PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Announces Photoshop CS3 Beta

MacRumors
Dec 14, 2006, 04:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

True to rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061212222116.shtml), Adobe has announced a Photoshop CS3 Beta program (http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200612/121406Photoshop.html) available to customers with a serial number from either Adobe Photoshop CS2, Adobe Creative Suite® 2, Adobe Creative Suite Production Studio, Adobe Design Bundle, Adobe Web Bundle or Adobe Video Bundle.

Packed with new features, Photoshop CS3 beta also includes a pre-release version of a major upgrade to Adobe Bridge, as well as a preview release of the all-new Adobe Device Central. Photoshop customers can use Adobe Device Central to design, preview, and test compelling mobile content, created specifically for smaller screens. This new tool, integrated in the Photoshop CS3 beta, simplifies and accelerates the creation of mobile content through a preview environment and built-in device profiles.

"This is an exciting time for the Mac, and Adobe wanted to ease the move to new Intel-based systems with a preview release of Photoshop CS3," said John Loiacono, senior vice president of Creative Solutions Business Unit at Adobe.

The beta version will be available Friday morning from the Adobe Labs website (http://www.adobe.com/cgi-bin/redirect?http://labs.adobe.com). The Mac version is a Universal Binary, and system requirements call for a 1+ GHz G4 or G5 or any Intel-based Mac with 512MB of RAM. A Windows version is also available.

Adobe says the beta will expire soon after the formal release of Photoshop in Spring 2007. Final pricing is yet to be determined, however Photoshop CS2 currently is offered at $649 (full version, $169 upgrade).

Cinematographer
Dec 14, 2006, 04:23 PM
Great. And this is going to boost MacPro sales of course.

amac4me
Dec 14, 2006, 04:27 PM
Sweet .... looking forward to the benchmark results.

I expect Mac sales to rev up as most Photoshop users have held out on purchasing an Intel Mac until a Universal Binary was released.

fivetoadsloth
Dec 14, 2006, 04:33 PM
oooh!
I cant wait, im dieing with photoshop on my macbook...

LostPacket
Dec 14, 2006, 04:36 PM
By "mobile content" do they mean cell phones and such? Are there that many "mobile designers" out there to justify a whole new feature module based on this?

freeny
Dec 14, 2006, 04:39 PM
looking forward to being a guinea pig.....:)

The Adobe site should crash sometime around 10:30am Eastern time.....

jimsowden
Dec 14, 2006, 04:39 PM
I cannot wait to see how this preforms. It's ingrained in by being that Phothsop is now an ass slow program on my MacBook Pro, load times are getting up to a minute on some larger one page files.

kainjow
Dec 14, 2006, 04:41 PM
Check this out:

A Quick Look at the New Features in Photoshop CS3, Public Beta Preview (http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/sk_features.html)

Screenshots included :)

codo
Dec 14, 2006, 04:42 PM
Oh my! Thought this day would never come. So overwhelmed.

SiliconAddict
Dec 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
Let the benchmark results commence.

Bern
Dec 14, 2006, 04:48 PM
Damn and I only have Illustrator CS2, I sold my copy of CS2 suite

Doctor Q
Dec 14, 2006, 04:48 PM
What exactly does the "Quick Select" tool let you do?

By the way, Adobe's page saysWithout a serial number, users can still download Adobe Photoshop CS3 beta, with the product expiring after two days.

Creative Mac
Dec 14, 2006, 04:54 PM
im looking forward to the mobile side of cs3 i build mobile games for java handset and this should make my life easier..............

bousozoku
Dec 14, 2006, 04:58 PM
Nice to see that they're getting somewhere but it doesn't sound like the speed increases they should have seen. I'd think, had they done it right, they'd be seeing more than 100 % increases, considering multiple processors and new efficiencies, but something is better than nothing.

Though still a beta, Photoshop CS3 features substantial speed gains for Intel Macs, according to Adobe’s Nack.

“I upgraded to a MacBook Pro and Photoshop just screams on that,” Nack said. “We are seeing an 40 percent increase in speed in addition to the 30 percent speed increase in what Rosetta was able to do with the 10.4.8 update.”

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/12/14/photoshopbeta/index.php

nagromme
Dec 14, 2006, 05:03 PM
I really HOPE Adobe allows older (pre-CS2) versions of Photoshop to upgrade for less than full retail price.

Whatever was considered the oldest upgradable Photoshop at the time of Apple's Intel announcement should STILL be considered upgradable--since it only makes sense to have stopped upgrading at that time.

For instance, I was using PS7 still when Apple's Intel news came. I do every other upgrade, so I skipped PS8 (aka CS) and was ready to buy PS9 (aka CS2). But with the Intel news, I held off, waiting for PS10 (aka CS3).

Hopefully, even though I skipped TWO versions, my PS7 will still qualify for upgrade pricing next year. Seems only fair, since buying CS or CS2 for my Intel Mac would have been a waste. (I can understand paying a higher upgrade price than a CS2 user though.)

mduser63
Dec 14, 2006, 05:06 PM
I really HOPE Adobe allows older (pre-CS2) versions of Photoshop to upgrade for less than full retail price.

Whatever was considered the oldest upgradable Photoshop at the time of Apple's Intel announcement should STILL be considered upgradable--since it only makes sense to have stopped upgrading at that time.

For instance, I was using PS7 still when Apple's Intel news came. I do every other upgrade, so I skipped PS8 (aka CS) and was ready to buy PS9 (aka CS2). But with the Intel news, I held off, waiting for PS10 (aka CS3).

Hopefully, even though I skipped TWO versions, my PS7 will still qualify for upgrade pricing next year. Seems only fair, since buying CS or CS2 for my Intel Mac would have been a waste. (I can understand paying a higher upgrade price than a CS2 user though.)

I wonder what the upgrade options for educational versions will be. Apple was really good about that with the Universal version of FCS. Anyway, I'll still be a student when CS3 comes out (I think) so I should be able to get it at a steep discount anyway...

shigzeo
Dec 14, 2006, 05:06 PM
im waiting... there is usually a negative argument... damn, we sucks

Creative Mac
Dec 14, 2006, 05:11 PM
well being a uk bod i just checked the time difference it should be available for us lot on this side of the pond around 8ish onwards tomorrow...typical when im ramed in a london tube you lot will be hammering adobe's site..lol

Pressure
Dec 14, 2006, 05:11 PM
I look forward to trying it :)

Although it is a beta...

kainjow
Dec 14, 2006, 05:13 PM
im waiting... there is usually a negative argument... damn, we sucks

I don't think there is anything negative about this. Yes, it will cost money, but everyone knows that. The educational version of Photoshop now is $288, so I'm sure it'll be the same for CS3. I'll just be looking forward to having it run natively.

ChrisA
Dec 14, 2006, 05:17 PM
Quoted from Adobe's announcement.

Without a serial number, users can still download Adobe Photoshop CS3 beta, with the product expiring after two days.

It seems you do NOT have to be a registed CS2 user to try this out

Creative Mac
Dec 14, 2006, 05:21 PM
ok so you get 2 days, not exactly enough, but yes to make a point you dont need cs2 to download, whats the betting adobe gets spammed with loads of fake serial numbers....lol rev up those serial number generators..lol ****** Disclaimer***********
not that i agree with that sort of thing as i own a real copy...he he :D

SiliconAddict
Dec 14, 2006, 05:24 PM
Nice to see that they're getting somewhere but it doesn't sound like the speed increases they should have seen. I'd think, had they done it right, they'd be seeing more than 100 % increases, considering multiple processors and new efficiencies, but something is better than nothing.

:rolleyes: gah. Where to start. First off its a beta. Anyone care to guess how much debug code is probably still in this thing? Secondly 40% on a LAPTOP is nothing to sneeze at. Can you imagine what a desktop is going to be able to do? Third even Apple had issue out of the gate with the Intel transition. If people think Adobe is having a better transition then Apple I would say think again. My guess is that performance is going to increase over the next few patches....once it actually ships that is.

People really need to keep things in perspective.

Bibulous
Dec 14, 2006, 05:24 PM
system requirements call for a 1+ GHz G4 or G5 ...

WTH Adobe? But I'll download it anyways...

ChrisA
Dec 14, 2006, 05:25 PM

Asobe's current policy is to allow you to upgrade to the current version from ANY previous version. The price does not go up if you skip a version. Currently the upgrade price on the Adobe on-line store is $169. (Photoshop, not the bundle) They say that if you have a very old copy of Photoshop that you need to call because the serial number system has changed since version 3 (I think it is 3 but maybe 2) I checked. I have a old floppy disk version of PS that ran on an M68000 based Mac (a IIci, I think) this machine was just recently retied to the city's re-cycle plant. But I will upgrade to PS CS3 the day it is released.

SiliconAddict
Dec 14, 2006, 05:32 PM
Asobe's current policy

Did Adobe buy out Sobe (http://www.sobebev.com)?

Sorry I had no choice.... :D

Spock
Dec 14, 2006, 05:37 PM
Well with Photoshop going intel I wonder how long it will take for the resale value of the G4+G5 to go down??

R.Youden
Dec 14, 2006, 05:40 PM
Well with Photoshop going intel I wonder how long it will take for the resale value of the G4+G5 to go down??

It already has! I tried to sell a PowerMac G4 and got 33% less than an identical model sold for before the Mac Pro came out.

jholzner
Dec 14, 2006, 05:46 PM

Well, it's a UB so it's not like it won't runon PPC chips.

boombashi
Dec 14, 2006, 05:49 PM
Asobe's current policy is to allow you to upgrade to the current version from ANY previous version.

Current policy yes, I just hope they don't change it for the new version. I would really like to see some upgrade prices, and free upgrades to those that purchase or decide to upgrade to CS2 right now. I have a copy of PS 6 that I would update right now to CS2 so I could download CS3 beta, if I knew I would get a free upgrade to CS3 when it comes out. I have an Intel Mac so I have been waiting to upgrade.

pimentoLoaf
Dec 14, 2006, 05:52 PM
I will certainly be a CS3 customer: Photoshop 7 is getting a bit long in the tooth (bought it in 2002 for an iBook; I now use it on a powerBook).

Have found no reason yet to upgrade GoLive 6 -- still more powerful than anything yet developed for website creation (though iWeb is far easier to use).

p0intblank
Dec 14, 2006, 05:54 PM
This is great news, but let's focus on the number one new feature that will change the way most of us use Photoshop... Smart Filters! This is a feature that I've been wanting for a while now. Think of it as an Adjustment Layer combined with Filter commands. Genius, Adobe! Genius! :D

nagromme
Dec 14, 2006, 06:05 PM
Asobe's current policy is to allow you to upgrade to the current version from ANY previous version. The price does not go up if you skip a version. Currently the upgrade price on the Adobe on-line store is $169. (Photoshop, not the bundle) They say that if you have a very old copy of Photoshop that you need to call because the serial number system has changed since version 3 (I think it is 3 but maybe 2) I checked. I have a old floppy disk version of PS that ran on an M68000 based Mac (a IIci, I think) this machine was just recently retied to the city's re-cycle plant. But I will upgrade to PS CS3 the day it is released.

