PDA

View Full Version : Indie Film Idea (closed)

City of Glass
Apr 29, 2003, 02:19 PM
I used to run a visual arts company called "Gates of Ivory Productions." We were not a large group, personnel-wise, but we did manage to digest "large" projects. And it worked precisely because we were friends, linked since the beginnings of our respective childhoods.

I should think the vast realm of cyberspace would offer one the chance to forge a similar union. Since there must be others, out there, with similar ideals and dreams. And when you find one of those . . . you should sinter your purposes into One, which will be the driving motivation of your organization, the overwhelming compulsion to achieve success -- "success" being a word which, simplified, means only "the attainment of a goal." It has no pecuniary implications.

Of course, equipped with a native ability to choose, one must first decide: is this my purpose? Would I accept this offer, the same as I would accept any offer to be paid $150.00 per hour as an MTV camera-operator? Am I a gold digger in disguise, so thoroughly embedded in the idea that I want to "Create Something" that I've even convinced myself such is true, when in actuality there is nothing more to it than the imagined glory of my own favorite actors, directors, and writers? Is it really about having my own voice heard -- by a responsive audience? Or by an eventual maid?

-C.o.G.

City of Glass
May 2, 2003, 04:09 PM
Gene "R" --

You may expect me to feign sympathy for your "cause," however today I will not succumb to that level of abnormality.

Life consists of "symbiotes" -- each creature sustains only by its relationship to the animal, vegetable, and mineral.

The very notion of one's self-immolation -- to do this malformed, unbalanced, uneducated synthesis of "entertainment-enlightenment" -- is to throw the gyroscopes of, not makind, but oneself. There are greater purposes than "helping others," there are more noble causes than "cheering up;" indeed, but what is the definition of "noble"?

"It is not the works, but the belief which is here decisive and determines the order of rank -- to employ once more an old religious formula with a new and deeper meaning, -- it is some fundamental certainty which a noble soul has about itself, something which is not to be sought, is not to be found, and perhaps, also, is not to be lost. -- The noble soul has reverence for itself. --" (Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil)

This view of man has rarely been expressed in human history. Today, it is virtually non-existent. Yet this is the view with which -- in various degrees of longing, wistfulness, passion and agonized confusion -- the best of mankind's youth start out in life. It is not even a view, for most of them, but a foggy, groping, undefined sense made of raw pain and incommunicable happiness. It is a sense of enormous expectation, the sense that one's life is important, that great achievements are within one's capacity, and that great things lie ahead.

It is not in the nature of man -- nor of any living entity -- to start out by giving up, by spitting in one's own face and damning existence; that requires a process of corruption whose rapidity differs from man to man. Some give up at the first touch of pressure; some sell out; some run down by imperceptible degrees and lose their fire, never knowing when or how they lost it. Then all of these vanish in the vast swamp of their elders who tell them persistently that maturity consists of abandoning one's mind; security, of abandoning one's values; practicality, of losing self-esteem. Yet a few hold on and move on, knowing that that fire is not to be betrayed, learning how to give it shape, purpose and reality. But whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential.

Some few men -- who survive the gauntlet of their own doubts -- achieve the essential, the ultimate, ideal. And it does not consist of "a businessman who understands that every undertaking needs to yield a certain level of profitability."

For that is a betrayal of one's greatest treasure: his own soul.

Sincerely,

City of Glass

City of Glass
May 2, 2003, 05:43 PM
Plow ahead toward your uncertain triumph, Gene-R.

It's for people like you that freedom and greatness should not be allowed to exist.

If you don't understand that -- you never will.

C.o.G.

City of Glass
May 2, 2003, 06:57 PM
My cousin's name is "Brad Fiedel." Run a search on imdb.com

C.o.G.

City of Glass
May 3, 2003, 03:27 AM
Go to the Apple Store, buy "Reason 2.0," download a few supplementary tracks, and create God-worthy concertos by twisting virtual "levers" and "knobs."

There's your stinking soundtrack.

City

of

Glass

City of Glass
May 3, 2003, 06:41 PM
This thread disgusts me.

I am literally sour in the stomach after reading the comments posted here -- what are we, vultures? The extent to which some people grope for "projects" like this is staggering, absolutely staggering . . .

Why are so many of you posting "mini-resumes," in the hopes of latching on to "good independent movie" or "Cannes film festival winning" success? In doing so your personal integrity is tarnished to the point of compulsive and unrestrained submission.

Do something for yourself . . . depend on no one.

Knowing a Sane Mind will Choose the Right Thing,

City

of

Glass

City of Glass
May 4, 2003, 05:36 AM
Please read. Carefully.

Be rational. But more: be selfishly rational. Don't allow THIS to be your only outlet for creative expression . . .

