PDA

View Full Version : Writing into user.js

BLDun
Dec 14, 2006, 09:18 PM
I need some help here. This is beyond my ability at this point. Here goes: I was working on a new web site for our church and using Firefox. When I went to make some changes and clicked on the delete button I got a message telling me that this and two other buttons were disabled and if I wanted more info to click on the OK button. When I did it took me to the Mozilla website and an explanation on how to write new code into the user.js file. I got lost almost before I got started.

This is what I was supposed to add into this file:
Code:
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "allowclipboard");
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.sites", "http://www.echurchonline.com");
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipboard.cutcopy", "allAccess");
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipboard.paste", "allAccess");

Instructions said there was no file of this name at present and I would have to create one but never told me how to write this material. Can you help me???

Thanks

Catfish_Man
Dec 15, 2006, 12:02 AM
Create a text file with that text, and save it as user.js

<edit>If you use TextEdit make sure to hit "make plaintext" in the menu. Formatted text won't work. </edit>

BLDun
Dec 15, 2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks a lot! That helps greatly! Is there any particular location this file needs to be saved in??? I tried to place it in the library/application support/firefox/profiles/default file but it says there is already one there and when I look it up it has a dreamweaver logo on the file from that program. Has exactly the lines written in it. Can this be used by both programs or do I have to write a new one for Firefox and store it somewhere else??

BLDun
Dec 15, 2006, 08:46 AM
Additionally. . . I just did this same thing on my MacBook Pro and found out that when I saved it dreamweaver automatically put their logo on it. I did it in text edit and saved it as user.js and when I went to look to make sure it was there it had a small dreamseaver logo on it. Will it still be usable in Firefox or do I need to do something more?

snugharbor
Jul 4, 2008, 03:07 PM
I hate it when people fail to give obvious information. As the other person said, where do you put user.js?!

Catfish_Man
Jul 4, 2008, 03:34 PM
First hit on google: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=user.js+location&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8