Nice! :) I'm glad they didn't inherit some of Macromedia's habits :)

Creative Mac
Dec 14, 2006, 06:07 PM
i dont want to start a bitching war here but did someone just say golive 6 is a powerful website creation tool?!?!?! how about homesite or dreamweaver, last i looked ajax and database intergration in golive 6 were no show and its take on html code is a disaster you would be better of with notepad... dont get me wrong i love adobe's image ready its great for sliceing and made fireworks look like a slightly better version of paint and yes dreamweaver does have some mad little things in it....but come on golive 6 or dreamweaver 8, i know 80 percent of the web designer i work with would go with dreamweaver and the other 20 would use eclipse or visual basic dot net, but they would still use dreamweaver at somepoint

p0intblank
Dec 14, 2006, 06:07 PM
Notice the Palettes? The close button (which is now an X) is located on the top-right, rather than top-left. Interesting... I wonder if we'll be able to change that. I know you can change your Toolbar back to the classic two-column view, but the newer one may actually be better since you can fit more images on-screen.

Kingsly
Dec 14, 2006, 06:09 PM
Frackity frack frack frack!!! :mad:

My CS2 serial # was lost when I returned my MBP to Apple in exchange for a C2D... :mad: :mad: :o

(For the record, it was a legit corperate serial#)

boombashi
Dec 14, 2006, 06:13 PM
Frackity frack frack frack!!! :mad:

My CS2 serial # was lost when I returned my MBP to Apple in exchange for a C2D... :mad: :mad: :o

(For the record, it was a legit corperate serial#)

If it was registered, you should have no problems retrieving that info. contact adobe. If you spent 1300 on software and never registered it, then you are probably SOL.

Kingsly
Dec 14, 2006, 06:20 PM
If it was registered, you should have no problems retrieving that info. contact adobe. If you spent 1300 on software and never registered it, then you are probably SOL.

Thing is it wasn't registered in my name. It was a corperate # (volume licence), thus belonging to said corperation and not me... :o

bousozoku
Dec 14, 2006, 06:33 PM
:rolleyes: gah. Where to start. First off its a beta. Anyone care to guess how much debug code is probably still in this thing? Secondly 40% on a LAPTOP is nothing to sneeze at. Can you imagine what a desktop is going to be able to do? Third even Apple had issue out of the gate with the Intel transition. If people think Adobe is having a better transition then Apple I would say think again. My guess is that performance is going to increase over the next few patches....once it actually ships that is.

People really need to keep things in perspective.

People have kept things in perspective.

Adobe have had over 5 years to make their products fully Mac OS X compatible, which would have accelerated their move to the Intel-based machines. They chose to drag their feet. Their products still don't run well on PowerPC machines using Mac OS X.

Hopefully, the CS3 products will work well after everything is done but they've had plenty of opportunities to fix their mess.

ChrisA
Dec 14, 2006, 06:33 PM

Not long. Fry's Electronics here in So Cal sold their quad G5 Power Mac their floor demo for $1,500. I notice Mega Mac (on-line store) has the G5 power mac for under $900 now.

iMikeT
Dec 14, 2006, 06:42 PM
GHA! At least a 1ghz G4???? This is going to kill my Mac.

I guess it's time for me to pick up that 24" iMac...

rhedpixel
Dec 14, 2006, 06:47 PM
I have two episodes up and will try to finish a couple more tonight....

Feel free to have a look-see and get ready for CS3 tomorrow.

-Rich Harrington :)

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=208580926

rhedpixel
Dec 14, 2006, 06:54 PM
GHA! At least a 1ghz G4???? This is going to kill my Mac.

I guess it's time for me to pick up that 24" iMac...

Launch time on that machine is less than 10 seconds.... OH YEAH! :)

japanime
Dec 14, 2006, 07:03 PM
Have found no reason yet to upgrade GoLive 6 -- still more powerful than anything yet developed for website creation (though iWeb is far easier to use).

I totally agree. And, unlike the CS2 apps, GoLive 6 remains stable and relatively fast on my MacBook. I've tried the Universal Binary alternatives (iWeb, Freeway), and neither was to my liking.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Photoshop beta, though. (The way Photoshop CS2 runs on my MacBook, it might was well be a beta!)

bigbossbmb
Dec 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
ok...who thinks they looked at aperture when designing the UI for the new Bridge? not complaining as I love the dark color scheme.

I won't get the beta...but I look forward to buying CS3 at the employee discount price :D ...very reasonable

gugy
Dec 14, 2006, 07:12 PM
excellent!
Now it's just wait for the Mac Pro octo-core to say bye-bye to my PM Quad G5.:D

melchior
Dec 14, 2006, 07:18 PM
I just want to know if plug-ins are still going to work? or are we going to be praying to the gods for the plug-in manufacturers, who are notoriously slow in releasing updates for them to deem us worthy?

*sigh*

dornoforpyros
Dec 14, 2006, 07:21 PM
Ahh yes, I can't wait for tomorrow morning when all the MacWhiners members show up. It'll be a grand show I'm sure! :D

Although I am looking forward to seeing the benchmarks and trying it for myself on my MBP.

aafuss1
Dec 14, 2006, 07:22 PM
I like the way that Adobe has implemented non-destructive filters in CS3.

I bet Imageready is still included-or in Creative Suite CS3 replaced by Fireworks.

And the Bridge UI has a bit of a Photoshop Lightroom style color scheme to it.

ely
Dec 14, 2006, 07:35 PM
It's already been uploaded to the download server , I believe. Mac filename is adobephotoshop_10_12-14-06.dmg at around 685MB. Windows filename is adobephotoshop_10_12-14-06.exe at around 337MB. Don't know if there'll be a new build tomorrow. Otherwise, if you want a headstart and want to beat the rush, start downloading now.

Haven't tried applying for my CS3 beta serial yet, though.

Lucky8
Dec 14, 2006, 07:41 PM
Anyone has a link to dl this CS3 Beta version?

maverick808
Dec 14, 2006, 07:58 PM
It's already been uploaded to the download server , I believe. Mac filename is adobephotoshop_10_12-14-06.dmg at around 685MB. Windows filename is adobephotoshop_10_12-14-06.exe at around 337MB. Don't know if there'll be a new build tomorrow. Otherwise, if you want a headstart and want to beat the rush, start downloading now.

Haven't tried applying for my CS3 beta serial yet, though.

Huh? What download server?

ely
Dec 14, 2006, 08:06 PM
I think it came from the trials.adobe.com server(s) when I downloaded it. The link to it was from the Adobe labs pages though.

Windows version, Photoshop CS3 Standard

Version 10.0x20061208 [20061208.beta.1251 02:00:00 cutoff; m branch] BETA

maverick808
Dec 14, 2006, 08:09 PM
I think it came from the trials.adobe.com server(s) when I downloaded it. The link to it was from the Adobe labs pages though.

Photoshop CS3 Standard

Version 10.0x20061208 [20061208.beta.1251 02:00:00 cutoff; m branch] BETA

Can you give the url of the page it's on, or a direct link, as I can't see it anywhere?

Multimedia
Dec 14, 2006, 08:16 PM
I think it's pitiful that Adobe has chosen to shut out CS1 owners from access to this beta. :mad: :(

wmmk
Dec 14, 2006, 08:20 PM
Check this out:

A Quick Look at the New Features in Photoshop CS3, Public Beta Preview (http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/sk_features.html)

Screenshots included :)

dangggggg!
the new bridge is nice! I was thinking about bibble, but this may save me that. also, will PS CS3 include bridge and lightroom, or will bridge 2.0=lightroom? thanks:)

chubad
Dec 14, 2006, 08:28 PM
If you want to get a headstart on training and new features NAPP already has training videos up. It looks great except for Bridge. They did some major copying of features from Aperture. Not nearly as well implemented however. (Loop tool, stacks etc.)

http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/index.html

AHDuke99
Dec 14, 2006, 08:34 PM
i want the download link to start early!

ely
Dec 14, 2006, 09:04 PM
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5Fphotoshop

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_photoshop

(basically, the SoundBooth link, but with "photoshop" instead of "soundbooth")

maverick808
Dec 14, 2006, 09:12 PM

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_photoshop

(basically, the SoundBooth link, but with "photoshop" instead of "soundbooth")

It works. Amazing! Much thanks :) :) :)

RichP
Dec 14, 2006, 09:26 PM
3 hours to go..darn DSL!

Maxwell Smart
Dec 14, 2006, 09:31 PM
WOW that was fast, download finished already :D

ely
Dec 14, 2006, 09:34 PM
Guess I was fortunate, was fluctuating between 2-5 MB/s. Under 3 minutes to grab the smaller Windows version earlier. The install itself took much longer than that, though.

Maxwell Smart
Dec 14, 2006, 09:37 PM
Installing now, just so everyone knows, it doesn't require the serial during install (at least on OS X), so it will probably require it on first run. The install seems to be going pretty speedily on my macbook 2ghz.

melchior
Dec 14, 2006, 09:38 PM
Guess I was fortunate, was fluctuating between 2-5 MB/s. Under 3 minutes to grab the smaller Windows version earlier. The install itself took much longer than that, though.

Hmmmm, why is it I can download from bittorrent at 2MB/sec easy, but akamai gives me a measly 135KB/s

the fact that i'm in australia shouldn't matter unless I'm routed to akamai in Australia which happens to be on dial-up on top of uluru?

grrrr....

Maxwell Smart
Dec 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
More info, the installer does in fact require it upon first starting the app. Also, you can use it free for 30 days! Again, the install was VERY speedy on my macbook considering the size of the program. Have fun!

ely
Dec 14, 2006, 09:46 PM
It starts by saying 30-day trial. But if you shut it down and restart it, it'll tell you that you have 2 days left without a serial.

Bleah, after entering the serial, it tells you that you have 2 days to activate. Mine seemed to activate successfully. Then you get the registration request.

Activation... I forgot that Adobe would be implementing Adobe License Manager for future Windows products.

AppliedVisual
Dec 14, 2006, 09:52 PM
It already has! I tried to sell a PowerMac G4 and got 33% less than an identical model sold for before the Mac Pro came out.

G4 desktop resale prices have been in the toilet for some time, and dropping sharply again with the Mac Pro release. G4 laptop prices have held, but took a plunge with the C2D Macbook [Pro] updates - especially since the 15" MBP now has FW800 and a DL burner. G5 desktops have been holding, but with Adobe apps being just about the last major commercial software to go universal and with the prices of FB-DIMM modules falling, I think within the next few months dual and quad G5 system values will fall to half or less than what they are now. Once the 8-core Mac Pro arrives (think anytime from MWSF thru NAB), that will be the end for the G5 systems.