At this thread, my main concern is the geometric proliferation of interest in just an "indie film idea" -- the same "idea" which has not yet been objectively presented -- it's as if every member of MacRumors were suddenly in love with the notion of producing quality flicks, and not only that, but HAD PERSONAL EXPERIENCE doing so! Oh, yes, "my uncle is Van Ling" and "I interned at Skywalker Ranch in MArin for 2 yrs" and "I know this dude who works at EA games and he gave me all this recording gear and i make symphonies to rival MOzArt, man" and every other grotesque reproach to true creative genius which inhabits this whining wound of a thread.

Dstory -- "people" working to make "their dreams come true"? That is perhaps the broadest generality I have ever encountered -- the probability that all of you are genuine "I wish to be a filmmaker, like James Cameron, like Darron Aronofsky, like any other filmmaker in whom it is trendy to exhibit cultlike fanship" is extraordinarily low -- then again, with the seething comments I have received in response to what is nothing less than absolute rationality, it COULD very well be that this is the sub-class of beings under which you should remain appropriately catalogued.

And if that is true, which is exceedingly likely, I expect the next few responses to be nothing less than blind antagonism, shouted in direct dispute of -- not what I have said -- but the vague fragments of an impartial ideal which have managed to eke through the dense fog of non-intelligence, just hostile enough to activate the Reptilian "threat-defense" mechanism within your limited brains, causing it to send out the only "intelligent" words it remembers ("arrogant," "self-righteous," "indignant," no, not that one . . .) . . . for nothing other than the fat, lubricated satisfaction of believing itself phallically predominant over all proximate brain-centers.

"God, City, the wrecker of dreams . . . why must you go on? Get a life, bozo . . ."

"You're so full of it . . . you're the least intelligent gent I know . . ."

"Hmph. Bull. Let's just ignore this lifeless brat; here we were having the best of fun, playing 'Hollywood,' and old hag City had to come and mess everything up . . . listen: who cares what City says? He's not an architect; he's not a graphic designer; he's probably just some lonely, unemployed kid in Alviso with no other occupation than stealing his parent's piggy-bank money to suck down double quarter pounders from McDonalds . . . with a peculiar, though exceptionally borked, reverence for Ayn Rand . . ."

"Right on! I 2nd that."

"Yeah, I mean look at you, City. Who you tryin' to be? 'City of Glass says it's wrong so it must be'? Man, who you talkin' selfish to? Look at yo-self! You're the selfish pig! You're the guy who hasta be right! RighT! We just playin', man, we just trying to bring our latent talents into the fore, y'know? Nothing wrong with believing yerself . . ."

"KILL CITY OF GLASS! TERMINATE HIS ACCOUNT! DESTROY! DESTROY! DESTROY! WE MUST WORK TO ANNIHILATE CITY OF GLASS FROM ALL POSTINGS; HIS WORDS ARE A GENTLE ACID MORE POTENT THAN VENOM -- FOR THEY ARE THE WORDS OF THE IGNORAMUS, AND THEIR AMASSINGS OF UTTERLY FALSE INFORMATION WILL LEAD ONE DESPERATELY ASTRAY FROM THE PATH OF PERSONAL VALUES AND INTEGRITY -- HE IS THE SILENT WRECKING-BALL OF GROUPS, THE INSIDIOUS PLAGUE TO WHICH WE ARE SOMETIMES VULNERABLE . . . LET US BE VULNERABLE NO LONGER; CITY OF GLASS! YOUR TIME HAS COME! And gone . . ."

"City, let me quote your entire post, let me quote every little sentence within it, and then I will post a thrice-as-long dissertation pinpointing exactly why you are both (a) mentally deranged, and (b) of sub-normally low intelligence. And, overall, why you are completely and irrevocably wrong, by all accounts . . . I will even launch a petition, to be signed and acknowledged by all Macrumors members, testifying to the fact of your post's unforgivable acidity."

City of Glass
May 4, 2003, 07:33 PM
It's obvious that my intentions have been mangled and misinterpreted. For that I am regretful and apologetic.

To me, it has been readily apparent since the outset that I wish this movement only the best --

For those of you who saw only scorn and contempt, I apologize. For those who understood, though you have remained silent, thank you. It is in your spirit that the search for truth marches on.

And, forgive me if I am mislead, but isn't it the nature of forums like this to post and discuss comments -- whether good, bad, or indifferent?

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

P.S., To be clear: I am not submitting, here, to the strain of an unconstitutional plea for my own silencing -- I have a legal right to state my opinions freely, and another to demonstrate them. No moderator will ever change that. Even if I have to take him to court for it.

arn
May 4, 2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by City of Glass
P.S., To be clear: I am not submitting, here, to the strain of an unconstitutional plea for my own silencing -- I have a legal right to state my opinions freely, and another to demonstrate them. No moderator will ever change that. Even if I have to take him to court for it.

Actually, this is incorrect... this is a private forum and not protected by the constitution (w/ respect to free speech), and you must follow the admin/moderators rules.

arn