Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Well last night i got one of those calendar of events from the apple store and noticed that the number of stores increased...so here are the stores that are opening in 2003, just thought some of you might want to know :D

Burlingame, California: Burlingame
Sacramento, California: Arden Fair
Santa Monica, California : Third Street Promenade
Walnut Creek, California : Walnut Creek
Boca Raton, Florida: Boca Raton
Honolulu, Hawaii: Ala Moana
Chicago, Illinois: North Michigan Avenue
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts: Chestnut Hill
Huntington Station, New York: Walt Whitman
Bellevue, Washington: Bellevue Square

which means that there are now:
14 Apple Stores in California (New York has the next largest amount of apple stores-7)
63 Apple Stores in the United States
but no Apple Stores in many states including Oregon, Utah, Idaho, most of the northern states, Louisiana, and Maine.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I think they'll have the perfect amount when there's one right next door to my house. :D

Hee hee...too bad the one nearest my house shut down recently...
attachment.php

DaedalusDE

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Long Island, NY
when i was in chicago a few weeks ago i saw a scaffold set up with an apple logo over it, right next to the sony store on the magnificent mile (its magnificant, not miracle right? one of thems in chicago the other's on long island). I cant wait till I go to college and hopefully get a job at Apple Store Chicago... right down the block from the ghirrardelli store (i totally butchered that name but whatever.)

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Folks

As you can see from my info, I'm live in Chicago, and I have been waiting for the Magnificent (yes, it's Magnificent not Miracle :) ) mile store for a while.

This is most definitely a flagship-level store with that famous staircase. However this one has taken so long as they pretty much leveled the old building on the site. The only thing that seemed to have preserved was the skeletal structure of the building.

It's just about done now, and I have a number of switchers to walk in the door.

BTW- Could it be three stories high? Hmm...

candan9019

macrumors regular
I'm kinda wondering about Canada. One store in each major Canadian City ( about 8) and you probably cover 70% of Canadians.
Yes I know California has almost as many people as Canada but...
Oh well Denver has 2 and im not complaning but when I move It would be nice.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by candan9019
I'm kinda wondering about Canada. One store in each major Canadian City ( about 8) and you probably cover 70% of Canadians.
Yes I know California has almost as many people as Canada but...
Oh well Denver has 2 and im not complaning but when I move It would be nice.
Apple's thinking of stores in other countries, you're not the only person who is complaining about the lack of Apple Stores outside of the United States. When Apple does indeed start opening stores, I'm pretty sure the first international stores are going to be in the UK and Canada, maybe Japan.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I'm suprised theres not one in Austin...its quite famous for being a cool place and very arty - apples main market of course. Also suprised at none in the likes of Jacksonville, I think thats a pretty dam big city isn't it?

Outside usa I wouldnt be suprised to see apple stores in the likes of London, Vancouver, Toronto, Sydney, Tokyo, Kyoto, Seoul, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid and Rome, possibly Milan.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Well i sure hope they come to Montréal soon, all the apple retailers around my house kinda suck.. they never ever have anything... (i still applied for a job there anyways,,,)

aethier

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by vniow
Hee hee...too bad the one nearest my house shut down recently...
attachment.php

which was was?

hm... are there really 7 apple stores in NY?

I can't name them all, Let see (don't look at the apple page cheaters :p):
Garden City, SoHo, Palisades... um... 3/7 I'm pretty bad...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
that's ****ed up. 14 stores in one state?! and there's not 1 in mine. and several others. i guess i understand doing it by population to an extent, but this is getting rediculous. Especially since Apple seems really blasé about their other retailers-- i think they're ignoring them since they have the apple stores going.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pnw

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by paulwhannel
that's ****ed up. 14 stores in one state?! and there's not 1 in mine. and several others. i guess i understand doing it by population to an extent, but this is getting rediculous. Especially since Apple seems really blasé about their other retailers-- i think they're ignoring them since they have the apple stores going.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pnw

Heh, no kidding, pretty much everybody here in California knows at least something about Macs, back when I lived in OK though, Macs were like an alien species or something, the first time I saw one was somewhere on the internet, and the first one I saw in real life was at a Fry's here in Cali, I never saw them in OK anywhere, Apple needs to spread around to the people that don't know what they are, not saturate the market where they already have a strong presence.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by MrMacman
which was was?

hm... are there really 7 apple stores in NY?

I can't name them all, Let see (don't look at the apple page cheaters :p):
Garden City, SoHo, Palisades... um... 3/7 I'm pretty bad...
the ones in new york:
albany, crossgates
buffalo, walden galleria
garden city, roosevelt field
huntington station, walt whitman (coming 2003)
new york, soho
west nyack, palisades
white plains, the westchester

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Are there any substantial reasons to prefer one Apple store to another? Do they all carry the same selection of the same products at the same prices and have the same setup to let you try before you buy?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Are there any substantial reasons to prefer one Apple store to another? Do they all carry the same selection of the same products at the same prices and have the same setup to let you try before you buy?

-Doc

Well, there are actually three teirs of Apple store right now:

The boutique - Little Tiny store E.G. OakBrook IL.
The Standard - Medium size and most common: Schaumburg, IL
The Flagship - Big, multifloor store in high priced real estate, rare, only three on the scope now: Michigan Avenue, SoHo, and L.A.

The selection differs little between them, but the amount of backstock is a big difference. Prices should be the same, sales tax, though, is not of course.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by patrick0brien
The Flagship - Big, multifloor store in high priced real estate, rare, only three on the scope now: Michigan Avenue, SoHo, and L.A.
you mean überpricey über-rare stores in places like Beverly Hills (technically the Apple Store @ the Grove is in beverly hills) where the store is nice and big and clean and wonderful but the geniuses are just as snotty as the people who live in the area

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've had good experiences with the salespeople I've talked to at The Grove. One impressed me with his knowledge of Final Cut Pro. He even gave me advice on when non-Apple monitors might suit me better than Apple's offerings. With salespeople, it's often the luck of the draw as to whether you get good help.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Expect big things from the Chicago store - that is a huge audience which is very open to "change" if it doesn't require driving to Schaumburg or Woodfield (two disgustingly large Malls about 45 minutes west).

The more Apple stores the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.