I've got two G5 quad systems myself and actually thought about selling one or both of them just recently before the resale started to really plummet. But even two months ago, looking at the resale values then and FB-DIMM prices (even after-market), I would be spending way too much money to upgrade these systems to Mac Pro boxes given that I'd only get about a 20%-30% bump if I bought a 3GHz Mac Pro. ...So, I'll wait for the 8-core Mac Pro systems to arrive and will reconsider then. I'm expecting 2.6GHz 8-core to debut at the current 3GHz 4-core price and we'll see cheaper RAM prices with a couple new video options.

Maxwell Smart
Dec 14, 2006, 09:53 PM
It starts by saying 30-day trial. But if you shut it down and restart it, it'll tell you that you have 2 days left without a serial.

Bleah, after entering the serial, it tells you that you have 2 days to activate. Mine seemed to activate successfully. Then you get the registration request.

Activation... I forgot that Adobe would be implementing Adobe License Manager for future Windows products.

Yeah I know, I just found that out :(. Also, it says that plugins aren't loaded upon bootup, but when checking I found out that they are specific to the PPC builds, so i just told it to not show me that any more. Also, informal testing:

CS3 startup time: 3 seconds
CS startup time: 11+ seconds

:D

AppliedVisual
Dec 14, 2006, 09:56 PM
I think it's pitiful that Adobe has chosen to shut out CS1 owners from access to this beta. :mad: :(

I thought this was a bit strange. But since this is a "beta" and not an actual trial of the final product, perhaps this is Adobe's way of controlling some of the volume.

AppliedVisual
Dec 14, 2006, 10:04 PM
OK, my download finished and I'm running it on my G5 quad. Looks like not too many people have discovered the link yet. I was getting over 1.5MB (yes, megaBYTES, not megabits) download speed - took just a bit under 8 minutes. :D

It seems like it may be loading a bit faster than CS2, but it's not the 3 sec. startup someone else reported -- although I think they said it didn't load any plugins.

I kinda like the interface changes, but will actually have to use them to say more. Looks promising.

I'll install it on my MBP shortly and see what it does there.

Karpfish
Dec 14, 2006, 10:06 PM
sweet i just started downloading it on my mac pro itll be loid when im trying to go to sleep if it takes a while but its better than getting a slow server in the morning

Maxwell Smart
Dec 14, 2006, 10:10 PM
OK, my download finished and I'm running it on my G5 quad. Looks like not too many people have discovered the link yet. I was getting over 1.5MB (yes, megaBYTES, not megabits) download speed - took just a bit under 8 minutes. :D

It seems like it may be loading a bit faster than CS2, but it's not the 3 sec. startup someone else reported -- although I think they said it didn't load any plugins.

I kinda like the interface changes, but will actually have to use them to say more. Looks promising.

I'll install it on my MBP shortly and see what it does there.

No, it loads all the plugins and everything, i just disabled the dialog which complains that 4 PPC related plugins were not enabled (obviously haha). This is on a 2Ghz macbook, so I'd expect results would vary, especially considering you are on a PPC machine.

melchior
Dec 14, 2006, 10:22 PM
No, it loads all the plugins and everything, i just disabled the dialog which complains that 4 PPC related plugins were not enabled (obviously haha). This is on a 2Ghz macbook, so I'd expect results would vary, especially considering you are on a PPC machine.

what plug-ins do you have that are not PPC? :confused:

p0intblank
Dec 14, 2006, 10:27 PM
Downloading it now... I'm going to be up a little late tonight. :D

puckhead193
Dec 14, 2006, 10:29 PM
how bad is photoshop now on intel... i was thinking of getting CS 2 for my imac

edit - this sucks that you have to have CS 2...:( dam elements ;)

kainjow
Dec 14, 2006, 10:39 PM
Someone should put it on bittorrent so the rest of us can get good speeds :)

AppliedVisual
Dec 14, 2006, 10:51 PM

OK, I've put it on my Macbook Pro... Same thing.. Doesn't load any of my PPC plugins (no surprise there) -- this could prove to be a real issue though as CS2 loads them just fine and some of my plugins may not ever be updated for Intel or at least not anytime soon.

My system is the 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM 15", 160GB HDD. Load time is easily twice as fast as CS2 on this system, but I have quite a few fonts to chew through so I'm still not getting anything close to 3 seconds. :p ...More like 6 seconds vs. 12 to 15 for CS2. :D

Still haven't really tried to do anything with it just yet. Did have one weird thing happen though that might be a bug... The installer crashed on me (I think). It just quit unexpectedly when it was supposed to actually start installing - it just disappeared as if I hit the cancel button, but I didn't . No errors or OSX messages or nothing, just *poof*, gone. I ran it again and it worked. Weird.

...Can't say that I care for the new icon / logo - is this really what it's going to look like? It's so Microsoft Win2K-esque and, well.. Oh well, less is more -- eh?

AppliedVisual
Dec 14, 2006, 10:58 PM
Someone should put it on bittorrent so the rest of us can get good speeds :)

What speeds are you looking for? The Adobe server isn't being stressed out yet and I pulled it in at 1584KB/sec and it took a bit less than 8 minutes to download... I wasn't maxed out as I can do about 1900KB/sec (16Mbps connection), but that's one of the faster downloads I've had lately. If you're not getting good rates, chances are there's a routing issue with your ISP. A good torrent may help get around that, but get it now before everyone in the world slams the Adobe server tomorrow. :) ...I'm sure we'll see torrents tomorrow, but why wait. Oh, and if you have CS2, don't forget to generate your CS3 beta key when you stop by to download. ;)

chibianh
Dec 14, 2006, 11:24 PM
Did the retouchartists.com test on my Mac Pro 2.66 w/3GB of RAM. Ran the test back to back with Mail, Itunes, bittorrent, and iChat open. Default settings in Photoshop CS2 and CS3.

CS2 - 2:45
CS3 - 2:24

I will go ahead and redo them after fresh reboots and post results.

EDIT: Results after fresh reboots.

CS2 - 1:57
CS3 - 1:28

This is all still with the default settings (20 history states and 70% memory). I guess Rosetta has been doing one hell of a job translating all this time. :P

mduser63
Dec 14, 2006, 11:38 PM
:( The page where you get your CS3 Beta serial number isn't taking my CS2 serial number. I've tried putting it in with and without hyphens, have tried typing it in as well as copying and pasting from both the Photoshop System Info window and the registrations page on my Adobe account page, but it just tells me my serial number is ineligible for the CS3 beta. Anybody else getting this?

EDIT: Worth noting that I have an educational license. According to the article (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/public_beta_of_photoshop_cs3_to_be_available_dec_15/) linked on MacBytes, an educational serial number should be valid.

AppleIntelRock
Dec 14, 2006, 11:39 PM
FINALLY! I'm very please right now. :D

Radam
Dec 14, 2006, 11:43 PM
I just ran the radial blur test of the huge picture of the horse and i got

40.7 secs in CS3
normally a 66.6-67 in CS2

plus is runs like butter

MBP 2.0GHZ CD
2 gigs of ram

Woot im excited.

KeareB
Dec 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
I have a valid Educational CS2 serial# but the CS3 beta website says:

Sorry, but the serial number you entered is not eligible for the Photoshop CS3 Beta download.

... are the students among us SOL for the beta?

mduser63
Dec 14, 2006, 11:48 PM
I have a valid Educational CS2 serial# but the CS3 beta website says:

Sorry, but the serial number you entered is not eligible for the Photoshop CS3 Beta download.

... are the students among us SOL for the beta?

See my post 3 posts up. I should have mentioned that I have an educational license as well. I read somewhere earlier today that educational licenses are specifically included in eligibility for the beta, so I'm wondering if maybe it's just a glitch in the system. Afterall, it's not supposed to be live until tomorrow.

EDIT: This is from the article (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/public_beta_of_photoshop_cs3_to_be_available_dec_15/) linked on MacBytes:

"The Photoshop CS3 beta is available in English only but to Photoshop CS2 users worldwide. It’s available to licensed users of either the Photoshop CS2 (full, upgrade, and education), Adobe Creative Suite 2.x Standard or Premium (full, upgrade, and education), Adobe Production Studio Standard and Premium (full, upgrade, and education), Adobe Video Bundle (full, upgrade, and education) or Adobe Web Bundle (full, upgrade, and education). You’ll need to provide your Photoshop CS2, Creative Suite, Production Studio or Bundle serial number in order to get a Photoshop CS3 beta serial number, enabling you to activate the Photoshop beta and use it beyond the two-day grace period."

kainjow
Dec 14, 2006, 11:51 PM
The installer is named "Setup", which is non Mac like at all (should be called "Installer" or similar). But it's a Cocoa program, so it balances out :D

KindredMAC
Dec 15, 2006, 12:01 AM
Holy ********** Cow, CS3 is going to be the best yet when the final version comes out in a number of months!

I installed it on both of my systems at home, for a VERY good reason....
I wanted to see how the Intel Macs would stand up against the PPC Power Mac G5 Dual Core!!!!!

In the Silver corner:
PowerMac G5 2.0 Dual Core
3GB RAM
12GB Scratch Disk

In the White corner:
MacBook 1.83 Dual Core
512MB RAM
12GB Scratch Disk

In order to try and even out the tests I put both versions of Photoshop to use the scratch disks described above and only 340MB RAM.

Everyday Test #1-Start Up (clicking the icon in the dock and stopping when all palettes are up on the screen)
PowerMac G5=3 seconds (Bounces in Dock=3)
MacBook=3 seconds (Bounces in Dock=3)

On 2 occassions the MacBook would launch PS a hair faster...

I ran this test 5 times.

Everyday test #2-Applying 2 Smart Filters to an 8MB JPEG Image.
I can't give a time reference for this but I can say that after I applied the same 2 filters to the image the PowerMac was acting a little bit more responsive when I went to save the file.

I will play more tomorrow night when I get home from work, but I can't wait to bring my MacBook into my art dept tomorrow and show all the other artists what PS CS3 can do! I'm blown away by the non destructive filter layers..... I applied a Lens Lfare and then could change the layer property of that filter alone......WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAVO ADOBE!!!!! I can't wait now until CS3 comes out in full force next year!!!! This was an ingenious thing to do. You guys just created wonderful buzz for your products in a very simple manner. Just wonderful!

I can't wait to see someone take a MacPro 2.66 Quad and a PowerMac 2.5 Quad and run the identical test images and actions. Are you listening MacWorld????? I bet you guys are already doing that right now at 1am EST!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

Can you imagine what an Octa MacPro could possibly do if Adobe has written PS to utilize 8 cores?

As for this Universal Binary, wow....just f'in WOW!

Chris Grande
Dec 15, 2006, 12:07 AM
The installer is named "Setup", which is non Mac like at all (should be called "Installer" or similar). But it's a Cocoa program, so it balances out :D

And all the window controls (close,etc) on all the palettes are on the right side. :confused:

Aniej
Dec 15, 2006, 12:13 AM
just nabbed it, let the games begin.

CTYankee
Dec 15, 2006, 12:37 AM
hmmm, no go on my dual 867 G4. Anyone get it to install on a G4? I see it says 1ghz or faster, but the installer passes the system check and I get 'component install failed'.

japanime
Dec 15, 2006, 02:08 AM
Christmas has arrived 10 days early.

