Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
hi guys,

just pulled my new cannon d400 out the box and am wondering how long to charge the battery for, since the manual doesn't say.

also, anyone got any experience with this camera, its my first slr so any tips would be really useful

thanks in advance

student_trap

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Just charge it until the light turns green on the charger, but I don't think you're supposed to leave it in there longer than necessary.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Unless the charger is radically different from other Canon chargers, it should turn green when it's ready... you can leave it in the charger for an extra few hours if you want, but I doubt it makes any real difference. The battery technology on SLRs isn't really particularly different from P&S camera batteries.

My only advice is that, if you are coming from P&S to dSLR (as opposed to film SLR -> dSLR), then read the manual, and start learning how to work the controls. Invest time in understanding what happens when you change the shuttering speed, what happens when you aperture down, how to control the light meter, how to manually focus, etc, etc.

A related piece of advice is that if you are using a zoom lens, a good exercise is to fix it at a single zoom, and then experiment with only taking pictures at that zoom, moving your body around instead. One of the biggest mistakes people who use P&S cameras make is that these two things are equivalent -- they're not.

Anyway, congratulations, and make sure to post pictures here! ;)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
To quote Canon...

After the lamp lights, continue to recharge the battery for 1 hour to attain a full charge.

Have a look in your handbook .....

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
thanks for the replies guys, ive now been using the camera for a while now and i have to say that it is fantastic, such amazing quality! there is so much to learn but thats part of the fun, ive been constantly experimenting, mostly with shutter speed and white balence and iso, but every time i think that ive got the idea of something, a whole other button changes everything again...its just so versatile! amazing! i am literally enjoying this too much, sorry to go all excited on you guys, but this is one hell of a fun piece of kit!

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
Hi student_trap,

what camera did you have before the D400? I should be getting one very soon and I'm hoping its good. I just wondered where you were coming from Camera-wise. :)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hi student_trap,

what camera did you have before the D400? I should be getting one very soon and I'm hoping its good. I just wondered where you were coming from Camera-wise. :)

well i have played around on slr's before (my girlfriend has a 35mm nikon), but never had one myself. previously i was using a sony P&S that cost about £400 around 4 years ago, so it is very different! I have noticed a stuck pixel on the lcd on the back of the camera, but cant see it being to troublesome so am not worried about it its a great camera, i chose canon (as opposed to nikon/pentax etc) because i liked the weight/size and my friend has a 350D with a couple of lenses that i can borrow, so it was a no-brainer! the 400D is wonderful, and i'm really looking forward to all the time ill have with it, and im sure (if it feels right in your hands), then it will be great for you too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.