PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Games: Sudoku and Royal Solitaire

MacRumors
Dec 19, 2006, 09:10 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple posted two new iPod games to their iTunes Store today: Sudoku (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewGame?id=209154073&s=143441) and Royal Solitaire (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewGame?id=209173646&s=143441)

iLounge provides (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ea-releases-sudoku-royal-solitaire-for-ipod/9183) descriptions and screenshots of the two new iPod games.

Sudoku is a popular logic game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku) and Royal Solitaire includes 10 popular versions of solitaire, including Canfield, Klondike, Peaks, Pyramid, Beleaguered Castle, Aces Up, Yukon, FreeCell, Golf, and Scorpion.

Both titles are available from the iTunes Store for United States, United Kingdom, and certain other European customers; at present, they do not appear to be universally available in international stores. As of press time, Japanese customers can see Royal Solitaire but not Sudoku, while other iTunes Stores such as Canada have neither title available.

Apple first introduced iPod games to the iTunes Store in September (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060912154141.shtml).

Crispy Duck
Dec 19, 2006, 09:12 AM
Might have to purchase Sudoku

miketcool
Dec 19, 2006, 09:13 AM
An updated solitare was a no brainer. Cool update though!

Stella
Dec 19, 2006, 09:15 AM
Playing games on the iPod isn't the greatest thing - the scroll wheel ( at least on mine ) is too inconsistent.

Needs a better input method.

Flowbee
Dec 19, 2006, 09:18 AM
This is great. Sudoku is just what I've been hoping for! Look for a review on my website later today.

I haven't had any problems using the scroll wheel for the games. Tetris is the trickiest, but most of the others are surprisingly easy to control with a little practice.

amols
Dec 19, 2006, 09:19 AM
Nice...now where's Mario and Zelda and....oh well, never mind :D

Rychiar
Dec 19, 2006, 09:22 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring games i dunno how to play, bring on Snood!:p

wPod
Dec 19, 2006, 09:23 AM
no, not sudoku! so addicting, ill never be able to put down my iPod! but i guess i wont find out until i get home from work! only 7 hours!

thejadedmonkey
Dec 19, 2006, 09:32 AM
yay, lets all pay for Solitaire..

How long until iPod doesn't come with games? Just like cell phones used to, and now they dont, I feel the iPod is going in the same direction.

Switched2aMac
Dec 19, 2006, 09:33 AM
I'm glad to see more games coming out

narco
Dec 19, 2006, 09:34 AM
c'mon, they should release Pong. Especially if there's ever a Wifi iPod. If not, Centipede would be awesome. Or that Snake game.

Fishes,
narco.

Annndy!
Dec 19, 2006, 09:52 AM
I'm still only interested in two or three games so far. I'm really not much for puzzle/card playing games. Bring on some more classic arcade games, Apple! :cool:

teme
Dec 19, 2006, 09:56 AM
I like these iPod games, because they don't need a long play time... simple and short enough. I have Nintendo DS, but most DS games require too much time. iPod games are great mini games, and it has been great to notice that they all have been very well made so far. The price point is also okay with me, cheaper than many crappy low-quality games for mobile phones.

Annndy!
Dec 19, 2006, 09:58 AM
I like these iPod games, because they don't need a long play time... simple and short enough. I have Nintendo DS, but most DS games require too much time. iPod games are great mini games, and it has been great to notice that they all have been very well made so far. The price point is also okay with me, cheaper than many crappy low-quality games for mobile phones.

Try Wario Ware for the DS if you're not happy with the length of most DS games. Fast, quirky and addictive gameplay.

teme
Dec 19, 2006, 09:59 AM
Try Wario Ware for the DS if you're not happy with the length of most DS games. Fast, quirky and addictive gameplay.

I had that for GBA, maybe I'll try the DS version too. I liked it.

Clive At Five
Dec 19, 2006, 10:08 AM

How long until iPod doesn't come with games? Just like cell phones used to, and now they dont, I feel the iPod is going in the same direction.

Well, one, you don't have to buy the games, and two the iPod, as opposed to a cell phone, is an entertainment device.

As soon as someone ports Escape Velocity to iPod, I will be on board.

hahaha, pun intended?? You'll never know!

-Clive

hob
Dec 19, 2006, 10:12 AM
Warioware is fantastic.

I'm looking for a new DS game... I'm intertested in Starfox, I've already got New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart and Brain Training... Any suggestions?

This iPod gaming thing made me suddenly remember the rumour that Apple might integrate a console into iTV somehow...

But then I thought they'd have had to send out an SDK by now, and SOMEONE would've leaked something about it.... surely...

agentkow
Dec 19, 2006, 10:18 AM
Correction to the original post: both games are available in the Canadian store...