Thank you, Adobe!

koobcamuk
Dec 15, 2006, 02:12 AM
Christmas has arrived 10 days early.

Thank you, Adobe!

Wow...10 days away... argh!

It didn't arrive early for students. Such a shame I can't use it as the MacBook's pretty slow with CS2 to be honest.

Unless someone gives me a CS3 serial. Just joking.

japanime
Dec 15, 2006, 03:12 AM
So, on my MacBook C2D with maximum RAM, Photoshop CS2 would take anywhere from 25-35 seconds to launch. It would also crash all the time--at least a dozen times a day. That meant a dozen re-launches a day, or about 6 minutes in wasted time.

I just launched Photoshop CS3 for the second time. Four seconds flat.

AMEN!

R.Youden
Dec 15, 2006, 03:20 AM
Sorry if I am asking a REALLY stupid question here but what is happening about InDesgin? I have used Photoshop a bit and I do need to learn more and get into it more but I do like to use InDesign as much as possible, anyone heard anything about it becoming a UB?

Darkroom
Dec 15, 2006, 04:05 AM
among all the other new features, i'm impressed with photoshop's new UI... seems it could be a slight preview of what we might expect from Mac OS X 10.5's new UI (quick fade in/out when application is activated/deactivated... just like Vista *gasp* :o )...

Multimedia
Dec 15, 2006, 04:18 AM
among all the other new features, i'm impressed with photoshop's new UI... seems it could be a slight preview of what we might expect from Mac OS X 10.5's new UI (quick fade in/out when application is activated/deactivated... just like Vista *gasp* :o )...You mean it auto-hides when you go to another app? That would be a killer new system feature wouldn't it? Needing to "Hide Others" all the time is a real time waster.

Multimedia
Dec 15, 2006, 04:21 AM
Sorry if I am asking a REALLY stupid question here but what is happening about InDesgin? I have used Photoshop a bit and I do need to learn more and get into it more but I do like to use InDesign as much as possible, anyone heard anything about it becoming a UB?The whole CS suite will be UB upon release of CS3.

MacRumorUser
Dec 15, 2006, 04:34 AM
Wont except my upgrade serial number CS2 from CS1 :(

Such a tease. Oh well at least I get 2 days trial i guess :o

thefunkymunky
Dec 15, 2006, 04:40 AM

It should work. I got a CS3 serial OK and I'm using a CS2 serial which is an upgrade from PS7 :confused:

profoundmedia
Dec 15, 2006, 04:57 AM
I Just installed it on my new 17" MBP C2D. WOW only a 2 sec start up time.
The icon only bounces once. :D

Edit:
BOOT VIDEO HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYoepcvDZoo)

ju5tin81
Dec 15, 2006, 05:38 AM
Anyone else think that the 64MB Graphics card requirement will be a turn off for a lot of Mac users?

Not a single PowerPC iBook or (officially specced) Mac Mini user will be able to run it? Before the whole ‘Powerbook vs iBook’ debate, with the exception of Graphics card, what was the diff between an iBook and a Powerbook 12”?

2 of Apples most popular lines are locked out... hmmm...

So an iBook bought 8 months ago cannot run the new Photoshop! I recon Apple and Adobe are working together here, to encourage people to upgrade their kit...

tiramisu
Dec 15, 2006, 05:51 AM

got the same problem. how bad!

japanime
Dec 15, 2006, 05:56 AM
Anyone else think that the 64MB Graphics card requirement will be a turn off for a lot of Mac users?

Um.... No.

What was a real turn-off was the fact that MacIntel owners had to run Photoshop CS2 under Rosetta.

But no more! Woo-hoo!

dhc
Dec 15, 2006, 06:20 AM

Advice anyone? :confused:

Thanks

(1.83ghz MBP)

thefunkymunky
Dec 15, 2006, 06:30 AM

Advice anyone? :confused:

Thanks

(1.83ghz MBP)

Corrupted disk image. Gonna need to download again I'm afraid.:eek:

point665
Dec 15, 2006, 06:30 AM
"You cannot use this installer with this version of Mac OS."

WTF? Dual 2.0 G5 running 10.4.7... And theres no requirements listed anywhere.

thefunkymunky
Dec 15, 2006, 06:32 AM
"You cannot use this installer with this version of Mac OS."

WTF? Dual 2.0 G5 running 10.4.7... And theres no requirements listed anywhere.

Upgrade to 10.4.8.

The minimum Mac system requirements are: a PowerPC G4 or G5 or Intel-based Mac; Mac OS X 10.4.8; 320MB of RAM (512MB is recommended); 512 minimum of RAM if you are running Adobe Bridge as well; 64MB of video RAM; 1.5GB of available hard-disk space; an 1024×768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card; DVD-ROM drive; Internet or phone connection for product activation; and QuickTime 7 software for multimedia features.

point665
Dec 15, 2006, 06:33 AM
Upgrade to 10.4.8.

Damn, hopefully dont get any problems from it. (remember reading about Dual 2.0 G5s having issues with it).

SpaceMagic
Dec 15, 2006, 06:34 AM
MacBook 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 1 GB ram... Photoshop CS3 = WOW :eek:

It only bounces once! For an app like this! The PPC version on my G5 (of CS2) takes a lot longer. This is amazing. Applying filters too! Quick!

point665
Dec 15, 2006, 06:38 AM
Upgrade to 10.4.8.

The minimum Mac system requirements are: a PowerPC G4 or G5 or Intel-based Mac; Mac OS X 10.4.8; 320MB of RAM (512MB is recommended); 512 minimum of RAM if you are running Adobe Bridge as well; 64MB of video RAM; 1.5GB of available hard-disk space; an 1024×768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card; DVD-ROM drive; Internet or phone connection for product activation; and QuickTime 7 software for multimedia features.

Whered you get the requirements from? Didnt see them on the download page nor in this forum...

petemc
Dec 15, 2006, 06:46 AM
Some screenshots (http://petemc.net/pics/screenshots/photoshop-cs3-beta/) showing the new interface and various Black and White settings. Fake infrared isn't very nice imho.

http://petemc.net/photos/d/2432-2/raw-black-and-white

thefunkymunky
Dec 15, 2006, 06:47 AM
Whered you get the requirements from? Didnt see them on the download page nor in this forum...

I got them from Macsimum News.

Linkage (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/public_beta_of_photoshop_cs3_to_be_available_dec_15/)

rhedpixel
Dec 15, 2006, 06:51 AM
I like the way that Adobe has implemented non-destructive filters in CS3.

I bet Imageready is still included-or in Creative Suite CS3 replaced by Fireworks.

Yes.. they rock (see the podcast on front paage)

IR seems to be gone as all is functionality is moved into PS

iMeowbot
Dec 15, 2006, 06:52 AM

official CS3 FAQ (http://www.jnack.com/PSCS3_FAQ.pdf) (PDF)

Photek
Dec 15, 2006, 07:55 AM
Damn... PS CS3 is quick....!

I just need to figure out how to install my scanner and I am laughing.

Come on Indesign CS Beta :D

R.Youden
Dec 15, 2006, 08:05 AM
I have just installed. I dont have CS2 as I am waiting for CS3 so it was a bugger that I could only try it out for 2 days. When I was installing it said that I had a 30 day trial? Has anyone else found this?

thefunkymunky
Dec 15, 2006, 08:13 AM
I have just installed. I dont have CS2 as I am waiting for CS3 so it was a bugger that I could only try it out for 2 days. When I was installing it said that I had a 30 day trial? Has anyone else found this?

Have you restarted it? Apparently it then says only two day trial. Might be worth not shutting it down and leave it running. ;)

spetznatz
Dec 15, 2006, 08:14 AM
Won't accept my serial number, either...this is from full CS2 Suite premium NFR (press copy). Can't believe they'd lock press copies out of this...

Mydriasis
Dec 15, 2006, 08:31 AM
It should work. I got a CS3 serial OK and I'm using a CS2 serial which is an upgrade from PS7 :confused:

I have a full legal version of CS2 Premium and it won't except my serial either. :mad:

jholzner
Dec 15, 2006, 08:32 AM

Can someone confirm this? I doubt it's Cocoa. That would entail a complete rewrite of the App.

iPlm
Dec 15, 2006, 08:37 AM
Can anyone confirm that you can rotate the canvas/background like in Painter? You know, like in traditional drawing you rotate the paper so you're more comfortable with your pencil/brush, i mean this rotating feature in Corel Painter...

thefunkymunky
Dec 15, 2006, 08:38 AM
Won't accept my serial number, either...this is from full CS2 Suite premium NFR (press copy). Can't believe they'd lock press copies out of this...

NFR? Not for resale? Not for release?

MacBoobsPro
Dec 15, 2006, 08:39 AM
Ermm... am I blind or stupid? Where is the download link? I dont even see a mention of CS3 on the Adobe site. :confused:

sdyoyo
Dec 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
Same here the CS3 serial that it gave me didn't work...

mikey.f
Dec 15, 2006, 08:46 AM
:confused: I can't activate either. Looks like a first bug. :rolleyes:

Or we just don't know how to do it yet.

May be we should have waited for the official beta release ???

iMeowbot
Dec 15, 2006, 08:48 AM
Ermm... am I blind or stupid? Where is the download link? I dont even see a mention of CS3 on the Adobe site. :confused:

Somehow the download link was released to the wild before the Adobe Labs pages were set up. http://trials.adobe.com/pub/esd/labs/photoshopcs3/adobephotoshop_10_12-14-06.dmg (685 MB)

TheSpaz
Dec 15, 2006, 08:49 AM
Have you restarted it? Apparently it then says only two day trial. Might be worth not shutting it down and leave it running. ;)

What if you set your clock back every 2 days? What if you deleted the preferences every 2 days? It's gotta get that time from somewhere.

heehee
Dec 15, 2006, 08:58 AM
My serial number won't work. It's a full version of CS2. :(

LastZion
Dec 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
great news. Photoshop in rosetta was starting to get to me.

IrishMac
Dec 15, 2006, 09:06 AM
I also think it sucks that CS1 people have bee cut out. We didn't go for CS2 here and decided to wait on CS3. My boss is a bit funny on ordering new software as he likes to "evaluate" before buying (I'm the only mac in the dept so having to order "special" software is a huge problem). Darn it I wanted to test PShop CS3 so that I can convience him to order the suite when it launchs.

Downloaded it anyway... 8mb/sec... not too shabby :)

2ndPath
Dec 15, 2006, 09:25 AM
What if you set your clock back every 2 days? What if you deleted the preferences every 2 days? It's gotta get that time from somewhere.

