PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 superdrive won't burn double layers - common problem? How to replace?

Taustin Powers
Dec 19, 2006, 10:22 AM
So my super drive is not able to write double layer dvd's, even though it's supposed to, as confirmed by the System Profiler. I'm using the right kind of blanks (DVD+R DL), tried different brands, and it always just stops with a "media writer error" right away. It recognizes them as writable disks when I insert them, but simply refuses to actually write.

It's the 17" G5 iSight model. Is there an easier way to fix this than to send the whole thing to Apple to have the drive replaced? Also, how much does it run for Apple to install a new super drive for me? I bought it in October last year, so no warranty....

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K05
Firmware Revision: Q523

Queso
Dec 19, 2006, 10:28 AM
If I were you, I'd ring Apple, and without mentioning the problem, say you forgot to purchase AppleCare and would they still allow you to do so? As the machine is only a few weeks out of warranty they may allow it.

If they do, get the agreement all signed up and registered before hitting them with the fault. It'll take longer but will be a lot cheaper if you can swing it.

Best of luck.