Agathon
Dec 19, 2006, 10:21 AM
Funny. I bought the Mah Jong game a few hours ago, and I noticed those two games, but thought nothing of it.

maconservative
Dec 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
BATTLEFIELD 2

Annndy!
Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 AM
Warioware is fantastic.

I'm looking for a new DS game... I'm intertested in Starfox, I've already got New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart and Brain Training... Any suggestions?

This iPod gaming thing made me suddenly remember the rumour that Apple might integrate a console into iTV somehow...

But then I thought they'd have had to send out an SDK by now, and SOMEONE would've leaked something about it.... surely...

Animal Crossing: Wild World, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, any of the Castlevania DS games...

Digitaljim
Dec 19, 2006, 10:50 AM
*yawn*

Anyone else seriously underwhelmed by all the iPod games? I can't really believe they have the cheek to charge for them. But I suppose other people must not mind mediocrity (perhaps they'd like to consider a Zune for their next mp3 player...)

kresh
Dec 19, 2006, 10:55 AM
*yawn*

Anyone else seriously underwhelmed by all the iPod games? I can't really believe they have the cheek to charge for them. But I suppose other people must not mind mediocrity (perhaps they'd like to consider a Zune for their next mp3 player...)

Oh, those games are free with Zune? I didn't know that.

islandman
Dec 19, 2006, 10:57 AM
BATTLEFIELD 2

LOL now THAT would be interesting on a scroll wheel. :)

Kernow
Dec 19, 2006, 11:20 AM
Ooooooh - Sudoku. I might just have to get that one. Anyone know how tough the puzzles are?

kohei
Dec 19, 2006, 11:33 AM
http://i14.tinypic.com/4csl3jq.png
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Just click on the link at the news thread, I am a japanese user, it brings me to the JAPANESE SUDOKU!!!

;) :D :D

steelfist
Dec 19, 2006, 11:45 AM
if they can create a game simaler to geometry wars, it would sell great. although you need two direction controls, it's still possible, look at the mobile version of geometry wars. i'm sure apple can pull it off, even without any copyright problems.

the two new games are a welcome addition. does royale solitare have a spider-solitare like game?

dejo
Dec 19, 2006, 11:50 AM
This is good news. My only two requests (thus far) concerning the iPod Games:
1) They need to change the control mechanism for Pac Man. A simple up, down, left, right should suffice. Yes, I know that would go against the principle that pressing Menu (Up) always does a menu-type action but, in this case, I think it's justified.
2) Release a Mac OS X player module that allows you to play these games on your Mac and not just on the iPod. That would rock!

MarcelV
Dec 19, 2006, 12:02 PM
Lifetime Original Movies. You can find time under TV Shows, Lifetime. Price for the full length TV movies is 3.99.
Just in case you're interested. I am not, but have the feeling the wife will buy them. And yes, yes, will use my cc. :D

JonHimself
Dec 19, 2006, 12:05 PM
2) Release a Mac OS X player module that allows you to play these games on your Mac and not just on the iPod. That would rock!

That is a really great idea! It can't be that hard, can it? All of the games have basic controls anyways, so it wouldn't be hard to switch from using a scroll wheel to using a keypad especially since most (all?) of the games used one in the first place...

Flowbee
Dec 19, 2006, 12:10 PM
Ooooooh - Sudoku. I might just have to get that one. Anyone know how tough the puzzles are?

There are 5 difficulty settings... easy, normal, hard, very hard, and insane (unlockable).

I'm no sudoku master by any means, just a casual player, but here are my impressions:

Easy is very easy... beginners only.
Normal would be reasonbly easy for someone with a bit of experience.
Hard is what I would consider "normal"
Very Hard is pretty dang tough... but certainly do-able, if you understand the mechanics of solving these kinds of puzzles.

I haven't unlocked Insane.

Maccus Aurelius
Dec 19, 2006, 12:27 PM
*yawn*

5 bucks is nothing really. The only game I bought is Tetris for my ipod, and I've been enjoying it ever since. I'm actually amazed that the clickwheel works better with that game than the Gameboy controls did, as I can do everything just as fast or faster with just one thumb. It's just an extra, the iPod itself is hardly mediocre. If the ipod was nothing but a player for these games, then that word would apply. But since the iPod's primary function is to play music and now video media, I wouldn't expect it to be the world's greatest handheld gaming machine, or even runner up.

Maccus Aurelius
Dec 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
This is good news. My only two requests (thus far) concerning the iPod Games:
1) They need to change the control mechanism for Pac Man. A simple up, down, left, right should suffice. Yes, I know that would go against the principle that pressing Menu (Up) always does a menu-type action but, in this case, I think it's justified.