Well, I guess Adobe has a more sophisticated system than just storing the date in a preference file. They offer most of their software as a 30 day trial for download. So they certainly make it difficult to circumvent this time limit.

bearbo
Dec 15, 2006, 09:28 AM
is it just me or does some people have trouble downloading this?

edit i think it's just me

crees!
Dec 15, 2006, 09:29 AM
Photoshop CS3 Sneak Peek Video Podcast

Wow. Talk about a surprise (well, not really) seeing a link to podcasts from Rich Harrington. He was my "Photoshop" professor in college and then I worked for him at RHED Pixel for about a year. Going to check these out now!

Virtualball
Dec 15, 2006, 09:45 AM
Can someone confirm this? I doubt it's Cocoa. That would entail a complete rewrite of the App.

I can confirm this, and the installer is different then everyother one, it kinda pretends to be a normal installer...

CJD2112
Dec 15, 2006, 09:49 AM
Is it gone already??? Seriously? It's not there....

UPDATE
Never mind, I guess I needed to have an Adobe account in order to "see" it...

CTYankee
Dec 15, 2006, 09:57 AM
I was able to install all but Photoshop, but now the installer won't even launch.

G4 dual 867 MDD, 10.4.8, 1.75GB RAM...

heehee
Dec 15, 2006, 10:09 AM
No more beachball, this thing flies on ANYTHING, even opening 150 meg files with 50 layers. I might have to call Adobe to get them to get me a new CS2 serial number, mine don't work.

TheSpaz
Dec 15, 2006, 10:19 AM
Well, I guess Adobe has a more sophisticated system than just storing the date in a preference file. They offer most of their software as a 30 day trial for download. So they certainly make it difficult to circumvent this time limit.

Then where would the time limit be stored? Would it be possible to uninstall the App and re-install it again to get more time out of it?

Kid Red
Dec 15, 2006, 10:25 AM
Rants-

PS-
Applying blending options expands the FX on each layer. Annoying as I then need to collapse after blending options. I often work on 30+ layers so to collapse every-time is EXTREMELY annoying. PS 7 did this, PS C2 did not. A step back.

We lose the top tool bar. So on my 23" widescreen monitor I have a foot of empty blank space now and my side to side real estate is wasted. Why can't we have the old options to dock up top?

Still no way to have a smallish animation window. It's icon is twice that of the other icons and is such a space waster. Why can't is collapse like the other tools/windows?

File window has drop shadow, no other window does. It looks weird now because C3 looks like windows on the mac now and the drop shadow here but not there looks amateurish.

Bridge does not automatically open even tho it's selected.

Bridge renders a ton of thumbs blurry. Not sure why.

Other than the screen caps shown on what's new, there isn't much. Seems they touched up Bridge, touched up the UI, added a few new features that I mostly likely never need and coded it binary.

If this is close to final, I may hold off upgrading because I don't use this on an intel mac.

TheSpaz
Dec 15, 2006, 10:36 AM
Rants-

PS-
Applying blending options expands the FX on each layer. Annoying as I then need to collapse after blending options. I often work on 30+ layers so to collapse every-time is EXTREMELY annoying. PS 7 did this, PS C2 did not. A step back.

We lose the top tool bar. So on my 23" widescreen monitor I have a foot of empty blank space now and my side to side real estate is wasted. Why can't we have the old options to dock up top?

Still no way to have a smallish animation window. It's icon is twice that of the other icons and is such a space waster. Why can't is collapse like the other tools/windows?

File window has drop shadow, no other window does. It looks weird now because C3 looks like windows on the mac now and the drop shadow here but not there looks amateurish.

Bridge does not automatically open even tho it's selected.

Bridge renders a ton of thumbs blurry. Not sure why.

Other than the screen caps shown on what's new, there isn't much. Seems they touched up Bridge, touched up the UI, added a few new features that I mostly likely never need and coded it binary.

If this is close to final, I may hold off upgrading because I don't use this on an intel mac.

It's a beta.... and I think they had to re-code the whole thing to make it Universal Binary and now it's a Cocoa App which means no more old crappy classic code in it.... so there's gonna be some things they missed.

Kid Red
Dec 15, 2006, 10:38 AM
No image ready. Not sure if that is getting axed.

Bridge looks more and more like a hacked skin. Rough jagged edges. Dark greys with Aqua folders, scroll bars just don't look right. MAybe it's to go with 10.5's dark theme UI?

AppliedVisual
Dec 15, 2006, 10:41 AM
Then where would the time limit be stored? Would it be possible to uninstall the App and re-install it again to get more time out of it?

I'm sure it's possible somehow, just need to find where PS stores the appropriate info. On Windows, a new 30 day trial can be started by uninstalling and completely removing PS and then you have to dig through the system registry <shudder> and remove about 6 entries -- 2 or 3 of which often appear to be randomly placed and arbitrarily named. Then you can reinstall. It's a real PITA. ...Now, don't know if they have updated changed this with CS2 or CS3. And have never tried it on OSX...

freeny
Dec 15, 2006, 10:46 AM
Somehow the download link was released to the wild before the Adobe Labs pages were set up. http://trials.adobe.com/pub/esd/labs/photoshopcs3/adobephotoshop_10_12-14-06.dmg (685 MB)

still cant find it...:confused:

jimN
Dec 15, 2006, 10:47 AM
Rants-

Well don't tell us, email adobe. This is a beta after all so I'm sure that feedback is expected and welcomed.

People are quick to complain to others but seem less than keen to address the problem themselves. Especially when the problem happens to occur in free BETA software.

iMeowbot
Dec 15, 2006, 10:53 AM
still cant find it...:confused:

Okay, maybe you need to log in (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5Fphotoshop) then.

skiphunt
Dec 15, 2006, 10:56 AM
I didn't see CS3 on the Adobe site, but one of the other alternate links HERE in this thread worked. I had to enter my CS2 serial to download, etc. It installed on my MacBookPro Core 2... but not everything works... says it didn't install some files or when I try to lauch links it says they aren't there. Some of the functionality is there though.

It won't install on my G5 DP 2Ghz machine. Says I have to quite "TWAINBridge" first.. but I don't have anything running called that.

So, I went to the Adobe Lab to try and re-download the installer.. and it's still not there. I'm logged in to.

Then I go to dpreview.com and someone says the legit installer isn't even available for DL yet and that some are passing off "malware" installers. Did I just get suckered into giving out my SN to some jacka$$ pawning off a fake version of the CS3? If so, how do I clean this crap off my machine until the "real" version is available?

heehee
Dec 15, 2006, 11:00 AM
Then I go to dpreview.com and someone says the legit installer isn't even available for DL yet and that some are passing off "malware" installers. Did I just get suckered into giving out my SN to some jacka$$ pawning off a fake version of the CS3? If so, how do I clean this crap off my machine until the "real" version is available?

I'm pretty sure it's the real download since it's straight from Adobe.com. They just dont have a link from the homepage or any other page yet.

Kid Red
Dec 15, 2006, 11:03 AM
It's a beta.... and I think they had to re-code the whole thing to make it Universal Binary and now it's a Cocoa App which means no more old crappy classic code in it.... so there's gonna be some things they missed.

Well don't tell us, email adobe. This is a beta after all so I'm sure that feedback is expected and welcomed.

People are quick to complain to others but seem less than keen to address the problem themselves. Especially when the problem happens to occur in free BETA software.

What's their email? I have no issue sending them feedback and have before (was an Apple seeder as well, so I guess I 'complain' very well)

I'm quick to 'complain' as you see my critiquing of issues that affect me negatively and I've 'complained' to Adobe's web forums since v7 and my threads always seem to fade into oblivion rather quietly so I stopped.

Kid Red
Dec 15, 2006, 11:07 AM
Be careful, installing bridge will open all images in C3, even if you open Bridge C2, it will open images in C3. I guess I'll have to drag my images to C2 or uninstall PS C3. Seems to be defaulting to opening everything in C3. Retared.

alexeismertin
Dec 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
Downloaded & installed on my 12" ibook without any problems, launches fine & I love the new layout. I tried out the quick select & exposure - love it. Can't wait for the final release so I can get a MB/MBP.

failsafe1
Dec 15, 2006, 11:32 AM
Tried it and did not really like the new layout. I am sure it is a case of different not bad. This looks more like the interface of AE so that is probably a good thing. I only have the two day version so folks with a CS2 serials let us know how things work in the long term.

iJawn108
Dec 15, 2006, 11:32 AM
OMG Finally, this is why I got my macbook. I have been using my old PC with 7 cause cs2 wouldnt run worth a damn on my macbook(512ram).

I still only have 512 MB ram and my 2 ghz core duo, and it's sooooo fast!!!! I've used it for 5 min so far and I absolutely love it. :D

I can't wait for the final version to be released, I will definately be picking this up.

Screen Shot (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/jawn108/Picture1-3.png)

bousozoku
Dec 15, 2006, 11:40 AM

It's unlikely that Adobe would switch their code from C and C++ to Objective-C because of the skill set involved. It's more likely that it's simply a Carbon application done properly.

psycho bob
Dec 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
For all those like me having issues getting a working CS3 serial from Adobe don't despair. There is a reason the download is not clearly sign posted on the Adobe labs website and that is they are not ready.

The structure for allocating new serials is not yet fully in place. Adobe will support just about every form of Photoshop CS2 serial including upgrades and education numbers. Word is just to be patient for the site to go live :)

p0intblank
Dec 15, 2006, 12:22 PM
For all those like me having issues getting a working CS3 serial from Adobe don't despair. There is a reason the download is not clearly sign posted on the Adobe labs website and that is they are not ready.

The structure for allocating new serials is not yet fully in place. Adobe will support just about every form of Photoshop CS2 serial including upgrades and education numbers. Word is just to be patient for the site to go live :)

Where did you learn this?

Scenicroadways
Dec 15, 2006, 01:00 PM
you cant just enter your serial number from CS2, etc. You have to go to the beta site, enter it there, and then they will give you a CS3 serial number based on your CS2 number.

RealityCheque
Dec 15, 2006, 01:07 PM
The PS3 beta says my CS2 serial # is "not eligible". I used the Adobe online help who said they couldn't help and gave me a 1-800 # to call. I talked to Tech Support at that # and they said they couldn't help and transferred me to Customer Service. Customer Service said because it's a beta, I have to use the online help and gave me a web site URL that returns a 'page not found' error.

Crazy!

Does anyone know what to do when a legitimate serial # doesn't work?

Thanks!

mduser63
Dec 15, 2006, 01:12 PM
you cant just enter your serial number from CS2, etc. You have to go to the beta site, enter it there, and then they will give you a CS3 serial number based on your CS2 number.
:rolleyes: Yes, we know. The beta site's serial form is what's rejecting our serial numbers (as fairly clearly implied in my first post on the subject).

The PS3 beta says my CS2 serial # is "not eligible". I used the Adobe online help who said they couldn't help and gave me a 1-800 # to call. I talked to Tech Support at that # and they said they couldn't help and transferred me to Customer Service. Customer Service said because it's a beta, I have to use the online help and gave me a web site URL that returns a 'page not found' error. If you look about three posts above yours, there's a post stating that the serial number database is not fully in place yet.

Crazy!

Does anyone know what to do when a legitimate serial # doesn't work?

