PDA

View Full Version : Looking for MP3 player for subway/workout/skiing

wannabeconvert
Dec 15, 2006, 08:41 AM
Hello every one,

I am looking to buy my first MP3 player or iPod. I am not very fond of MP3s generally spaeking and I don't download music. However, I own a few thousand CDs. Currently, I am still using a decent portable CD player with really good head phones (Sure). For the train that is still ok but now I want to work out again. So I'd be willing to trade in some sound quality for the ease of an iPod (or similar). And I must admit, it is a tempting idea to have my favorite 100 CDs (or more) readily available with me.

I'd prefer the size and battery life of the Nano though I see that for the same kind of money I could also get the "big" iPod e.g. the 30GB model where I could store more music at a higher quality setting.

Here are my questions to the iPod experts:

1. How reliable are the permanent memory Nanos vs the hard drive models? Again, I a want to use it for workout/running/skiing etc.

2. The "big" iPods obviously now come with "gapless" firmware for playing classical/jazz/live albums etc. I'd like that since a lot of my music should be played back gapless. This does not work yet on the new Nanos, does it? But I am ok with storing an entire album as one song if necessary.

3. Are the hard drive models problematic for running/skiing/workout etc?

Chundles
Dec 15, 2006, 08:55 AM
1. Nanos are much better suited for running. Without moving parts the nano doesn't run the risk of damaging the storage medium. I wouldn't even consider running with a HDD iPod.

2. The new nanos support gapless playback. You just have to make sure you've tagged the album as Gapless in iTunes.

3. Yes, running or working out with a HDD may never damage your iPod but I wouldn't even consider doing so just because the idea of subjecting a tiny HDD with spinning platters and heads and stuff to the shocks of a workout to be like playing russian roulette.

eb6
Dec 15, 2006, 08:58 AM
I would recommend the nano. "Big" iPods aren't meant for running or working out. The hard drive won't last long. The size of the nano is also beneficial.

If finances aren't an issue, I think your ideal situation would be to have a nano for workout and skiing, and a video iPod for the subway. Just my opinion though.

MacBoobsPro
Dec 15, 2006, 09:00 AM
I hear the Zune is the next iPod killer. :rolleyes:

Its the size of a house brick and brown. What more do you want? :D

Seriously though have you considered a new iPod shuffle? They are aimed at gym folk like yourself.

wannabeconvert
Dec 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
1. Nanos are much better suited for running. Without moving parts the nano doesn't run the risk of damaging the storage medium. I wouldn't even consider running with a HDD iPod.

2. The new nanos support gapless playback. You just have to make sure you've tagged the album as Gapless in iTunes.

3. Yes, running or working out with a HDD may never damage your iPod but I wouldn't even consider doing so just because the idea of subjecting a tiny HDD with spinning platters and heads and stuff to the shocks of a workout to be like playing russian roulette.

Thank you guys. That is exactly what I thought. Common sense, I suppose. So the trade off is only space, everything else seems to be better on the Nano. However, I figure that I can still save roughly a 100 or more albums on the 8GB model, which is still a 100x more than what I have right now ;-)

Is there any link to the gapless option on the new Nano? It specifically states on the Apple webpage that the new regular iPod is gapless but it does not say that about the Nano. Any one tried it?

Thanks again.

Chundles
Dec 15, 2006, 09:05 AM
Thank you guys. That is exactly what I thought. Common sense, I suppose. So the trade off is only space, everything else seems to be better on the Nano. However, I figure that I can still save roughly a 100 or more albums on the 8GB model, which is still a 100x more than what I have right now ;-)

Is there any link to the gapless option on the new Nano? It specifically states on the Apple webpage that the new regular iPod is gapless but it does not say that about the Nano. Any one tried it?

Thanks again.

Don't really have a link but gapless definitely works on the new nanos.

wannabeconvert
Dec 15, 2006, 09:07 AM
I hear the Zune is the next iPod killer. :rolleyes:

Its the size of a house brick and brown. What more do you want? :D

Seriously though have you considered a new iPod shuffle? They are aimed at gym folk like yourself.

Correct me if I am wrong but the shuffle plays songs randomly, doesn't it? Since I usually listen to entire albums that would not work for me I suppose.

Chundles
Dec 15, 2006, 09:09 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but the shuffle plays songs randomly, doesn't it? Since I usually listen to entire albums that would not work for me I suppose.

It shuffles songs if you tell it to shuffle songs. You could load your albums on the shuffle in order and play them in order but I'm not sure the shuffle supports gapless playback - I wouldn't think so as it kind of defeats the whole "shuffle" philosophy.

eb6
Dec 15, 2006, 09:10 AM
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/sep/12nano.html

4th para. Or just search "nano gapless" on apple site.:)

MacBoobsPro
Dec 15, 2006, 09:11 AM

Not entirely sure as i dont have one but I thought there was a switch to select random or systematic?

wannabeconvert
Dec 15, 2006, 09:15 AM
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/sep/12nano.html

4th para. Or just search "nano gapless" on apple site.:)

bingo!

So now it is only a question of pricing them out.