YES!

AppliedVisual
Dec 19, 2006, 12:42 PM
*yawn*

I concur...

Apple needs to open up iPod game development a bit. I'm not saying they should release the iPod SDK along with XCode, but they need to allow more developers an opportunity to make something cool. The current offerings of the same old crap available everywhere is rather uninspired and boring.

jmbear
Dec 19, 2006, 12:54 PM
Must... buy... Sudoku...

Flowbee
Dec 19, 2006, 01:21 PM

The iPod ships with a basic solitaire game. Royal Solitaire includes 10 differeint solitaire games... not a bad deal for $5, IMHO.

ibidiem
Dec 19, 2006, 02:14 PM
My gf plays Cubis everynight in bed, before sleep. Apparently, it relaxes her. Which means she doesn't keep me up with her pre-sleep jitters. :)

I've played all the games but for B_jeweled & P_man. Mahjong was the most disappointing, Minigolf the best designed, Hold 'Em the most educational (I really must learn when to fold 'em!) and Zuma, for whatever reason, the game I've played the most.

But I'm waiting for Lux (http://sillysoft.net/lux/) to be ported to the 'pod. That would truly make my day.

iLux Portable: world conquest in the palm of your hand!

ibidiem
Dec 19, 2006, 03:51 PM
iLux: rule the world — singlehandedly!!!

japanime
Dec 19, 2006, 05:24 PM
http://i14.tinypic.com/4csl3jq.png
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Just click on the link at the news thread, I am a japanese user, it brings me to the JAPANESE SUDOKU!!!

;) :D :D

"Sudoku" is a registered trademark in Japan, and neither Apple nor Electronic Arts is the trademark owner. (It's owned by a publishing company that started the Sudoku craze about a dozen years ago.)

I wonder if Apple and/or EA were aware of this...

samh004
Dec 19, 2006, 06:00 PM
Correction to the original post: both games are available in the Canadian store...

I mentioned this earlier on MR, well before this news story was made and cited the Canadian store specifically as having them as that's the store I was in... jeez!

I don't know what they were thinking when they made this article.

Roderick Usher
Dec 19, 2006, 07:04 PM
And if you've got an Apple II, you can run a quick Sudoku solver (http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/Sudoku.html) too. (Written only five months ago!)

savanahrose
Dec 19, 2006, 07:08 PM
Lifetime Original Movies. You can find time under TV Shows, Lifetime. Price for the full length TV movies is 3.99.
Just in case you're interested. I am not, but have the feeling the wife will buy them. And yes, yes, will use my cc. :D

I love most of the movies from lifetime. Thanks for the info.

Chaszmyr
Dec 19, 2006, 07:16 PM
I would definitely buy Sudoku if I had a 5th gen iPod. I'm glad Apple is continuing to release more iPod games.

kohei
Dec 19, 2006, 09:00 PM
"Sudoku" is a registered trademark in Japan, and neither Apple nor Electronic Arts is the trademark owner. (It's owned by a publishing company that started the Sudoku craze about a dozen years ago.)

I wonder if Apple and/or EA were aware of this...i see..that's why the PSP/NDS does not have 'sudoku' as their sudoku games?
the preview of japanese sudoku on iPod is cool, the bgm is pretty much Japanese style I wonder if I should buy it now as I want this game in fact. :p

Kernow
Dec 20, 2006, 06:57 AM
There are 5 difficulty settings... easy, normal, hard, very hard, and insane (unlockable).

I'm no sudoku master by any means, just a casual player, but here are my impressions:

Easy is very easy... beginners only.
Normal would be reasonbly easy for someone with a bit of experience.
Hard is what I would consider "normal"
Very Hard is pretty dang tough... but certainly do-able, if you understand the mechanics of solving these kinds of puzzles.

I haven't unlocked Insane.

Cool - thank you. :)

I buy The Times every day here in the UK just to do the Suduko and can cope with pretty much all but the most difficult ones they publish, so I guess I would be around the hard/very hard mark. I just didn't want to waste my money if they were all aimed at beginners.

JeffDM
Dec 20, 2006, 10:13 PM
That is a really great idea! It can't be that hard, can it? All of the games have basic controls anyways, so it wouldn't be hard to switch from using a scroll wheel to using a keypad especially since most (all?) of the games used one in the first place...

You'd have to have an emulator to make the same game download work on a computer.

IntenseKipp
Dec 21, 2006, 05:55 PM
do these game download work with NANO's???

Flowbee
Dec 21, 2006, 06:17 PM
do these game download work with NANO's???

Incredibly, you can find the answer right on the iTunes games page...