PDA

View Full Version : Cisco (Not Apple) Launches 'iPhone'

Felldownthewell
Dec 17, 2006, 11:49 PM
Engadget has it that Cisco just released a VoIP phone named the iPhone, which means that Apple's product will not be named the iPhone.

Engadget's Story (http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/18/cisco-not-apple-announces-iphone-branded-voip-phones/)

GoCubsGo
Dec 17, 2006, 11:52 PM
Good because iphone is kind of lame. Regardless, Cisco's release looks very nice.

shadowsintherai
Dec 17, 2006, 11:57 PM
It's looking like Apple's iPhone is now the eWorld...??

As of midnight tonight, and not before (I searched through midnight to be sure), a google search for "iphone" is now taking you to eWorld.com which comes up as the apple.com homepage with "eworld.com" as the url. No redirect.

Is it the Apple eWorld, then? Hmmmm....

-S

ahuman7341
Dec 18, 2006, 01:26 AM
In that case could it be the apple mammals, because apple does have mammals.org redirecting to the apple site.

shadowsintherai
Dec 18, 2006, 01:34 AM
I'm not hinting at anything, I'm just saying that it would have to be a REALLY huge coincidence or a deliberate apple fakeout (or hedge, if they don't yet have a name) to make their FIRST priority (specifically at midnight last night) to redirect the google search term "iPhone" to eWorld.com (which is actually apple.com).

It doesn't just redirect you to apple.com, the url is actually eworld.com.

That HAS to be deliberate...for whatever it's worth.

-S

EricNau
Dec 18, 2006, 01:45 AM
I'm not hinting at anything, I'm just saying that it would have to be a REALLY huge coincidence or a deliberate apple fakeout (or hedge, if they don't yet have a name) to make their FIRST priority (specifically at midnight last night) to redirect the google search term "iPhone" to eWorld.com (which is actually apple.com).

It doesn't just redirect you to apple.com, the url is actually eworld.com.

That HAS to be deliberate...for whatever it's worth.

-S
Perhaps Google (not Apple) made those changes.

mfacey
Dec 18, 2006, 01:52 AM
Kind of a bummer for Cisco though. Anybody searching for iPhone in Google will find mostly Apple's so-called iPhone. Kind of a poorly chosen name by Cisco!

shadowsintherai
Dec 18, 2006, 01:52 AM
I HIGHLY doubt that. It takes money and planning to get a search keyword up that high on the list. Take into account that Cisco is releasing the iPhone TODAY and EWORLD.COM (apple.com) has the redirect for the word "iphone" ABOVE Cisco starting EXACTLY at midnight of the same day...

That is NOT coincidence.

Apple may very well announce it has a mobile phone product today, you never know...and it MIGHT be called eWorld...?? Who knows...

-S

Nermal
Dec 18, 2006, 01:59 AM
It wouldn't be the first time that Apple's recycled a name.

Analog Kid
Dec 18, 2006, 01:59 AM
This does, of course, raise the question of how many other "iPhone" rumors (manufacturing in China, for example) were confused by the name.

mfacey
Dec 18, 2006, 02:52 AM
This does, of course, raise the question of how many other "iPhone" rumors (manufacturing in China, for example) were confused by the name.

And Gizmodo was also right with their prediction that the iPhone would be released today :D

Poff
Dec 18, 2006, 03:00 AM
you beat me to it.. kind of sad, imo. I liked the thought of Apple iPhone name..

Whiteapple
Dec 18, 2006, 03:10 AM
That amused me quite a lot.

Folks over at Cisco must have been laughing their ***** off while spotting mac users browsing MacRumors hitting F5 to see what was happening on monday.

This rumor is a pile of siht

kkthxbye

mfacey
Dec 18, 2006, 03:44 AM
That amused me quite a lot.

Folks over at Cisco must have been laughing their ***** off while spotting mac users browsing MacRumors hitting F5 to see what was happening on monday.

This rumor is a pile of siht

kkthxbye

I don't think they're laughing. Cisco has a bit of a problem on their hands because everybody is associating the iPhone name with Apple and not them. It'll take a while for that to wear off and for the correct association to be created. Sounds like a truly painful process for Cisco!

MacBoobsPro
Dec 18, 2006, 03:49 AM
It had to be white too didnt it? :rolleyes:

CrackedButter
Dec 18, 2006, 04:40 AM
The iPhone did launch today (Monday) as predicted by Gizmondo.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/18/linksys_launches_iphone/

It just isn't an Apple iPhone, still the good thing is that Apple will have a better name for it when theirs eventually comes out.

iŮaki'sonMac'87
Dec 18, 2006, 04:59 AM
Nice move by linksys, but I expect something more radicaly better by apple... there are too much expectatives...
is straneg that apple didn't protect the iphone brand, maybe they are going to lunch something like podphone, phonepod, phod :confused: macphone? appletel, hypertelegram pod :p i-morse :rolleyes: iv-tel (from internet video).... guess I can keep babling, and still apple is going to be able to surprise me... for good

ziwi
Dec 18, 2006, 05:27 AM
Well, at least we know what not to expect for a name...;)

MacRumors
Dec 18, 2006, 05:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

It appears that last minute rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061214214915.shtml) of an "iPhone" announcement today (Monday, December 18th) were true, but referred to a new product from Cisco and not Apple.

Cisco announced (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2006/tc20061218_465203.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_today%27s+top+stories) a series of Web-enabled telephone handsets designed to work with Voice over IP (VOIP) services.

Dennis Vogel, a product manager for Cisco, says the use of the iPhone name is part of a larger strategic vision concerning networked homes. Cisco CEO John Chambers will expand on that strategy in remarks at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January.

It's been known that Cisco held the unused U.S. trademark for "iPhone" in the U.S. after acquiring Infogear in 2000. Apple's association with the name has been the consequence of the "iPhone.org" domain that has been registered since 1999 as well as a series of foreign iPhone trademark registrations (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/12/20021203113133.shtml) by Apple over the past few years.

Over the past few months, there have been a flurry of rumors that Apple will be releasing a mobile phone version of their iPod to be released in the 1st half of 2007.

shunpike
Dec 18, 2006, 05:43 AM
oh well, it might come later - personally I'm going to buy an 8gb nano and gat the iPhone later (if it ever appears) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Digitaljim
Dec 18, 2006, 05:44 AM
I always thought iPhone sounded terrible.

Erasmus
Dec 18, 2006, 05:55 AM
Grab your torch, pitchforks and automatic weaponry, we're going to pay Cisco a visit!

Damn! All the plane seats are booked. Reckon I can swim?

Pity. I think iPhone is a cool name. Looks like I'll be getting myself an awesome new model touchscreen iPod after Macworld then.

BenRoethig
Dec 18, 2006, 05:57 AM
Still, considering the name and design of that product, how much you want to bet Apple legal is going to give Linksys/Cisco a little call? This will become the IoPhone within a week.

emotion
Dec 18, 2006, 06:06 AM
iPod Phone it is. They'd be stupid not to market a phone as an ipod that just happens to be a phone. You can justify ipod level prices (with slight premium for phone) then. This is assuming apple don't have any network subsidization.

Anyway, I think some people predicted this gizmodo 'iphone', guaranteed to be released today, was by someone else.

Dec 18, 2006, 06:08 AM
Well, if Cisco really has iPhone as a registered trademark in the US, I don't think there is much Apple Legal can do, apart from trying to enforce its rights in other countries, or perhaps seeking an agreement to license them to Cisco. Besides, a domain name registration means little without prior registration and use of the mark in the real world.

Honestly, I couldn't "yawn" more...the iPhone is, by definition, a boring thing that has been rumoured for 1000 years, be it from Apple or anyone else. Whatever launch Cisco does will NOT have any impact on the ordinary phone market for a looooong time...

I much prefer a 12" MBP than a million variations of iPhone; besides, my RAZR is working well with my 12-mo contract, thanks very much.

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN...

BeyondCloister
Dec 18, 2006, 06:11 AM
Still, considering the name and design of that product, how much you want to bet Apple legal is going to give Linksys/Cisco a little call? This will become the IoPhone within a week.

Well seeing as Infogear had it registered back in 1999 not much they can do is there?

emotion
Dec 18, 2006, 06:14 AM
Well seeing as Infogear had it registered back in 1999 not much they can do is there?

Exactly, the name 'iphone' sucked anyway. iComm is better and even that's rubbish. :)

Uragon
Dec 18, 2006, 06:22 AM
hahaha, any iphone(?) news should be for next year.....

Coheebuzz
Dec 18, 2006, 06:25 AM
iPod Phone it is. They'd be stupid not to market a phone as an ipod that just happens to be a phone. You can justify ipod level prices (with slight premium for phone) then. This is assuming apple don't have any network subsidization.

Anyway, I think some people predicted this gizmodo 'iphone', guaranteed to be released today, was by someone else.

Or what about MacPhone? I never really expected Apple to use the iPhone name.

But you are right, it makes sense for Apple to release the phone as another addition to the iPod family, something like 'iPod talk'. A completely different product that would play music and have talking features would kill the iPod, so the best thing to do is add it to their current iPod lineup.

Stridder44
Dec 18, 2006, 06:26 AM
http://thegenome.googlepages.com/iPwnd_by_MrMonday.jpg

aricher
Dec 18, 2006, 06:34 AM
Looks like Gizmodo was right after all - it's not what we thought.

BornAgainMac
Dec 18, 2006, 06:35 AM
Apple isn't going to do a phone. They are going to just focus on a killer gaming system to compete with Xbox instead (jk). We have to live with crappy phones interfaces that don't sync well with Macs forever.

Yonizzle
Dec 18, 2006, 06:42 AM
Looks like Gizmodo was right after all - it's not what we thought.

