PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Announcement on Monday?

starflyer
Dec 14, 2006, 06:42 PM
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/gizmodo-knows-iphone-will-be-released-on-monday-221991.php

SF

MattyMac
Dec 14, 2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/gizmodo-knows-iphone-will-be-released-on-monday-221991.php

SF
iWish

Steve Jobs Keynote is on MONDAY Jan. 8th isn't it?!?!?!

zap2
Dec 14, 2006, 06:54 PM
....this monday?

or on A monday?

Either way I can't believe it...I mean I would love to believe it THIS monday, but I doubt it

Electro Funk
Dec 14, 2006, 06:57 PM
I say its released on Thursday at 4:20 AM...

MattyMac
Dec 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
Anyone know if gizmodo has ever been a reliable source?

I'm sure it's a farse!

Jay42
Dec 14, 2006, 07:21 PM

interesting choice

MacRumors
Dec 14, 2006, 08:49 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Gizmodo claims (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/gizmodo-knows-iphone-will-be-announced-on-monday-221991.php) that the iPhone will be announced on Monday.

Gizmodo Knows: iPhone Will Be Announced On Monday
I guarantee it. It isn't what I expected at all. And I've already said too much. –Brian Lam

No further information is provided, but there is a clear implication that the iPhone is coming this Monday (December 18th).

Brian Lam is a an editor for Gizmodo (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1226872-5,00.html) and former assistant editor for Wired magazine. While such a short unqualified blurb would not usually get much credence, Gizmodo is a relatively well established gadget blog.

Despite this apparent confidence in this report, Gizmodo has no prior record of accurate rumors. Indeed, also working against Gizmodo is a previous teaser post (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/announcements/psstsomething-for-you-199931.php) also made by Brian Lam that implied that they had a scoop on an upcoming Apple product. This prompted speculation (http://digg.com/apple/Gizmodo_scoops_Apple_Showtime_event) and subsequent disappointment (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=232701) with the announcement was about Tivo 3.0 and not an Apple product.

hyperpasta
Dec 14, 2006, 08:53 PM
The monday before Xmas??? When you could just wait for MWSF?

I say no. Still, I wonder.

arn
Dec 14, 2006, 08:54 PM
We'll see...

obviously, if this was posted on "Joe's Blog", it wouldn't get any credence at all.

Gizmodo has some "rep" to lose if they are wrong.

arn

miketcool
Dec 14, 2006, 08:56 PM
On Monday, in the year forever-from-now.

I say boo to this.

MovieCutter
Dec 14, 2006, 08:57 PM
W00T, one of my threads FINALLY made the front page!!!

failsafe1
The Monday before Christmas sure would generate a lot of extra revenue! Maybe they need to off set the downward spiral of iTunes? Just kidding about iTunes.:D

CrackedButter
As far as I'm concerned, it'll happen when it happens, I'm in no rush. I'm becoming bored of the same rumours every year. I'll just wait till MacWorld.

Peace
Folks are getting bamboozled here!!

All he says is "Released on Monday"..That could be any Monday.Jan 15th is Monday also.

But it does coincide with the discovery of the answering machine in Leopard.

Fool me once.Shame on you.
Fool me twice and you won't get fooled again!!
--King George the Jr.

Iggy
Dec 14, 2006, 08:58 PM
I just sat on a pencil and it protruded right through my *******. If only I had iChat video on my phone, then I could show all my friends the severity of this altercation.

asphalt-proof
Dec 14, 2006, 08:59 PM
That's quite a statement to make considering all the hype surrounding this product. I would say that he must be feeling very confident in order to maintain ANY credibility. Especially with all the whoring for the Webbies he has been doing lately. I'd say he must be onto something with this statement.

OdduWon
Dec 14, 2006, 09:00 PM

LOL at that specific time in the morning(cough!) anything can happ......whoa my hands...their sooo big......they can touch anything but themselves:p

Zolk
Dec 14, 2006, 09:01 PM
Apple typically announces products on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, not Mondays.

CrackedButter
Dec 14, 2006, 09:01 PM
Anyone know if gizmodo has ever been a reliable source?

I'm sure it's a farse!

You mean farce.

xnu
Dec 14, 2006, 09:02 PM
I am no genius, and I would love to see the phone on Monday, but this looks like an attempt to effect aapl dec options to me. Someone must have Dec 90's.

KingYaba
Dec 14, 2006, 09:03 PM
The iPhone will be released. I guarantee it. ;)

p0intblank
Dec 14, 2006, 09:04 PM
Well that's a pretty bold statement. If the iPhone isn't announced this upcoming Monday, someone's making the naughty list. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I would love to see this happen. However, I can't see Apple releasing such a big product so close to Christmas.

MovieCutter
Dec 14, 2006, 09:05 PM
Ok, no chance this is real. This is another of Jobs' pet projects, and he's gonna let it loose with no fanfare? He wouldn't pass up the chance to say "It's stunning" or "It's the best product we've ever designed" or "Boom". If there was an event, invitations would have been sent this week. Fake...

Rocketman
Dec 14, 2006, 09:08 PM
If this is true it makes good sense. Apple has stated they will release procucts "as available" rather than when a scheduled news event is expected. They have been sticking to that.

Further, pre-Christmas makes much more sense than post-Christmas, especially since this is an introductory product WITH, what many might agree, is a pent-up demand, at ANY price.

High prices good. Low prices bad. For Steevie and stockholders :)

"The more you pay the more it is worth." - truism

Rocketman

Tork
Dec 14, 2006, 09:09 PM
It's listed as their "Top Story." It's risky: awful big credibility hit if their wrong...

asphalt-proof
Dec 14, 2006, 09:09 PM
I was just thinking how genuis this could be for Apple sales this Christmas. Most people who are giving iPods have already bought them so this release wouldn't necessarily cannabilize the regular iPods. On the other hand, it could be just the opposite. Because everybody bought an iPod already, no sales, or Apple gets flooded with a bunch of returns. hmmm. Quite a conundrum.

kresh
Dec 14, 2006, 09:11 PM

SF

Gizmodo does not claim it's an Apple product. I suspect it's some knock off crap, and if Apple has not protected the trade name we'll be stuck with some piece of trash called the iPhone.

theBB
Dec 14, 2006, 09:12 PM
Apple typically announces products on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, not Mondays.
I believe cell phones get released on Mondays. This might be just another Motorola iTunes phone.

MattyMac
Dec 14, 2006, 09:13 PM
Awesome, this made page 1

daneoni
Dec 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
Highly unlikely but probable as Apple may want to cash in on late christmas shopping. However i think this is a publicity stunt to get more hits at Gizmodo.

utilizer
Dec 14, 2006, 09:16 PM
This claim is nuts...I say this is a ploy by Apple to shed light and blow the cover off of a mole talking too much to media outlets.

Could be wrong, but come on, the week before Christmas? Too much bad PR would be generated from this one. :p

PODshady
Dec 14, 2006, 09:19 PM
OK... I HIGHLY DOUBT that the iPhone is going to be released this Monday. When Apple is about to release a high profile product such as iPhone they send out invitations to members of the press to attend the special event... I HIGHLY DOUBT that Apple would choose to release such a high profile product without having a special press event for it and as far as I know there has been no such announcement to the press

Xtremehkr
Dec 14, 2006, 09:20 PM
As far as the pricing goes, I don't know why Apple should be held to a different standard. Like Bose, (among others) Apple produces products that are of a high quality and have to charge more for the effort that goes into designing industry leading products that are most consistently of a higher quality. Even in examples where Apple is not first to the market, the products they choose to sell in any market are most often the best products amongst what Apples competitors have to offer. At least in markets like cell phones, the price can be offset with discounts that will be made up in the long run through attracting subscribers. Would it be wrong to group Apple amongst other brands that have no problems justifying what they charge for their products? Most often, you are getting what you pay for. The product is most often worth the price.

Unlike Bose though, Apple consistently adds new ideas and technology.

SpaceJello
Dec 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
I am highly skeptical, especially with the load of shuffle ads.

With that said, imagine a Monday annoucement with all the news that day and the days after going on and on about the Apple iphone. That's like saving millions in advertising during the holidays (I am sure TV time is more precious now).

But would the public catch on the news quick enough for the holiday sales?

Zwhaler
Dec 14, 2006, 09:23 PM
Gosh that would be nice. But it seems all the new phones never seem to make it to Verizon Wireless...

MattyMac
Dec 14, 2006, 09:23 PM
You mean farce.

Yup!

caliguy
Dec 14, 2006, 09:28 PM
The Monday before Christmas sure would generate a lot of extra revenue! Maybe they need to off set the downward spiral of iTunes? Just kidding about iTunes.:D

Yeah, that's what would make me give credit to this. Apple does get as much revenue with their keynote after Christmas. Hopefully this'll be a nice surprise.

Tork
Methinks they're just trying to get some publicity.

mathiew
That's totaly amazing the number of comments that have been posted here...
Simply look at the Gizmodo homepage and you'll see that the site has been HACKED, it's pretty obvious!
Don't worry, the iPhone or whatever will NOT be announced this monday.

bdkennedy1
I don't know about this. This is a big deal and Apple hasn't even scheduled a press conference or anything.

MattyMac
Perhaps Apple is under some kind of contract or copyright that legally binds them to release the phone before the end of 2006???

gugy
Dec 14, 2006, 09:29 PM
well, if it's true then we are going to have a very interesting and exciting MWSF!:eek:

xUKHCx
Dec 14, 2006, 09:30 PM
I think it will be released at least a fortnight after Christmas day, this will mean all those iPod received on Christmas day will be ineligible for return (at least in the UK).

aiongiant
Dec 14, 2006, 09:30 PM
i too think this is very doubtful to come out this Monday but who knows

i'm sure alot of ppl will still buy the product nomatter when they release it
like myself haha

also thats true theres no key note or no press for the release for such a high profile apple product
althought i don't think apple need much marketing with the iphone since a ton of ppl have been talking about it

maybe Apple wants to get a product out to seperate from thiere other products coming out in Jan

MattyMac
Dec 14, 2006, 09:32 PM
Simply look at the Gizmodo homepage and you'll see that the site has been HACKED, it's pretty obvious!
hmmm...yeah it looks like you are right, bummer:(

DJ OJ
Maybe just because of this, apple will postpone it....

