Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savings

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2006
With the most recent builds, you can just drag a file or folder from the finder onto a windowed Parallels to transfer the file.

Or, you can set up Shared Folders between Parallels and OS X in the Parallels Shared Folders area of the Parallels settings for that particular virtual machine.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
the drag and drop didnt work. dont know how to set the file sharing stuff

Assuming you have an official release of Parallels (i.e., not the 3036-38 beta), when you open Parallels click on the Edit button. In the window that opens you will see an item called Shared Folders. Click on that, and then click on the + button above (and slightly to the left) of the Help button. In the window that opens navigate to the folder you want to set up for sharing with Windows. Unless you really want to restrict sharing (not sure why anyone would), I recommend you simply select the root folder so that the entire mac partition is shared.

Now when you are in Windows under Parallels, you will see an icon with a caption Parallels Shared Folders on the desktop. Double click on that. You probably will just get a standard File Manger Window with no sign of those darn shared folders. You need to click on My Network Places. You will the see Parallels Shared Folders. The rest is self explanatory.

To simplify access to a Parallels shared folder in the future, select a Parallels shared folder in the File Manager, right click your mouse and select Map Network Drive... Choose a drive letter (e.g., E: ) and press Finish. You will now see the drive letter appear in the File Manager as if the Parallels shared folder was another Windows hard disk.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?

So did I - that's where I found the answer - here's one snippet that talks about it.

I just discovered this today, through my user manual for Parallels. First, I opened Windows XP VM and shut it down (because I have parallels starting windows for me automatically), but did exit Parallels. In the configuration window for Windows XP, I selected edit. Next, I enabled shared folders. After enabling the shared folder, I click on the + button and told it to share my Mac OS X hard drive and called the shared folder "Home" (you can name it whatever you want). Next, I turn on the Windows XP VM and went into Parallels Shared folders and there was the folder I setup. Do not forget to save the configuration that was just made or you would have to set everything up again. If anyone has any questions about this, please consult your user guide/manual (starts on page 135), if you have one.

Hope this helps. There is also a good set of documentation available under the support tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.