Just like I called it in the other thread (which I haven't the time to look up at the moment)

superleccy
Dec 18, 2006, 06:49 AM
Looking forward now to buying an "Apple ChatPod" in Q1 next year. ;)

eeyoredragon
Dec 18, 2006, 06:51 AM
Hmm... first crash I've ever had on my MacBook Pro from following that link... O.o

SciTeach
Dec 18, 2006, 06:54 AM
In the immortal words of Nelson from the Simpsons....

HA!

HA!

Compile 'em all
Dec 18, 2006, 07:04 AM
They are going to just focus on a killer gaming system to compete with Xbox instead (jk).

Why on earth would they do that? :confused:

mister880
Dec 18, 2006, 07:06 AM
Apple already owns the iCHAT mark they would be foolish not to use iCHAT Mobile Headset for a mobile device. With the built in features of iCHAT, Safari Mobile, Works Mobile, Inkwell technology.

iCHAT mobile headset would sync via net to your .mac account, would also allow for mobile features to .mac such as camera phone uploads to .mac, mobile blogging.

Also expect to see support for iTUNES sync as well. When you buy a song on the go from your mobile it will also be added to your iTunes as well.

zapp
Dec 18, 2006, 07:12 AM
We have to live with crappy phones interfaces that don't sync well with Macs forever.

I agree mostly with that statement, the phone interface sucks, but syncing works great with my RAZR using isync, does address, calendar no problem, with no added software, and I can pull the photos, and recordings off of it with no problem. It is the only phone I have been able to do it with. Of course when apple makes their phone it will be a lot better.

Hattig
Dec 18, 2006, 07:12 AM

The iPhone trademark belongs to Cisco, not Apple, at least in the USA.

That's why all the iPhone stuff has been ridiculous from the start - it never was going to be the name of the device unless Apple purchased the name from Cisco.

There may well be a phone being made by Apple, but it will be called something else. iCell. iMobile. iChat-in-yer-hand-inniiiit.

That, or everyone has been confused by these Cisco phones from the beginning, as a couple of them look quite nicely designed. In which case expect Apple stock to tank when nothing is announced.

Hattig
Dec 18, 2006, 07:16 AM
I agree mostly with that statement, the phone interface sucks, but syncing works great with my RAZR using isync, does address, calendar no problem, with no added software, and I can pull the photos, and recordings off of it with no problem. It is the only phone I have been able to do it with. Of course when apple makes their phone it will be a lot better.

Seconded, same with my Motorola Razr V3i. I was surprised when my iBook recognised it and then synced everything - including contact photos (well, only from the phone to the Mac, not the other way).

The phone interface isn't great, but it's not the worst I've used either.

MOFS
Dec 18, 2006, 07:20 AM
The iPhone trademark belongs to Cisco, not Apple, at least in the USA.

That's why all the iPhone stuff has been ridiculous from the start - it never was going to be the name of the device unless Apple purchased the name from Cisco.

There may well be a phone being made by Apple, but it will be called something else. iCell. iMobile. iChat-in-yer-hand-inniiiit.

That, or everyone has been confused by these Cisco phones from the beginning, as a couple of them look quite nicely designed. In which case expect Apple stock to tank when nothing is announced.

Yeah this really makes you wonder whether all the Apple "iPhone" rumours were about this. Is here anything thats been mentioned that couldn't apply to this?

mkrishnan
Dec 18, 2006, 07:22 AM
So now that we know what it is, does anyone actually want one?

Because, yeah, erm, the 1000 minutes + free nights/weekends my cell has are really so insufficient for me that I need a wifi phone too? :o

Morky
Dec 18, 2006, 07:26 AM
iPod. Seriously. The iPod was a brilliant name because it says nothing about music, unlike the Zune (rhyming with tune). Apple can extend the functionality of the iPod as much as it likes and not need to change the name. I suspect they'll call it the iPod Phone.

Plymouthbreezer
Dec 18, 2006, 07:28 AM
How fake.

LostPacket
Dec 18, 2006, 07:35 AM
The iPod was a brilliant name because it says nothing about music, unlike the Zune (rhyming with tune). Apple can extend the functionality of the iPod as much as it likes and not need to change the name. I suspect they'll call it the iPod Phone.

I agree, except my favourite so far is iPod Mobile.

bigandy
Dec 18, 2006, 07:37 AM
i'm sure i saw a picture of that before. maybe it was the Belkin one (below) but it was white. and either Belkin or Lynksis.

i like the idea of a WiFi phone, i almost bought this one yesterday.....

http://www.belkin.com/skype/images/STD1_skype.jpg

zim
Dec 18, 2006, 07:50 AM
iPod. Seriously. The iPod was a brilliant name because it says nothing about music, unlike the Zune (rhyming with tune). Apple can extend the functionality of the iPod as much as it likes and not need to change the name. I suspect they'll call it the iPod Phone.

I agree.. just use the iPod name and build on to it. The iPod is already the center of my digital life for transferring work files, listening to music, watching movies (my own and others), looking at photos.. so ya, just build the communication technology right inside.

i'm sure i saw a picture of that before. maybe it was the Belkin one (below) but it was white. and either Belkin or Lynksis.

Not that's a nice looking phone.

dernhelm
Dec 18, 2006, 07:52 AM
There's a shocker. The idiot from Gizmodo was pulling our leg.

Now can we stop posting rumors from that site on the front page?

brepublican
Dec 18, 2006, 07:53 AM
Dang. 43 negatives explain it all...

:mad:

imacpr0n
Dec 18, 2006, 07:56 AM
Not only is the iPhone not an Apple product. It doesn't even work with the Macintosh. See the "Data Sheet" on the CIT2000 (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1127783455701&packedargs=site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper) product page. It requires Windows XP or 2000.

Isidore
Dec 18, 2006, 07:58 AM
Oh well, there is always iFone, but will they get taken to court because it sounds the same?

hagjohn
Dec 18, 2006, 07:58 AM

I have no issues syncing with iSync'ing my Nokia either.

hagjohn
Dec 18, 2006, 08:02 AM

This one... http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WIP320-Wireless-G-Skype-phone/dp/B000JI5L02/sr=1-7/qid=1166450476/ref=sr_1_7/002-0467335-3785611?ie=UTF8&s=pc

Eraserhead
Dec 18, 2006, 08:04 AM

Same here with my Nokia, so we can say that iSync is great, phone interfaces not so, I agree with LostPacket, iPod Mobile is much more plausible than iPhone.

dornoforpyros
Dec 18, 2006, 08:08 AM
HAHAHA that's f'n hilarious! I can hear it now, the sounds of 100 fan boys crying.

heisetax
Dec 18, 2006, 08:09 AM
Apple isn't going to do a phone. They are going to just focus on a killer gaming system to compete with Xbox instead (jk). We have to live with crappy phones interfaces that don't sync well with Macs forever.

Would any cell phone co. allow easy syncing of phones with their system.

ShavenYak
Dec 18, 2006, 08:10 AM

I have a 6682, which replaced my lost 6600. Works wonderfully with iSync too. But, you can only sync the calendar and contacts. I imagine if Apple made a phone, the camera would automatically sync photos into iPhoto, it would sync music and ringtones with iTunes, sync bookmarks to the mobile web browser from Safari, and more.

However, most people already have a mobile - and a contract. Perhaps a smarter course for Apple to take would be an iPod with touchscreen, PDA functionality, a web browser, and such, which could connect to a phone via Bluetooth and act as a headset, Web browser, email and iChat client, mobile game system, or whatever.

Warbrain
Dec 18, 2006, 08:10 AM
Well, that's quite funny. How many people **** themselves?

kirk26
Dec 18, 2006, 08:12 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Mac community=pwnd!

Ace25
Dec 18, 2006, 08:17 AM
It is time for a new naming schematic anyway.

i-anything is over played and not clever anymore.

As Apple has stated, the new "iTV" will be renamed something else. I am assuming that whatever it is renamed will be inline with the new iPod phone name.

Just like all the computers are going towards Mac instead of i-(something). The other products should move on as well (even the iMac).

Uragon
Dec 18, 2006, 08:18 AM
what about, iPhoney

hob
Dec 18, 2006, 08:21 AM
I like the idea that one might have:

iPod Shuffle
iPod Nano
iPod Video
iPod Chat (cell phone)
iPod Smartphone

Buttt... still my only reservation here is that it looks like to have an iPod large enough to store all my music it'd be a video iPod, which I don't want or need, and that the iPod Chat would supposedly only have 4GB or 8GB space...

kenaustus
Dec 18, 2006, 08:22 AM
About he only thing Apple can do is require a large disclaimer on the iPhone box stating that the iPhone is in no way associated with Apple Computer. They might be able to get this from a court because of the overwhelming public association of iPhone with Apple.

pake
Dec 18, 2006, 08:22 AM

Exactly! As the ipod shuffle is an ipod shuffle because of its mayor characteristic, and the nano a nano. The new iPod would be the iPod phone!
totally agree, lets call it the ipod phone now.

freeny
Dec 18, 2006, 08:34 AM
Funniest thing ive seen all year! :D

Xeem
Dec 18, 2006, 08:39 AM
Although I thought the announcement was funny, Gizmodo has lost some of its (already small) credibility in my eyes.

daysleeper
Dec 18, 2006, 08:45 AM
Give me a phone with:

1. A high-contrast, always-on screen so I can see the date and time without turning on the backlight and draining batteries, even in full sunshine
2. An interface that is even moderately user friendly, and does not result in me accidentally canceling out of a menu when I keep hitting the "wrong" buttons, which seem more intuitive than the "right" ones
3. A way that I can create/download my own ringtones and/or pictures from my computer over bluetooth, without purchasing an additional cable
4. A phone with a display that does not light up my entire bedroom all night when plugged in and charging
5. A phone that does not *CHIRP* loudly in my ear when I'm talking, to let me know there is a new text/voice message
6. A phone that does not waste energy on an ultra-bright display and ridiculously over-the-top sound/vibration notifications that my battery is dying when I'm trying to get 30 more seconds of call time in, effectively robbing me of those 30 seconds
7. A way to type txt msgs that does not result in me giving up out of frustration halfway through
8. A charging cradle/cord that always works, and does not constantly disconnect/reconnect when I'm talking while recharging (bLEEP!... bloop...BLEEP!...bloop...), usually when I'm in the middle of a phone interview
9. A display encasing that does not become clogged with pocket lint that enters through the external speaker grill

If you do all of this, I will buy a phone from you the instant it comes out. I will pay the penalty to get out of my Verizon plan. I will tell all my friends.