Thanks!

Well, you might want to wait until the beta actually goes live. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the Photoshop CS3 beta is not mentioned on Adobe Labs main page, as it is not really officially available yet. The download link going around was found by somebody, but Adobe hasn't given it out officially yet.

Peace
Dec 15, 2006, 01:16 PM
I thought Adobe said it could be used for 2 days without a serial number?
Just installed it and I had the option to try it for free for 30 days.

apfhex
Dec 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure if you noticed, but the Photoshop CS3 beta is not mentioned on Adobe Labs main page, as it is not really officially available yet. The download link going around was found by somebody, but Adobe hasn't given it out officially yet.
Yeah, I thought that was curious. They said it would be available early morning Pacific time, but it's not findable on the Adobe Labs website yet. Meanwhile MR went a posted an article with a download link that works.

When I followed the MR link it asked me to login with my Adobe ID, which I did, and it brought me to a page asking to register for an account. Huh. I refreshed the page and it redirected me to the download page anyway (showing me a logged in in the corner). After I downloaded I went to the serial forum and entered my CS2 Premium Educational serial number and got a CS3 serial. So, it worked for me.

Can anyone confirm that you can rotate the canvas/background like in Painter? You know, like in traditional drawing you rotate the paper so you're more comfortable with your pencil/brush, i mean this rotating feature in Corel Painter...
What is Painter's rotate canvas feature like? Because Photoshop has always (that I've seen) had a rotate canvas option.

psycho bob
Dec 15, 2006, 02:03 PM
Where did you learn this?

Somebody posted on Adobe's official forum pages they were have serial number issues with the demo. The first reply was a link to what I assume was either one of the developer's or just a tester's blog which stated the problem and also the surprise that people had found a link to the demo.

Reading between the lines I think we can assume the demo was not meant for official release today.

dausone
Dec 15, 2006, 02:05 PM
I dont know if its been posted yet... but here is the beta site so that you can "convert" your cs2 serial into a working cs3. But just a word of warning to those interested in using your serialz if you have em... you have to activate cs3 online or over the phone in order to use the full version that doesnt expire in 2 days. :D

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/

mduser63
Dec 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
I dont know if its been posted yet... but here is the beta site so that you can "convert" your cs2 serial into a working cs3. But just a word of warning to those interested in using your serialz if you have em... you have to activate cs3 online or over the phone in order to use the full version that doesnt expire in 2 days. :D

That was posted at the bottom of the front page article that links to this thread. Not to mention discussed thoroughly in posts just preceding yours.

iPlm
Dec 15, 2006, 02:15 PM
What is Painter's rotate canvas feature like? Because Photoshop has always (that I've seen) had a rotate canvas option.

In Painter when you press Alt+Spacebar and move the mouse, you can rotate the canvas like in traditional painting and drawing, without changing anything in the image, just rotating the canvas to your view angle of choice so you can make gestures more comfortable for your hand. I think it's called Rotate Page tool. I'm not sure if I've explained it correctly, there was an article in AppleInsider which said PS CS3 would have this feature too. It's not like Rotate CW/CCW because they actually change the image (well you can switch it back to as it were but anyway), this tool only rotates your view. :)

I'm glad there's finally a Universal Photoshop even if it's a beta. Guess Adobe waited till I get a Mac to release it... :rolleyes:

theman5725
Dec 15, 2006, 02:35 PM
OMG Finally, this is why I got my macbook. I have been using my old PC with 7 cause cs2 wouldnt run worth a damn on my macbook(512ram).

I still only have 512 MB ram and my 2 ghz core duo, and it's sooooo fast!!!! I've used it for 5 min so far and I absolutely love it. :D

I can't wait for the final version to be released, I will definately be picking this up.

Are you using a c2d or just a cd? If you're just using a CD I have the same computer as you and I really want to know how it runs (downloading it now)

Lucky8
Dec 15, 2006, 02:56 PM
I thought Adobe said it could be used for 2 days without a serial number?
Just installed it and I had the option to try it for free for 30 days.
How did you do that? Mine says 2 days left. I dont have the serial number from my CS2 anymore since I sold it w/ my PowerBook.. :(
Do you have the link where you dl it from?

mduser63
Dec 15, 2006, 02:57 PM
Looks like the official release is here now. It's on the Adobe Labs (http://labs.adobe.com/) front page. Going to try my serial again...

EDIT: And it took it this time and gave me a CS3 serial. :D

Peace
Dec 15, 2006, 03:01 PM
How did you do that? Mine says 2 days left. I dont have the serial number from my CS2 anymore since I sold it w/ my PowerBook.. :(
Do you have the link where you dl it from?

Well now after closing the app and re-opening it a window popped up saying I had 2 days left.Weird.

When I installed it I selected the "free 30 day trial"

ely
Dec 15, 2006, 03:13 PM
The first reply was a link to what I assume was either one of the developer's or just a tester's blog which stated the problem and also the surprise that people had found a link to the demo.

I'd be surprised if they were surprised people found the demo link. I had found the CS3 page as I posted earlier, just replaced "soundbooth" with "photoshop" in a URL. I'm guessing lots of others including the digg guy later found it in a similar fashion too. I'd be more surprised that they didn't lock down pre-release web pages :)

Hooray for official release!

CJD2112
Dec 15, 2006, 03:14 PM
Works like a dream. Much faster than Rosetta.

Lucky8
Dec 15, 2006, 03:23 PM
I'd be surprised if they were surprised people found the demo link. I had found the CS3 page as I posted earlier, just replaced "soundbooth" with "photoshop" in a URL. I'm guessing lots of others including the digg guy later found it in a similar fashion too. I'd be more surprised that they didn't lock down pre-release web pages :)

Hooray for official release!

Does this official release link still only let you try it our for 2 days or does it actually let you try it our for a full 30 day trial period?

needlnerdz
Dec 15, 2006, 03:23 PM
Oooh happy day! I had expected to wait months before getting to use PS at true speeds on my Macbook... now if I could only get the random shutdowns to stop...

mashinhead
Dec 15, 2006, 03:51 PM
INSTALLATION QUESTION

I recieve an error saying i have to quit twain bridge, for my scanner but i don't know how to turn that off, can't install until then.

uv23
Dec 15, 2006, 04:08 PM
How is this working for any of you??? We have a series of serial #s at my company and none of them are being recognized as valid, whether they're CS2 or just Photoshop CS2. So annoying.

mduser63
Dec 15, 2006, 04:11 PM
How is this working for any of you??? We have a series of serial #s at my company and none of them are being recognized as valid, whether they're CS2 or just Photoshop CS2. So annoying.

Have you tried since it was officially released an hour or so ago? I was having the same problem, but after the official release (and not a minute before), my serial was accepted.

uv23
Dec 15, 2006, 04:25 PM
Yes I have tried again and the serials are still not recognized. I dont' need to redownload do I?

uv23
Dec 15, 2006, 04:35 PM
Aha! This whole time I had been entering my CS2 serial into the CS3 setup. I didn't realize you had to get a CS3 serial based off your CS2 serial from the adobe website. Done.

Westside guy
Dec 15, 2006, 04:41 PM

This is all still with the default settings (20 history states and 70% memory). I guess Rosetta has been doing one hell of a job translating all this time. :P

So when they say "40% faster"... they're just referring to faster than under Rosetta? That's really funny.

Parallels should advertise how much faster they are than VirtualPC. :D

wmmk
Dec 15, 2006, 04:49 PM
i think he meant the installer is cocoa, instead of being a generic installshield file.
Some screenshots (http://petemc.net/pics/screenshots/photoshop-cs3-beta/) showing the new interface and various Black and White settings. Fake infrared isn't very nice imho.

http://petemc.net/photos/d/2432-2/raw-black-and-white

what exactly is this infared feature?

anyway, is this icon just for the beta, or is it here to stay? its FUG™ly!
does this come with lightroom, or is bridge 2.0 the same as lightroom? i'm so confused about the whole image browser thing. oh well.

mchendricks
Dec 15, 2006, 04:59 PM
hmmm, no go on my dual 867 G4. Anyone get it to install on a G4? I see it says 1ghz or faster, but the installer passes the system check and I get 'component install failed'.

I got it to install on my MDD dual 867 running 10.4.8. My computer has 1 GB RAM and an ATI 9600 (64 Meg) card from OWC. It runs okay on an old machine. No problems so far. I'll upgrade to CS3 when it come out.

Mike

Apple Corps
Dec 15, 2006, 05:00 PM
INSTALLATION QUESTION

I recieve an error saying i have to quit twain bridge, for my scanner but i don't know how to turn that off, can't install until then.

Turn off your scanner / disconnect the usb cord and then you can open CS3 and load the serial numbers

morphie
Dec 15, 2006, 05:01 PM
Do the little red x's to close the panels bother anyone? They are sinfully ugly, and they are on the right hand side. I had hoped that firefox was going to be the only application (major) to disregard the OS X scheme and put the close boxes on the right hand side.

It is a bad sign for the future of the CS suites usability on OS X if Adobe can't understand something as simple as UI standards. I know they've broken such things in the past, and they don't apply to other standards (IPTC to name one) so it isn't surprising really, but moving the position of window close boxes is an affront I can't stand for. I know their design team will be hearing from me at MWSF.

The apps icon is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I can't believe they let that out the door, even for a beta. It's almost as bad as Microsofts new home page, just released today (you know, the one where the ZUNE ad takes up 3/4 of your screen).

Kid Red
Dec 15, 2006, 05:07 PM
INSTALLATION QUESTION

applications/utilities/activity viewer. Look for twain bridge and hit quit process.

Spagolli94
Dec 15, 2006, 05:20 PM
Did the retouchartists.com test on my Mac Pro 2.66 w/3GB of RAM. Ran the test back to back with Mail, Itunes, bittorrent, and iChat open. Default settings in Photoshop CS2 and CS3.

CS2 - 2:45
CS3 - 2:24

I will go ahead and redo them after fresh reboots and post results.

I had similar improvement on my MacPro. With default settings, here's what I got:

CS2
RAM set to 70%
History set to 20
Time 1:50

CS3
RAM set to 70%
History set to 20
Time 1:24

Rosetta must be doing a hell of a job - I expected to see more improvment.

FYI, increasing RAM and decreasing history to 1 gave me a big speed boost using CS3 - all the way down to 37 seconds.

Also interesting... My times are in-line with the G5 Quad (similar RAM config). I thought the new MacPro was supposed to be faster? Likewise, my buddy has an Intel iMac. His times are inline with my wife's G5 iMac. They both have 1GB of RAM. What gives?

longofest
Dec 15, 2006, 05:32 PM
Also interesting... My times are in-line with the G5 Quad (similar RAM config). I thought the new MacPro was supposed to be faster? Likewise, my buddy has an Intel iMac. His times are inline with my wife's G5 iMac. They both have 1GB of RAM. What gives?

I'm trying to gather some benchmarks using a common set of settings to see if we can't get some clarification on those kind of questions. Please see this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=261046).

