PDA

View Full Version : Running/Working out with new iPod

thekaiser
May 4, 2003, 03:22 PM
Well, I just got a new 15GB iPod yesterday at Best Buy. It is a wonderful machine. However, can you run or work out with it? Have any of you guys had good or bad experiences with this. Apple says nowhere in the manual that you cannot. I just wasn't sure if the running would be bad for the hard disk. I was just wondering what everyone thought about this. Thanks.

Coca-Cola
May 4, 2003, 03:58 PM
My iPod fell off the top of my car to the asphalt below. Works just fine.

gbojim
May 4, 2003, 03:58 PM
I run with mine all the time. Have had it for about 6 mo now. No problem.

iJon
May 4, 2003, 04:58 PM
i think the only problem would be is skippping, at the ipod has excellent skip protection, mine has never skipped. ipods are tough as hell. ive dropped mine on asphalt, worked fine, i had a person drop theirs in water, i let it sit under a fan all night, let it condensate, and it fired back up the next day. i didnt take it skiing though because i was afraid it would freeze the hd.

iJon

xcalibur
May 4, 2003, 06:14 PM
even if the ipod doesnt skip (it wouldn't because of the memory buffer) isn't running with the ipod bad for the hard disc? i would think it is...hard discs have moving parts, unlike flash memory mp3 players..which are much better for running with :)

Grimace
May 4, 2003, 06:29 PM
It shouldn't affect a hard drive of that size. Larger (and older) ones weren't great with excessive movements.

hugemullens
May 4, 2003, 06:47 PM
ipods could go to war in iraq. Jogging wont hurt it at all. I've had mine close to a year. I even took it to winter carnival, and i'm as far north as you can go in michigan, and it had no problem outside for 5 hours. Great product ipod is........

SoonToGetAMac
May 4, 2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Coca-Cola
My iPod fell off the top of my car to the asphalt below. Works just fine. The real question is...what was a nice iPod doing on top of a car?:)

Anne
May 4, 2003, 10:48 PM
At least he didn't forget it on top of the car and drive off!:eek:

rainman::|:|
May 4, 2003, 11:05 PM
unless you're worried about cosmetic damage (scratches), don't baby your ipod. those buggers are tough as hell. i was always leery of hurting the HD's moving parts, but it doesn't seem to be an issue, and i've done some stupid things with mine-- even left it in a car overnight at about 10 degrees F. stupidly didn't wait for it to warm up, just turned it on, and immediately thought "crap, it's dead now"... turned out just fine :)

pnw

mmoin
May 5, 2003, 12:17 AM
the ipod is hardcore. my ipod's chrome back looks pretty terrible, but i must've logged about 100 hours of working out with it. it can take the punishment.