Oh, and if you have time after 1-9, I could use (10.) music player capabilities.

imacintel
Dec 18, 2006, 08:47 AM
I think that a neat name would be AirConnect. It hasn't been used and it's unique.

amoda
Dec 18, 2006, 08:47 AM
So what happens to all the Apple iphone rumors? The dual-batteries, the touch screen, the 4Gb and 8Gb models for their respective prices, made of metal and all that stuff?

Is it still somewhat possible except they got the name wrong? Or does it all go down the drain for now?

Edit: I know it sounds as if i'm asking you guys as if you work for Apple but i'm just asking if you could share your past rumor-reading experiances.

imacintel
Dec 18, 2006, 08:50 AM
So what happens to all the Apple iphone rumors? The dual-batteries, the touch screen, the 4Gb and 8Gb models for their respective prices, made of metal and all that stuff?

Is it still somewhat possible except they got the name wrong? Or does it all go down the drain for now?

Edit: I know it sounds as if i'm asking you guys as if you work for Apple but i'm just asking if you could share your past rumor-reading experiances.

I think it would be the same rumors, just without iPhone name.

Lunja
Dec 18, 2006, 08:57 AM
I think that a neat name would be AirConnect. It hasn't been used and it's unique.

I like it, but I'm rooting for "AirPod". Infact, I'm going to exert intellectual copyright over that. Steve, if you want it, make mine an iMac (I'm not greedy you see:rolleyes: )

EDIT: Oh, and a 0.1% share of profits would be nice:)
EDIT AGAIN: Or WiPod, as in Wireless iPod.

CEAbiscuit
Dec 18, 2006, 09:06 AM
I hate to admit it, but I'm laughing like Woody Woodpecker right now...

Nym
Dec 18, 2006, 09:07 AM
Someone suggested Teleport a while ago, I like it a lot :)

autrefois
Dec 18, 2006, 09:12 AM
It's been known that Cisco held the unused U.S. trademark for "iPhone" in the U.S. after acquiring Infogear in 2000.

IMO, Macrumors might have done a better job of emphasizing this in the numerous "iPhone" rumors it has been reporting on...

I think a lot of people will initially think it's an Apple phone because of the i- naming scheme and since rumors of an Apple phone have even been making the mainstream media. But if Cisco has the trademark, I don't think they're going to have to give it up, unless it's at the end of a long, protacted legal battle with Apple that I don't think Apple will pursue.

Cisco will probably get some added sales due to the name of their phone, but hopefully if/once the Apple phone comes out it will be good enough that people will snatch it up whatever its name is.

bluecomb7878
Dec 18, 2006, 09:19 AM
You know what, Apple may go with their not-too-interesting naming scheme that follows their intel mac's.

iBook -> MacBook

Thus,

iPhone -> MacPhone

As gay as it is, its a complete possibility.

ts1973
Dec 18, 2006, 09:21 AM
http://thegenome.googlepages.com/iPwnd_by_MrMonday.jpg

That hit the spot Stridder44 :D

Hahaha, I just had a good laugh, at Apple that is. And a little at myself too :rolleyes: This will teach us all to be just a little more carefull with rumors and hypes in the future ;)

Edit: to the side, I'm actually in the market for an iPod smartphone to replace my SE P900. So I am just a little disappointed. Just a little :s

emotion
Dec 18, 2006, 09:25 AM
iPhone -> MacPhone

PodPhone is more likely. They want to align this thing with ipods not macs.

arn
Dec 18, 2006, 09:26 AM
The release of an "iPhone" by Cisco doesn't in any way affect the existing Apple Phone rumors.

"iPhone" was just an easy name adopted by everyone to talk about an Apple phone. It was also reinforced when Apple applied for iPhone trademarks in other countries.

The rumors are still as valid (or in-valid) as they were before the release of the Cisco iPhone. None of the rumors stated that the name would be "iPhone".

I agree, I think if/when Apple does release an iPod phone, it will be called iPod (w/ Phone). Much like the iPod (w/ Video) exists.

arn

Arcus
Dec 18, 2006, 09:26 AM
Ok, so here are some alternative phone names:

iCall
iRing
iTelemarket
iCalledU
iTele
iCommunicate
iTwoCansAndAReallyLongString
iWhereYouAt

dejo
Dec 18, 2006, 09:27 AM
So, who owns the iPhone name and just released new products: Cisco or Linksys? I've seen conflicting stories.

Dec 18, 2006, 09:28 AM

Teleport is a registered mark of Global Village Communications; I had a (great) modem bearing that name 10 years ago with my Quadra 605...:rolleyes:

emotion
Dec 18, 2006, 09:30 AM
Would any cell phone co. allow easy syncing of phones with their system.

Nokia and SE phones sync reasonably well with iSync do they not?

emotion
Dec 18, 2006, 09:30 AM
So, who owns the iPhone name and just released new products: Cisco or Linksys? I've seen conflicting stories.

Same people. Cisco aquired Linksys.

dejo
Dec 18, 2006, 09:31 AM
Same people. Cisco aquired Linksys.
Ah, didn't know that. Alright, thanks!

Katharine
Dec 18, 2006, 09:32 AM

Cisco is the parent company of Linksys

imikem
Dec 18, 2006, 09:33 AM

Cisco owns Linksys. Purchased the company a couple of years ago to help them sell at the low end with less cannibalization of their expensive gear sales.

sachamun
Dec 18, 2006, 09:35 AM
There's a shocker. The idiot from Gizmodo was pulling our leg.

Now can we stop posting rumors from that site on the front page?

Yeah I totally agree.
Rumors about rumors about non-Apple products aren't exactly 'macrumors'...and even if they are of marginal interest, there's a page 2.

Thataboy
Dec 18, 2006, 09:38 AM
Ha, I totally called that it would be some product by someone else.

Anyway, I think Apple will go 1 of 2 routes:

1. iPod mobile or iPod phone -- emphasizing that it is a music player with phone parts, not a phone with music parts.

2. Make it the rebirth of the Newton brand. I prefer this personally. They could even make it very 2007 by calling it Apple NWTN :) You get the basic Apple Newton and the smartphone Apple Newton Pro.

I think they'll go with iPod mobile though.

KindredMAC
Dec 18, 2006, 09:39 AM
snicker snicker giggle giggle ha ha snort snort

Silly little blind "iPhone" followers..... so many years... so many wasted beliefs...

gugy
Dec 18, 2006, 09:42 AM
good job Gizmodo. you kept your reputation intact!:D

cecildk9999
Dec 18, 2006, 09:43 AM
I agree that the 'i' brand is getting a little old, and that the shift to 'Mac' is definitely the trend. I could see the phone getting a name like 'MacMobile' (if it does have an OSX type interface), but then pronunciation might become a problem (is it a car or a phone?). Hopefully they'll go in a completely new direction with the name, but who knows what it'll end up as :confused:

adrianblaine
Dec 18, 2006, 10:01 AM
I think they'll go with iPod mobile though.

I don't see why they would call it iPod mobile since an iPod is already mobile. iPod implies mobile come to think of it, so it would be a double negative.

I'm not too worried what it will be called. I think the worst name Apple has come up with was MacBook Pro and even that isn't the most horrible thing in the world. I do enjoy reading about all the speculation about the name though.

Texas04
Dec 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
I wonder if the iPhone (from apple) will actually just be an iPod..... I mean if it will incorporate both functionalities (which it should) than why not just merge both products together. Market share is increasing and PC consumers would potentially buy the iPhone and only find one functionality (music), therefore saving money to buy a mac for more functionality with iChat.

Or the phone may come with iChat all together in its own little mini OS. (not requireing the buyer to have a Mac) This would allow the consumer to talk with mac users, and other iPhone users.. enough people already have ipods already... why not just make it a phone to?

And last thought is that there may be a video add on for the current ipods so that they can "talk" to other ipods through wifi and iChat... that would require one big software update though.

It will change the way we do video, and communication.

Thataboy
Dec 18, 2006, 10:06 AM
I don't see why they would call it iPod mobile since an iPod is already mobile. iPod implies mobile come to think of it, so it would be a double negative.

I'm not too worried what it will be called. I think the worst name Apple has come up with was MacBook Pro and even that isn't the most horrible thing in the world. I do enjoy reading about all the speculation about the name though.

A mobile is what most people in the world call a cell phone (they aren't really "cellular" anymore, are they). Thus, mobile in this context is a noun.

But I still go for a Newton rebirth.

adrianblaine
Dec 18, 2006, 10:11 AM
A mobile is what most people in the world call a cell phone (they aren't really "cellular" anymore, are they). Thus, mobile in this context is a noun.

I realize that, but to me it would sound like... "hey, someone is calling me on my Mobile Mobile..."

For it to fall into Apple's current naming scheme, it will be called an iPod (something). After all, there is an iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano.

emotion
Dec 18, 2006, 10:15 AM
Who cares what it's called. I hate the name "macbook". I still bought one.

sososowhat
Dec 18, 2006, 10:16 AM
I vote for iMobilePhone - iMoPho for short.

emotion
Dec 18, 2006, 10:20 AM
I vote for iMobilePhone - iMoPho for short.