CTYankee
Dec 15, 2006, 05:35 PM
I got it to install on my MDD dual 867 running 10.4.8. My computer has 1 GB RAM and an ATI 9600 (64 Meg) card from OWC. It runs okay on an old machine. No problems so far. I'll upgrade to CS3 when it come out.

Mike

INstalled it on my 867 powerbook and then moved all the files to my PM. Not sure why the installer doesn't like my PM. Thats OK, its days are numbered. MacPro as soon as Apple makes their next move on the MP model.

2ndPath
Dec 15, 2006, 05:47 PM
anyway, is this icon just for the beta, or is it here to stay? its FUG™ly!
does this come with lightroom, or is bridge 2.0 the same as lightroom? i'm so confused about the whole image browser thing. oh well.

The icon is similar in style to the icon of Adobe Reader 8 (solid square as background). So that might be the Adobe trend now, although I can't imagine that the letters like Ps and Br will remain in the icons as they are.

dpaanlka
Dec 15, 2006, 05:57 PM

Photoshop and Painter are not really similar programs. Photoshop is not a painting program. Painter is not an image editor.

iPlm
Dec 15, 2006, 06:19 PM
Photoshop and Painter are not really similar programs. Photoshop is not a painting program. Painter is not an image editor.

Yup I know that:) I use them both and been using Photoshop for a long time. For painting and everything else it's great. I was just curious if it actually has this feature because I like it in Painter, and as I've written previously, in an article about PS CS3 in AppleInsider it said it would have this viewing rotation.

Bitman
Dec 15, 2006, 06:33 PM
Get CS3 serial number with the link below. You need your CS2 number... you can look it up with a linke on this page too.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5Fphotoshop%5Fsn

KeareB
Dec 15, 2006, 06:42 PM
Get CS3 serial number with the link below. You need your CS2 number... you can look it up with a linke on this page too.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5Fphotoshop%5Fsn

Got a legit education CS2 Premium serial #, registered on the Adobe website as such, happens to be education, but says I am ineligible.

Any suggestions?

ryanide
Dec 15, 2006, 06:48 PM
On my Mac Pro Dual 3.0GHZ, the CS2 took about 14-15 seconds to startup. CS3 is up in less than 2 seconds, seems almost instant. The new pallets are great! I can't wait to get into it!

Bravo Adobe!

:) :)

japanime
Dec 15, 2006, 07:24 PM
Where can I download the Illustrator CS3 Beta and the InDesign CS3 Beta?

;)

Photoshop CS3 is making me greedy!

Great job, Adobe!

vohdoun
Dec 15, 2006, 07:26 PM

After 8 pages and nobody has commented on the Vista like graphics on the tool palettes?

Yes I know some won't care and all that matters is intel performance but still, im curious why this reminds me of Vista so much!

japanime
Dec 15, 2006, 08:02 PM
After 8 pages and nobody has commented on the Vista like graphics on the tool palettes?

Yes I know some won't care and all that matters is intel performance but still, im curious why this reminds me of Vista so much!

I wouldn't know what Vista even looks like. That's the next-generation Windows OS, right? I don't go near that stuff. :D

As for the looks of the application--as long as it's intuitive and runs like a champ and gets the job done, I don't care if it looks like OS7 or OSX or Vista or whatever...

jrhone
Dec 15, 2006, 08:04 PM
OK...LOVE it...on my 3Ghz Mac Pro it absolutely FLIES.....I get INSTANT results where before it was a second or 2 to see screen changes and cursor changes....BUT...now my cursors are gone! My clone stamp circle...gone...so I dont know the size of the brush. Same for all brushes....they are all crosshairs. ideas?

apfhex
Dec 15, 2006, 08:13 PM
Got a legit education CS2 Premium serial #, registered on the Adobe website as such, happens to be education, but says I am ineligible.
If you bothered to read the existing discussions there's been lots of talk about people having problems with their serials. Adobe's having some issues and it'll be cleared up eventually.

BTW, I've noticed that it's apparently impossible to login to the Adobe CS3 Beta Forums. I'm logged in with my Adobe ID on the site already and I can post in the regular Adobe forums, but not the Adobe Labs Forums which use a different format. When I click the "Login" link it asks me to pick a nickname, but nothing I enter is accepted (literally, nothing at all, as in it's broken in some way).

ryanide
Dec 15, 2006, 08:35 PM
OK...LOVE it...on my 3Ghz Mac Pro it absolutely FLIES.....I get INSTANT results where before it was a second or 2 to see screen changes and cursor changes....BUT...now my cursors are gone! My clone stamp circle...gone...so I dont know the size of the brush. Same for all brushes....they are all crosshairs. ideas?

you're right. even changing the preferences does not allow you to see the precise brush size, only the cross hair. probably a weird glitch.

welcome to the world of unfinished software (beta).

dornoforpyros
Dec 15, 2006, 09:14 PM
DAMN, I'll admit I was one of the nay sayers who's been busting Adobe's chops over the last year or so over both the macromedia buy out, and the lack of intel support up until this point.

But I've gotta swallow my words here and say I'm quit impressed with what I've seen. The performance on my macbook pro is great, and some of the new features are pretty dammed impressive to. The smart object filters are GREAT and the quick selection tool is pretty damn slick as well. I can't wait for the full release now :)

vohdoun
Dec 15, 2006, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't know what Vista even looks like. That's the next-generation Windows OS, right? I don't go near that stuff. :D

The black glass stuff on the tool palette borders reminds me of the black glass on the startmenu and other places...

See here http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rtm_ultimate_gallery.asp

As for the looks of the application--as long as it's intuitive and runs like a champ and gets the job done, I don't care if it looks like OS7 or OSX or Vista or whatever...

Yes! so true so true!

jrhone
Dec 15, 2006, 10:48 PM

OK...according to the Beta Faq on Adobes Website...

"KNOWN ISSUES:
Known issues for the Photoshop CS3 beta include the following:

* Large cursors are not displayed on Intel-based Macs. "

OK...what the hell machines were they using to develop this? Large Cursors dont display? YOU CANNOT USE IT if you cannot see the cursor!!!!! UGHHHH.....this was a BS beta release. It only shows what it may look like eventually, but is NOT a solution. Most betas have issues and workarounds, but not beaing able to see the cursor on the screen when you are painting, healing, etc....NO brushes are seen....idiotic...I would think that would be one of the FIRST things done....and if they are not developing on an Intel Mac...what the hell are they using???? How do they know the functions work? You CANNOT USE THE FUNCTION if YOU CANNOT SEE THE CURSOR!!!!! OK...rant off....back to CS2....

dllavaneras
Dec 15, 2006, 11:12 PM
:( it won't run on my emac... maybe it's time I upgrade, this 700 Mhz G4 is starting to show it's age ;)

dante@sisna.com
Dec 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
My times are in-line with the G5 Quad (similar RAM config). I thought the new MacPro was supposed to be faster? Likewise, my buddy has an Intel iMac. His times are inline with my wife's G5 iMac. They both have 1GB of RAM. What gives?

The Mac Pro is somewhat faster than the G5 Quad, but the G5 Quad is a fantastic machine for sure. I have both. I would never sell the G5 Quad -- it runs OS9 and all currrent Mac OS'es.

It hangs with the Mac Pro Quad 2.66.

jrhone
Dec 16, 2006, 12:50 AM
OK...according to the Beta Faq on Adobes Website...

"KNOWN ISSUES:
Known issues for the Photoshop CS3 beta include the following:

* Large cursors are not displayed on Intel-based Macs. "

OK...what the hell machines were they using to develop this? Large Cursors dont display? YOU CANNOT USE IT if you cannot see the cursor!!!!! UGHHHH.....this was a BS beta release. It only shows what it may look like eventually, but is NOT a solution. Most betas have issues and workarounds, but not beaing able to see the cursor on the screen when you are painting, healing, etc....NO brushes are seen....idiotic...I would think that would be one of the FIRST things done....and if they are not developing on an Intel Mac...what the hell are they using???? How do they know the functions work? You CANNOT USE THE FUNCTION if YOU CANNOT SEE THE CURSOR!!!!! OK...rant off....back to CS2....

Adobes official response.....run CS3 beta in Rosetta....I did and it indeed shows the cursors....They said you will also see a speed increase over CS2 even under Rosetta...They say the problem is not just in the Adobe code but Apple has to make some changes as well as Adobe. Hmmmm.....well its a nice upgrade....I'll play with it some more....

YS2003
Dec 16, 2006, 05:50 AM
I have to thank the previous posters on how to find this beta and install it properly on my Mac. I would have been lost scratching my head how my CS2 key does not work (as I have to get CS3 key through my CS2 key).
I was able to successfully install this on my MBP. Good thing is this PS beta does not over-write my PS CS2.

I have to play with this before I can comment on its usability. But so far, the launch is lightning quick after clicking on the alias.

By the way, does this beta have "expiration date?" Does it become in-operable when it reaches the certain day (like a time-bomb) so that Adobe prevents the users to keep using the beta even after the official CS3 launch?

Darkroom
Dec 16, 2006, 07:45 AM

tell me about it... i spend about 2 hours trying to troubleshoot this issue before finally realizing it's a bata issue... oh my poor little capslock key, because of this issue i've been so mean to it today :-(

:p

2ndPath
Dec 16, 2006, 08:17 AM
By the way, does this beta have "expiration date?" Does it become in-operable when it reaches the certain day (like a time-bomb) so that Adobe prevents the users to keep using the beta even after the official CS3 launch?

When I installed it, it said something about expiring at a certain date. I think it was the end of march, april or may 2007.

heehee
Dec 16, 2006, 08:37 AM

"Photoshop CS3 beta will expire soon after the launch of Photoshop CS3 in Spring 2007."

lorductape
Dec 16, 2006, 09:20 AM
aren't you supposed to use cs3 outside the trial with a serial from cs2? only it won't let me enter my cs2 serial.

lorductape
Dec 16, 2006, 09:28 AM
ok, figured out where I get a cs3 number, but it's telling me online that my CS2 serial is not eligible! thoughts???????

z400central
Dec 16, 2006, 11:12 AM
Runs wicked fast!!!! 3 seconds to startup for my stock 15'' C2D!!

Question: One thing i hate about PS is that when you work with it, you can still see the desktop in the background. However, I noticed that the image below is like in full screen mode for photoshop. How can I get this?

Im a switcher, so windows used to do this and it was just easier on the eyes.

Thanks!

http://www.photoshopuser.com/images/cs3learning/features/Fig1.jpg

http://www.photoshopuser.com/images/cs3learning/features/Fig1.jpg

lorductape
Dec 16, 2006, 11:28 AM
Runs wicked fast!!!! 3 seconds to startup for my stock 15'' C2D!!

Question: One thing i hate about PS is that when you work with it, you can still see the desktop in the background. However, I noticed that the image below is like in full screen mode for photoshop. How can I get this?

Im a switcher, so windows used to do this and it was just easier on the eyes.

Thanks!