:)

thejadedmonkey

What are you talking about? There's articles about USB Pole dancers on there every other week!:rolleyes:

QCassidy352
Dec 14, 2006, 09:34 PM
i'll eat my hat if it's true. But I'm not getting out the ketchup yet... :rolleyes:

macg4dude
Dec 14, 2006, 09:37 PM
Here's my take on this announcment: (Just my opinion)

*Apple doesn't release products on a Monday.
*Apple doesn't release products this close to Christmas.
*The release date "Monday" is too close to Macworld.
*Steve Jobs' Keynote speech has never been on a "Monday"(that I have seen)

If Apple releases a product for the holiday season, they would have done it with the release of the new iPod Nanos. Steve Jobs Keynote speech date is posted here: http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO07A/keynotes I have never seen the Keynote Speech on "Monday". I don't believe the "iPhone" will be release this Monday, BUT Apple always likes to add the element of "surprise". I guess we'll see on "Monday", whichever "Monday" that is.

aiongiant
yea they had that pole dancer not too long ago haha

they can still send out invites to press conference tomorow maybe or maybe weekend
i'm not sure how early apple sends out invites to theire press conference but seems to me still have time

dornoforpyros
ummm 5 days before christmas? seems like a very odd time to release a new product. Even if it's not available for a few weeks in to January this still seems like odd timing.

mathiew
What are you talking about? There's articles about USB Pole dancers on there every other week!:rolleyes:

Ok... forgot what I said! :o
But that's impossible for Apple to launch or even announce such a product "now", this next Monday, just before Xmas. Think about it...

topgun072003
Dec 14, 2006, 09:38 PM
I don't know about this. This is a big deal and Apple hasn't even scheduled a press conference or anything.

That's true...I mean, I don't think that they'll just put it on the front page of the apple store. Also it is VERY close to Christmas...I think its a little too close.

MattyMac
Dec 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
yea they had that pole dancer not too long ago haha

they can still send out invites to press conference tomorow maybe or maybe weekend
i'm not sure how early apple sends out invites to theire press conference but seems to me still have time
I think their track record has been about a week in advance...

DTphonehome
Dec 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
If this is true it makes good sense. Apple has stated they will release procucts "as available" rather than when a scheduled news event is expected. They have been sticking to that.

For speed bumps, maybe, but for a MAJOR product like the iPhone? Can't be. Unless they have a whole new product announcement strategy.

aiongiant
Dec 14, 2006, 09:40 PM
they did say announce not actually release?

Nuc
Dec 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
Why is there patent of a vibrator on their website. A little weird: Link (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/is-this-the-first-vibrator-patent-222027.php)

Nuc

MattyMac
Dec 14, 2006, 09:42 PM

That's fine with me...I would love to see the specs for this and count down the days until we would actually recieve it!!!

iCaffeine
Dec 14, 2006, 09:43 PM
Why is there patent of a vibrator on their website. A little weird: Link (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/is-this-the-first-vibrator-patent-222027.php)

Nuc

because its a gizmo :eek:

Stridder44
Dec 14, 2006, 09:47 PM

Ah-HA! Now THIS I can believe. That makes a lot more sense too. Personally, I welcome our iPhone overlords.

Tork
Dec 14, 2006, 09:48 PM

This is a good point. They set a bit of a precedent when they announced the iTV. Perhaps if Apple decided to become a MVNO, they'd have to file something with the FCC? Releasing a cell phone itself requires FCC approval. Maybe Apple wants to announce the iPhone project before all the details come out in some FCC report.

Yoursh
Dec 14, 2006, 09:49 PM

If (and I mean if) this is real, it would most likely just be an anouncement. I could see Apple doing this in reaction to all the rumors flying around concerning an iphone. They may be wanting to nip all the speculation and leaks in the bud before they have any negative stock affects. Nothing would be worse then for the rumors to continue to build and then for Apple to release something that can't possibly meet those ecspectations. That could hurt the stock negatively. So this might be some sort of preemptive strike on their part, once again only, if this is true.

MattyMac
Dec 14, 2006, 09:50 PM
This is a good point. They set a bit of a precedent when they announced the iTV. Perhaps if Apple decided to become a MVNO, they'd have to file something with the FCC? Releasing a cell phone itself requires FCC approval. Maybe Apple wants to announce the iPhone project before all the details come out in some FCC report.

I hope they announce it like the did the 2G shuffle...expected shipping in October...not like the iTV that didn't even appear on the website.

aiongiant
Dec 14, 2006, 09:50 PM
yea i'm guessing thats what it is...
maybe for the FCC but it could also be for marketing also generate even more press about it they won't even need to spend money on marketing!

either way this is exciting hehe IF it's real lol

DTphonehome
Dec 14, 2006, 09:53 PM
If (and I mean if) this is real, it would most likely just be an anouncement. I could see Apple doing this in reaction to all the rumors flying around concerning an iphone. They may be wanting to nip all the speculation and leaks in the bud before they have any negative stock affects. Nothing would be worse then for the rumors to continue to build and then for Apple to release something that can't possibly meet those ecspectations. That could hurt the stock negatively. So this might be some sort of preemptive strike on their part, once again only, if this is true.

As a stockholder, I've been concerned about that possibility myself. All this hype, and if it doesn't come to pass, the stock plunges. You have a good point.

Tork
Dec 14, 2006, 09:55 PM
yea i'm guessing thats what it is...
maybe for the FCC but it could also be for marketing also generate even more press about it they won't even need to spend money on marketing!

The iPhone news has turned from speculation about upcoming iPhone features to iPhone speculation getting out of hand. Apple could heap some proverbial coals onto the fire with an announcement.

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 09:58 PM
I would think that all these rumours will land closely to each other but they aren't.
What is stopping these analysts from making random speculation?
We should plot a chart of these analysts of how many times their speculation come true, or false. Then everytime they say something, attach the link of the chart to it. It's meant to discredit those that make random speculations, and prevent us from setting high hopes..

i think we should..

orion123
Dec 14, 2006, 09:59 PM

Are you kidding me? That would pretty much wipe out at least 1/3-1/2 of remaining iPod sales between now and the release while people wait for it to come. That's a 100% not gonna happen.

Yoursh
Dec 14, 2006, 10:00 PM
All this hype, and if it doesn't come to pass, the stock plunges.

That's what I've been thinking. With all the stock analyst already certain that their is a iphone on the way, they are all figureing that into the projected stock value into next year. If this continues, and Apple doesn't release what they've come to expect will be released, they will start to downgrade Apple's stock for no reason other than their over expectations.

Stridder44
Dec 14, 2006, 10:01 PM
Watch, there is no iPhone and all this iPhone rumor stuff was just meant as a distraction for us so Apple could unveil something completely different. :p

ipearx
Dec 14, 2006, 10:03 PM
...that integrates with iChat :)

http://bla.st/apple/

puckhead193
Dec 14, 2006, 10:05 PM
seems odd, why do it then, what not at MWSF, unless MWSF is so super this year they don't have time for a stupid iphone announcement :p

iEric
Dec 14, 2006, 10:06 PM
even though it hasn't been speculated to have a camera, but if it does and if it's over 1.3 MP, i'm getting the iPhone. i can't wait for monday...but i can cause i have a bio exam that day. sad.

Yonizzle
Gizmodo does not claim it's an Apple product. I suspect it's some knock off crap, and if Apple has not protected the trade name we'll be stuck with some piece of trash called the iPhone.

I think the above-quoted post captures the significance of the Gizmodo story. People have been using "iPhone" for Apple's cell phone as a convenience, but there's not solid evidence that it'll actually be called that, and I was under the impression that someone else holds the rights to the name. So maybe Lam knows about a product that's actually called "iPhone" and will be announced on Monday. Gizmodo holds their own and is not going to suffer huge drops in traffic when one of their editors plays a little joke on fanboys.

P.S. That last time he made the hint about the TiVo update, I didn't expect it to be about Apple at all. He said before the Apple event, but I didn't think he was implying a connection. And TiVo news, especially HD-related, is big news to a lot of Giz's readers..

IDANNY
I am skeptical but if it does happen that would be excellent

Whyren
Dec 14, 2006, 10:08 PM
Are you kidding me? That would pretty much wipe out at least 1/3-1/2 of remaining iPod sales between now and the release while people wait for it to come. That's a 100% not gonna happen.

Of course they could announce that iPhone will be an accessory to current iPods (say only the newer video ones), and sales could go up.

arn
Dec 14, 2006, 10:08 PM
So maybe Lam knows about a product that's actually called "iPhone" and will be announced on Monday. Gizmodo holds their own and is not going to suffer huge drops in traffic when one of their editors plays a little joke on fanboys.

It's tagged with "Apple" "Cellphones" "iPhone"

arn

OdduWon
Dec 14, 2006, 10:09 PM
as long as it dosen't squirt anything i think it will be great :D

aside: dosen't the Macrumors logo look like conan obrien???????

sandau
Dec 14, 2006, 10:12 PM
oh well, you want to wait for v2.0 anyway, so no news here....

puuukeey
Dec 14, 2006, 10:14 PM
I know for a fact that the iphone will have the following features
• can be used as a wii controller via PS3 adapter
• perfect for dating
• built in holodeck
• will be previously released in 5th quarter '08
• wirelessly installs virus and all zune
• UMPCs quiver in its presence
• kills insects with out pesticides
• totally void of any inspiration
• has nothing to do with kfed
• open source security features
• automatically emails you fark updates
• recognizes morse code and swahili
• free harmonic fingerprint recognition mobilization engine
• lengthens your commute in seconds
• noise cancelation
• runs on love
• rechargeable indestructible exploding lithium ion photon battery
• built in SCSI zip DAT minidisc and floppy drive
• liquid cooled
• tamagotchi jenga and sodoku
• its pin compatible with amd ppc motorola and GSM phones
• stereoscopic goggles
• Java Basic C++ Logo smalltalk and TCP/IP/I really gotta pee.
• blood tests with out painful pin pricks
• support vonage and skype
• 5 blade action
• runs on pure corn (not biodiesil, just plain corn)
• recieves faxes
• more than just a name
• direct integration with iTV
• force feeds starving babies in africa metal shavings
• prevents proliferation treaties
• brews the perfect cappuccino
• multitouch 3d oled display with 40,000 songs
• hdmi port which plugs into your face!!!!!!
• fight off terr'ists.
• USB PLIAR WIRE
• fios dsl cable compatible
• more energy efficient, consumer friendly and lowers the bottom line
• built in mic pre amps
• teledildonics
• future proof
• anti life and anti choice
• so zen that it's not there
• comes in every color and a (RED) version
• causes and prevents Cancer, Parkinson's and birth defects
• ask your doctor if iPhone is right for you
• ichat av
• full of zagat resteraunt reviews
• signs checks with laser etching
•iTunes built in to the purpose built hardware
•surfs the web with firefox and QT
• reminds you to take your pills
•better syncing with ical, iLife, Ideath, and iWork, and iSocialSecurity!
• voice control, voice synthesis, brail and esperanto
• eats kitties
• automatically downloads the latest harry potter and tiny nibbles
• integrated second life.
•complete support you tube enabled footwear!!!!
• syncs your ical with the latest presidential scandals
•SDIF, WAVE,SDII,AIFF,RAW, mp1, mp2 mp3 mp4, ogg vorbis and throgs neck, 1300 kbps per second!!!!evendy levin!
• going to play nintendo DS games with the multitouch 3d display and
• compatibility with windows, 3d studio max and built in google
•come in white plastic, black and red Utube version and special all black marilyn manson version fully loaded with nietze audio books
• the second version will be in the platinum and titanium.
• does dialup
• talking moose
* its going to expand the apple brand into the toaster territory
• it will never be released in france
• HAHA NEWTONS!!!!
• eats palm treos and has little gadget sex with side kicks
• plugs straight into your new icar,VW beetle, PT cruiser, and dodge neon.... Hi.
• expandable, future proof and retractable
• the batteries have gun powder in them
• it's got a virtual jeff raskin on it.
• taser and pepper spray
• 96 kHz 24bit with thousands of colors.
• backward sideways and forward compatible
• its all offloaded on to the graphics card.
• act now and get a free pass to the front of the genius bar line
• incompatible with verizon
• blows moores law out of the water
• HD DVD BluRay CD and 8track compatible
• gets its time from an international universal atomic clock server in cupertino HQ
• mapquest on star and RSS feeds and pod/vid/textcasts
• screen saver module with flying toasters.
• exclusively on verizon network
• boss mode
• anti virus software so hackers dont steal you "home made" pornos
• the DRM code adds nin terabytes to the phone totaling 9 extra lbs
• it slices it dices and for god sake stop this fricken rumor

If you experience chest pain, crashes, nausea, fatal errors, or any other discomforts during email or sex, seek immediate medical help. The most common side effects of iPhone use are headache, facial flushing, and upset stomach, and strained eyes. Less commonly, bluish vision, blurred vision, or sensitivity to light may briefly occur. In rare instances, men using iPhone (oral erectile dysfunction medicines, including iPhone) reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to these medicines or to other factors. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision, stop using iPhone, including iPhone, and call a doctor right away.

