PDA

View Full Version : G3 iBook screen into a G4 iBook?

katie ta achoo
Dec 17, 2006, 10:11 PM
are these two LCDs swappable? Can I stick a G3 iBook Screen into a G4? I have no idea and I'd like to have some idea.
does the hinge and everything line up, too?

Thanks a bunch in advance! :)

livingfortoday
Dec 18, 2006, 07:13 AM
From what I've been able to find, you can stick a G4 screen in a G3, but not vice versa. I don't know why that would be, as you'd think if it went one way, it'd go the other. I haven't been able to see close-ups of the connectors on both screens, but if you can see that those match up, I'm sure at least the LCD panel would be swappable.

Good luck!

katie ta achoo
Dec 18, 2006, 10:58 PM
Oy vey!
I had no idea and there's no way I'm dissecting a G4 to find out!

Thanks!

disconap
Dec 18, 2006, 11:42 PM
It might work depending on the model. If it's an earlier G4, maybe; if it's a later G4, no way. but I think livingfortoday is correct...

I'm not sure the hinges would be swappable either, actually. Still, if you have them laying around, it would only take an hour or two to find out (and messing about with ibooks is pretty fun)...

Selenolycus
Dec 19, 2006, 12:45 AM
From what I've been able to find, you can stick a G4 screen in a G3, but not vice versa. I don't know why that would be, as you'd think if it went one way, it'd go the other.

Good luck!

Maybe it's like blood-types... except instead of antibodies and antigens its a power issue?

John777
Dec 20, 2007, 03:00 PM
are these two LCDs swappable? Can I stick a G3 iBook Screen into a G4? I have no idea and I'd like to have some idea.
does the hinge and everything line up, too?

Thanks a bunch in advance! :)

Not easily, that is for sure. I am in the middle of this very project right now. I am replacing the entire lid because the G4 lid's interior metal frame was broken. The connectors (on the logic board) for the reed switch/inverter cable and the microphone are different. I am now disassembling the G4 display to remove the cables and install them into the G3 display. I hope that works! ;)

zioxide
Dec 20, 2007, 04:43 PM
Not easily, that is for sure. I am in the middle of this very project right now. I am replacing the entire lid because the G4 lid's interior metal frame was broken. The connectors (on the logic board) for the reed switch/inverter cable and the microphone are different. I am now disassembling the G4 display to remove the cables and install them into the G3 display. I hope that works! ;)

Why would you bump a year old topic?

4JNA
Dec 20, 2007, 04:46 PM
Why would you bump a year old topic?

iBook ZOMBIE threads! they never die, well except for the display parts! :eek::)