Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
James writes:

Just been doing some research on the 1394b standard as it all seems to have gone very quiet.

A ballot in January saw 98% in favour of the standard.

On the 20th March the IEEE-SA Standards Board Review committee have the 1394b (draft 1.3.3) on their agenda for "Proposed Standards for Review & Recommendation"
(http://standards.ieee.org/board/rev/302agen.html)

I found even better info of Apple\'s commitment the this new standard on:
http://standards.ieee.org/db/patents/pat1390.html

It states that this assurance was received on 10 December 2001. Looks like it wont be long till we see the next generation Firewire.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Firewire Post-Its

Why does 3M (aka Minnestoa Mining and Manufaturing) have anything to do with 1394b?
3M is planning on making Firewire Post-Its. You'll be able to import all of your most imports scribbles right onto your Mac with extremely fast data transfer rates. The only downside is that it'll only be availble in the boring yellow color.:D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
1394b

According to sources on the net this type of Firewire can go up to 800Mbps or even higher. I would not be surprised if Apple came out with another iPod in the future, that can sync music at 20 Megabytes per second.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
we have all been expecting firewire2 for awhile. but heres a question. remember the "gigawire" rumors of awhile back (someone here is even named gigawire). some people speculated that apple woudl called firewire2 gigawire (since the speeds are around 1gb) others picked about the patent entry and took noticed of several mentioned of wireless technology and therefore thought gigawire was something different that had something to do with wireless tech. so, after all that, what is gigawire and how does it play into the apple strategy? (if it is just a new name for firewire2 then why the patent?, but of course it doesnt make sense as anything else)

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Re: 1394b

Originally posted by King Cobra
According to sources on the net this type of Firewire can go up to 800Mbps or even higher. I would not be surprised if Apple came out with another iPod in the future, that can sync music at 20 Megabytes per second.

oh they very well are comming out with another iPod. its going to be the rev b model. i know it will be way more versitile.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Firewire Post-Its

Originally posted by ftaok

3M is planning on making Firewire Post-Its. You'll be able to import all of your most imports scribbles right onto your Mac with extremely fast data transfer rates. The only downside is that it'll only be availble in the boring yellow color.:D

I think you just made my day
:)

Now, if only I could get Forte For Java for OS X with a tutorial that I don't have to debug myself, I would be jumping up and down

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: 1394b

Originally posted by krossfyter

oh they very well are comming out with another iPod. its going to be the rev b model. i know it will be way more versitile.

The only reason I have not bought one yet has been waiting for revisions. I am not too fussed about the HDD since I will only use it for music and 1000 songs is good enough for me but I would love for it to have Firewire 2 and the remote control that it is enabled for.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: 1394b

Originally posted by krossfyter

BTW, congrats. on getting to 500... most impressed..... nice image.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
gigawire ipod

if apple is planning on updating the ipod any time soon, i can almost guarentee that it wont be with gigawire. unless gigawire will also be compatable with original firewire, people will have to buy whole new macs to make use of the ipod. apple was only able to use firewire in the ipod because they had been shipping all their macs with firewire for years. makers of pc mp3 players dont use firewire in their products because they are targeting the pc market which doesnt ship firewire with consumer computers.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: gigawire ipod

Originally posted by elfin buddy
if apple is planning on updating the ipod any time soon, i can almost guarentee that it wont be with gigawire. unless gigawire will also be compatable with original firewire, people will have to buy whole new macs to make use of the ipod. apple was only able to use firewire in the ipod because they had been shipping all their macs with firewire for years. makers of pc mp3 players dont use firewire in their products because they are targeting the pc market which doesnt ship firewire with consumer computers.

While I agree that they would not eliminate the regular Firewire market unless Firewire 2 is backwards compatable like USB 2, I would imagine that Apple would want to get that technology into the iPod as soon as possible, though I do not believe that this would be straight away.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
there you guys go using the terms firewire2 and gigawire interchangably again. jeez we dont even know what gigawire is yet. i mean using the name gigawire for firewire2 seems the most plausible but who knows. id like to hear some more about this before i make up my mind. and firewire2 will be backward compatible i mean duh. im sure they could make an ipod with firewire2 that would work with firewire ports. thats just common sense.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
In adition to my original post, 1394b is backwards compatible. the major improvements are increased data transfer. From 800Mbps upto 3.2Gbps - depending on type of cable being used. Also an increase of distance upto 100m (again depending on cable type being used).

When the IEEE decides on this standard on the 20th, I will check out the results and if I find anything more will post it!

James.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
wireless firewire

1394b has some interesting potential, including compatibility with 802.11 and being able to send TCP/IP packets.

Intel was supposedly demonstrating a HDTV that's controlled wirelessly by a PC. Wireless Firewire (oxymoron...) could have major uses for digital lifestyle devices.

Also, 1394b, I believe, has a range of 100 ft. If this TCP/IP-firewire ever pans out, you'll be able to wire your whole house using firewire and wireless firewire. A single hardware standard for all your computers and gadgets. Could be nice.

Read about it here: http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0108/01.floor.shtml

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.