Although erections lasting for more than 4 hours may occur rarely with all ED treatments in this drug class, to avoid long-term injuries, it is important to seek immediate medical help.

If you are older than age 65, or have serious liver or kidney problems, your doctor may start you at iPhoneShuffle. If you are taking protease inhibitors, such as for the treatment of HIV, your doctor may recommend a 25-mg dose and may limit you to a maximum single dose of 25 mg of iPhone in a 48-hour period.

pahladaan
Dec 14, 2006, 10:17 PM
Why would Apple kill the sales of current iPod during prime Chrsitmas holiday season? -- Unless iPhone would be available immediately ... ?

Yonizzle
Dec 14, 2006, 10:17 PM
It's tagged with "Apple" "Cellphones" "iPhone"

arn

w00t! I got quoted by the arn!

Anyway, I still think it's a prank. Something about the combination of nonchalance and evasive language, combined with the general semi-seriousness of Gizmodo's writing style. I mean, they pump out a lot of gadget news, but I think people also turn to them (and pretty much any Gawker Media property) for entertainment value...

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 10:18 PM
did u copy that from somewhere?
if not how long did it took you to come up with that?

puuukeey
Dec 14, 2006, 10:22 PM
did u copy that from somewhere?
if not how long did it took you to come up with that?

it started at about half the length as a response to about the trillionth iphone rumor.. its grown since then this is it's third incarnation

SiliconAddict
Dec 14, 2006, 10:22 PM
I call bull. Nothing about an announcement on Monday makes sense. Heck nothing until next year makes sense. At this point in time your average consumer has blown their proverbial money wad with Holiday shopping. Anyone who is signing up for a new contract for a phone for their kid, wife, whatnot has probably done it or is very close to doing it. It serves no purpose to announce that they are shipping the iPhone Monday.
And lets play devils advocate. An announcement on Monday would be for a shipping date later on in '07. That would make even less sense since the announcement is going to be buried with the approach of x-mas.
Finally if Apple is finally throwing their hat into the mobile phone market does anyone. I mean anyone think they wouldn't have an "event"? I'm not talking MWSF, even though that is a possibility, but some special event for its launch. I mean for the love of all that is holy they have done it with pretty much everything else. The movie store and the iPod with Video? Does anyone really think they wouldn't try and spin the same hype over a phone they developed?
Again I ball bull hockey on this.

Why would Apple kill the sales of current iPod during prime Chrsitmas holiday season? -- Unless iPhone would be available immediately ... ?

they wouldn't kill the sales. The Phone is a substantially different beast.

I know for a fact that the iphone will have the following features
• can be used as a wii controller via PS3 adapter
• perfect for dating
• built in holodeck
• will be previously released in 5th quarter '08
• wirelessly installs virus and all zune
blah blah blah...

Pure brilliance. :D

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 10:25 PM
I call bull. Nothing about an announcement on Monday makes sense. Heck nothing until next year makes sense. At this point in time your average consumer has blown their proverbial money wad with Holiday shopping. Anyone who is signing up for a new contract for a phone for their kid, wife, whatnot has probably done it or is very close to doing it. It serves no purpose to announce that they are shipping the iPhone Monday.
And lets play devils advocate. An announcement on Monday would be for a shipping date later on in '07. That would make even less sense since the announcement is going to be buried with the approach of x-mas.
Finally if Apple is finally throwing their hat into the mobile phone market does anyone. I mean anyone think they wouldn't have an "event"? I'm not talking MWSF, even though that is a possibility, but some special event for its launch. I mean for the love of all that is holy day have done it with pretty much everything else. The movie store and the iPod with Video. Does anyone really think they wouldn't try and spin the same hype over a phone they developed?
Again I ball bull hockey on this.

they wouldn't kill the sales. The Phone is a substantially different beast.

i agree.. we should start flaming that guy on Monday so he never opens his mouth again.. since he 'guarantee's it

Whyren
Dec 14, 2006, 10:29 PM
If you experience chest pain, crashes, nausea, fatal errors, or any other discomforts during email or sex, seek immediate medical help. The most common side effects of iPhone use are headache, facial flushing, and upset stomach, and strained eyes. Less commonly, bluish vision, blurred vision, or sensitivity to light may briefly occur. In rare instances, men using iPhone (oral erectile dysfunction medicines, including iPhone) reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to these medicines or to other factors. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision, stop using iPhone, including iPhone, and call a doctor right away.

Although erections lasting for more than 4 hours may occur rarely with all ED treatments in this drug class, to avoid long-term injuries, it is important to seek immediate medical help.

If you are older than age 65, or have serious liver or kidney problems, your doctor may start you at iPhoneShuffle. If you are taking protease inhibitors, such as for the treatment of HIV, your doctor may recommend a 25-mg dose and may limit you to a maximum single dose of 25 mg of iPhone in a 48-hour period.

Caution: Do not taunt iPhone.

ChrisA
Dec 14, 2006, 10:33 PM
...I guarantee it...

Does this mean we all get our money back if he is wrong?

ipearx
Dec 14, 2006, 10:35 PM
I bet it's an wifi phone that integrates with iChat, whenever it comes out. Makes perfect sense. They are already pretty good at putting wifi in small spaces and streaming audio over it (airport express). The other option is a bluetooth phone, although that doesn't sound quite as exciting really. Plus more macs would have wifi I would guess. They already have the software on almost all macs. What would be really cool is if it is both a wifi and cellular phone in one.

http://bla.st/mac/

tcrab
Dec 14, 2006, 10:35 PM
So buy stock now? lol it might be a good idea

SiliconAddict
Dec 14, 2006, 10:36 PM
Caution: Do not taunt iPhone.

First rule of iPhone is, you DO NOT talk about iPhone. :p On sure. But NEVER about!

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 10:36 PM
Does this mean we all get our money back if he is wrong?
maybe you can sue him for causing emotional damage.. if it turns out to be false

aswitcher
Dec 14, 2006, 10:38 PM
Are we sure this isn't a hack?

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 10:40 PM
Are we sure this isn't a hack?
a hack?

DTphonehome
Dec 14, 2006, 10:42 PM
So buy stock now? lol it might be a good idea

1998 would have been a pretty good time to buy.

MacVault
Dec 14, 2006, 10:43 PM
I'll be suprised if we see it this Monday, but that would be great because that would leave more time in the Macworld Keynote for other cool announcements!

aswitcher
Dec 14, 2006, 10:44 PM
a hack?

Gizmodo website being hacked...

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 10:44 PM
1998 would have been a pretty good time to buy.
if only iphone has time-machine function so you can call back in time

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 10:45 PM
Gizmodo website being hacked...
i think if it's hacked.. news of it will surface very fast...

DTphonehome
Dec 14, 2006, 10:49 PM
if only iphone has time-machine function so you can call back in time

No, that feature isn't invented until 2546, with the introduction of the Crank Prank Time Phone.

Cookie for anyone who gets that reference.

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 10:51 PM
No, that feature isn't invented until 2546, with the introduction of the Crank Prank Time Phone.

Cookie for anyone who gets that reference.
southpark S10E13 .. where's my cookie ??

cvaldes
Dec 14, 2006, 11:03 PM
Sounds like B.S.

The timing is wrong. Generally speaking, Apple doesn't announce new product on Mondays. Also, it's way too close to Christmas and uncomfortably close to Macworld SF. Their normal M.O. would be to save something of this caliber for MWSF.

Plus the fact that there is no indication that the FCC has approved the iPhone(s). This fact by itself is more than sufficient to cast a huge shadow of doubt on Gizmodo's claim.

Perhaps it was DigiTimes who started this rumor?

AppliedVisual
Dec 14, 2006, 11:08 PM
I think the above-quoted post captures the significance of the Gizmodo story. People have been using "iPhone" for Apple's cell phone as a convenience, but there's not solid evidence that it'll actually be called that, and I was under the impression that someone else holds the rights to the name.

I just had a dreadful thought... What if iPhone is an Apple product, but it's not a "phone"? What if it's something more of an extension to the iTunes store and iTunes software that would allow users of various networks/providers to download iTunes' iPhone applet for their mobile devices and use it to load, manage and buy from the iTunes store? Suddenly Verizon users like me could download an iTunes applet for our LG Chocolate and use our iTunes account and existing iTunes library to fill our phone with content instead of being stuck with VCast... Hmmmm...

OK, maybe I'm way off base, but really... What if....? :confused:

Edit: ...And even though I said it's a dreadful thought, I would probably welcome such a thing. VCast sucks and I hate having to use a PC at the office just to load a new ring tone since Verizon / LG doesn't support OSX -- lest I use BitPim and twiddle with my phones data files manually.

maverick18x
Dec 14, 2006, 11:12 PM
Not a chance. First and foremost, this is Jobs' pet project. He's not going to release it or even announce that it exists without some major fanfare. There's not enough time to get people together. And then there's the whole monday thing. What's the most significant thing Apple has ever done on a monday? Bump some specs? I don't see them changing anything in their lineup until after the first of the year.

I'm calling bull on this one. The iPhone will be landing at Macworld, no sooner, no later.

DTphonehome
Dec 14, 2006, 11:13 PM
southpark S10E13 .. where's my cookie ??

Bravo!

http://wiki.coolmon.org/files/cookie.jpg

DTphonehome
Dec 14, 2006, 11:15 PM
...What if it's something more of an extension to the iTunes store and iTunes software that would allow users of various networks/providers to download iTunes' iPhone applet for their mobile devices and use it to load, manage and buy from the iTunes store? Suddenly Verizon users like me could download an iTunes applet for our LG Chocolate and use our iTunes account and existing iTunes library to fill our phone with content instead of being stuck with VCast...

