PDA

View Full Version : Ripping Video

mmzplanet
Dec 18, 2006, 10:26 AM
I am beginning to rip a lot of TV Shows I have on DVD to iTunes. We watch our TV shows a lot, and I figure the iTV will be awesome for us when it comes out. I want to get the best quality I can for TV but still remain iPod compatible. Of course drive space is always a concern, but not a problem at the moment. Quality comes first...you can always buy more drive space.

I currently started importing these using iSquint set on High, Optimize for TV, de-interlace, and H.264. Is this the best way? Friends episodes are coming out to average 220MB each. Not too bad, it seems to be on par with an iTunes purchased show. Each episode takes about 120 minutes to process. (1.9 G5 iMac, 1GB RAM)

Any suggestions, criticisms, or insight anyone can offer?

Chundles
Dec 18, 2006, 10:31 AM
I am beginning to rip a lot of TV Shows I have on DVD to iTunes. We watch our TV shows a lot, and I figure the iTV will be awesome for us when it comes out. I want to get the best quality I can for TV but still remain iPod compatible. Of course drive space is always a concern, but not a problem at the moment. Quality comes first...you can always buy more drive space.

I currently started importing these using iSquint set on High, Optimize for TV, de-interlace, and H.264. Is this the best way? Friends episodes are coming out to average 220MB each. Not too bad, it seems to be on par with an iTunes purchased show. Each episode takes about 120 minutes to process. (1.9 G5 iMac, 1GB RAM)

Any suggestions, criticisms, or insight anyone can offer?

Sounds pretty good, if you're not concerned about space, bump the iSquint quality settings up to "Go Nuts." That gives you the full 1.5MBps encoding rate of the newest iTunes videos. They look pretty good.

killmoms
Dec 18, 2006, 10:33 AM
They look pretty good.

They'd look better if the iPod supported Main Profile. ::grumblegrumble::

Oh well, I'm not buying one until they do. :D

mmzplanet
Dec 18, 2006, 05:17 PM
Sounds pretty good, if you're not concerned about space, bump the iSquint quality settings up to "Go Nuts." That gives you the full 1.5MBps encoding rate of the newest iTunes videos. They look pretty good.

I'll see how that goes :D Is there a big difference between the two? And is the quality you get worth the additional space.