PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac Dead?

TyleRomeo
Dec 18, 2006, 12:55 PM
okay guys, i really need your help on this one. I've got a dual 2.0GHZ G5 (the original one from 2003), apple care just ran out on it and its not starting up. Here's whats going on. It will turn on, the apple logo apears, the blue progress bar shows up, it goes all the way thru then it goes to the blue aqua screen and then a second later the cursor vanishes. The CPU is crunching away and after 10-20 seconds the back spinny shut down circle pops up and then it goes away and the monitor just keeps pulsating with the blue aqua screen and no mouse cursor.

I've re-installed OSX tiger (with it set to archive). The same issue happens, blue aqua screen. I've also ran disk utities and all the hard drives had no errors or issues with them. Has anyone had this issue before and/or have a solution for it. Thank you so much.

product26
Dec 18, 2006, 02:00 PM
use the disk utility on the installation DVD to check the SMART status of your drive.

best case scenario is a bad hard drive. easy to replace, and it sounds like you may still be able to rescue your files.

TyleRomeo
Dec 18, 2006, 05:43 PM
use the disk utility on the installation DVD to check the SMART status of your drive.

best case scenario is a bad hard drive. easy to replace, and it sounds like you may still be able to rescue your files.

the hard drive is fine, smart status is okay, any other suggestions? could this just be a software bug? or did someone hack into my mac and disable my account? is that why it won't go past the log in section?

baxterbrittle
Dec 18, 2006, 05:58 PM
Try booting into single user mode and running fsck. This often helps with booting issues. If you have another Mac or HDD try using TDM to backup your data and then do a clean install. Doing archieve and install will often leave the same problem in place (sounds like system is booting but user account is causing issues). You can also try an external HDD if you have one, do a fresh install on that and try booting, then use migration assistant to transfer the user data over. Once completed see if it boots properly. If it does backup any remaining files and then image the external (or second) drive onto the main drive. If it no longer boots your drive is probably stuffed.

Killyp
Dec 18, 2006, 06:01 PM
Tried flashing the PRAM? Possibly even faulty RAM...