Riiiiiight....as if Verizon would want to give you a way to avoid using their money-making service.

xsnightclub
Dec 14, 2006, 11:16 PM
Maybe iPhone is just the secret codename for the past rumored Asteroid BreakoutBox.

Asteroid on Monday.

kalisphoenix
Dec 14, 2006, 11:16 PM
I just had a dreadful thought... What if iPhone is an Apple product, but it's not a "phone"? What if it's something more of an extension to the iTunes store and iTunes software that would allow users of various networks/providers to download iTunes' iPhone applet for their mobile devices and use it to load, manage and buy from the iTunes store? Suddenly Verizon users like me could download an iTunes applet for our LG Chocolate and use our iTunes account and existing iTunes library to fill our phone with content instead of being stuck with VCast... Hmmmm...

OK, maybe I'm way off base, but really... What if....? :confused:

Edit: ...And even though I said it's a dreadful thought, I would probably welcome such a thing. VCast sucks and I hate having to use a PC at the office just to load a new ring tone since Verizon / LG doesn't support OSX -- lest I use BitPim and twiddle with my phones data files manually.

For a second, I was like "What an idiot..." and then I started thinking about it with an open mind.

Yeah -- that would be really neat. And it might even be really smart of Apple to do it. And it's damn smart of you, thinking laterally like that.

But... I don't think there's any DRM sufficient to allow that sort of thing, especially since most phones (I think) only play mp3s. Not to mention the fun of trying to buy a song with a cell phone (*taps out his credit card number and address on that stupid little keypad*).

So in a different universe, where phones played AACs and subscribed to Apple's DRM, sure -- that would actually be pretty incredible, even, since it'd be cheaper to download a whole song than download the ringtone from any other service -- but I don't think it'd work in reality.

kalisphoenix
Dec 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
Riiiiiight....as if Verizon would want to give you a way to avoid using their money-making service.

Verizon wouldn't be able to say a damn thing about it -- that's the point. Any schmoe with a phone capable of connecting to their PC or Mac could use it.

scu
Dec 14, 2006, 11:29 PM
If this actually takes place, it would mean that Apple was left behind the 8 ball by the manufacture once again. They wanted to release it well before christmas now they are left with one week left. Or it could be that they wanted all the iPods sold first before adding one last competitor.

MacWorld will be about video and Leopard. iPhone would distract too much attention. Releasing it now will take away the distraction.

I hope it is announced and released, because I will finally get what I wanted for Christmas.:D

pyramid6
Dec 14, 2006, 11:34 PM
It's probably VOIP to telephone as part of iChat as part of the new Mac OS X.

Secrete features, and all that.

xsnightclub
Dec 14, 2006, 11:35 PM
I hope it comes in brown. :rolleyes:

Thataboy
Dec 14, 2006, 11:36 PM
They don't claim it is an Apple product. Doesn't someone other company release under the iPhone name?

Between that and the questionable Monday scenario, I get the feeling that this is an intentional misdirection to get web traffic, but then hide behind the literal words of the article.

AppleIntelRock
Dec 14, 2006, 11:36 PM
Hopefully it means "a monday" and not "next monday." Otherwise, I'm thinking this guy way overly confident for nothing.

AppliedVisual
Dec 14, 2006, 11:38 PM

Actually, Verizon has really opened up over the past 6 months or so with newer phone releases. I can already fill my phone with all the MP3 and WMA files I want, even video clips too... Simply by copying them to the memory card and then popping the card into the phone. Verizon no longer requires you to pay $0.25 to retreive the pictures to you take by emailing to yourself (or someone else) as they can be dumped to the memory cards. ...A few of their phones now support USB and Bluetooth file transfer too for both pics and music... The catch is that OSX users are still left out of the latter two methods (without annoying work-arounds) because the software is all Windows-only.

...And it's not like it would be cheating Verizon (or other carriers) out of their money making service. The iTunes/store interface would still require mobile web service to operate, which still generates air time charges in many situations and other fees. Why would they care if you're getting music and/or videos from another source since they probably already up-sold you a data/web plan and may even be charging you minutes to use it???

But the biggest stumbling block to something like this would be the DRM, as kalisphoenix pointed out. And I think I know how it could work -- actually, I can think of a few possibilities. One of the most logical approaches I could see is the applet itself acting as an encrypted file container. All DRM-protected media (or even just all media brought in through the iPhone interface) must be played through the iPhone applet. When acquiring new media via iTunes/iPhone that you wish to use for a ringtone, you can obtain a non-drm snippet of 20, 30 or 40 seconds for that use. Perhaps the applet could export a non-drm ringtone snippet from content right on the phone... That last one might be asking too much for a lot of phones to handle...

Anyway, I think that's enough fantasizing for one evening. Let's see what happens on monday. And the smart money is betting on nothing.

AppleIntelRock
Dec 14, 2006, 11:40 PM
Actually, Verizon has really opened up over the past 6 months or so with newer phone releases. I can already fill my phone with all the MP3 and WMA files I want, even video clips too... Simply by copying them to the memory card and then popping the card into the phone. Verizon no longer requires you to pay $0.25 to retreive the pictures to you take by emailing to yourself (or someone else) as they can be dumped to the memory cards. ...A few of their phones now support USB and Bluetooth file transfer too for both pics and music... The catch is that OSX users are still left out of the latter two methods (without annoying work-arounds) because the software is all Windows-only.

...And it's not like it would be cheating Verizon (or other carriers) out of their money making service. The iTunes/store interface would still require mobile web service to operate, which still generates air time charges in many situations and other fees. Why would they care if you're getting music and/or videos from another source since they probably already up-sold you a data/web plan and may even be charging you minutes to use it???

But the biggest stumbling block to something like this would be the DRM, as kalisphoenix pointed out. And I think I know how it could work -- actually, I can think of a few possibilities. One of the most logical approaches I could see is the applet itself acting as an encrypted file container. All DRM-protected media (or even just all media brought in through the iPhone interface) must be played through the iPhone applet. When acquiring new media via iTunes/iPhone that you wish to use for a ringtone, you can obtain a non-drm snippet of 20, 30 or 40 seconds for that use. Perhaps the applet could export a non-drm ringtone snippet from content right on the phone... That last one might be asking too much for a lot of phones to handle...

Anyway, I think that's enough fantasizing for one evening. Let's see what happens on monday. And the smart money is betting on nothing.

Verizon does has some nice phones, 10000000000000000000% crippled by there TERRIBLE UI. I switched from verizon *and ate the 175* because I couldn't handle there UI.

DTphonehome
Dec 14, 2006, 11:41 PM
Verizon wouldn't be able to say a damn thing about it -- that's the point. Any schmoe with a phone capable of connecting to their PC or Mac could use it.

Service providers (and Verizon specifically) have very tight control over what can and cannot be installed on their handsets. In fact, Verizon flashes the entire default OS to their own proprietary OS. So you can be sure that nothing will get installed on a user's handset without Verizon's blessing.

xsnightclub
Dec 14, 2006, 11:43 PM
If the iPhone is announced or released on Monday,

You can bet that MS is in a hurry to release the Zune Phone.

Features: weighs less than current Zune,
complete with a "Scroll Wheel" that is 300% larger than the iPod,
infinite battery life thanks to 12ft power cord,
power saving feature, turn off wi-fi and use 9600 baud internal modem,
scratch resistant case,
Zune tech support just Dial '0',
backwards compatible with every home 'networking / communications' system installed since 1940's,
uses non-proprietary industry standard connection jack,
Microsoft 'calls-for-sure' compatibile,
available in three shades of brown, (Soon to be releaesed Zune Princess Phone available in high-fashion beige)
Non-tangle headset cord,
hundreds of third-party accessories (extension cords, modular jacks, in-line couplers, answering machines),
Touch-Tone compatible,
Dual re-inforced Belt Clip (Not Included)
40db alarm bell notifies you when other ZunePhoners are 'Squirting' a call to you,
Long distance and inter-continental 'Squirts' are possible with optional trans-atlantic cable,

And just like the original Zune, it makes for a great paper weight!

DTphonehome
Dec 14, 2006, 11:44 PM

Anyone who would use a music download service is guaranteed to have an unlimited-data plan anyway, so they won't make money off additional data traffic. And even if they would, Verizon charges over $2 per song on their own service (if I'm not mistaken; I may well be)...the big money is in selling songs (and other "additional features"), not airtime.

Chaszmyr
Dec 14, 2006, 11:46 PM
I hope this isnt true... I can't imagine anything but unhappy new iPod nano owners who would have instead wanted a new phone for christmas if this is true.

Tork
Dec 14, 2006, 11:48 PM
I still say the only way the iPhone announcement is true is if there's some impending FCC announcement that would steal Jobs' thunder.

PODshady
Dec 14, 2006, 11:50 PM
iWish

actually his MacWorld Keynote speech is on Jan. 9th

if you dont believe me go to the MacWorld Expo 2007 website
http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO07A/keynotes

OdduWon
Dec 14, 2006, 11:54 PM
AHHHH hA! There will be no "iphone" until there is an update to itunes. And no update to itunes until leopard when we get cover fall,as demoed in the core animation presentation. There is no way the will ship it before leopard, but we may hear a confirmation as to it's existance. just to give the after christmas crowed something to look forward too. but seriously this rumor has to come true eventually even if it takes 538 years:p

aside: is it even worth a cookie to reference an episode of south park that is a month old???

peeInMyPantz
Dec 14, 2006, 11:58 PM
AHHHH hA! There will be no "iphone" until there is an update to itunes. And no update to itunes until leopard when we get cover fall,as demoed in the core animation presentation. There is no way the will ship it before leopard, but we may hear a confirmation as to it's existance. just to give the after christmas crowed something to look forward too. but seriously this rumor has to come true eventually even if it takes 538 years:p

aside: is it even worth a cookie to reference an episode of south park that is a month old???

for a virtual cookie.. yes it is!

Tork
Dec 15, 2006, 12:00 AM

Apple could just release iTunes 7.0.3 or 7.1 with iPhone support. And the release, according to giz, isn't Monday, just the announcement.

gcreedle
Dec 15, 2006, 12:04 AM
Maybe he announce Monday early January availablility. By Monday, most people will already have done there xmas shopping and the immediate stock surge would make this year's stock return look even better.

ipearx
Dec 15, 2006, 12:04 AM
Here's an interesting question - if they bring out a phone of any sort that uses iChat, will they port iChat to Windows like they did iTunes?

http://bla.st/mac/

Tork
Dec 15, 2006, 12:39 AM
Here's an interesting question - if they bring out a phone of any sort that uses iChat, will they port iChat to Windows like they did iTunes?

Perhaps, though I doubt it. Unlike when iTunes was introduced, iChat would be entering an already dominated market on the Windoze side.

gkhaldi
Dec 15, 2006, 12:49 AM
...that integrates with iChat :)

http://bla.st/apple/

Gues you mean iNoChat ;-)

xPismo
Dec 15, 2006, 12:52 AM
Mmmm.... can I get my powerbook G5 with a new iPhone monday?