:D :D

Clive At Five
Dec 18, 2006, 10:25 AM

That was me (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2831463#post2831463)... but it was for iTV.

I've been a long-time supporter of the name "PhonePod" but in light of Apple's mission to make it "an iPod with phone capabilities," I think those who say iPod Phone may be on the right track... it lines up with iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano and iPod Photo, or whatever.

Oh, and I, too, laughed hysterically when I read this article.

-Clive

Thataboy
Dec 18, 2006, 10:30 AM
That was me (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2831463#post2831463)... but it was for iTV.

I've been a long-time supporter of the name "PhonePod" but in light of Apple's mission to make it "an iPod with phone capabilities," I think those who say iPod Phone may be on the right track... it lines up with iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano and iPod Photo, or whatever.

Oh, and I, too, laughed hysterically when I read this article.

-Clive

Teleport is an awesome name for iTV. It's hard to imagine anyone could come up with something more appropriate. TELEvision+ AirPORT + idea of teleporting your media. Perfect.

Clive At Five
Dec 18, 2006, 10:32 AM
The release of an "iPhone" by Cisco doesn't in any way affect the existing Apple Phone rumors.

"iPhone" was just an easy name adopted by everyone to talk about an Apple phone. It was also reinforced when Apple applied for iPhone trademarks in other countries.

Okay, so what does that mean in terms of Foxconn claiming they "won the iPhone contract." Have they been producing this Cisco device, or where they talking about Apple's iPhone?

Does anyone have the direct quote from that story?

-Clive

savar
Dec 18, 2006, 10:34 AM
It appears that last minute rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061214214915.shtml) of an "iPhone" announcement today (Monday, December 18th) were true, but referred to a new product from Cisco and not Apple.

This is a smart move from Cisco... think about how much free press they will get for releasing a product called iPhone when the hysteria over an anticipated "iPhone" from Apple is at an all-time high.

Quboid
The iPhone did launch today (Monday) as predicted by Gizmondo.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/18/linksys_launches_iphone/

It just isn't an Apple iPhone, still the good thing is that Apple will have a better name for it when theirs eventually comes out.

A better name than iPhone?, let me guess apple phone? apple talkie. C'mon, iphone was perfect.

Clive At Five
Teleport is an awesome name for iTV. It's hard to imagine anyone could come up with something more appropriate. TELEvision+ AirPORT + idea of teleporting your media. Perfect.

Maybe I should trademark it and roll out a similar product in anticipation... oh wait... then I'd be like Cisco :p

-Clive

jakemd
Dec 18, 2006, 10:38 AM
I don't think Apple originally wanted to do a phone. They said "Motorola, there's no hard feelings about us going to Intel now is there? Here, hows about we give you iTunes and you make a snazzy phone out of it." They created the ROKR, which was a huge flop, but the interest was there for a music enabled phone. Steve probably said to himself, "If you want it done right you have got to do it yourself" So he decided to make the iPhone. Like the iPod the experience will be perfectly seamless (for the most part) and everyone can use it.

Thats why I don't think there will be an unlocked phone. As much as we all might want it, its just not as easy or convenient for the Average American, this is not to say that the Avg. Amer. lacks intelligence and couldn't figure it out, the question is do they want to? Case in point: my Sprint Treo got the LCD busted the other day when i smashed my belt clip.(dont ask I know I'm an idiot)
I took it over to the local Sprint Store and told them what happened and with the insurance on my plan (5 extra a month) walked out with a new handset, activated and all my settings transfered. Thats convenience. I could have done all that myself, but it only took them 20 minutes in store. Thats what I like to call seamless integration. What Steve like to have on his products. Walking in, picking up a phone and knowing exactly what your going to pay per month and walking otu with a working phone is great, one store one stop.
(the same could be said about dish network where you don't own the boxes but they are included in your monthy fee, or directv where you have to buy the $200 boxes yourself and then sign up for the plan. Dish network requires less startup but 5 more a month then the comparable directv plan)

I think that Apple will follow the Razr model in terms of how that was released. That first went to Cingular as a exclusive phone and then a year later was placed in other service providers. Because of Sprint and Verizons large market share, CDMA is not something they can ignore, just like placing the iPod on windows. We all know the mac is better but we need to give all people a chance to use it. (excpet here in the states CDMA is the better one right now).

If apple wanted to run their own network, they could, but they would have to wait 2 years to see the kinds of numbers that they would be looking for as "success". Most people are in contracts, and don't just jump ship to a new provider who they know nothing about (service wise) it would take 2 years for enough people to be released from their contracts. In cases like mine, I have an excellent contract with sprint, and I have had it for 5 years now. Since I keep re upping the contract, they can't raise my rates, or charge me other fees. There are many people in contracts like that who wouldn't want to sign with Apple because it might be more expensive.

So I think that it will be released to Cingular for their stores and then in a year we might see the other networks pick it up.
An unlocked phone would just not fit into Apples plan of making everything just work right out of the box. People would have to go to the apple store to buy the phone then to a carrier to get a sim card (which you can do, but its not the easiest thing in the US, most store reps have no clue how to get one)
It just has to work. I also think that they may have to allow subsidization of the phones, because thats the model thats in place.

The phone market is not one Steve can come in and say "I wish to introduce a change in the way your doing things", and have it work. In the music industry, there wasn't a thriving digital legal market, and the iPod helped the legal size of things and made the RIAA open to its introductions, and thats when Apple became the biggest and its model pricing won and is still with us. There is not that kind of leverage in the wireless market, because these phone companies are established in this market (for some its all they do) and they don't need Apple to combat anything illegal or anything like that (you could make a case that the RIAA didn't need apple either...but anyway).

i think that says it.

MrFirework
Dec 18, 2006, 10:41 AM
For all those people saying "who cares what they call it?", you're forgetting that we need to call it SOMETHING until it comes out and we know the true name. We can't say "iPhone" anymore because of this nonsense.

Someone, me maybe, should set up a poll to see what everyone would like to call it as we go forward - to set up a new standard.

dizastor
Dec 18, 2006, 10:41 AM
My naming preference would be
MacPhone and MacPhone Pro

Somehow I think they might lean towards an i-name if only to capitalize on the ipod relationship.

Maestro64
Dec 18, 2006, 10:42 AM
I personally think what happen is Cisco and Apple use all the same suppliers and manufactures and people their lines got crossed. Rumors that there was an iphone in the works and as suppliers and manufactures made comments about an iphone everyone jumped to the conclusion that is must be Apple.

Now you can imagine all the people at Apple and Cisco were laughing their a**es off today at everyone's surprise.

MrFirework
Dec 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
I personally think what happen is what Cisco and Apple use all the same suppliers and manufactures and people lines got crossed. rumors that there was an iphone was in the works and as suppliers and manufactures made comments about an iphone everyone jumped to the conclusion that is must be Apple.

Now you can imagine all the people at Apple and Cisco were laughing their a**es off today at everyone surprise.

... not a bad point at all...

Zwhaler
Dec 18, 2006, 10:52 AM
Wow, so this is what all that damn hype was about.

(Taken from gizmodo)

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Think Different.
Think Different who?
iPhone better Think Different Name!!!

Clive At Five
Dec 18, 2006, 10:55 AM
Someone, me maybe, should set up a poll to see what everyone would like to call it as we go forward - to set up a new standard.

PhonePod better f'in be on the ballot! ;)

-Clive

puckhead193
Dec 18, 2006, 10:58 AM
i like that knock knock joke

SPUY767
Dec 18, 2006, 10:58 AM
Grab your torch, pitchforks and automatic weaponry, we're going to pay Cisco a visit!

Pity. I think iPhone is a cool name. Looks like I'll be getting myself an awesome new model touchscreen iPod after Macworld then.

http://www.tennis-schedule.com/images/torch.jpg

Torch. . . Check.

Pitchfork. . . Check

Automatic Weaponary. . . Check

macb
Dec 18, 2006, 11:03 AM
I bet it's going to suck to work in the Apple trademarks group for a while.

Doh!

SPUY767
Dec 18, 2006, 11:04 AM

http://www.tennis-schedule.com/images/autos.jpg

Torch. . . Check

Pitchfork. . . Check

Automatic Weaponary. . . Check

Looks like I'm good to go. When do we leave?

frankz00
Dec 18, 2006, 11:11 AM
It's okay because the Apple "iPhone" is about as real as Santa Claus anyway. There is no Apple iPhone. You heard it here first!

cloudnine
Dec 18, 2006, 11:13 AM
I much prefer a 12" MBP than a million variations of iPhone; besides, my RAZR is working well with my 12-mo contract, thanks very much.

While I'm completely against you on the RAZR comment (I hated my Razr so much, I replaced it with the Blackberry Pearl, which is by far the best phone I've ever used...), I'm totally with you on the 12" MBP. Of all the product rumors I've heard in the past year, that one is the one I'm most excited about. Who knows if it'll even happen, but, while a laptop is a little bit of a size difference from a phone, i'd much rather depend on my current cellphone and have it as a way to get net access for my laptop than worry about a cellphone that does everything on a tiny screen.

Mind you, I'd still be really excited about a phone that I could flawlessly sync with my computer...

Okay, okay, I want both! :-P

moosecat
Dec 18, 2006, 11:14 AM
I, for one, will not be reading Gizmodo anymore, as a result of this blatant and intentionally misleading attempt to drum up extra traffic. Really, it's offensive to me.

(I always thought Engadget was better anyway.)

Clive At Five
Dec 18, 2006, 11:19 AM
I just read the funniest thing on an appleinsider.com forum of the same topic:

AppleTalk works for me!

