Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surajnangia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Hi

I am planning to buy an ipod for myself.
Confused abt buying the ipod 30 GB or NANo 8 GB.
Wont be using it for videos as such///
How do u rate the ipod nano 8 GB.
How many songs can i fit into that ifrom my itunes. In my itunes songs are in apple lossless format.. i dont think its worth waiting for a new one as dont know when and what typpe it will be..

Plz let me know..
Thanks

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
If you won't be using your iPod for videos, I'd surely get the 8GB (black or red) Nano. The iPod nano was just updated in September, so an update soon would be unlikely. Also, if you are interested in the Nike+iPod Sport Kit, jogging, walking, running, or working out with an iPod, the nano should be your choice. If you move a lot with the 30GB Video (which has a hard drive that spins), you increase your chance of getting a hard drive failure. The Nano uses flash memory which doesn't move, and therefore can be used in heavy activity.

The 8GB Nano should hold about 2,000 songs, while the 30GB Video should hold about 7,500 songs.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The 8GB Nano should hold about 2,000 songs, while the 30GB Video should hold about 7,500 songs.

But nowhere near that many if you leave them in Lossless compression. To fit more than 400 - 500 songs on the 8 Gb Nano you will have to use some form of lossy compression - AAC or MP3. Try converting the same song several different bitrates of AAC and listen to the differences - choose the lowest bitrate that you cannot hear significant differences to the Lossless.

abeyk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
If you won't be using your iPod for videos, I'd surely get the 8GB (black or red) Nano. The iPod nano was just updated in September, so an update soon would be unlikely. Also, if you are interested in the Nike+iPod Sport Kit, jogging, walking, running, or working out with an iPod, the nano should be your choice. If you move a lot with the 30GB Video (which has a hard drive that spins), you increase your chance of getting a hard drive failure. The Nano uses flash memory which doesn't move, and therefore can be used in heavy activity.

Also the nano has much better battery life and is a lot smaller

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.