Really thought, I'd like it to happen. I need a new phone and a new ipod. :cool:

TheBobcat
Dec 15, 2006, 01:03 AM
Perhaps, though I doubt it. Unlike when iTunes was introduced, iChat would be entering an already dominated market on the Windoze side.

Not necessarily. Winamp and WMP and MusicMatch (the original software for Windows iPods) were used by many people and for a while WinAmp had quite a following (then version 3...ughhh).

iTunes, like iPod, just did it better than any other product in the sector. Presently, I don't believe that's completely true for iChat, but improvements can be made. iTunes + iChat + QuickTime? I'd buy that. Apple did release Software Update for Windows, one would seem to think they plan on having more than just iTunes and QuickTime for the dark side.

On the subject at hand, this is a publicity stunt for hits. The post only says iPhone, no where does the name Apple Computer, Inc. show up. There might be some knockoff product called iPhone coming out or something on "Monday". I would be more surprised if Apple released their phone now than if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet tomorrow morning. This is to rile up all the Mac Fanboys (see: mirror) and drum up some ad revenue.

Most people are done shopping, those who aren't probably won't be dropping $600 for a phone as a last minute stocking stuffer. No press conference? No hoopla? BS at its finest, I feel sorry for those who are truly excited. Gizmodo on the other hand will soon be losing my respect and hits for quite some time.

whoooaaahhhh
Dec 15, 2006, 01:05 AM
Unlike Bose though, Apple consistently adds new ideas and technology.

Unlike Bose...Apple doesn't suck.

Bose is way overpriced for what you get. Klipsch kicks their ass se7en ways to sunday.

BWhaler
Dec 15, 2006, 01:09 AM
As someone points out in the comments, this is not even on the Gizmodo front page.

Looks like a hack or a joke. Or an attempt at more traffic.

Plus, the obvious logic flaws:

1. No media invitations for the biggest product announcement this year?
2. The week before Christmas?
3. Monday?

My money is on it's some stupid joke.

sachamun
Dec 15, 2006, 01:11 AM

ichat could work on windows, and help popularize the iphone, but Apple would really need to open it up. If it was compatible with other protocols like msn, icq, etc etc like Adium or Trillian it could really blossom I think.

Eduardo1971
Dec 15, 2006, 01:12 AM
Not true! The guy that made the gizmondo post did so after sitting in a bar. Drinking. Liquor.

Apparently he was stood up by his date, who works for (you guessed it) Apple.

What a bitter, bitter, little man.

Elrond39
Dec 15, 2006, 01:42 AM

While I think that this whole Monday thing is utter crap... This was a VERY perceptive post: Apple would have to get FCC approval in the States, and we all know how notorious picture-leaks are from the FCC, right? So, Apple would likely make an announcement, followed by a pro forma FCC approval (leaked images or specs are irrelevant, because Steve would have made them known himself), and then release.

Good point, Tork!

Philberttheduck
Dec 15, 2006, 01:45 AM
I'm with the majority of you guys on this: this has to be BS.

I'll believe it when I see it but, while I'm definitely for it, this sounds WAY too premature to be true on Apple's part. The timings just too random. (however, the same can be argued for the intel imac release.. great news for me because i was about 2 weeks away from cashing in on a G5. history can definitely repeat itself for me twice)

tvguru
Dec 15, 2006, 01:50 AM
Fool me once, shame...shame on you.
*awkward silence, confusion*
If fooled we can't be fooled again!
George W. Bush

LOL! That's all I thought wile I read that last post! LOL Thanks. :D

s10
Dec 15, 2006, 01:56 AM
Maybe the "basic" iPhone is just an iPod add-on that connects to your iPod, just like the iPod Radio...

JoeG4
Dec 15, 2006, 02:15 AM
Time to get your money ready to invest in AAPL! When people hear it isn't the size of an iPod Nano, doesn't have a 2400x1500 3" screen, isn't the size of an ipod Nano, doesn't have a 10MP camera, and doesn't have an 80gb hard drive, that stock will tank so fast Apple won't know what hit them.

:D

There is NO WAY Apple won't piss someone off with the iPhone.

lostngone
Dec 15, 2006, 02:16 AM
The iPhone will be a simple USB telephony device that plugs into the Mac and uses an upgraded version of iChat to call other computers or land lines. Basically Apple's version of Skype. Who knows maybe Apple won't release the hardware device and only release the software that will be called "iPhone".

patrick808
Dec 15, 2006, 02:39 AM
My guess is that Steve Jobs will do a Monday Night Football introduction, spoofing iPhone rumors.

AppliedVisual
Dec 15, 2006, 02:41 AM
The iPhone will be a simple USB telephony device that plugs into the Mac and uses an upgraded version of iChat to call other computers or land lines. Basically Apple's version of Skype. Who knows maybe Apple won't release the hardware device and only release the software that will be called "iPhone".

Heh, not a bad theory there either... They may even take it beyond what Skype offers and compete with providers like Vonage. Ooooh, Apple VOIP with [video] iChat integration. That could be nifty. :cool:

Marx55
Dec 15, 2006, 03:04 AM
Here you go, iPhone SmartPhone with built-in Mac OS X:

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/evidence_mounts_for_january_iphone

http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=1
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=2
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=3

jhedges3
Dec 15, 2006, 03:14 AM
Can anyone say when we first started discussing this so called iphone? I vaguely recall it being three years plus minus one. What was said in those initial discussions?

blueflame
Dec 15, 2006, 03:24 AM
this is exactly what I have been thinking. and when I aw the ichat thing, and read of this monday release date, that seems like a vey possible thing to happen. probably work with iTV? this may be the "rounding out of apple-non-computer devices" ive been reading about. Either way, I am excited. maybe that new ichat version will be released with the iPhone AV
Andreas

elppa
Dec 15, 2006, 03:49 AM
As long as its ready and the software/hardware has been properly tested.

It would be a shame if it is just being “rushed out for Christmas”. Although that's not really Apple's style.

Poff
Dec 15, 2006, 04:18 AM

WinAmp really had almost the complete market. And it still has a big big marketshare on windows.

Analog Kid
Dec 15, 2006, 04:45 AM
If Tork didn't go and throw in the FCC conundrum, I'd have dismissed this out of hand. No special event => no phone. I still think they'd have found a way to get an event together even if the FCC was about to release data.

Analog Kid
Dec 15, 2006, 04:46 AM

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/evidence_mounts_for_january_iphone

Need awfully tiny thumbs to use that Dock...

Elrond39
Dec 15, 2006, 04:57 AM
If Tork didn't go and throw in the FCC conundrum, I'd have dismissed this out of hand. No special event => no phone. I still think they'd have found a way to get an event together even if the FCC was about to release data.

I feel the very same, Analog Kid. It's quite the quandary :)

tjcampbell
Dec 15, 2006, 05:12 AM
Announced and Released are very different things. I could see it being officialy announced with a working demo to tempt investors, analysts and consumers, but I would be shocked if they actually rolled out a product for sale. It's too close to Christmas to launch a product. Cheers, Tom

Compile 'em all
Dec 15, 2006, 05:15 AM

Further, pre-Christmas makes much more sense than post-Christmas, especially since this is an introductory product WITH, what many might agree, is a pent-up demand, at ANY price.

High prices good. Low prices bad. For Steevie and stockholders :)

"The more you pay the more it is worth." - truism

Rocketman

So people are buying iPods for xmas, and Apple introduces an iPhone to kill their own iPod sales? :confused:

Whistleway
Dec 15, 2006, 06:22 AM
who knows if iPhone would be released by apple? Do they own trademarks? Or else any 3rd party electronics company would be releasing one?

cpbrown
Dec 15, 2006, 06:25 AM
I just guessed that Apple are pretty unlikely to release anything on a monday now that the tuesday release-day tradition is getting well established. so i guess that this is a pretty innaccurate rumour. plus, i think that apple might move the release to tuesday even if it was originally planned for monday, just to spite the rumour mills :P

mac-er
Dec 15, 2006, 06:45 AM
Fake, fake, fake:

1. Classic fake rumor formula."It isn't what I expected at all. And I've already said too much". First, give some details if it isn't what you expected. Second, by saying that he's said too much he doesn't have to give any details (which he doesn't have).

2. Apple doesn't announce things on Mondays.

3. Apple wouldn't make such a large announcement this close to Christmas. Apple is known to have a big slow down around the holidays at its offices.

4. Apple has not released a teaser or invite to an event.

5. Apple would not release such a HUGE product less than month before MWSF. It would take the thunder away from MWSF. This would be a "one more thing" thing.

Whistleway
Dec 15, 2006, 06:52 AM
Gizmodo Knows: iPhone Will Be Announced On Monday
I guarantee it. It isn't what I expected at all. And I've already said too much. –Brian Lam

That says it all.

It is not a hardware device by Apple. And chances are it is not made by Apple either. iPhone is a working name for the rumored device by Apple. It is a stupid name for a phone.

So, it is either a software application or a knock-off phone made by some unknown company just to claim the iPhone name as the first to market.

And Gizmodo won't put their rep in line unless what they say is true. And there will be something that will be out on monday that would fit the bill. Just not the phone that is rumored to be made by Apple.

bwintx
Dec 15, 2006, 06:54 AM
Believe it only if you start hearing that the Apple Stores are engaged in odd weekend activities, seem to be hiding stuff, etc. Because you know they'll find some way to offer the eventual phone there, regardless of whatever other arrangements the carriers may have. Can't imagine SJ would do it any other way.

Compile 'em all
Dec 15, 2006, 06:58 AM
That says it all.

It is not a hardware device by Apple. And chances are it is not made by Apple either. iPhone is a working name for the rumored device by Apple. It is a stupid name for a phone.

If it doesn't make sense for a phone, then I don't know what kind of "other" device it will make sense for.

bigmoosey
Dec 15, 2006, 07:09 AM
I have been holding off on a new cell purchase for several months now - waiting for the Apple Phone. I really think the current state of cell phone technology is horrible and am excited by the poposition that someone will do it right.

To this end, if it is out before the Holidays - I will totally add it to my software (http://www.zootalor.com) to allow people to track and find these SOB's quickly.

nukiduz
Dec 15, 2006, 07:11 AM
it's kinda sad gizmodo comes out with these nonsense announcement. they're giving false expectations for this monday and the iphone will probably come out on jan 8th, the next monday, as we were expecting.

dernhelm
Dec 15, 2006, 07:14 AM
As someone points out in the comments, this is not even on the Gizmodo front page.

Looks like a hack or a joke. Or an attempt at more traffic.

Plus, the obvious logic flaws:

1. No media invitations for the biggest product announcement this year?
2. The week before Christmas?
3. Monday?

My money is on it's some stupid joke.