Best remark I've read all day... even better than iPwned (but not by much ;))

-Clive

virus1
Dec 18, 2006, 11:22 AM
the iphone is a terrible name. they would have called it the ipod phone anyhow, because they would want to leverage on the powerful ipod brand. i am guessing it is going to be called the ipod phone.

apfelnutzer
Dec 18, 2006, 11:23 AM
I like icon(nect)

hob
Dec 18, 2006, 11:25 AM
While I'm completely against you on the RAZR comment (I hated my Razr so much, I replaced it with the Blackberry Pearl, which is by far the best phone I've ever used...), I'm totally with you on the 12" MBP. Of all the product rumors I've heard in the past year, that one is the one I'm most excited about. Who knows if it'll even happen, but, while a laptop is a little bit of a size difference from a phone, i'd much rather depend on my current cellphone and have it as a way to get net access for my laptop than worry about a cellphone that does everything on a tiny screen.

Mind you, I'd still be really excited about a phone that I could flawlessly sync with my computer...

1. You just got me excited about the Blackberry Pearl. If I can't get an iPhone by next July, it'll be a Blackberry...

2. I was looking at my 12" PB, and thought "they actually don't make them that small anymore..." very strange thought. You'd think as time went by things would get smaller... I would love a 12" or 13" WS MBP!

emotion
the iphone is a terrible name. they would have called it the ipod phone anyhow, because they would want to leverage on the powerful ipod brand. i am guessing it is going to be called the ipod phone.

I'm with you there (see my comments above).

apfelnutzer
...or icom(municate)

Thanatoast
Dec 18, 2006, 11:36 AM
Someone posted in another thread a great idea for an Apple iPhone:

Since Apple doesn't want to kill their iPod sales, the iPhone will actually be a dongle attached to the dock connecter ala the Nike+ adapter. Sold with a bluetooth headset, and with the software loaded from the dongle, you'd be good to go. All your contacts would be synced from your Mac and you could use the built in voice-recognition to dial. Even my four-year-old i500 has built-in recognition.

I liked it, anyway.

autrefois
Dec 18, 2006, 11:55 AM

The rumors are still as valid (or in-valid) as they were before the release of the Cisco iPhone. None of the rumors stated that the name would be "iPhone".

Thanks for the clarification for us. I understand that it was never said for sure the name for the rumored Apple phone would be "iPhone", but increasingly it seemed like the name was just used as a given: instead of saying there were rumors about Apple's upcoming phone, rumored/believed by some to be called the iPhone, stories in here have just been referring to it simply as the "iPhone". It's not just a Macrumors problem, lots of sites and media of many kinds have been saying iPhone now for a while. So I don't think this site can/should be singled out, just that it might have been better to avoid confusion to mention a little more often that the name was also part of the rumor and not a given.

EagerDragon
Dec 18, 2006, 12:03 PM
This may get messy. While Apple does not hold the US trademark for it, it does hold the international one. So linksys will not be able to sell them overseas under that name, and Apple wont be able to sell their phone in the US under that name.

Did anyone noticed that it was white? Looks like a slap on Apples face to me.

Yes, Apple will user a more clever name, prevent them from selling the iPhone in the international market, and sue them over the interface.

I am getting some pop corn and sit down to watch the fireworks that are ready to start.
LOL.

In the end they will settle, but fun in the mean time.

Antares
Dec 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
I didn't think that Apple would use the "iPhone" moniker anyway. Even though, the name would do well in tying with the iPod brand. Regardless, this is good news. It's one less expensive purchase that we all have to make (at least in the near future). So, everyone here on MR should be happy about this. :)

technocoy
Dec 18, 2006, 12:07 PM
steve has talked several times about how iPod could be or anything with any functionality... I don't think they were going to call it iPhone from the get-go.

puckhead193
Dec 18, 2006, 12:23 PM
I just read the funniest thing on an appleinsider.com forum of the same topic:

Best remark I've read all day... even better than iPwned (but not by much ;))

-Clive

ahh the good old days

EagerDragon
Dec 18, 2006, 12:31 PM
I agree, except my favourite so far is iPod Mobile.

I think Apple trade marked the term "Mobile Me" or something like that. (ugly).

Dec 18, 2006, 12:32 PM
The only people you'll see with an Apple phone is Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

The Tooth Fairy, from what i've been told by reliable sources, uses a pre-paid cell plan from AT&T.

The NDA I signed with the NBFC (National Brotherhood of Fictional Characters), which also represents fictional products cooked up in marijuana fueled rumor mills, prohibits me from saying anything more.

direzz
Dec 18, 2006, 12:36 PM
It's okay because the Apple "iPhone" is about as real as Santa Claus anyway. There is no Apple iPhone. You heard it here first!

hasn't anyone considered the possibility that apple isnt delevoping a phone AT ALL?

Clive At Five
Dec 18, 2006, 12:42 PM
hasn't anyone considered the possibility that apple isnt delevoping a phone AT ALL?

Yes, everyday, and it's my waking nightmare. Let's not speak of that possibility.

I'd rather be living in denial than be right about that.

-Clive

alexprice
Dec 18, 2006, 12:43 PM
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Promotion_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1165633316758&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

For those who would like to see it.

Dec 18, 2006, 12:52 PM

Yep, definitely...but I've got a simple question to you...is this Blackberry Pearl as thin and slim as the RAZR? If not, I pass...:rolleyes:

Stridder44
Dec 18, 2006, 12:55 PM

.....!!?!? :eek: http://www.esplatter.com/images/am/explode.gif

Dec 18, 2006, 12:58 PM
.....!!?!? :eek: http://www.esplatter.com/images/am/explode.gif

I wouldn't mind at all...I want a 12" MBP before any iPhone... ;)

By the way, is that animated GIF from "Scanners"? ;)

Kirkmedia
Dec 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
I, for one, will not be reading Gizmodo anymore, as a result of this blatant and intentionally misleading attempt to drum up extra traffic. Really, it's offensive to me.

(I always thought Engadget was better anyway.)

I'm very impressed how Gizmodo siezed this opportunity. The way
they reported the "iphone" was going to be announced today, is not
deceptive at all. I think Gizmodo has gained credibility.

Peace
Dec 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
rendezvous.

PODshady
Dec 18, 2006, 01:04 PM
I knew it :D

swingerofbirch
Dec 18, 2006, 01:16 PM
I can't believe Apple allowed itself to be so publicly pantsed like this. Here's to hoping that Apple's iPhone really is worth this long wait.

mrwilly123
Dec 18, 2006, 01:34 PM
How does "iPod mobile" sound?

Keeps the iPod branding, which is definitely important.

termite
Dec 18, 2006, 01:45 PM
I hope Gizmodo enjoyed the joke, because it's costing them. While literally correct, they deliberately mislead. And call me old-fashioned, but I don't bother to read from sources that are interested in misleading me to better amuse themselves.

cherrypop
Dec 18, 2006, 01:49 PM
Newton.

Prediction: Apple will bring back the Newton, using that name for the new mobile handset.

Makes perfect sense, since the Newton does what the AMH is rumored to do, save make calls (and run a mini OS X).

Hope they bring the Newton back, anyway.

NAG
Dec 18, 2006, 01:50 PM
I hope Gizmodo enjoyed the joke, because it's costing them. While literally correct, they deliberately mislead. And call me old-fashioned, but I don't bother to read from sources that are interested in misleading me to better amuse themselves.

You actually believed him? The post was so deliberately vague he might as well put in a *wink*. It was obvious that it was an attempt to be smart/I fooled you.

sw1tcher
Dec 18, 2006, 01:52 PM
I think the iPhone or whatever you want to call it will be like the G5 PowerBook.

Not gonna happen.

classof2011
Dec 18, 2006, 01:57 PM
Hmm...now that we're talking about the iPhone...er...whatever Apple's going to name it...I wonder if it would have free laser engraving if it turns out to have an aluminum backside...

I saw posts about "MacPhone" for the name. That seems like a perfect fit, seeing as there's "Mac Pro", "MacBook", "MacBook Pro", "Mac Mini"...maybe they should have the network MacTalk. Sorry if someone else thought of "MacTalk"; I didn't read all 130 posts :o

zapp
Dec 18, 2006, 01:59 PM
I think the iPhone or whatever you want to call it will be like the G5 PowerBook.

Not gonna happen.

G5 Powerbook next tuesday..........

you had to know that was coming.

iLunar
Dec 18, 2006, 02:03 PM
Hmm...now that we're talking about the iPhone...er...whatever Apple's going to name it...I wonder if it would have free laser engraving if it turns out to have an aluminum backside...

I saw posts about "MacPhone" for the name. That seems like a perfect fit, seeing as there's "Mac Pro", "MacBook", "MacBook Pro", "Mac Mini"...maybe they should have the network MacTalk. Sorry if someone else thought of "MacTalk"; I didn't read all 130 posts :o

From a consumer standpoint, naming it "Mac" probably wouldn't be a good idea. Most people would think its a phone that can only be used with a Mac...no joke.

classof2011
Dec 18, 2006, 02:05 PM
PS: This is the first picture I ever saw of iPhone, back on Gizmodo.com . It was this that made me fall in love with Apples, and out of the world of Windows....

Here it is

classof2011
Dec 18, 2006, 02:07 PM
From a consumer standpoint, naming it "Mac" probably wouldn't be a good idea. Most people would think its a phone that can only be used with a Mac...no joke.

Never thought of it that way...I see your point...but what else could make it say "Hey, I'm from the world's best computer company; Apple!"

classof2011
Dec 18, 2006, 02:11 PM
G5 Powerbook next tuesday..........

you had to know that was coming.

Or G5 iBook, same possibility.

jettredmont
Dec 18, 2006, 02:13 PM
Same here with my Nokia, so we can say that iSync is great, phone interfaces not so, I agree with LostPacket, iPod Mobile is much more plausible than iPhone.

Huh?

