PDA

View Full Version : G3 iMac Automatic Shutdown Problem please help!

superscientific
May 4, 2003, 09:53 PM
My Dad has a 700 Mhz G3 iMac with 640 mb ram.
Before the 10.2.5 Update things were fine.
After the update the system runs for about 10 min then the Auto Shutdown ( Gray Screen ) comes up and then you have to restart it. It won't run more than 10 min without doing it again.
Ran the Diagnostic Test and it shows that everything is fine. We Reinstalled the OS and ran it in 10.2 and it ran fine for a few hours and I thought the problem was solved. Then we updated everything then it started again. Has anyone else had this problem?? and do you guys know what it is that triggers the Auto Shutdown?
The comp is almost 3 years old I think and of course I live in FL so no Applecare =(
Thanks for your help

Danny

rainman::|:|
May 4, 2003, 10:14 PM
For the record, and to get more responses in the future, that's not an automatic shutdown, it's a Kernel Panic. The one and only OS X true crash.

Try removing all but the original RAM. i'll bet that's your culprit right there. OS X doesn't like cheap RAM--

pnw

superscientific
May 4, 2003, 10:26 PM
But he has had that RAM in there for almost 3 years lol and Running OS X for at least a year since it has been out...
But I will try that
Thank you so much

Danny

rainman::|:|
May 4, 2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by superscientific
But he has had that RAM in there for almost 3 years lol and Running OS X for at least a year since it has been out...
But I will try that
Thank you so much

Danny

i know, that gave me pause as well, but X is really weird about RAM. the upgrade could have changed something, god only knows. I only suggest it as the usual cause of kernel panics--

let us know how it goes, we can help you troubleshoot it further if need be--

:)
pnw

superscientific
May 5, 2003, 06:39 AM
ok I will try it today and let you know

iJon
May 5, 2003, 08:03 AM
you should zap your pram, that fixes things alot sometimes.

iJon

superscientific
May 5, 2003, 08:09 PM
sorry what does that mean ?