Ding! It is completely unlikely that this is an Apple cell phone product. I can't believe people are picking up on this and spouting it around. In fact, the only justification for Page 1 here that I can see is that you've actually _heard_ of Gizmodo (although the current top post is a USB pole dancer, so take that for what it's worth), and that the iPhone is a popular topic right now.

Otherwise, the guy has no cred at all for Apple rumors, and let's face it, there is no one going to spill to Gizmodo a date as early as Monday _before_ spilling to half a dozen other gadget and rumor sites.

It would be difficult to believe that Apple would release this kind of product without a media event planned a week in advance (or more). There is enough evidence that Apple is working on this product to believe there might be an announcement at MacWorld, but I can't believe they would be so brash about it as to steal their own thunder the week before Christmas.

spine
Dec 15, 2006, 07:17 AM
So people are buying iPods for xmas, and Apple introduces an iPhone to kill their own iPod sales? :confused:

I think you are right - 100%.
Besides, a phone is a completely new product for apple, and would require a lot of explaination. Its not the kind of thing that just appears on their site...

Perhaps Gizmodo is recalling when Apple Insider site posted an article that stated that the phone would be "released earlier than expected - catching even insiders off gaurd." A big-bang event."
Does anyone else remember this?

deadkenny
Dec 15, 2006, 07:20 AM
1.) Next monday is not a tuesday.
2.) Why confuse customers in the last week of the holiday season?

Chris Bangle
Dec 15, 2006, 07:22 AM
Umm Im hoping that it is annonced on Monday an FCC thing would be a credible reason for apple to announce it now. But what if it fails the FCC thing.

ezekielrage_99
Dec 15, 2006, 07:24 AM
I thought Tuesday like the G5 Powerbooks :confused:

Chris Bangle
Dec 15, 2006, 07:24 AM
I think you are right - 100%.
Besides, a phone is a completely new product for apple, and would require a lot of explaination. Its not the kind of thing that just appears on their site...

Perhaps Gizmodo is recalling when Apple Insider site posted an article that stated that the phone would be "released earlier than expected - catching even insiders off gaurd." A big-bang event."
Does anyone else remember this?

yeah i remember that. No ipod 5th birthday, no apple 30th birthday, surely Christmas is worth celebrating.

BenRoethig
Dec 15, 2006, 07:33 AM
iWish

On January 8th most people have their plans and phones for the year.

rockstarjoe
Dec 15, 2006, 07:36 AM
I think the above-quoted post captures the significance of the Gizmodo story. People have been using "iPhone" for Apple's cell phone as a convenience, but there's not solid evidence that it'll actually be called that, and I was under the impression that someone else holds the rights to the name. So maybe Lam knows about a product that's actually called "iPhone" and will be announced on Monday. Gizmodo holds their own and is not going to suffer huge drops in traffic when one of their editors plays a little joke on fanboys.

P.S. That last time he made the hint about the TiVo update, I didn't expect it to be about Apple at all. He said before the Apple event, but I didn't think he was implying a connection. And TiVo news, especially HD-related, is big news to a lot of Giz's readers..

I have my money on this as well. It will be a cheap crap phone called "iphone" from some other company. Gizmodo loves knock-offs, and this little prank is right up their alley.

BenRoethig
Dec 15, 2006, 07:39 AM
My guess is that Steve Jobs will do a Monday Night Football introduction, spoofing iPhone rumors.

It makes sense.

Diatribe
Dec 15, 2006, 07:59 AM
It's listed as their "Top Story." It's risky: awful big credibility hit if their wrong...

Exactly. You would think they ought to be pretty sure about it.

JRM PowerPod
Dec 15, 2006, 08:00 AM
I am no genius, and I would love to see the phone on Monday, but this looks like an attempt to effect aapl dec options to me. Someone must have Dec 90's.

Mate thats exactly what went through my head

peharri
Dec 15, 2006, 08:05 AM
Maybe they're just going to announce that there is no iPhone, and make a big song and dance about it because the rumours have gone from "ridiculous" to "still ridiculous yet strangely convincing", even the completely contradictory ones (ie 90% of the ones Arn puts up on the front page.)

I mean, I'm convinced, and I think the idea's a bad one AND I've seen every rumour contradict the previous one. This is doing my mental health no good, and if I were Apple, for the sake of humanity, I'd squash this one right now. Maybe I'd announce an alliance with a major manufacturer or something, just so everyone knows the iPhone itself is bogus.

SBik2
Dec 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
i couldnt see on gizmodo anything anymore about the iPhone so i think they took it down...

princealfie
Dec 15, 2006, 08:49 AM
Cool, now where is the phone buddies?

ready2switch
Dec 15, 2006, 09:00 AM
First of all, he really doesn't say which Monday. I guess we can assume the next Monday after posting, but really, I doubt it's enough of a loophole to keep their credibility intact should nothing appear.

Secondly, the "It isn't what I expected at all." makes me a bit worried. Maybe I'm just reading into it, but I sense disappointment. I really hope that isn't it. :confused:

leorou
Dec 15, 2006, 09:05 AM
It's an announcement people, not a release, of course Apple won't be releasing nothing before Xmas. I bet this must be due the increasing rumors.

And Brian, i hope you're right, if not, i will hunt you down and put an entire shoe store up your ***. lol

Please God, let the iPhone be an awesome piece of work, not a software or an add-on.

Cheers!

lmalave
Dec 15, 2006, 09:11 AM
The monday before Xmas??? When you could just wait for MWSF?

I say no. Still, I wonder.

Defensive move, maybe? I mean, maybe apple wants to supress sales of possible competitors. Maybe the phone won't actually be out until next year, but Apple wants to *announce* it now, so that people will keep their cash and hold out for an iPhone.

Rocketman
Dec 15, 2006, 09:12 AM
Not a chance. First and foremost, this is Jobs' pet project. He's not going to release it or even announce that it exists without some major fanfare. There's not enough time to get people together. And then there's the whole monday thing. What's the most significant thing Apple has ever done on a monday? Bump some specs? I don't see them changing anything in their lineup until after the first of the year.

I'm calling bull on this one. The iPhone will be landing at Macworld, no sooner, no later.

He could announce it on Oprah or something and go well past all fanboy sites.

THEN have press conferences AFTER the release.

Rocketman

davebarnes
Dec 15, 2006, 09:34 AM
If this is true it makes good sense. Apple has stated they will release products "as available" rather than when a scheduled news event is expected. They have been sticking to that.

Further, pre-Christmas makes much more sense than post-Christmas

Actually, I think that pre-Macworld makes sense. If the emphasis at Macworld (January 2007, San Francisco) is to be on the new TV product, then announcing the iPhone now makes a great deal of sense. Otherwise, half the focus of the reporters at Macworld will be "where's the iPhone" instead of on what Apple wants to showcase.

,dave

Squonk
Dec 15, 2006, 09:37 AM
The iPhone will be released. I guarantee it. ;)

or double this post back? :)

averyash
Dec 15, 2006, 09:42 AM
I think this announcement makes a little more sense than some are giving credit for.

While I would be extremely surprised to see Apple release the full fledged iPhone (a term which recent buzz has had Apple looking to gain the rights too here (http://jpicune.wordpress.com/2006/10/16/exclusive-apple-seeks-rights-to-iphone-trademark/) and here (http://digg.com/apple/Exclusive_Apple_seeks_rights_to_iPhone_trademark) back in October). However, the "Answering" option added to iChat would have to get you thinking. What logic would be behind Apple announcing a product like this so close to Christmas?

Here's a scenario that makes a lot of sense to me.

-Monday (the Monday announcement is an interesting twist, but read on) Apple announces the launch of the "iPhone." This will be a bluetooth enabled voip phone, form factor to be seen. This will essentially be a cordless phone working over the iChat network. A program exclusive to Macs.

-The Monday announcement date the week before Christmas makes a good deal of sense. A common misconception is that the busiest time of the shopping season takes place right after Christmas. While it is true that there is a ton of TRAFFIC in stores for Black Friday weekend, the sales are not tops for the holiday season. Looking back from 2002-1993 (www.atlassolutions.com/pdf/2004-2005HolidayDMI.pdf) (if anyone has data from 2003-2005, please link to) the top shopping day took place December 18th at the very earliest. Furthermore, if you look at lists (http://retailindustry.about.com/library/weekly/aa121599a.htm)for the top ten shopping days for any given year, 7 or 8 of the top sales days take place on or after the 18th of December. A December 18th product announcement, while fairly unprecedented, would still leave a majority of the top ten shopping days for the holiday season in play.

-The goal of this announcement would not be to sell the iPhone product, but to create a huge product buzz for Apple right before an extremely busy shopping period. Announcing a product such as this that only works on a Mac creates greater incentive, in addition to hype, for consumers to go out and purchase one as a Christmas present.

-The Bluetooth iPhone would cannibalize a negligible portion of iPod sales. Apple is far to smart to release a product that eats into its own market at such an important shopping junction. Hence the iPhone, which would have none of the same features as the traditional iPod. What I expect we would find out at MWSF is that (surprise) the announced iPhone is actually a stripped down version of the iTunes Mobile, which one would imagine is the cellphone/ipod/iphone combination that has been rumored for some time.

I can just see the next Get a Mac Ad… Apple answers a phone, PC guy looks outdated and drab, you get the picture…

Squonk
Dec 15, 2006, 09:42 AM
I agree with all the previous posts regarding this being unlikely to be rolled out without Steve's Mac & pony show! Seriously, how often does Steve get to be on stage and wow the masses with one more insanely great product? There is no way that Steve is going to let this one roll out of the barn without a full parade and at least 30 minutes of stage time. I'm just thinking back five years ago to the original iPod roll out... Mmmm, good times!!! :D

Compile 'em all
Dec 15, 2006, 09:44 AM
Defensive move, maybe? I mean, maybe apple wants to supress sales of possible competitors. Maybe the phone won't actually be out until next year, but Apple wants to *announce* it now, so that people will keep their cash and hold out for an iPhone.

This might be a good reason but I still don't think it is enough to explain why not announce it at MCSW instead. Besides, what does "announce" exactly mean? just saying "we will release an iPhone in January"?

iMeowbot
Dec 15, 2006, 09:48 AM
i couldnt see on gizmodo anything anymore about the iPhone so i think they took it down...
It's scrolled off to the second page now, but the entry is still live.

Squonk
Dec 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
2.) Why confuse customers in the last week of the holiday season?

I was just thinking about this notion the other day: Why does Apple introduce new stuff in January? The answer is simple and insanely great (my SJ phrase of the day...)

Here goes:

By having a stable product mix through the 4th calendar quarter, people who are requesting certain gifts and those shopping for these gifts have a nice stable product offering to choose from. There is no, "Jimmy asked for an X but now there is a Y out there, what should I get him.... Oh heck, I dunno and I don't want to spoil the surprise, so I'm going to just get him a nice sweater instead." And bing - Apple looses the sale.

Dec 15, 2006, 10:02 AM
_

Peace
Dec 15, 2006, 10:31 AM
iWish

The Keynote at this years MWSF is Tuesday Jan 9th.