I have an iPod, and it's already mobile. What do I want the "Mobile" version of it for? Is it going to grow legs and start running around on its own? Cause that might be cool for the first few minutes, but I suspect it would get old pretty fast!

I'm personally partial to "iPod chat". But that's probably just the drugs kicking in again :)

pyramid6
Dec 18, 2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah, we knew it was too good to be true, we just hoped they had some insider information. All they did was, one: prove that they don't know anything new that people care about, two: they are willing to insult their userbase to get a good laugh/few page hits.

They could call it the macPod. Damn that is dumb.

jettredmont
Dec 18, 2006, 02:22 PM
Although I thought the announcement was funny, Gizmodo has lost some of its (already small) credibility in my eyes.

It had no credibility in my eyes, which is probably why this whole stunt got nothing but a shrug from me.

I mean, has Gizmodo been right about anything? He's taken several jabs at Apple of late, and I took this as just yet another. If I recall, the first or second comment on his "iPhone Monday" post pretty much said what I thought any reasonable thinking person would think: this is a joke, and it's probably some Taiwanese rip-off company releasing their abomination on Monday. Turns out that was a bit more cynical than necessary (Cisco/Linksys are actually legitimate companies).

Anyway, the net difference here for me is that "iPhone" is no longer valid shorthand for the eventual Apple offering, so we've got to decide on something else to call it.

Surreal
Dec 18, 2006, 02:29 PM
Mac Mobile.

not to be confused with MacMan 's mode of transport.

They have to go heads up with the idea that mac's don't interface well. and i wouldnt mind if it only worked with macs at first. i really wouldnt. it happens the other way already, people could cope. the only problem would arise when they DID make it operable on windows comps. people would still think it was mac only.

no pdas or smartphones really interface well with mac os x. i mean, REALLY well and elegantly.

kddpop
Dec 18, 2006, 02:33 PM
...walked out with a new handset, activated and all my settings transfered. Thats convenience. I could have done all that myself, but it only took them 20 minutes in store. Thats what I like to call seamless integration. What Steve like to have on his products. Walking in, picking up a phone and knowing exactly what your going to pay per month and walking otu with a working phone is great, one store one stop.

i agree that this seamlessness is very apple. but why does this preclude an unlocked phone from apple. apple makes things easy. apple makes things so that i don't have to rely on "experts" to do them. the type of things my parents (both over 60) pay to have a windows guru over to fix are simply user-fixable on a mac. heck, apple has already addressed an issue similar to the one you describe....buying a new computer and transferring all your data...

hook new computer up to old computer via firewire....and the new computer (after asking permission of course) grabs all the necessary doodads from the old. easy peasy. its a mac. it just works. the phone could work the same way. old phone is backed up to computer via isync. you get a new phone (either by purchase to stay on top of the "latest greatest" or as a warranty replacement). you plug the new phone into the computer and "boom"....all the contacts from address book, all email from mail, all buddies from ichat, all bookmarks from safari/firefox/all pictures from iphoto/photobooth. all instantly and quickly in your shiney new phone.

unlocked is the way to go. its actually more simple than a phone tied to some arcane contract or oppressive telcom service.

just my thoughts,
~kyle

Dec 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
If you believe in the iPhone, you might wanna consider laying off the iPipe.

NewSc2
Dec 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
Everybody.. it's okay! This just means we gotta look forward to the:

MacPhone Pro

:D

JGowan
Dec 18, 2006, 02:46 PM
I like it, but I'm rooting for "AirPod".Well, Apple could always go the M$ route and hold a contest, asking the general public to design and name the new Apple Phone. But that would be lame.

mi5moav
Dec 18, 2006, 02:46 PM
Newton it is for the smart-phone the most mythical name in computing. Who wants an iphone in their pocket anyway. It's like icomputer icar. Anyhow, I think the newton was actually just the OS so bringing back the Newton would be impossible, it was I believe the messagepad. I am sure Apple has dozens of names trademarked that they aren't using. Look at the ipod, they had that trademarked since 1988 or something and only in 2000 was it brought out of storage.

OdduWon
Dec 18, 2006, 02:48 PM
it will be called Mac pod. and then the new zune will be called micro zune :p
first there will be mac pod then mac pod pro ;) . it makes $en$e :p

JonMan
Dec 18, 2006, 02:55 PM
I just want to know ONE reason why you're all so sure that Apple is even working on a phone?

jettredmont
Dec 18, 2006, 02:56 PM

I don't know about "most people in the world", but I do know that I never call a cell phone a "mobile". 'Course, I never call it a "mobile phone" either, or for that matter "wireless phone", as it is clumsier to say and needlessly more vague (I've got several "mobile phones" in that even the old plug-in-the-wall kind moves around; I've also got a 5.8GHz wireless phone at home).

In fact, to make this descend all the way to the dictionary-duel depths at which it must necessarily end: I just looked it up in my OS X dictionary and, it turns out, the two definitions are:

(adjective) (the one we all know and love: something that can move)
(noun) a decorative structure that is suspended so as to turn freely in the air.

Hmm. Yeah, I don't think "mobile" as common replacement for the noun group "cell phone" has quite made it as far as you think it has.

Nyah!

Mmmmmm ... Apple Newtons ....

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/images/home/icon_newtons.gif

Much Ado
Dec 18, 2006, 03:03 PM
I just want to know ONE reason why you're all so sure that Apple is even working on a phone?

Recent patent applications.

Much Ado
Dec 18, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hmm. Yeah, I don't think "mobile" as common replacement for the noun group "cell phone" has quite made it as far as you think it has.

Nyah!

In the UK, 'Cell Phone' is never used to describe a mobile phone. They're either 'phones' or 'mobiles.'

To put things in context ;)

MA.

(P.S. In German, they're Handys)

Westside guy
Dec 18, 2006, 03:15 PM
I find it funny that so many people are rating this negatively - and it's almost assuredly just because it's not the Apple phone. Sometimes people here are so fickle! :D We're less than a month away from MWSF, and folks seriously expected a brand new product announcement from Apple... in mid-December?

Phones that work seamlessly across both cell networks and available 802.11 networks are likely the next big thing. It's not like Cisco just came up with this idea - other companies are working on this as well; it's been talked to death for the last year or two (just not on Mac rumor sites).

AppliedVisual
Dec 18, 2006, 03:16 PM

Yeah, but that wouldn't be any fun to talk about...

AppliedVisual
Dec 18, 2006, 03:24 PM
Recent patent applications.

...Since when does that mean anything? ...Especially with Apple. They're always continuously applying for patents on all sorts of things, often referencing hardware designs that are several years old. It's a smokescreen and a way for them to patent certain minor concepts or ideas that may translate to new products eventually. However, there have been no real indicative signs that Apple is indeed producing a phone product. So far there has been nothing to substantiate any of the recen rumors on pricing and specs. At this point it wouldn't surprise me one way or another if they release a phone or not. Personally, I think it could be a good product for Apple, but it better run a mobile version of OSX with suppoort for iChat, iPhoto, iCal, Mail, etc.. Obviously, I can sync it with my Mac (something most other smartphone models can't do) and I can use it with iTunes just as I would use my iPod. I should be able to use iTunes content for sounds and ringtones without extra fees and restrictions. ...If a carrier cripples the phone and locks out any of those features, I won't buy it. If it doesn't have all those features, I won't buy it. I know I'm not alone in this thinking -- Apple has a tough road ahead for such a product. Like I said, it could be a great market for them and will be tough to get into it. In the end, it may not be worth it for Apple due to the way many carriers work... Sure, there are lots of options for unlocked phones, especially in the Euro market, but that is not normal on a global scale and most phones out there are still sold as part of a subsidized plan and have various features crippled in some way.

Enigmac
Dec 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
Frankly I didn't care much about the "iPhone rumor" anyway.

But look at it this way, guys.

Apple has been putting more time and effort into LEOPARD!!!! :D :)

We'll certainly find out on January 9, 2007. Only 23 days to go!

SPUY767
Dec 18, 2006, 03:31 PM
Why don't we call it the iPodOn'tUseThisWhileBehindTheWheelOfAMotorVehicle Nano

Much Ado
Dec 18, 2006, 03:32 PM
...Since when does that mean anything?

Quite right :)

I was just adding 'one point'.

There are a whole host of small details that have made up the iPhone rumours, and whether it's true or not, there's enough out there to get a rumour site buzzing.

But yes- don't always trust the patents.

MA.

jettredmont
Dec 18, 2006, 03:32 PM
Thats why I don't think there will be an unlocked phone. As much as we all might want it, its just not as easy or convenient for the Average American, this is not to say that the Avg. Amer. lacks intelligence and couldn't figure it out, the question is do they want to? Case in point: my Sprint Treo got the LCD busted the other day when i smashed my belt clip.(dont ask I know I'm an idiot)
I took it over to the local Sprint Store and told them what happened and with the insurance on my plan (5 extra a month) walked out with a new handset, activated and all my settings transfered. Thats convenience.

Okay, you lost me. How, exactly, would an unlocked cell phone preclude any of these from happening:

* Sprint selling the phone in their stores. Or Verizon, Cellular One, er, Cingular, etc?
* Any of the above and/or third parties who also sell the phone from providing walk-in-servicable warrantees?
* For that matter, Apple providing their own walk-in-service warrantee (let's call it "AppleCare"!)?

And, let me state for the record that the whole racket of "transfering" your address book, etc, from your phone is a needless pain in the ass. I'd much rather my phone properly sync with my computer, which is where my actual address book and calendar reside. Then, getting a new phone should be nothing more than ditching the old one and syncing the new one to my computer instead. The primary bit of information lost doing this today are speed-dials. Which just seems silly: why isn't that information sync'ed over as well? Sigh.

