TV. May as well get a new TV.

Motley
Dec 16, 2006, 10:35 AM
With regards to TV's, look at it this way, in 2008 (or is it 2009) when all broadcasts go digital you're going to need a converter box or a new TV. May as well get a new TV.

How many people get tv over the air today anyways? And for cable, they don't have to go digital and the new tv's need a box for digital cable anyway.

Clydefrog
Dec 16, 2006, 06:34 PM
You need to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5k_BV8y-0).

poor lamp:(

clayj
Dec 16, 2006, 06:40 PM
poor lamp:(Yeah, I guess I must be crazy, too, because I think that's one of the best ads I've ever seen. The way Spike Jonze shot that (especially the angling of the lamp's shade like a person would hang their head) is just sublime.

Don't wish death on your TV. Find someone who will appreciate it.

aquajet
Dec 16, 2006, 07:42 PM
My father still has his first TV, a Setchell Carlson, purchased sometime during the early 1960s. It's been in storage for eight years, but it still worked before it was banished to the basement.

Me? I have a 14" Toshiba flat CRT that I'm more than happy with. Many people have commented on the picture quality. I don't plan to buy another until it breaks. Who knows how long that will be...