I agree, does anyone know how to get it into a more pc-like full screen mode? I hate accidently clicking outside the picture and photoshop fading away...

cool picture you're editing by the way

YS2003
Dec 16, 2006, 11:43 AM
When I installed it, it said something about expiring at a certain date. I think it was the end of march, april or may 2007.
Does it "phone home" to Adobe website to make the software de-activate? Or, does this beta already come with the expiration date encoded (which is tied in with OS's date/time)?

lorductape
Dec 16, 2006, 12:01 PM
Does it "phone home" to Adobe website to make the software de-activate? Or, does this beta already come with the expiration date encoded (which is tied in with OS's date/time)?

probably the latter

alexeismertin
Dec 16, 2006, 12:03 PM
I agree, does anyone know how to get it into a more pc-like full screen mode? I hate accidently clicking outside the picture and photoshop fading away...

Its just below the toolbar on the left - it lets you scroll through different layout views or press F on your keyboard.

dornoforpyros
Dec 16, 2006, 12:41 PM

the F key once for light grey background, twice for a black background. Hitting tab hides all your tool pallets. It's great for reviewing work with other designers and not get distracted.

clintob
Dec 16, 2006, 02:54 PM
I have no idea what anyone on this board is complaining about in terms of speed...??

If you have not seen a tremendous increase in speed from CS2 to CS3 on Intel Macs, then you have incorrect settings, a terrible hard drive, or no RAM in your machine (if you have a Mac that you use for graphics work, and you haven't beefed up the RAM to at least 2 or 3GB, you're not enjoying your Mac anywhere near its potential).

The application is visibly faster, smoother, and more responsive than CS2 on it's best days on an Intel Mac. Now sure, the differences between CS2 on a Quad G5 and CS3 on an Intel MacPro might be less than expected right now, but read the fine print on the Beta site. This release doesn't include all of the acceleration features that the final one will... including full OpenGL support with more active use of the graphics card. They've activated this use, but it's not fully integrated yet. So, in English, this means that upon final release, any machine with a good graphics card will essentially have the bonus of adding another whole processing unit with it's own dedicated RAM along side your regular machine setup.

So please... everyone who was expecting a new Photoshop that actually designs for you, and all your work was actually ready before you even clicked the mouse... be realistic. This is an incredible boost in performance (and oh, by the way, it looks fantastic which is a huge improvement for those of us who spend all day inside the PS world). Just the mere fact that it loads up within 2 seconds on my machine is absolutely unreal. We literally laughed out loud in the office when that happened. If you've been a PS user all along, you remember well the good old days when that nifty PS splash screen would be staring you in the face sometimes for 20-30 seconds. And smart filters...? This feature is worth its weight in gold - the best thing Adobe has done in a LONG time.

Well done Adobe... don't listen to the cry babies.

jrhone
Dec 16, 2006, 03:09 PM
I have no idea what anyone on this board is complaining about in terms of speed...??

If you have not seen a tremendous increase in speed from CS2 to CS3 on Intel Macs, then you have incorrect settings, a terrible hard drive, or no RAM in your machine (if you have a Mac that you use for graphics work, and you haven't beefed up the RAM to at least 2 or 3GB, you're not enjoying your Mac anywhere near its potential).

The application is visibly faster, smoother, and more responsive than CS2 on it's best days on an Intel Mac. Now sure, the differences between CS2 on a Quad G5 and CS3 on an Intel MacPro might be less than expected right now, but read the fine print on the Beta site. This release doesn't include all of the acceleration features that the final one will... including full OpenGL support with more active use of the graphics card. They've activated this use, but it's not fully integrated yet. So, in English, this means that upon final release, any machine with a good graphics card will essentially have the bonus of adding another whole processing unit with it's own dedicated RAM along side your regular machine setup.

So please... everyone who was expecting a new Photoshop that actually designs for you, and all your work was actually ready before you even clicked the mouse... be realistic. This is an incredible boost in performance (and oh, by the way, it looks fantastic which is a huge improvement for those of us who spend all day inside the PS world). Just the mere fact that it loads up within 2 seconds on my machine is absolutely unreal. We literally laughed out loud in the office when that happened. If you've been a PS user all along, you remember well the good old days when that nifty PS splash screen would be staring you in the face sometimes for 20-30 seconds. And smart filters...? This feature is worth its weight in gold - the best thing Adobe has done in a LONG time.

Well done Adobe... don't listen to the cry babies.

I take it you dont use any cursors...no healing brush, clone stamp, paint brush, etc....because on an Intel Mac, the cursors dont show up...so its invisible....unusable....so they say you must run it in Rosetta to get your cursors...other than that...its marvelous....

clintob
Dec 16, 2006, 03:17 PM
I take it you dont use any cursors...no healing brush, clone stamp, paint brush, etc....because on an Intel Mac, the cursors dont show up...so its invisible....unusable....so they say you must run it in Rosetta to get your cursors...other than that...its marvelous....

As you said, you can use it under Rosetta if the cursors are that essential to your workflow. Even under Rosetta there is a notable increase in performance.

But more importantly, my post was in reference to speed. Hence the first sentence...

japanime
Dec 16, 2006, 04:24 PM
As you said, you can use it under Rosetta if the cursors are that essential to your workflow. Even under Rosetta there is a notable increase in performance.

Question is, does it crash all the time under Rosetta the way CS2 crashes all the time under Rosetta...

And the cursor thing is very annoying.

I guess it's a case of "be careful or you may get what you wish for."

:(

Multimedia
Dec 16, 2006, 04:29 PM
The Mac Pro is somewhat faster than the G5 Quad, but the G5 Quad is a fantastic machine for sure. I have both. I would never sell the G5 Quad -- it runs OS9 and all currrent Mac OS'es.

It hangs with the Mac Pro Quad 2.66.Agreed. Will be getting the 8 core Mac Pro when it ships with Leopard. But won't be selling my G5 Quad as I love it and it's a keeper as at least a good HDTV Recorder player. Just added the ATI Radeon X1900 GT Dual Dual Link DVI G5 Mac Edition PCI Express Video card with Rotation Support for Dell Monitors - including the 30" Dell and I now have a 1200 wide by 1600 high screen left of my 2560 x 1600 high 30" with my 1920 x 1200 natve HD 24" Dell on the right with room for one more screen.

dukebound85
Dec 16, 2006, 04:40 PM
how do you run it in rosetta?

jrhone
Dec 16, 2006, 05:00 PM
how do you run it in rosetta?

highlight the apps icon in your finder....Apple I, or get info from the file menu...you will see a box "Run under Rosetta"...check it...close the window...when you run it, it will run under Rosetta.

jrhone
Dec 16, 2006, 05:01 PM
Question is, does it crash all the time under Rosetta the way CS2 crashes all the time under Rosetta...

And the cursor thing is very annoying.

I guess it's a case of "be careful or you may get what you wish for."

:(

No crashes for me at all...but my CS2 never crashed either....

jrhone
Dec 16, 2006, 05:02 PM

But more importantly, my post was in reference to speed. Hence the first sentence...

Agreed...speedwise..its blazingly fast.....love that part...just not thrilled about the cursors....lol

Kendall015
Dec 16, 2006, 06:07 PM
Agreed. Will be getting the 8 core Mac Pro when it ships with Leopard. But won't be selling my G5 Quad as I love it and it's a keeper as at least a good HDTV Recorder player. Just added the ATI Radeon X1900 GT Dual Dual Link DVI G5 Mac Edition PCI Express Video card with Rotation Support for Dell Monitors - including the 30" Dell and I now have a 1200 wide by 1600 high screen left of my 2560 x 1600 high 30" with my 1920 x 1200 natve HD 24" Dell on the right with room for one more screen.

8,320,000 pixels...damn!

edenwaith
Dec 16, 2006, 11:04 PM

I recently looked into the issue of how far back one can upgrade. Despite Adobe's high price of its software, they have been pretty generous with the upgrades. My company just upgraded someone who had Photoshop 5.5 to Photoshop CS2.

In response to PS CS3, it asked for a previous license, and I tried two different codes (one for CS2 Standard Suite and another for PS CS2) and neither one worked. At least I can try the demo for now, I suppose.

But that install took forever! Man, that was dog slow. And it takes up 1.6 GB of space with all of the extras it adds on, as well (Bridge, stock photos, etc.). With newer computers, probably not something to worry about so much, but my computer is running out of space, so this is a concern. But PS 7 is still doing the job for what I need, but I suspect that Adobe will sell many, many copies of CS3, if only so people can run it on their new Intel Macs. I know that the driving force for PS7 for me was for the native OS X compatibility.

Bitman
Dec 16, 2006, 11:21 PM
In response to PS CS3, it asked for a previous license, and I tried two different codes (one for CS2 Standard Suite and another for PS CS2) and neither one worked. At least I can try the demo for now, I suppose.

... you have to activate cs3 online or over the phone in order to use the full version that doesnt expire in 2 days.

SPUY767
Dec 17, 2006, 10:23 AM
I'm sure someone's already said it but I can confirm that this app eats up all four cores, and we can only assume that means that it's fully multithreaded and would do the same on 8 cores.

AidenShaw
Dec 17, 2006, 12:25 PM
...this app eats up all four cores, and we can only assume that means that it's fully multithreaded and would do the same on 8 cores.
As a software engineer, I could come up with several other assumptions.... :rolleyes:

I guess you could get a Dell mini-tower with 8 cores (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_490?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz), and test your assumption with the Windows Vista version of CS3.... :eek:

SPUY767
Dec 17, 2006, 12:27 PM
As a software engineer, I could come up with several other assumptions.... :rolleyes:

I guess you could get a Dell mini-tower with 8 cores (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_490?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz), and test your assumption with the Windows Vista version of CS3.... :eek:

That a way to skewer me for trying to be an optimist.

Or I could just drop 2 kentsfields in my MacPro.

Besides, of all software companies, I think Adobe realizes that processors aren't getting any faster, they are growing horizontally in their ability to process multiple threads. If Adobe wants to remain competitive performance wise, they have no choice but to make applications work well with parallel cores.

AidenShaw
Dec 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
Or I could just drop 2 kentsfields in my MacPro..
No, but you could try two Clovertowns...

Besides, of all software companies, I think Adobe realizes that processors aren't getting any faster, they are growing horizontally in their ability to process multiple threads. If Adobe wants to remain competitive performance wise, they have no choice but to make applications work well with parallel cores.
True, but exploiting parallelism is a hard problem.

I'm sure that there are filters in CS3 that only keep one or two CPUs busy, or even fewer.

jawboneradio
Dec 17, 2006, 11:32 PM
I've used both my CS and CS2 serial number on the site and nothing works. Any other ideas?

mduser63
Dec 18, 2006, 01:59 AM
I've used both my CS and CS2 serial number on the site and nothing works. Any other ideas?

Contact Adobe?

MacsomJRR
Dec 21, 2006, 01:59 AM
I wanna know when the universal binary for Dreamweaver is gonna come out.. It's sooooooooooooo slow on my intel mac:(