Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Why do my PowerBook power adapters keep breaking? The adapter that came with my computer wore down at the computer end from bending back and forth over one year. It left me with a section of exposed wire that eventually created a spark (luckily I was there when it happened).

It didn't work after that, so I looked for a new one. They are EIGHTY DOLLARS to buy. Just a power adapter.. So I got on eBay and bought an older one in good condition that was compatible.

The one I got on eBay just stopped working. Currently I am relying on my brother to charge my batteries while I am at school so that I can continue using my computer.

Why are these adapters of such a bad quality? I've read reviews online saying that they are poorly designed for durability. This is a laptop, so the power adapter is going to be moved around A LOT. Doesn't Apple get that?

To give them credit, the new MagSafe adapters for MacBooks look to me to be better, but that doesn't help me with my PowerBook..

Any thoughts?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've had three portables...my two newest ones (2 and 2.5 years old) have had no problems whatsoever. My oldest one finally gave out (same sparking issue) after 5+ years of use. I picked up a replacement from someone here on MacRumors for $5+shipping. You obviously would have a hard time finding a deal like that for a newer adapter, but you should be able to find something.

I don't know what else to say...my only personal experience shows the adapters to last at least five years if you treat them well. That could change with my other adapters, but (knock on wood) so far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.