SiliconAddict
Dec 15, 2006, 10:55 AM

http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=1
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=2
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=3

Horrid on so many levels. First off in no way, shape, or form do I want a screen that big on my phone. No only does it suck battery life down faster but it will have a higher tenancy to get scratched, scuffed, and outright broken when in the pocket. Secondly a touch screen in the cold? Do you know what happens to an LCD when you get into the teens or below? The refresh sucks. The larger the screen the suckier it gets.
As for the UI. In NO way shape or form should OS X's UI be transfered to any other platform be it tablet or smartphone. OS X was designed for the destkop not a phone. This is something that MS has slowly learned over the course of its grand PDA experiment. Prior to 2000 the Palm Sized PC tried to stuff Windows into a PDA sized device. It failed because Windows does not work well from a UI standpoint on such a small screen. With the introduction of the Pocket PC MS redesigned the UI to take this into consideration. Their smartphone \ PDA phone variant of Windows Mobile "generally" does further cleanup of the OS for a phone.
If Apple is going to release a smarphone they dang well better do the OS from scratch.

RichP
Dec 15, 2006, 11:26 AM
Whahaha, dumbest rumor yet about this iPhone. A week before Christmas, and Apple is going rock the boat with one of the most-hyped products of their company history? (iPhone rumors date before even the iPod release, correct?)

This is a Macworld release. End of story. We basically had an "early" iTV release to give space and attention to the phone in January.

MacSamurai
Dec 15, 2006, 12:00 PM
Umm people since when does announced mean released?It just means that apple will be telling people it exists but in no way means that it will be available anytime soon...move on please :p

rdrr
Dec 15, 2006, 12:02 PM
They do have to submit specs to the FCC, right? So maybe they will announce it the same day to keep the buzz going.

Buschmaster
Dec 15, 2006, 12:15 PM
I would say if anything is released this Monday it would be the iTV. But under a new name, or perhaps the new name would be released along with new information on it, but simply shipping soon.

I would love to see an iPhone, it's start to sound so likely, yet likely way out of my price range (A computer?) but those prices don't include the $100-$200 you can get from wireless carriers towards a phone.

I don't see them announcing and shipping the same day with the iPhone. If they did announce it, it would almost be a poor move, because look at how much hype it's built already, without a word coming out of Cupertino... What if they simply said something at MW like "We'll have some new products for you you guys have been itching for for a long time coming very soon." Can you imagine the explosion of posts happening here about the iPhone? Then maybe some silhouette ads with a bluetooth headset or something. "Coming soon"

They'll want to take this full head of steam further, I'm thinking...

rstorm
Dec 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
Its still on their site:

http://byrningi.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/gizmodo-knows-iphone-will-be-announced-on-monday-221991.php

Peace
Dec 15, 2006, 12:41 PM
Its still on their site:

http://byrningi.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/gizmodo-knows-iphone-will-be-announced-on-monday-221991.php

It's also still one of the top stories on giz's front page.

Look at the top of the page :

http://gizmodo.com/

madmaxmedia
Dec 15, 2006, 12:52 PM
The timing may also coincide with a major magazine cover- Time, etc. So MWSF or not, it will make a big splash in the press.

MWSF is not really necessary to announce consumer devices like an iPhone, as it will be all over the place anyways. But MWSF is a great place to collectively announce a lot of new Mac stuff, because MWSF is a press-worthy in itself.

They tend to introduce stuff at MWSF anyway because everyone expects big announcements at the show. But they could introduce a new iPod in a Walmart in South Dakota, and it would be on every evening news show in the country anyways.

OdduWon
Dec 15, 2006, 01:15 PM
lol, maybe it is a voice recoreder built in to osx.... you know an "i" phone :p

or better yet it is an "eye" phone, like a ichat adapter for the ipood

aside: the worst 300th post ever :(

miket2006
Dec 15, 2006, 01:19 PM
http://b.im.craigslist.org/Ll/1n/RVqBi79ekWnJVLPiT8KhxwIbDjoH.jpg

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/248780995.html

this looks like a great phone ?

jmbear
Dec 15, 2006, 01:31 PM
It´s probably some stupid prank...

And I agree with most people, Steve wouldn´t introduce such a big product without all his circus...

Squonk
Dec 15, 2006, 01:41 PM

I think the concept is good. I don't care for the 3G iPod buttons around the scrollwheel. I'm sure those functions could be mapped to the scroll wheel like the 4G and newer iPods.

I've never used a blackberry, but me thinks that trying to use that keyboard would be difficult.

Go fish!

daysleeper
Dec 15, 2006, 01:43 PM
Go home to your families, have a nice weekend. Not gonna happen.

kresh
Dec 15, 2006, 02:05 PM

It says "80 hours of Video" What Horse Crap!

edit: may say "60 hours", either way that's flat out impossible.

Martin C
Dec 15, 2006, 02:30 PM
We know it's fake, but how would that be horse crap?

The 80GB iPod holds 100 hours of video, so how can you call 60 hours of video impossible? It's not referring to battery life if that's what you are thinking...

ImNoSuperMan
Dec 15, 2006, 02:32 PM

So it automatically implies that it`s not something that either us expected at all. And in that case it`s not really the iPhone we think it is. Which means it`s more/less a stupid word puzzle from Brian Lam only to increase web traffic and I guess he`s been successful in doing that. But in the end he`ll lose a lot of regular visitors once everybody comes to know that all this was *****.

But I really hope that it doesnt turn out like that and the thing is atleast somehow related to Apple.

princealfie
Dec 15, 2006, 02:40 PM
It is Christmas, after all.

Pourquoi pas?

ryanw
Dec 15, 2006, 04:43 PM
I find something very very interesting, and I'm guilty of it too. For whatever reason, apple can't do wrong and everyone else has it wrong. Why is this?

The example? Well, when people first started doing mockups of what the iPhone would look like, they looked a lot to me like the LG "Chocolate" phones. For some reason I have no interest in the LG Chocolate phones only the iPhone from apple.

The jobs reality distortion field is very strong. I admit, I am guilty to being a follower and giving in to the reality distortion field dubed iHalo.

fluidinclusion
Dec 15, 2006, 10:03 PM
The iPhone IS a telephony hardware device and service (with the appropriate $600 US price) that uses WiFi, but is intended for use in the home. It is integrated with an iChat-like functionality, but is a subsitiute for Vonage and other VOIP solutions, with a business solution coming later in 2007.

Apple and its soon to be revealed partner will be able to provide this functionality with the Newark facility purchased from Stream/WorldCom that has been adequately modified and has significant future expansion capability.

You will be able to mount the phone and videoscreen on a wall or remove the handset for use elsewhere in the house (or when calling people that don't yet have video functionality).

Consider this: What product would nearly everyone want, for which the technology is available, but not yet implemented?

The video phone concept has been out there for years, but hasn't been brought to market for consumers until now. The United States has recently passed the 50% mark for users on broadband. This WILL BE BIGGER THAN THE iPOD. And like the iPod, people won't know how they lived without it.

Martin C
Dec 15, 2006, 10:21 PM
Since you seem to know so much can you get into more details?

aswitcher
Dec 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
The iPhone IS a telephony hardware device and service (with the appropriate $600 US price) that uses WiFi, but is intended for use in the home. It is integrated with an iChat-like functionality, but is a subsitiute for Vonage and other VOIP solutions, with a business solution coming later in 2007.

Apple and its soon to be revealed partner will be able to provide this functionality with the Newark facility purchased from Stream/WorldCom that has been adequately modified and has significant future expansion capability.

You will be able to mount the phone and videoscreen on a wall or remove the handset for use elsewhere in the house (or when calling people that don't yet have video functionality).

Consider this: What product would nearly everyone want, for which the technology is available, but not yet implemented?

The video phone concept has been out there for years, but hasn't been brought to market for consumers until now. The United States has recently passed the 50% mark for users on broadband. This WILL BE BIGGER THAN THE iPOD. And like the iPod, people won't know how they lived without it.

If its also a GSM/GPRS phone, a 4/8GB nano, and acts as a full multimedia remote for ilife, then I agree it will be big - and I will be seriously thinking about getting one. If it lacks these additional features I mention, then I am very skeptical.

yankeedoodle
Dec 16, 2006, 03:45 AM
It is Christmas, after all.

Pourquoi pas?

Introducing the iPhone just one week before Christmas would be the most stupid point of time I can think of: It would cannibalize lots of the iPod's xmas business and would leave lots of people who already bought regular iPods for friends and family with an outdated present next weekend ("Thanks for the old-fashioned iPod, dad!" :) ). My money is on Q1 2007, not necessarily at MWSF.

Yoursh
Dec 16, 2006, 05:13 AM
This is on digg.com's main page.

http://crunchgear.com/2006/12/15/ces-ne-pas-un-iphone/

Thought I'd link, since this is what some have been speculating.

digitalrampage
Dec 16, 2006, 05:26 AM
I think all the people that are using the excuse that, "they wouldn't release a phone before christmas because it wouldn't sell well or would stop iPod sales" should remember in the main, Apple releases products, they don't ship them!

I had on good rumors that there was another product coming before christmas not in the current Apple space, and this was only a few weeks ago.

I don't know what to believe, but releasing a phone now might not be so stupid, MacWorld will probably be filled with iTV and iLife 07 and the "Intel" transition updates and they didn't leave enough time for the phone to debut.

If they do release it, I doubt it will ship any time soon!!!

Elrond39
Dec 16, 2006, 06:15 AM
I find something very very interesting, and I'm guilty of it too. For whatever reason, apple can't do wrong and everyone else has it wrong. Why is this?

The example? Well, when people first started doing mockups of what the iPhone would look like, they looked a lot to me like the LG "Chocolate" phones. For some reason I have no interest in the LG Chocolate phones only the iPhone from apple.

The jobs reality distortion field is very strong. I admit, I am guilty to being a follower and giving in to the reality distortion field dubed iHalo.

How about this (likely branded as) Chocolate KE850 (http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/15/the-lg-ke850-touchable-chocolate/)? Would you have interest in this one? :D

griz
Dec 16, 2006, 08:40 AM
Does anyone really think Apple will make the iPhone announcement NOW without having product to deliver? If they do have product to deliver, do you really think they will announce it without some "press event"? I just don't see it happening.

lorductape
Dec 16, 2006, 09:49 AM
if they were trying to get it out by christmas they would have released much earlier

ryanw
Dec 16, 2006, 11:03 AM
The reality of releasing this close to Christmas is ludacris. It's not going to happen. If Apple announces it before christmas without product to ship then people will consider waiting to get iPods/iPhones till AFTER Christmas. If Apple announces the product and has units to purchase BEFORE christmas there is no way they would be able to supply enough units to the stores and customers before christmas resulting in people not having iPhones NOR iPods by christmas. Also on this note, Apple will have iPod RETURNES from people before christmas expecting to get money back to buy the iPhone.

