PDA

View Full Version : MacHeist Raises $50,000 for Charity, NewsFire Added to Bundl...

MacBytes
Dec 14, 2006, 02:09 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: MacHeist Raises $50,000 for Charity, NewsFire Added to Bundle (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061214150912)
Description:: MacHeist has raised over $50,000 for various charities in just over 3 days! That means NewsFire is now unlocked for all bundle customers. (Bundle already includes Delicious Library, FotoMagico, ShapeShifter, Pangea game, iClip 4, Disco, RapidWeaver, and DEVONthink Personal for just $49.) Will the Mac community be able to raise $100,000 in time to unlock TextMate?

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Unorthodox
Dec 14, 2006, 02:31 PM
Yay! Half way to 100k and TextMate.

Macintosh Sauce
Dec 14, 2006, 02:38 PM
Mac indie developers need to spread the word a bit. This is a great way for their application(s) to get some much needed-attention. People, that are purchasing the bundles, are supporting some great causes as well. It's all about more people seeing your application(s).

Previously, I have purchased Disco and RapidWeaver. I have read about the other programs and have been interested in them. This $49 bundle just made it all too easy to order, and I actually placed an order this morning.

whenpaulsparks
Dec 14, 2006, 02:48 PM
great news, i might actually buy it now. (i've already given QUITE a lot of money to charity this year so far, so really i'm just in it for the software :-) ) but i'm kinda underwhelmed by textmate, it looks like Taco HTML or something. i don't understand why it's the $100,000 mark, i'd expect delicious library to be in that spot.

FelixGV
Dec 14, 2006, 03:18 PM
I think this should be posted on the MacRumors frontpage!

I know there's already an ad on the right side, but an actual news item would generate even more traffic.

It's such a great cause. Mac Shareware developpers are a very noble bunch... greatly responsible for the mac experience as a whole, actually.

And then there's even some charity thrown in! :p

tominated
Dec 14, 2006, 03:24 PM
awesome! i (well, my family) have also done a lot for charity this year. we raised a few thousand bucks for some cancer things (i had cancer). oh well, i am still getting the bundle!

bigandy
Dec 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
great news, i might actually buy it now. (i've already given QUITE a lot of money to charity this year so far, so really i'm just in it for the software :-) ) but i'm kinda underwhelmed by textmate, it looks like Taco HTML or something. i don't understand why it's the $100,000 mark, i'd expect delicious library to be in that spot.

it's only the best, most useful text editor ever written ;)

MDiddy
Dec 14, 2006, 07:25 PM
What up with the people of TextMate? They think they're app's too good to be included in the bundle unless 100K's reached? plus - you don't get the same user license as if you bought it outright?!!? So, you outta luck in a few months when 2.0 comes out - unless you want to buy an upgrade.

Bah, what half-hearted self serving crap is that. Either go big and noble like everyone else or go home.

Not very charitable.

Unorthodox
Dec 14, 2006, 07:32 PM
What up with the people of TextMate? They think they're app's too good to be included in the bundle unless 100K's reached? plus - you don't get the same user license as if you bought it outright?!!? So, you outta luck in a few months when 2.0 comes out - unless you want to buy an upgrade.

Bah, what half-hearted self serving crap is that. Either go big and noble like everyone else or go home.

Not very charitable.
You get the same exact license through MacHeist as you would through the developers site.
And that includes a free update to the Leopard only 2.0 version of TextMate.

It's funny, so many people want TextMate. I'm not sure they really understand what it does.
It's not like Delicious Library, anyone could use that app.

bayoutech
Dec 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
You get the same exact license through MacHeist as you would through the developers site.
And that includes a free update to the Leopard only 2.0 version of TextMate.

Exact same? Do you see something different here than the rest of us?

"...TextMate will be unlocked for all customers if $100,000 is raised for charities. As a customer, your serial number will be mailed once the quota is reached. Your TextMate license will be guaranteed free updates through version 1.x, and MacroMates will offer a steeply discounted upgrade path (of at least 60% off) to the upcoming, Leopard only version 2. (This license differs from a normally purchased $49 license, which includes a free 2.0 upgrade.)"

bousozoku
Dec 14, 2006, 11:33 PM

"...TextMate will be unlocked for all customers if $100,000 is raised for charities. As a customer, your serial number will be mailed once the quota is reached. Your TextMate license will be guaranteed free updates through version 1.x, and MacroMates will offer a steeply discounted upgrade path (of at least 60% off) to the upcoming, Leopard only version 2. (This license differs from a normally purchased $49 license, which includes a free 2.0 upgrade.)"

I'm not sure what he's seeing, either but it's a good deal, regardless.

FelixGV
Dec 15, 2006, 05:02 AM
TextMate seems pretty cool to me. Very useful for working with multiple files, such when developing web applications. I used to use Dreamweaver, but even on a Dual G5 it seems clunky.

Anyhow, I'm tired of deleting my preferences and re-downloading the damn thing every time the demo wears off, so I'll definitely get this bundle if it includes TextMate, which, at the rate it's going now, seems likely.

Arpan
Dec 15, 2006, 08:14 AM
TextMate seems pretty cool to me. Very useful for working with multiple files, such when developing web applications. I used to use Dreamweaver, but even on a Dual G5 it seems clunky.

Anyhow, I'm tired of deleting my preferences and re-downloading the damn thing every time the demo wears off, so I'll definitely get this bundle if it includes TextMate, which, at the rate it's going now, seems likely.

Textmate is a superb editor. The first time I used the trial, it looked like a simple text editor, just like all the other ones out there. But then later I had a look at some of the videos screencasts: http://macromates.com/screencasts

I think what is so impressive about Textmate is that it has a host of features, and the snippets, and extensibility mean that it can be used for almost anything.

At the same time, the very simple and elegant interface means that those features don't keep jumping in the middle and distracting you from your work until you need them.

Take a look at this vides:
http://macromates.com/screencast/insert_html_tags.mov
http://macromates.com/screencast/scopes_and_comments.mov

This will give you a good idea of what Textmate is capable of.

Unorthodox
Dec 15, 2006, 09:21 AM

Oh. My fault.
Well, all of the other apps have the same licenses.