holy MAC!
May 3, 2003, 05:50 PM
i am about to dish out for a computer.... here are my options:

12 inch pbook with 640 ram, wireless, (no superdrive), 60 gig

or an 12 ibook, 640, wireless, 60 gig
+
30 gig ipod

now, the price is about the same....

so do any of you know sites that pitted the ibook 900 (or 800) with the 12 albook?

toughboy
May 3, 2003, 05:58 PM
well... hard decision...

let me tell you what.. in my opinion, 2 things should shape your decision about pbook&ibook..

1)Will i make movies with my comp?
2)do i want extreme performance in macosX?

if yes to these quest. then go n buy a albook but i would buy an ibook+iPod unless you dont have an ver.1 iPod already..

choice is yours of course.. :)

evil
May 3, 2003, 07:01 PM
how bout getting the 12 pbook and a 10 or 15 gig ipod? i have the 12 pbook. i like it a lot. well, who wouldnt?

hugemullens
May 3, 2003, 07:21 PM
http://www.macworld.com/2003/04/reviews/12inchpowerbook/

this shows a pretty big lead for the powerbook, and if you do a lot of what they tested, it would be well worth it. However for surfing the web, doing email, mosty everything except high end stuff, there wont be much difference between the 2. I'd get a powerbook and save up for a 15 gig ipod if it was me. But you wont be dissapointed with an ibook.

melchior
May 3, 2003, 08:19 PM
i would get the iBook, even the low-end has 32mb of vram.

altivec is the only major difference.

the iBook provides excellent value for money. more bang for you buck.

Kwyjibo
May 3, 2003, 09:00 PM
i love the iBook, its small, cool (looking and temp) and its durable. Plus having an ipod is awesome. something abot a white computer and white mp3 players amongst the dells and gateways at my school makes it stand out even more.

lmalave
May 3, 2003, 09:36 PM
My first and only Apple purchases so far have been the 800 MHz iBook and the 30 GB iPod, so you know which one I'm voting for :D

Seriously, I like my iBook's performance, but then again I'm not using iMovie and rarely use professional programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop. I'm a computer programmer, though, and I have greatly enjoyed using my iBook for both work (Java, SQL, Unix scripting, etc), and play (iTunes, DVD Player, Safari, etc.)

Gidman
May 3, 2003, 09:52 PM
I know this is the constant/eternal mac question and I have another for you. It seems like we are at a very intersting juncture in computing with Apple. I bought the powerbook for a couple of reasons. One when I used my PC I was a pretty hard-core user of the processor. Pictures, video, web, email, intenet and all at the same time. I guess I underesimated how the pricessor on the mac handles the oder of all thse instructions and the "addressing" of the processor power, Id that is at all correct.

Plus, I have always wanted the top of the line of whatver I buy.

i also thought that the G4 woudl be obsolete later than the G3. My obsersatvion is this though, it looks like all the processors are about to be obsolete.

Do you all really think that within a matter of months all of the new Al-books will be obsolete because of the new 970/G5 whatever they choose to call it?

Maybe I am really worried about buyers remorse, which I should just get over since i love my 12" PB wallet vacuum.

I also really, really want a 15 GB IPod for myself, but can't really convince myself I need it.

Gid

holy MAC!
May 4, 2003, 08:21 PM
i guess i should go with the pbook...... hm..... it can get VERY hot though....... and it lacks a L3........

holy MAC!
May 4, 2003, 08:22 PM
ok... i will be doing a lot of photoshop and web-deving with it... so i guess i should go with the pbook.... and i think i can pull up a 500 more,... so here is the new question:

15 albook (when it comes out)

or

12 inch pbook + ipod?

hugemullens
May 4, 2003, 08:32 PM
Thats mostly personal taste. I assume the 1ghz w/superdrive is out of the question, so your looking at the 867 15 or the 12 inch. Both have about equal 32mb video cards, the 15 does have an L3 cache though. the 15 inch pb would be a little faster, but not much. So its up to you, do you value the extra screen space for the extra cash??? I got a 12 incher and i have no regrets.

holy MAC!
May 4, 2003, 08:53 PM
ok... the current 15 is out of the question.... so don't even consider that....

so let's assume the following:

the next 15.4 pbook will have all the features of the 17 pbook, except the fiber optix.....

which setup will you choose??

ps i held the new ipod today.... wicked thin.....

hugemullens
May 4, 2003, 08:56 PM
i'd take the 12, its lighter, and the new 15's wont be any cheaper than the current ones. I would seriously consider picking up a tibook when the Alubook's come out.