The only thing I could foresee as a "potential" reason to release a product before christmas is that they would be banking on the fact that most everyone has their holiday shopping already done and wrapped except for men. Men drag their feet and a week before christmas go, "Oh yah, christmas is coming, I gotta go buy something." We'll see.. Very very doubtful.

Be ready.
Monday will come and go, No iPhone.
Christmas will come and go, no iPhone.
1Q 2007 will come and go, no iPhone.
2Q 2007 an iPhone will arise.

gloss
Dec 16, 2006, 11:29 AM
I really wish people would stop spelling ludicrous 'Ludacris'.

Ludicrous = worthy of derision

Ludacris = a rapper, also worthy of derision.

pito189
Dec 16, 2006, 11:50 AM
How about this (likely branded as) Chocolate KE850 (http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/15/the-lg-ke850-touchable-chocolate/)? Would you have interest in this one? :D

I agree look at that thing, the background, the icons, I didn't even pay attention to the screen until someone in the comments said something about it.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2006/12/lg-ke850-if.jpg

achmafooma
Dec 16, 2006, 12:04 PM
Has anybody considered that Apple, rather than holding their own press event, would be part of a carrier's phone launch event? Do any of the major U.S. carriers (Verizon, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.) have a press event scheduled for Monday?

How about Palm? Not a carrier, I know, but there have been rumors in the past about Apple buying up Palm, and with Palm OS recently being brought back into the Palm fold (perpetual rights to the code bought back from ACCESS/PalmSource), maybe there's a connection. Imagine a new Apple Mobile OS with Palm OS compatibility (so there's a lot of software available right-off, and a more solid base than Palm OS for future development).

Just throwing these out there.

My instinct is that this rumor is false, but coming from Gizmodo I'm not going to declare it so just yet. I figure that on Monday, we'll either have an iPhone or Gizmodo will have lost a LOT of credibility.

ryanw
Dec 16, 2006, 01:17 PM

LOL, that's what I get for not knowing how to spell and relying on google as a spell checker.

twoodcc
Dec 16, 2006, 05:51 PM
well wouldn't this be lovely? i sure hope it's true :)

lorductape
Dec 17, 2006, 10:13 AM
Has anybody considered that Apple, rather than holding their own press event, would be part of a carrier's phone launch event? Do any of the major U.S. carriers (Verizon, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.) have a press event scheduled for Monday?

How about Palm? Not a carrier, I know, but there have been rumors in the past about Apple buying up Palm, and with Palm OS recently being brought back into the Palm fold (perpetual rights to the code bought back from ACCESS/PalmSource), maybe there's a connection. Imagine a new Apple Mobile OS with Palm OS compatibility (so there's a lot of software available right-off, and a more solid base than Palm OS for future development).

Just throwing these out there.

My instinct is that this rumor is false, but coming from Gizmodo I'm not going to declare it so just yet. I figure that on Monday, we'll either have an iPhone or Gizmodo will have lost a LOT of credibility.

atcually, that would make sense... I read somewhere that cingular is having some pre-christmas announcement, which the article remarked was odd, instead of them waiting until all manufacturers are realeasing new things.

lorductape
Dec 17, 2006, 10:18 AM
That says it all.

So, it is either a software application or a knock-off phone made by some unknown company just to claim the iPhone name as the first to market.

And Gizmodo won't put their rep in line unless what they say is true. And there will be something that will be out on monday that would fit the bill. Just not the phone that is rumored to be made by Apple.

except they can't do that because apple already did all its trademark patent stuff, if you remember.

lorductape
Dec 17, 2006, 10:22 AM
ummm 5 days before christmas? seems like a very odd time to release a new product. Even if it's not available for a few weeks in to January this still seems like odd timing.

that would actually be 7 days.

APPLENEWBIE
Dec 17, 2006, 07:59 PM
"The iPhone IS a telephony hardware device and service (with the appropriate $600 US price) that uses WiFi, but is intended for use in the home... It is integrated with an iChat-like functionality, but is a subsitiute for Vonage and other VOIP solutions...
You will be able to mount the phone and videoscreen on a wall or remove the handset for use elsewhere in the house (or when calling people that don't yet have video functionality) Consider this: What product would nearly everyone want, for which the technology is available, but not yet implemented? The video phone concept has been out there for years, but hasn't been brought to market for consumers until now. The United States has recently passed the 50% mark for users on broadband."

Very interesting idea Fluidinclusion! Most home phones are basically garbage, in my experience... It really might be a major new market for a very high quality feature-filled phone with video/iChat/iCal/iPhoto (Front Row?) capabilities. Might also be an easier technical nut to crack than getting into the cell phone biz. Afterall, Apple has a lot of experience in designing and building short distance wireless devices (Airport.)

lorductape
Dec 17, 2006, 08:08 PM
"The iPhone IS a telephony hardware device and service (with the appropriate $600 US price) that uses WiFi, but is intended for use in the home... It is integrated with an iChat-like functionality, but is a subsitiute for Vonage and other VOIP solutions...
You will be able to mount the phone and videoscreen on a wall or remove the handset for use elsewhere in the house (or when calling people that don't yet have video functionality) Consider this: What product would nearly everyone want, for which the technology is available, but not yet implemented? The video phone concept has been out there for years, but hasn't been brought to market for consumers until now. The United States has recently passed the 50% mark for users on broadband."

Very interesting idea Fluidinclusion! Most home phones are basically garbage, in my experience... It really might be a major new market for a very high quality feature-filled phone with video/iChat/iCal/iPhoto (Front Row?) capabilities. Might also be an easier technical nut to crack than getting into the cell phone biz. Afterall, Apple has a lot of experience in designing and building short distance wireless devices (Airport.)

except that the cell phone market is exponentially larger, and who on earth would buy a $600 wall phone??? well, I guess we'll know tomorrw.

JonMan
Dec 17, 2006, 09:36 PM
The only thing that may happen tomorrow -- if anything -- is that Apple will make an announcement to stop these stupid rumors!

THERE IS NO IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it is you people who are creating a bubble in AAPL stock, and it is you who will cause the pending crash!

aiongiant
Dec 17, 2006, 11:25 PM
Gizmodo reply to their statement!

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/the-iphone-is-dead-what-will-apple-name-its-cellphone-now-222393.php

Apparently it's just the name "iPhone" and it's owned by Cisco

shadowsintherai
Dec 17, 2006, 11:29 PM
...that when you type in a search for iphone on google, as of 28 minutes ago, it now directs you to "eworld.com" which then directs you to "apple.com"...?

Methinks we have a name for our new mobile device, or carrier???

-Sean

swingerofbirch
Dec 17, 2006, 11:45 PM
...that when you type in a search for iphone on google, as of 28 minutes ago, it now directs you to "eworld.com" which then directs you to "apple.com"...?

-Sean
apple has owned iphone.org for a long time. eworld is an online service like AOL that apple used to run.

mac-convert
Dec 17, 2006, 11:48 PM

-Sean

I'm not getting redirected - the URL stays at www.eworld.com

shadowsintherai
Dec 17, 2006, 11:53 PM
That's actually what I meant...sorry. It's staying "eworld.com", and that was ONLY as of midnight tonight. NEVER happened before that.

Gizmodo has also just released details that iPhone is a VOIP phone made by Cisco...

Do we have a Helio killer coming in eWorld...?

-S

IDANNY
Dec 17, 2006, 11:55 PM
Are we ever going to really have an iphone? I know almost all of us want it but will it ever come ? : (

peeInMyPantz
Dec 18, 2006, 12:08 AM
Are we ever going to really have an iphone? I know almost all of us want it but will it ever come ? : (

iPhone is announced... but it's cisco.. not apple
here (http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/18/cisco-not-apple-announces-iphone-branded-voip-phones/)

so what should we call apple phone?

Tork
Dec 18, 2006, 12:34 AM
so what should we call apple phone?

I'm going with iChat Mobile.

peeInMyPantz
Dec 18, 2006, 12:37 AM
by the way... that also means that iPhone release on Monday, is not an Apple rumour, so it still doesn't add to Brian Lam's record of apple rumours reliability. Even though I do not believe him in the first place.. hearing that iphone is released but by cisco only makes me hate him.. haha.. i wonder why

peeInMyPantz
Dec 18, 2006, 12:42 AM
hmmm.. since iChat is a software.. i think iChat mobile is more appropriate as a name for a version of iChat used on apple phone

OdduWon
Dec 18, 2006, 01:09 AM
iConnect;)

yg17
Dec 18, 2006, 01:14 AM
Banana Phone

:D

Peace
Dec 18, 2006, 01:29 AM
I said folks were getting suckered in by Gizmodo.

:rolleyes:

sjk
Dec 18, 2006, 02:26 AM
I said folks were getting suckered in by Gizmodo.

:rolleyes:
I saw Brian's remark as a smug slap in the face to the endless and typically ridiculous iPhone rumors, knowing there was a pending non-Apple iPhone product announcement today. And obviously that would provoke more ludicrous speculations. BWOT.

oorosh
Dec 18, 2006, 02:39 AM
Cisco -- not apple -- announces iPhone branded VoIP phones...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/18/cisco-not-apple-announces-iphone-branded-voip-phones/

After all Gizmodo was right!

Spanna
Dec 18, 2006, 02:42 AM
I don't know if anyone else noticed but after Australia won the Ashes, (beeting England and reseting the natural order of the universe) channel 9 showed some live footage of the Australian cicket team in the dresser room, where Shane Warne kept flaunting a 5g ipod in front of the camera. He seemed insistent to get the ipod on camera, could this mean he has a promo deal with Apple, and if so imagine Shane Warne as an Aussie iphone spokesman flaunting the iphones video messaging capabiliites.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mi5moav
Dec 18, 2006, 05:12 AM
NEWTON anyone? If there is any name more mythical then the iphone this is it and Apple owns this one good or bad. I think this name would have a chance against the CrackBerry or Treo anyday.

a456
Dec 18, 2006, 05:31 AM
The iPod with phone capabilities will debut at SF - the 'true' phone iPod will follow at some unspecified future date after the 'true' Video iPod has arrived (remember that one?).:)

chukronos
Dec 18, 2006, 12:51 PM
Looks like he was exactly right in his prediction. The iPhone did come out today.

AppliedVisual
Dec 18, 2006, 03:15 PM

iPod fon

ezekielrage_99
Dec 19, 2006, 05:26 AM

Save the arts shoot a rapper :D

BuzWeaver
Dec 19, 2006, 07:50 AM
Irvine (CA) - Linksys today launched a new phone that many expected to be announced by Apple in early January: A device with the name iPhone will be available from wireless equipment maker Linksys in the first quarter of next year.

But besides the name, there is little the Linksys device has in common with what we expected the iPhone to be. Instead of a cellphone with iPod functionality, the iPhone WIP320 is a Wi-Fi Skype phone that appears to be a clone to already released models from Netgear and Belkin. It comes preloaded with a Skype client and does not need a computer to be running in order to be able to make Skype or phone calls. According to Linksys, the WIP320 is compatible with Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g networks and has an indoor range of about 75 m (230 ft).

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/18/linksys_iphone/