Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christiancman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
Is there a way to have itunes search your computer and have it import all the music into itself..I have music stashed in files all over my comp from years of downloads abd so forth...or do you have to move every song individually?

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Is there a way to have itunes search your computer and have it import all the music into itself..I have music stashed in files all over my comp from years of downloads abd so forth...or do you have to move every song individually?
What happens if you hit add to library and select your HD?

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
What happens if you hit add to library and select your HD?
I wouldn't do that...

Try this instead.
Open any Finder window. Type any letter into the Spotlight search box in the Finder window (not the one in the top right hand conner of your screen)
And add the "Kind", "Music" rule. Now Spotlight should list every audio file on you hard drive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 52

christiancman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
specifically

specifically I have a list of songs that appears under shared all the way on the right hand side under shared owners limewire,and I cannot figure out how to put them in my itunes library and then into my shuffle,any help will be greatly appreciated
whnever i click on it a whole new window appears with the songs but I still cant get them to do anything other than play on the computer

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
how do i bring up the finder window

option n will only work if finder is already selected. it looks like a blue smily face in the dock. or you can double click on "Macintosh HD".

Finder is the file browser, a bit like Explorer for windows except it doesnt crash all the time, and if it does, you dont have to restart the whole computer :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh, I'm going to fall in love with this thread.

If you're using Windows, I'm not sure if anyone here knows how to find all the files on a Windows hard drive that are music files. Most of us don't have Windows computers, at least at home. Try using the search function of Explorer.

Also use complete sentences... communicate like someone older than six....

Tourist

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
You should.... Unless you're using a non-apple keyboard. Or you're not using a Mac.

Err not necessarily , remember the Apple Key/Command Key now has that whizzy symbol thingee that looks like a bit like a celtic knot :), I havent seen a mac with an actual honest to god Apple-Key for a while now,

christiancman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
ok

Ok ,I guess thats the problem.I am not using a mac.I am using windows.Thanks for all the help ,I guess I will just have to figure this out on my own.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Err not necessarily , remember the Apple Key/Command Key now has that whizzy symbol thingee that looks like a bit like a celtic knot :), I havent seen a mac with an actual honest to god Apple-Key for a while now,
I haven't seen one without. My MacBook Pro has one. So does my iMac G5. So did my old Macintosh Centris.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
In windows: click start > Search > for files and folders
Select "all files and folders"
Type *.mp3 in the box and hit enter (this is assuming your music files are mp3s)
Select all the mp3s (ctrl-a) and drag them into itunes (drop them on the part marked library)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.