In any case, I'd expect an Apple phone to sync all its data and settings to my Mac flawlessly, so I don't need the Sprint store to use its magical device (also known as a personal computer with a sync cable) to do it for me. Doesn't help getting everything off whatever POC I currently have, but at least it'll help when time to upgrade two or three years hence.

I think that Apple will follow the Razr model in terms of how that was released. That first went to Cingular as a exclusive phone and then a year later was placed in other service providers. Because of Sprint and Verizons large market share, CDMA is not something they can ignore, just like placing the iPod on windows. We all know the mac is better but we need to give all people a chance to use it. (excpet here in the states CDMA is the better one right now).

I just don't see Apple getting into the phone business just to be a "me too" phone manufacturer. It's just not exciting enough for Steve, IMHO, and not rewarding enough for the bean counters. The cell phone market as it exists today is remarkably mature. I can see Apple getting in in two scenarios:

1. They transform it completely via product offering.
2. They transform it completely as a business model.

I'm not sure how any of the designs being bounced around here could qualify in the first case. Everything's been done before.

What excites me is Apple taking a marginal win on the first (I know they can do a marginal win there) and using it to force a major win on the second (making the cell phone manufacturer the chief brand identity when talking about a cell phone, not the company that owns the towers). No commitment discounts. No lock-in. No crippling of hardware to force network usage (I'm looking at you, Verizon!)

If this succeeds, then we can start seeing true multi-media phones and devices where the media doesn't need to come through the phone network, where "ringtones" are no different from any other music you own, where in short the phone is an integral part of the rest of your gadget repertoire instead of an island protected by the company with whom you signed an 'n'-year contract.

If apple wanted to run their own network, they could, but they would have to wait 2 years to see the kinds of numbers that they would be looking for as "success". Most people are in contracts, and don't just jump ship to a new provider who they know nothing about (service wise) it would take 2 years for enough people to be released from their contracts. In cases like mine, I have an excellent contract with sprint, and I have had it for 5 years now. Since I keep re upping the contract, they can't raise my rates, or charge me other fees. There are many people in contracts like that who wouldn't want to sign with Apple because it might be more expensive.

Question: you re-up your contract after two years (and, believe me, Sprint is NOT under any obligation to re-up the contract; they do it because they make money off you!) Do you get any kind of discount on a new phone at that time? Or, do you just buy new phones whenever you feel like it?

See, my experience is this: people don't buy new phones except when that contract runs out. Then, they can either get a $200 subsidy/discount by jumping to another company, or settle for the $0-100 discount their company offers for re-upping for another 2 years. Maybe I just hang around with cell-phone cheapskates, but that's the pattern I see.

Seems like, in general, the cell phone market is on a 2-year upgrade cycle, and Apple wouldn't necessarily be any exception to this. Of course, this isn't all that different from the MP3-player market or computer market either, and Apple seems to be doing okay in both of those.

mozmac
Dec 18, 2006, 03:42 PM
I can't wait for this phone to come out. I don't think I'll buy the first generation cause I don't have enough money right now and I'd like for them to work out the kinks. I have a 2G iPod and STILL use it.

I think it's a great idea to not have suppliers subsidize this thing if Apple plans having this replace most of its future iPod sales. If people have to pay full price, they will choose one or the other. If the phone comes free with a two-year agreement, they will still buy the iPod and get the iPhone from their carrier. Apple gets revenue on both, but of course, it will have a Cingular logo on it. I like Cingular, but I don't know if the logo belongs on Apple products.

jmbear
Dec 18, 2006, 03:57 PM
Give me a phone with:

1. A high-contrast, always-on screen so I can see the date and time without turning on the backlight and draining batteries, even in full sunshine
2. An interface that is even moderately user friendly, and does not result in me accidentally canceling out of a menu when I keep hitting the "wrong" buttons, which seem more intuitive than the "right" ones
3. A way that I can create/download my own ringtones and/or pictures from my computer over bluetooth, without purchasing an additional cable
4. A phone with a display that does not light up my entire bedroom all night when plugged in and charging
5. A phone that does not *CHIRP* loudly in my ear when I'm talking, to let me know there is a new text/voice message
6. A phone that does not waste energy on an ultra-bright display and ridiculously over-the-top sound/vibration notifications that my battery is dying when I'm trying to get 30 more seconds of call time in, effectively robbing me of those 30 seconds
7. A way to type txt msgs that does not result in me giving up out of frustration halfway through
8. A charging cradle/cord that always works, and does not constantly disconnect/reconnect when I'm talking while recharging (bLEEP!... bloop...BLEEP!...bloop...), usually when I'm in the middle of a phone interview
9. A display encasing that does not become clogged with pocket lint that enters through the external speaker grill

If you do all of this, I will buy a phone from you the instant it comes out. I will pay the penalty to get out of my Verizon plan. I will tell all my friends.

Oh, and if you have time after 1-9, I could use (10.) music player capabilities.

MacBook+Broad Band Wireless Card+Skype-In

bodeh6
Dec 18, 2006, 03:58 PM
http://apple.fanboy.justgotowned.com/

This is just what happened to all of the iPhone fanboys. A must click for everyone.

Whistleway
Dec 18, 2006, 04:16 PM
http://apple.fanboy.justgotowned.com/

This is just what happened to all of the iPhone fanboys. A must click for everyone.

oh my.

Enigmac
Dec 18, 2006, 04:22 PM
Frankly I didn't care much about the "iPhone rumor" anyway.

But look at it this way, guys.

Apple has been putting more time and effort into LEOPARD!!!! :D :)

We'll certainly find out on January 9, 2007. Only 23 days to go!

HELLO? Isn't anyone fckng listening to me?

Claymore
Dec 18, 2006, 05:22 PM
They should call it the iPod:ring ring :p

puddle27
Dec 18, 2006, 05:26 PM
who cares!! who cares!! who cares!!

People, it's just a phone. It will always be just a phone. You people are such tools. You are the kind of people that Madison Avenue Advertising executives love!! The kind of people so easily dragged along on a thread due to hype.

The reason why i point this out, is because everyone is talking about the ipod and the iphone rumors for the last three years. that's all the media and bloggers focus on. the only thing Steve Jobs talks about is the ipod. IT's a great money generating device for the company (because like i said, you are all predictable consumers), but the rest of Apple's product line is suffering. For example, if we didn't have the ipod and iphone rumors jamming the media, then it may be well known that the MBP's are poor laptops with serious issues. But no, and because of that, Apple will never improve the computer. The company is releasing poor products with poor quality control, but you guys don't notice because you have your heads focused on the damn iphone for the last three years.

For the good of the company, and for the good of society, can we please get past this iphone ************. Because in the end, it's just a damn phone.

jhedges3
Dec 18, 2006, 05:27 PM
I don't like the name iChat mobile. For one thing, iChat is (as you know) the name of an application and presumably the phone would be more than a mobile version of this app (regardless of whether the phone itself included iChat). Also, it seems like i* names are becoming a thing of the past. A better name would be Mac something. Like MacPhone or MacMobile or MacCell.

I never liked the idea of Apple releasing something called iPhone. It seems backward looking, like itís already been done and done all over the place. We already have everything from iRobot to iGaming to iBoat. In time, there will be an i*everything. iPerson, iHouse, iFridge, iBeer, iDNA.

Plus it seems like we already saw an evolution in convention in iBook to Mac Book. Without any information to suggest otherwise wouldnít it be parsimonious to assume thatís what will be used for this device? Or how bout, just Phone?

QuarterSwede
Dec 18, 2006, 05:28 PM
Give me a phone with:

1. A high-contrast ... screen so I can see the date and time without turning on the backlight and draining batteries, even in full sunshine

My Sony Ericsson w600i does more than half the list. Its the best phone I've ever owned and definitely has the easiest and most well thought out interface to date. It is still lacking in some areas (could be thinner and the interface could be a bit snappier [read non-Java based]) but in general its a great phone. Sure it chirps when I get a voicemail while I'm on the phone and it lights the room up at night when plugging it in (why do they do that!?) but I can live without that being fixed. It sounds like it really bugs you.

What I really want from an Apple mobile phone is a phone around the size of a Nano that has a fantastic phonebook (as good as the w600i) and syncs perfectly with iSync. My w600i's phonebook is so good (best I've used) it doesn't sync properly with iSync. You see, each contact has the ability to have several numbers attached to it and when synced with iSync it adds multiple contacts of the same name for each number I have: 1 for home, 1 for mobile, 1 for work, etc. instead of 1 for home, mobile and work.

Ex.
SE's phonebook:
Smith, John
Home # | Mobile # | Work #

when synced:
Smith, John/H
Home #
Smith, John/M
Mobile #
Smith, John/W
Work#

See how much of a mess that makes?

QuarterSwede
Dec 18, 2006, 05:29 PM
I never liked the idea of Apple releasing something called iPhone. It seems backward looking, like itís already been done and done all over the place. We already have everything from iRobot to iGaming to iBoat. In time, there will be an i*everything. iPerson, iHouse, iFridge, iBeer, iDNA.

Plus it seems like we already saw an evolution in convention in iBook to Mac Book. Without any information to suggest otherwise wouldnít it be parsimonious to assume thatís what will be used for this device? Or how bout, just Phone?
I always thought the Mac name was only giving to products that run the current Apple OS (being OS X at present). I highly doubt the cellphone would be called MacPhone. iChat Mobile is more like it.

jhedges3
Dec 18, 2006, 05:33 PM
I always thought the Mac name was only giving to products that run the current Apple OS (being OS X at present). I highly doubt the cellphone would be called MacPhone. iChat Mobile is more like it.

Cool. And yet I don't get it. It seems like naming it iChat Mobile wouldn't make sense unless that was the only thing it did. Plus, it seems like most regular people don't know of iChat and therefore wouldn't necessarily know what the device was from name only.

