Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
UK
I'm ordering my first ever iMac tonight (20" for those who wish to know). I'm hoping to install my windows xp home edition with sp2 via bootcamp.

However, this disc came from an 1 and half year old pc, and when i was given it, i don't think i was given the serial number/ key code thingy. there is only a small code on the back of the paper wallet that the disc came in (about 8 digits, can't be too sure at the mo cos i'm in school). Does this sound right? Or do i need a different code?

P.S. It is a completely genuine cd, and i plan one wiping it off of my older pc before installing it on my mac. :rolleyes: just thought i needed to add that

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
You need a code that's something like this (X represents any letter or number):
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
there should be a code on the pc which its from.

I'm pretty certain that that disk is an oem in which case according to the t&c's from ms it is illegal to install the copy on another computer even if the other one is no longer in use.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
It probably won't work. I tried it with a copy of xp home that came from my year old compaq. You can, however, use an old win 98se disk with a new Windows xp upgrade cd (which you can buy for $50-$70 as they go on sale often -- CompUSA had it for $49.99 a few weeks ago). Works fine.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
there should be a code on the pc which its from.

I'm pretty certain that that disk is an oem in which case according to the t&c's from ms it is illegal to install the copy on another computer even if the other one is no longer in use.

This is quite true the OEM license is non-transferable. However, you can get a new OEM copy off of newegg for $90. This also includes an upgrade coupon for Windows Vista, then you can upgrade to Vista for a significantly reduced price. I would get Windows Media Center Edition as it allows for the upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium while XP Home gives the cheap upgrade for Vista Home Basic.

I do not know however if Windows Media Center Edition 2005 is supported by Bootcamp.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
That's how I read the EULA too, but others have been successful in installing and activating a previously used OEM license, so I won't say it's impossible or illegal since MS is free to interpret the license as they see fit on a case by case basis. Just don't expect it to work.

There have also been reports that the Vista upgrade as advertised by Newegg might not apply unless you buy the license with the new computer it is to be installed on... If that's a factor you may just wish to wait for Vista OEM to become available...

And no MCE is not supported and reports of success have been limited. The problem is twofold, multi-disc install with no eject button and that the Boot Camp drivers for XP don't work on MCE which apparently wants slightly different drivers for some devices...

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.