QuarterSwede
Dec 18, 2006, 05:40 PM
Cool. And yet I don't get it. It seems like naming it iChat Mobile wouldn't make sense unless that was the only thing it did. Plus, it seems like most regular people don't know of iChat and therefore wouldn't necessarily know what the device was from name only.

iChat, doesn't seem hard to figure out what it is especially since the name would most certainly go with a picture of the handset. Also, appending Mobile to then end may suggest to some that there is an iChat thing of some sort to try out as well. Kind of killing two birds with one stone.

If Apple did decide to name it that I would think they would add some really easy way to use iChat (AIM) and text messages (SMS) from it which would make the name make sense to the current OS X user base.

EricNau
Dec 18, 2006, 05:44 PM
Kind of a poorly chosen name by Cisco!
The name actually fits perfectly. The "i" in the original iMac stood for "internet." Considering this is a VoIP phone it makes perfect sense to condense "internet phone" into "iPhone."

The only unfortunate part for Cisco is the automatic association with Apple for any product name beginning with i.

OdduWon
Dec 18, 2006, 08:31 PM
i hope the apple phone will be like my sony t637. http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=496
this phone is a little onld now but it serves me well. it is east to use, has editable short cuts via the joystick. no stupid lights flashing. bluetooth, horizontal picture taking. and moct of all well placed buttons. the ericison phones are great. Apple is not in this to ba "ME TOO". they are in it to create a "it should be like this" phone. Their simplicity and powerful productivity knowledge is what makes a great phone. not crappy colored lights or , LOL ring tones, when was the last time you heard a ring tone/song from someones phone and didn't think it was unneccessary. Maybe when i get mine i will record my PM g5 whooshing to life and have that as my ringtone :D

anyways this phone will give us tech mature people a phone that wont make us feel like were on the way to an NSYNC concert......Hmmmmm isync :p

SeaFox
Dec 18, 2006, 09:14 PM
I always thought iPhone sounded terrible.

Sure is a lot better than "MacPhone" :rolleyes:

SeaFox
Dec 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
Oh well, there is always iFone, but will they get taken to court because it sounds the same?

They could. Given that everyone is currently associating the word iPhone with Apple, could it be possible for Apple to win, or even "steal" the iPhone trademark away from Linksys?

mi5moav
Dec 19, 2006, 12:34 AM
Well, after 3 months www.newton.com is back ONLINE!! but more importantly Newton's birthday is coming up. Yes, Newton was born December 25... is Apple crazy enough to launch the Newton on December 25th, probably not but something is gonna happen.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Isaac Newton

SeaFox
Dec 19, 2006, 01:46 AM
Most interesting....

On the Macworld thread (http://www.macworld.com/forums/u****reads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=newsthread&Number=465243&page=0&view=collapsed) for the Linksys iPhone story, someone mentions that the trademark for "MacPhone" is already held by "the owner of MacBytes". Which would be Arn would it not? :D

Burai
Dec 19, 2006, 01:53 AM
HELLO? Isn't anyone fckng listening to me?

No.

Mainly because a) You believe that development of a mobile phone would somehow delay the next release of Mac OS X, even though it's almost certainly going to be developed by a completely different division within Apple, b) You think that the mobile phone has somehow been cancelled due to this news and c) Your sense of naive self-importance far outweighs your ability to actually contribute anything worth commenting on to the discussion in hand.

Donz0r
Dec 19, 2006, 01:56 AM
The name actually fits perfectly. The "i" in the original iMac stood for "internet." Considering this is a VoIP phone it makes perfect sense to condense "internet phone" into "iPhone."

The only unfortunate part for Cisco is the automatic association with Apple for any product name beginning with i.

Are you sure? I always thought the original iMac and iBook had an "i" to designate a Consumer product, while there were the PowerMac and PowerBook to designate Pro products...

SeaFox
Dec 19, 2006, 02:02 AM
No.

Mainly because a) You believe that development of a mobile phone would somehow delay the next release of Mac OS X, even though it's almost certainly going to be developed by a completely different division within Apple, b) You think that the mobile phone has somehow been cancelled due to this news and c) Your sense of naive self-importance far outweighs your ability to actually contribute anything worth commenting on to the discussion in hand.
I was ignoring him because he was a newbie. That and asking "why isn't anyone listening to me?".

Goldfinger
Dec 19, 2006, 04:04 AM
Heh, it's even in a national newspaper over here: "Those who wanted to go out and buy an Apple iPhone will come home without one".

Lunja
Dec 19, 2006, 04:19 AM
I don't know about "most people in the world", but I do know that I never call a cell phone a "mobile". 'Course, I never call it a "mobile phone" either, or for that matter "wireless phone", as it is clumsier to say and needlessly more vague (I've got several "mobile phones" in that even the old plug-in-the-wall kind moves around; I've also got a 5.8GHz wireless phone at home).

In fact, to make this descend all the way to the dictionary-duel depths at which it must necessarily end: I just looked it up in my OS X dictionary and, it turns out, the two definitions are:

(adjective) (the one we all know and love: something that can move)
(noun) a decorative structure that is suspended so as to turn freely in the air.

Nyah!

It's a called a mobile to over 60 million British people, and I'm sure it's a variation of that across Europe... Mobile pwns Cell! :p

Much Ado
Dec 19, 2006, 04:50 AM
It's a called a mobile to over 60 million British people, and I'm sure it's a variation of that across Europe... Mobile pwns Cell! :p

Amen!

flyguy451
Dec 19, 2006, 05:57 AM

....and all the cars have "boots" and "bonnets" too which is obviously so much more intuitive than the way it's done in NA.

emotion
Dec 19, 2006, 05:59 AM
....and all the cars have "boots" and "bonnets" too which is obviously so much more intuitive than the way it's done in NA.

Pfff the US still uses cars? We all travel everywhere on hover bikes.

dernhelm
Dec 19, 2006, 06:55 AM

Not a double negative, just redundant.

dernhelm
Dec 19, 2006, 06:57 AM
Why don't we call it the iPodOn'tUseThisWhileBehindTheWheelOfAMotorVehicle Nano

Wouldn't fit on the case.

flyguy451
Dec 19, 2006, 07:37 AM
Pfff the US still uses cars? We all travel everywhere on hover bikes.

Really? Looks fast.

Hoverbike! (http://www.engadget.com/2004/07/29/more-hoverbike-pics/)

Lunja
Dec 19, 2006, 07:51 AM

A bonnet goes on the head in much the same way a hood does, and both appear at the head of a car, so they're both in the same area ;)

Much Ado
Dec 19, 2006, 07:52 AM
Not a double negative, just redundant.

Or 'tautological'.

Either way, iPod-mobile is not a great name.

I'd be happy with iChat-Mobile, personally.

Just not MacPhone Pro, or Safari-Newton-Mac-Sync-X.

If the thing exists, that is.

MA.

flyguy451
Dec 19, 2006, 08:02 AM
A bonnet goes on the head in much the same way a hood does, and both appear at the head of a car, so they're both in the same area ;)

Yes, that's my point; both "mobile" and "cellphone" describe the same thing.

Lunja
Dec 19, 2006, 08:21 AM
Yes, that's my point; both "mobile" and "cellphone" describe the same thing.

Ahh, sorry. Anyway, I started wondering why we call it the boot, and found this:

The term "boot" in this sense is simply the British equivalent of our car "trunk," and originally (back around 1608) referred to the step along the side of a carriage where the servants sat or stood. The term "boot" was later applied to the luggage or cargo compartment of a coach, and then logically carried over to the luggage compartment of automobiles

mi5moav
Dec 19, 2006, 08:27 AM
MACmobile or just MOBi for short

rubberduck007
Dec 19, 2006, 10:54 AM
I like it, but I'm rooting for "AirPod". Infact, I'm going to exert intellectual copyright over that. Steve, if you want it, make mine an iMac (I'm not greedy you see:rolleyes: )

EDIT: Oh, and a 0.1% share of profits would be nice:)
EDIT AGAIN: Or WiPod, as in Wireless iPod.

WiiPod is a connector for Wii to iPod, coming in March 2007

ClimbingTheLog
Dec 20, 2006, 03:05 PM
It's looking like Apple's iPhone is now the eWorld...??

As of midnight tonight, and not before (I searched through midnight to be sure), a google search for "iphone" is now taking you to eWorld.com which comes up as the apple.com homepage with "eworld.com" as the url. No redirect.

Is it the Apple eWorld, then? Hmmmm....

-S

It *could* be that Apple just has a page for all of its old products - eWorld was their branded version of AOL in the early 90's. That's more likely than they'd use a 90's naming convention for a new product.

ClimbingTheLog
Dec 20, 2006, 03:07 PM
Newton.

Prediction: Apple will bring back the Newton, using that name for the new mobile handset.

Makes perfect sense, since the Newton does what the AMH is rumored to do, save make calls (and run a mini OS X).

Hope they bring the Newton back, anyway.

Humble pie isn't vegetarian, so Steve won't eat it.

I don't care what they call it if they have Newton handwriting recognition in it. Inkwell just sucks and I don't understand why. I don't think it's my Wacom tablet.

ClimbingTheLog
Dec 20, 2006, 03:08 PM
Cool, maybe Apple is going to use its market clout to force the issue of unlocked phones. They would be ones to understand the awful situtation that exists today.

AppleIntelRock
Dec 31, 2006, 12:23 AM
I don't think it will be called "iPhone" Just like iTv will not be called "iTv"

mfacey
Dec 31, 2006, 02:20 AM
I don't think it will be called "iPhone" Just like iTv will not be called "iTv"

Eh yeah, like the original story mentions Cisco owns the iPhone brand name, so that's kind of obvious. They won't call the home entertainment machine iTV because its too close to Elgato's EyeTV! Both would be guaranteed to cause lawsuits.